Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS160 Problem

Old 08-06-2007, 08:47 AM
jayjayneri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS160 Problem

Hi Troy,

I have a YS160 in an Xtreme Composite Astral XX using a Budd mount with nose ring. This particular engine has been rebuilt by YS Japan. I got the engine back from Mr. Yamada during the CAOCC last year. The engine run fine for about 4 gallons of Coolpower 30%. Then it would start sputtering and sometimes quit when I get to any of the last three meneuvers of P07. I noticed that there was some oil residue on the L shaped tube that goes from the head to the carb at the back of the engine. So I changed the 2 O rings inside the head. No more oil residue on the tube but the rubber part of the mount is still a little wet with what I believe is fuel from the carb and the engine still sputters and/or quits. All the fuel lines seem to be okay. We are having our natioals in two weeks so I have to get this solved quickly. Any ideas on what is wrong? Thanks a lot.

Jayjay
Old 08-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: YS160 Problem

first off change the glow plug and see if it helps.

Then look for the leak. The valve cover could be leaking. A new gasket will help there. Next is engine could be justa little rich on the pump. This could cause a little extra spray from the carb Fuel tank and other issues could be the cause of it quiting toward the end of the flight.

Also check the injector check valve. Is the fitting that fuel line atatches to loose in the plastic of the check valve. If so this will make it go lean and quit. I have seen this happen recently. Especially when people remove the fuel line support bracket from the engine. This allows the fuel line to twist and swing while the ngien is running and puts stress on the plastic injector check valve.

This check valve can be replaced or removed. The engine will run well if proerly setup without the check valve. It will just get a msall surge after a long time at idle like during a spin.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 08-06-2007, 11:01 AM
jayjayneri

Thanks for your inputs Troy. I forgot to say that the first thing I did was change the glow plug and that's not the problem. The sputtering I am talking about is of the lean kind, not the rich kind. That much I am sure of. Now that you mention it, I do think it may be the injector check valve. I recall it being a little loose when I started having this problem. I just tightened it by hand andforgot about it. I will check on it tomorow and let you know what I find. Is the checkvalve inside the black plastic housing or is that the checkvalve itself? Any way to repair this or do I have to replce it? Thanks a lot.

Jayjay
Old 08-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Troy Newman

The black Plastic deal is the check valve.

I have seen two failure modes of this thing. One the plastic is just pressed onto the injector nozzle. If the plactic injector wobbles or turns easily...not the top threaded part but the entire body of the check valve it needs to be replaced. Next is the alumnum fuel line fitting in the check valve. I have seen these come out and the engine goes lean and backfires.

There is no way to fix either problem. Replace the check vlave, or just remove it and runa fuel line up there until you can get a replacement.

DO NOT try to remove it and then re-install it. The plastic material is made to go on one time and then it will crack when you take it off. So removing it means you need to throw it away never re-use this part.

The engine will run without it. Only after a long idle like in a spin will you notice any difference in the way it runs without the check valve on the injector.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 08-08-2007, 10:52 AM
jayjayneri

Hi Troy! The black plastic check valve is fit slugly. It can be turned side to side but is tight and not loose. The plastic clip is istalled so it does not move when the engine is running. I changes all the fuel lines including the one inside the tank. Will try it out tomorrow. Can I take the plastic check valve out and use the check valve for th pressurized S airplane or helicopter engines instead until the correct check valve I ordered arrives or is it better to run it without a check valve for the meantime? Also, my carb seems to be spitting out some fuel since the top rubber portion of the soft mount and the rear of the beams get wet with oil while the top and front part of the engine as well as all the fuel lines are bone dry. What should I do about this if anything? Thanks.

Jayjay
Old 08-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Troy Newman

Yes you can put a regular check valve in place of the other one on the injector nozzle. I have installed then in the injector line going to the head...but this is a tough place as the check valve will get beat up. I suggest putting in between the pump and carb. I currently have a 160 with this setup in it. It works great.

If the plastic one rotates easily its probably leaking. When a new one is installed it will not move hardly at all. Very tight. Try running without it and you will see there is not much difference. Its very subtle.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 08-10-2007, 11:27 AM
jayjayneri

Hi Troy! Took out the black check valve and replaced it with a YS heli enginge regulator check valve. Runtime improved by 2 mins before it coughs/sputters/leans out so am now able to barely finish the schedule but still not normal because there is still a bit of fuel left in the tank . Any other ideas? Where else should I check for a leak? Thanks.

Jayjay
Old 08-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Troy Newman

Fuel tank issues...perhaps you have a foam clunk that needs some attension...I don't know...

What regulator check valve are you using. I have never owned a YS heli engine so I don't know what you are talking about. If its a regulator YS check valve part# YS0405 it will work fine. As I stated before you can also fly it without and it will work fine. The difference is very slight

As for fuel economy I can't really answer this question for you....If your pump is a little too rich and the HS is a on the lean side...this can be a way that lots of fuel will be sent through the engine when its at mid throttle and it will get poor economy.

Also I have no idea what size tank you are using.

I'm using a 20oz K+S tank...600cc I think and I usually get 13-15mins out of this tank flying a P-07 or F-07 maneuver set.

i can actually fly both P and F in the same flight.

Your throttle usage will also be a huge influence on fuel economy too.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 08-14-2007, 09:20 PM
jayjayneri

Hi Troy. One last question. Which way should the check valve be allowing air to go thru? Is it from the cylinder head to the carb or from ths carb to the cylinder head? Just want to make sure. Thanks. And I will seriously consider getting an Adventure. That being said, I love the way the Astral XXc flies so I may end up getting that instead. Would have been nice to get both but too expensive at the moment.

Jayjay
Old 08-14-2007, 10:41 PM
Troy Newman

Jayjay...I'm not sure I should really answer you. You know its not too hard to figure out. which way do you want the fuel to go?

There is no air in the injector line. Its fuel flow .....so which way do you think it needs to go?

Its an easy one and you get 100 extra credit points if you get it right.

Tell me what you think.....

The Astral XXc is an excellent model. I have been very please with its quality and flying properties. Played with the composite version and it didn't snap very well in comparison, how it was a little heavier too...like 10.75lbs. My Oxai is 10lbs even actually 4536g right now.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 08-15-2007, 12:34 PM
jayjayneri

Ok, so it needs to go to the head from the carb. Duh, why didnt I think of it that way?

You are absolutely right about the Astral XXc compared to the composite on. It snaps like a dream and is much lighter. It also rolls and tracks better in my opinion maybe because it has a deeper fuselage and lighter wings. It is just a different much better airplane. The only downside is that it is much more fragile to handle that the composite plane.

Do you know if Oxai will make the Altair or Aries soon? Maybe I should wait for that? I will try to find out from my sources in Japan who are close to Naruke-san but maybe you know something?

Jayjay