Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Goldberg YAK 54 - 77"

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Goldberg YAK 54 - 77"

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 10:37 AM
scalebirdman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg YAK 54 - 77"

ORIGINAL: Scooterpilot

Mystar 46,

Nice looking Satio on the YAK. After looking at your pic's I went over to the Horizon Hobby site. I was trying to find out what the fuel consumption per minute is on the Saito 220 ? Do you have any idea what the fuel consumption per minute is on you motor?

I bet that motor is going to pull that YAK with no problem at all.

Thanks

Scooterpilot

Magnum Fuels
I haven't gotten around to checking the fuel consumption. I pulled the wings off my Bandito Grande (picture below. RIP [&o])with it before I got to that point. Unlike the 180 which doesn't give you a whole lot more than a 150 except worse fuel economy, this 220 is a major increase in power.

Mystar: The rule of thumb for 2 to 3 blade comparison is go down 1" in dia, and 1" in pitch for the extra blade. A Graupner 16/8 is a good match for a Saito 150 or 180, but you will find it just isn't quite enough prop for the 220. I was running a 16/10 3 blade master, and a 20/8 apc. I bought a pair of bolly 19/8 cf props to run the yak on. I'll see how it goes, and maybe order the larger pumped carb for the 220.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52626.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	389551  
Old 01-17-2006, 10:23 PM
mystar46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice looking Satio on the YAK. After looking at your pic's I went over to the Horizon Hobby site. I was trying to find out what the fuel consumption per minute is on the Saito 220 ? Do you have any idea what the fuel consumption per minute is on you motor?
Thanks Scooterpilot. I didn't see anywhere in the manual about fuel consumption rates. They do say that the carb has such good draw that they excluded the choke on this model though. On the other hand they also mentioned the pump and carb option but it seems that it is mostly used for remote fuel tank installations where the lines are longer than usual.
Not sure if you saw it on Horizon's support page but you can download the Saito large engine manual at http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...der_Manual.pdf
Old 01-17-2006, 10:37 PM
jlkonn
My Feedback: (1)

Bill Robison over on Club Saito has said that a good rule of thumb on fuel consumption is 1oz per minute per cubic inch at full throttle.
Of course reduced throttle will increase fuel mileage.
JLK
Old 01-18-2006, 02:00 PM
norcal tom

I'm setting up the pull-pull. If I cross the cables it lines up pretty good. It will just barly touch the rear former using the dubro servo arm. Do you think it will be okay if I run the cable through 2 pushrod tubes crossed at the best point?? I'm thinking since the wire isn't touching, there should be no interference. It will be a lot nicer than hacking up the rear former.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:29 PM
mystar46

Do you think it will be okay if I run the cable through 2 pushrod tubes crossed at the best point?? I'm thinking since the wire isn't touching, there should be no interference. It will be a lot nicer than hacking up the rear former.
norcal tom, I would think that would be OK. I wouldn't call drilling 2 9/64" holes in the former "hacking it up" either though. Mine came out pretty nice that way. From what I've read in this thread, some have done it either way with good results. Like Aerobob said in his post, anything you can do to avoid drag and binding will give you better control surface return to center and less work for the servos. Let us know how yours works out if you end up crossing them.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:40 PM
judsterky
My Feedback: (4)

I was thinking about purchasing this plane. I never had a gas one yet. I like to know if this plane is hard to build and if the Manual is well illustrated and written. Personally I like the Sig, and Great Planes manuals. I just hate the guessing game. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2006, 09:12 AM
norcal tom

Thanks Dave, I'll go ahead and try it. "Hacking" was just a relative term. It was definatly not aimed at anyone other than myself. 9/64 holes are totally feasable. I actually forgot that you put those holes in the former.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:24 AM
pattyrookie

will this plane hold up with one servo per aileron?is your balance a little nose heavy?what size i.d. on gas feed to your gas motor? what was your weight of plane when finished?
Old 01-19-2006, 01:56 PM
e28m5
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: judsterky

I was thinking about purchasing this plane. I never had a gas one yet. I like to know if this plane is hard to build and if the Manual is well illustrated and written. Personally I like the Sig, and Great Planes manuals. I just hate the guessing game. Thanks!
It's not hard to build, but the manual is awful. Pretty much the worst one I've seen, GP SIG or H9 are much better.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:01 PM
EMVIN

I am currently building the 77" Yak and am thinking engines. I have A DA50 on its way, but, am not sure about it. Some people are wrighting it's to much for this plane wihch may or may not be true. Can anyone explain to me why there are other planes out there very similar in weight and wing area etc. ( GP Patty wagstaff, Chip Hyde Cap X, Hangar 9 Extra 260) that OK a 50CC. There seems to be a different opinion from one guy to the next. Need Feedback!! Thanx.......
Old 01-19-2006, 04:14 PM
pattyrookie

on my post i should have put that it was about the yak 77".and everything that is being posted about customer service is true. my hood was warped and i was acussed of glueing it wrong.how can you warp a hood by placing it on the plane and glueing the canapy!one guy hateful but one was nice! my cowl chiped when i took the tape off.when i pick the plane up it seems fragile.i sure hope it flies great
Old 01-19-2006, 04:16 PM
e28m5
My Feedback: (2)

I think people also argue whether those other planes you mentioned "should" have a 50cc on them. I agree if they can "handle" 50cc, so can this plane. But ideally I think you want something more in an 84"+ range for wing-loading reasons. Doesn't mean you won't like this plane w/ a 50cc. But remember the instruction manual shows a 1.20 on it [:'(] . I have a 1.60 on it but haven't flown yet.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:24 PM
pit_basher
My Feedback: (3)

I want a smoke system on my bird, and checking on Tower I came across this [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD625&P=K]Dubro Super Smoker[/link] . Any ideas on how that works? or should I get a regular smoke pump. It states that the cranckscase needs to be drilled, Its going on a Moki 2.10
Old 01-19-2006, 05:08 PM
EMVIN

I have a Great Planes Gene Saucy Extra 300S 72" with a Saito 180. It flies great and handles scale aerobatics very well. However, 3d manuvers are tough. Hovering is almost at full throttle and has no punch out. So I'm thinking DA 50 power for the Yak. Guess I will have to exercise throttle control.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:40 PM
M12plyby

What servos should I use in the aileron and elevator of the CG Yak and is a ZDZ enough to give it unlimited vertical?
Old 02-01-2006, 08:00 PM
rtn9105
My Feedback: (35)

nitrous pete
What size engine standoffs did you use to mount your DA50 on this plane?
Old 02-02-2006, 07:06 AM
EMVIN

Futaba 3305 high tourke metal gear.. wil work very well
Old 02-02-2006, 07:07 AM
EMVIN

What size ZDZ?
Old 02-05-2006, 11:31 PM
JAkridge

I read thru every single page in this thread. From what I can tell there's really only about 4-5 guys if that, that are posting any real info here that own one. Aerobob has done some great work here. But I can tell ya as I read along I got more and more "Dis"interested in this plane. The biggy turn OFF's are the tail feathers bing so twisted and out of shape or not being able to hindge rite, the cowl alignment, the need for 4 airly servos is a turn off for this size plane......................And the BIGGEST Turnoff, even while I Love the looks of this plane, is what I read here about Carl Goldbergs service... Wow I won't even go there, and this isn't the only theard or place I have heard this. If I pay 400 or more for a RC plane that is part of my hobby and I get treated like you guys say you have been I don't care how good of plane this is.

Geez, You would think somebody from Carl Goldberg would standup here and straightend this out. Ummm maybe they don't care. Still a nice looking Yak and just the size I was looking for. Well intell I saw Wild Hare's new Yak. And they sure seem to care about what people think of there products.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:51 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

A few comments - in general - in response to some of the recent things posted...First, this airplane is NOT large enough for a DA-50!!!! It is a TRUE 1.60 "glow" airplane, and with an OS 1.60 or Saito 1.80/2.20, fully aerobatic, and unlimited performance. I put the Brison 2.4 on mine because that was what I chose to do, knowing that the real "power" available is about the same as an OS 1.60. It would be difficult to balance with a DA 50, and the power far too much like a foamy, and this isn't one of those. CAUTION is my advice here; the structure isn't BUILT for that kind of power, but that's my opinion.

Single aileron servo has been fine so far on mine, and I probably have 20-25 flights, LOTS of abuse-aerobatics, but I also manage the throttle.

Goldberg customer relations absolutely sucks. But they don't have a presence out here that I have heard about, and since a semi-hostile takeover from Lanier, I imagine they are the "step children" of that company and have MANY problems in a hugely-competitive environment. They need to be more sensitive to our needs and quality concerns, but they have to know, first. Maybe we should WRITE them ???? Not some kind of blasting, hell-fire letter, but comments about "here's what's going on out on RCU" type stuff?

Finally - $400 for an ARF, particularly one of this size is an absolute bargain. It is CHEAP. If it was available in kit form, IF we chose to build it, would the end product be significantly better or less expensive? For me, the answer is a solid NO. This is an ARF that really represents exceptional value for the $$$ spent....
Old 02-06-2006, 07:15 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

"Quality" is always relative, and usually perception-based. Good for ME may be PITIFUL for you.... it Depends....but I'll say this...an EXPERIENCED builder/assembler will have NO problems with this manual. Ya'll gotta remember, this is a SERIOUSLY advanced, aerobatic and 3D capable airframe!!!!! If you are barely-comfortable with low-wingers, or just out of trainer mode, ***THIS IS NOT THE AIRPLANE FOR YOU ***

If you have NEVER done gas before, I do NOT recommend this as a first gasser project, mainly because it's not DESIGNED for a gas motor setup.

Regards "similar airframes", there is a HUGE difference in performance, wing-loading, and engine size-design between this airframe and an 80" or 84" airframe. HUGE differences. It's almost like changing scale from 25% to 30%, and those of you who have done that know EXACTLY how much difference 5% really is in overall "beef". This AIN'T an 84" airframe designed for 50cc gas!!!! PERIOD.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:29 AM
EMVIN

Engine power info well taken. Prior to your response I decided to install a Saito 220 rather than the DA 50 as you are probably right ( should have that done this week). However, it is confusing when there are other models out there similar in size that OK / or even advertise using a 50CC gasser (hanger 9 Extra 220, Chip Hyde Cap-X GP Patty Wagstaff).
Old 02-06-2006, 10:23 AM
deputydog

Balsa Steel;
I had my canopy cracked when I opened up my Monster Pitts. Just go to the website and download the warranty form. Fill out and fax to CG. They have been really good with warranties. Had a previous issue with a Matrix 40. No tail wheel assy. Got that priority mail just a couple days later. The canopy took about 8 days. The only issue with the YAK would be if its not in stock. Hopefully thats not the case. But I think this damage is from the factory and not UPS invoked. CG may have a QA issue they need to deal with.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:08 PM
JAkridge

Aerobob, You have done a great job in telling the ends and outs of this plane, unlike some reviews in mag's and other places you said the Good-the Bad-the Ugly. I can fully see this is not a full on 50cc rig. A 50cc engine will fly the wheels off it, just like the H-9 Extra 260. I fly mine with a Saito 180 and I'm happy, and Iv'e seen one fly on a DA 50... WOW is all I can say, tossed the plane around like a rag doll. I think to much power, let me say that a different way....... A waste of power. The DA 50 should go in something a tad bigger than a 77"-80" plane IMO. Plaine and simple better use of the power.
Back to this plane. It really is a eye catcher and I like the covering alot, fits my taste. And I could even get thru a few build glitchs, but I hate to here a company treat guys like what I have heard, man that just sucks. This is hobby and fun stuff.
Well Bob good luck with it and great job on the unbias report.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:36 PM
mystar46

I'm curious to know if Nitrous pete ever flew his with DA50. It looked like he was ready to go back on 1/11.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.