Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: U-Can-Do 3d 46?

I'd go with a 11x6 or 12x3.75.

You can get carbon fiber pushrods from Central Hobbies. www.centralhobbies.com

I bought the titanium ends at first. They are nice, but after I ran out I just make my own ends with the left over push rods that came with my kits. They seem to work just as well.

Welcome to the thread. Good people here. You're welcome, and you'll have a good time.

You won't believe the difference when you upgrade to that first 4 stroke.

Thanks
Barry
Old 06-25-2006, 08:37 PM
Blisster

Wow! Gary, even though I think the 46 has the best color scheme of the UCD's (sorry Barry but IMHO the giant has the worst of the Do's) I love your pinstriping job! That looks really cool! Great job!

Yes, I wasn't quite sure about the fit in the cowl with the S 100. I was told by the guy at my LHS that it would, guess he was sort of wrong. However, it doesn't look bad with the valve cover openings, actually, it kinda adds to the beefed up look.

As to your power dilemma Barry, what a quandry! I have seen the "Gigante" and it is a lot bigger, but I had no idea the power requirement would be that much more intense! Were you talking about a YS 140 DZ or the Sport? What's the horsepower of them? They are both 33 oz. engines but the DZ can turn a 16x14 thru 18x10 and the sport only turns a 14x14 thru 16x11. Have you considered aSaito FA-125 or a FA-150? The 125 does 2.2 BHP (.1 HP less than 1/2 HP better than the 100) on a 15x7/17x6. The 150 does 2.5 BHP (.3 less than a full 1 hp stronger) turning a 16x8/18x6! As for weight, the 125 is 25 oz w/muffler (theres a 1/2 lb. better than the YS) and the 150 is 30 (this is w/o muffler, probably the same as the YS with it). Also the 125 is $339 and the 150 is $369. That savings would buy you about 6 gallons of good fuel or a great steak and lobster dinner for two, but who needs to eat right?! I hope you can get something that would make you as thrilled to fly the giant as you are with the 46! You put all that investment in it to make it fly at least as good as the 46 right? Maybe you could sell me your Saito and help you defray the cost of the larger engine? Unless it's the 125, too much front end for the 46! Just a thought. Sorry I can't remember which size it is.

And Brian, stop thinking about it and get the U-Can-Do 46! Join the club. Worry about the details later and BUY THAT PLANE! You can't go wrong! There's one on Ebay right now for $139 and free shipping!!! What a great deal! Go get it at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Great-Planes-U-C...QQcmdZViewItem

Brian let me know if you buy the EBay UCD and best of luck everyone, you'll be hearing from this old fart later, I have JUST enough light for a Li-Po full in the UCD EP! Goanna go get "high" with my baby!

Blisster (and for those of you wondering why "Blisster"...)

"If ignorance were BLiss, I'd be a Blisster!"
Old 06-25-2006, 08:44 PM
Blisster

Sorry about the scroll necessity above, the long URL to Ebay forced my post to "go long"! I was wondering about that big 'ole thing!
Oh well, live and learn. I wanted Brian to be able to "click and purchase" his Do for $139 flat. I paid $149 plus 9% state/local tax or roughly $162.41!!! There's about a gallon of fuel right there!

Blisster
Old 06-25-2006, 08:45 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HERE IS ONE FOR 129 AND FREE SHIPPING[X(]
ALSO THERE IS NO SALES TAX IN NY!![8D]

http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?ID=200303297
Old 06-25-2006, 11:27 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Gary. Is there a new grandkid yet? Nice job on the new Do. [X(] Remember not to get it inverted though. [>:] That could cause it to do weird things.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:28 PM
raideron

Hey Gary.... Looks great...... Man.... I like your BIG mouth... .. AAhhhh You know what
I mean.... Hey, If you would have tried the upright mount with the 100 on top inverted...
just maybe no cutting..... OK.... When can you come over to pin stripe some of my planes??
Old 06-26-2006, 05:42 PM
gjeffers

Thanks guys, appriciate all the comments,(gotta fly inverted though Rob[X(])and no grandson yet ,maybe next weekend
and i kinda like the holes Ron, allows better cooling (and lets everyone know its just too BIG!!!)

gotta get that new cowl cut up now[&:]
Old 06-26-2006, 07:45 PM
raideron

OK Gary... How/where did you get the long tail pipe??
Old 06-26-2006, 08:00 PM
gjeffers

its a peice of 10mm ID brass tubing from the hobby shop, fits snug and used a little permatex red threadlocker and it has been on a looooong time, just flair the end that goes on just a little so it goes on all the way[8D].was on since my first 46,(approx 400 flights + since.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:24 AM
raideron

Thanks Gary.... I may have to try that... Along with the stack.... As soon as they get
some in......
Old 06-27-2006, 01:37 AM
Blisster

Gary,
Did you have to tune the length? I could see where you could lose a bit of HP if it's just the right (or should I say wrong) length. Also the opposite might be true (adding HP if it is tuned) with the back-pressure or lack thereof. Heck, it could have little to no effect, I guess. I bet it would save a bit of wipe-down if you could divert the oils down and away well enough. My Alpha was a real mess because of the muffler outlet angle, wish I'd had something like that on it.

Blisster
Old 06-27-2006, 09:42 AM
Barry Cazier

gjeffers...

Does that pipe extension go longer than your wheels? May make it hard to land. Looks cool. Weight? Dang extra weight. Oh yeah, I forgot. What do you care about weight with that 100 on there.

I love a new Do. Yours look great. Especially inverted.

Thanks
Barry

PS: Will your Monster do nice inverted flat spins? As good as the UCDs?
Old 06-27-2006, 10:37 AM
rclement

I always wondered if one could take a piece of rubber or nylon tubing and run it through the wing to the wing tip and connect the exhaust to that so that the exhaust would exit the wing tip. Huh? How cool would that be? Huh! [8D] Okay, maybe it wouldn't work........[&o] It would sure look neat when the plane was in a spin.....[X(]
Old 06-27-2006, 06:11 PM
gjeffers

Hey Ron, there in,(the stacks that is)
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SAI50GK93

Blisster, what is your real name(we wont tell) and i never notice a difference in the way it runs, is great with iti found out that a lot of the mess with a 4 s is the crankcase vent hose, if ya get a 4in long piece of tubeing and then go to a little bit larger piece you can then go all the way down the LG and let it exit there and you will get almost no mess(with the exhaust extension of course).i also had this on my Alpha Blisster

BArry, what is weight????? if its the right angle, it adds lift[X(];;;;;;;;;;;just put some SFGs on it
came in at 6lbs 2ozs[8D] and my CG is at 5.75 without cowl(who needs that anyways if they are in it for fun[X(])

that would look cool Rob, try it on your next build(or better yet get one of your newbies to try it first)

Old 06-28-2006, 10:43 AM
rclement

ORIGINAL: gjeffers

that would look cool Rob, try it on your next build(or better yet get one of your newbies to try it first)

Hey, That's a great idea. I'll suggest that to a newbie at the field. Hmmmmm....... That's pure genius Gary. [8D] Of course if it works I'll have to take the credit for it....... [:-]
Old 06-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Blisster

Hi Gary,

Well, I think I mentioned it in my early posts but realized I was yet another "match" and stuck to Blisster to aid in confusion! My name is Rob!!! Not sure how many of us "Robs" are in this thread. I guess as long as I don't change my username you won't have any trouble. but we won't know which Rob anyone is addressing. Maybe I should register as Rob II?[8D]

I am delighted to hear that there is a chance that I won't have to wipe up so much synthetic/castor oil! And that's just after flying, after several flights it turns into a sticky varnish type film that won't come off without using alcohol or windex!

Well, I think I have finally decided to go with the Saito 82 for my UCD and the HS-605BB's for the servos. That should provide me with the next level of performance in the "Do" as well as whatever might lie ahead. I have my sights set on the Funtana 90 in the near future. I'll have everything I need but might need even more power for it, we'll see.

Bye all!
Rob AKA Blisster
Old 06-28-2006, 12:58 PM
rclement

Hey Rob, Good choice with the 82. It flies the Do around nicely. In fact I'm leaving work early [X(] today to get some Do time in. I'll let you know if it doesn't meet expectation. I'm sure it will though. I have so many flights in with this one I'm thinking of retiring this Do and ordering a new one for the 82.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:42 PM
raideron

Thanks Gary... I seen they were in last nite... I started to order 2... (They do fit on the
100 to???) after ordering a 16.5X 5<??> and a few special pylon props from the APC
site.... But I think I'll try to make a stack up again... I think I have something that will
work if it matches the carb. intake....

Well Had a "Do" of a time this morning.... I had the three( Do, S.T. and SPAD) charged,
But I ended up leaving the S.T. home.... Lately every time I take the S.T. [X(]... It's
the only one I fly.................. I made it till 9am.... all was nice..... But I was getting too
wet [].... Had to head home to the air...... My puter..... ESPN poker... and here:-)
Old 06-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Blisster

Hey Guys,
I recently bought an aluminum spinner that was on sale from Tower, for the UCD of course! It's a great little spinner, the price was right but the 14x4 prop is so shallow that I have too much crank shaft and too little threads! Not only that, and worse, the cutouts are such that they only accomodate the higher pitched props. What spinner will fit these props and the UCD 46, I've got over $30 worth of 14x4's and no way to run them as hoped.

Rob
Old 06-29-2006, 12:27 AM
Barry Cazier

Blisster...

I wouldn't get an F90. Not a good airplane without a lot of work. Now the F100X may be a different story. Too early to tell. A Showtime is nice if you want to get something different. Also a UCD60 with Saito 125 or 110 is an excelent choice.

Just can't stand by and let a friend buy a plane without good advice.

Thanks
Barry
Old 06-29-2006, 12:28 AM
Barry Cazier

Blisster...

Oh yeah...good choice with the 46 and the 82.

Thanks
Barry
Old 06-29-2006, 03:07 AM
raideron

Hey Blisster... I use a Tru-Turn "wide" Blade spinner, and they donot fit "all" the
normal hubbed props..... This is the spinner I got for the "Do":

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go

You can also "trim evenly" on your spinner to get the prop to fit the cutout.... All
"W" blades are "thin" props... You can use an extra washer.. To make the
blade thicker or threads longer.. If the washer hole is a bit bigger I put it against
the prop and try to keep it centered then use the normal washer/nut/lock nut, hub
nut or spinner adapter nut,( double nut setup for 4c's) I try to keep the "added"
washer's OD about the same size or bigger... The spinner adapter nut is the "Long"
one ( I think)... I think there are two types, one shorter.... Atleast it's so for T.T.
spinners,........But you'd expect that because their so cheap.. At first I tried
different spinners... But I had some problems after a while... Sooooo.....

I'm pretty sure this is the adapter setup I got??:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNV03&P=M

But I can't really remember.. or remember where I got the info... I just used the
longer jam nut in the kit against the saito prop nut keeping the recessed end
towards the jam nut..

Spinner's/adapter nuts add weight to the over all plane at the nose[X(]... But it also
makes the prop more efficient[sm=confused.gif] by elimiinating the dead spot of the
prop and allowing for cleaner air for the prop to work with???
In my case I needed the weight anyway.. And I really like the looks of a fully
dressed plane as long as she still does what I want it to do....

I don't remember adding a extra washer to the S-82/"W" blade, I did have to add
one to the S-100... But I think it was to get the spinner bolt/hub nut to fit.....

Ohh on the supplied spinner bolt... If it's too long/short.. You can get different lenghts
at the hardware store... For me that's "Ace"... You can find a few "cheaper" hardware
there including the wing bolts.........

You have heard the "Do" sing????? If you choose to "trim" your spinner, make
sure it's even/balanced.... Or the singing get's louder

On the F-90... Alot of people hate the way she "floats" on landing... I believe that
is the main problem... I have flown both the .40(4) and .90(2), and it does float on
landing and I guess more so with wind.. But I found it easy to adjust to it, but then
again that was in great conditions... The F-90 seems to H.A. really good IMO...
But I also think if your considering a Funtana the new "X" models should be
considered over the F-90.. I'm looking into the X100 for my other YS-110, But I
haven't found the money for it yet.... But my "B" day is coming up..... Ohhh and
the # is up there too
Old 06-29-2006, 07:41 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

Anybody got one of these to do a flat spin.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:53 PM
gjeffers

yes Dennis, this plane does a great flatspin, its one of the manuevers it does best
Old 06-29-2006, 07:59 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

ORIGINAL: gjeffers

yes Dennis, this plane does a great flatspin, its one of the manuevers it does best
Man you got to tell me how you get it to flat spin. i cant get mine to do it for the life of me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.