Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 03:43 PM
BeechTech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: U-Can-Do 3d 46?

I almost lost the Do today. Was doing some knife edge mixing, on the second landing after I made the adjustments I went to taxi away to take off and I had no rudder. When the servo started to work it locked full right rudder. The rudder servo seems to have died, it is a HS-625MG. I guess this is my lucky day
Old 04-29-2007, 09:36 PM
Adrians flyer

Ok this is for the engine tuners. I'm having a little trouble with my OS55AX throttle low and high end settings. It runs fine on the ground, but staggers through midrange. By the time it get up near top end it runs fine. I've leaned out the bottom end, and tried to richen and then lean out the top end, but If I fly around at 40-50% throttle for a while and try to rev up, the engine bogs again, and I'm scared to death of losing it. I have dome some fiddling to try to get the mix right, but I must be doing something wrong. I'm using Wildcat 15% and a #8 plug. Any suggestions? I've had several of the shade tree experts give conflicting advice, so I'll just come back here to get the correct answer. Any help is great appreciated.

Bruce
Old 04-30-2007, 06:10 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i used to have that problem too with my evos when i was getting started and it drove me crazy, found out that it was way too rich on the high end, this may not be your prob(and it may be) but i finally just started leaning it down while wide open and checking transition and after leaning it down it began to scream, then i richened it up just enough to still get good transition. simple enough to try.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Adrians flyer

ok I'll give it a shot next time out. May be a while as the wife redecorated the kitchen with the help of a FIRE, and now I've that hassle to deal with.

Bruce

ORIGINAL: gjeffers

i used to have that problem too with my evos when i was getting started and it drove me crazy, found out that it was way too rich on the high end, this may not be your prob(and it may be) but i finally just started leaning it down while wide open and checking transition and after leaning it down it began to scream, then i richened it up just enough to still get good transition. simple enough to try.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:21 PM
nickstick

Well the "do" is finaly complete. I used alot of good information that was on this site. Thanks to all that contributed. I have minor dilema, I am using a futaba 6exas radio system. For the ailerons I used channels 1 And 6 This works fine for ailerons and flaps, but when I input negitive Expo. for the ailerons I can only input it on the aileron servo, no input for the flap servo. I am thinking of using a Y harness and just plug into the aileron spot in the reciever and elimanate flaps. All comments are welcome
Thanks Glenn
Old 04-30-2007, 10:20 PM
gjeffers

well i finally got the Do out for the first time in a couple months and had a great day[8D], had to look hard for a place to fly being in a small gold mining town there is no formal place to fly(just like the town i just left but there is no strip here) finally found a decent place on the dump road so me and my son Brock got in 5 flights between us and picked up a guy we work with who is gonna order his first plane today(H9 arrow) i also have a couple other guys interested and they may get the company (gold mine) we work for to buld us a runway, pretty good people here in round Mountain.

just good to get the planes out and fly
Old 05-01-2007, 12:12 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

gjeffers...

Good to see you're flying again. What do you think of the altitude?

Thanks
Barry
Old 05-01-2007, 06:11 AM
patnjimtucker

Yes. I have the 7 channel Futaba and same thing, so I had to get the Y connector. Jim Tucker
Old 05-01-2007, 08:22 AM
gjeffers

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

gjeffers...

Good to see you're flying again. What do you think of the altitude?

Thanks
Barry
Hi barry, yes it is great to be back[8D] i am now where my kids are, both my boys live here with my grandkids, so now i can get busy and do more flying with them.

you know the altitude change was about 4000 ft change from 1600 to 5640 and the real change came in the form of having to re-tune my engines (and its a little colder here[X(]), but once i did that(leaner) not much, a little less power but as you know i have the 100 and it still produced plenty of UMPHH

it was a little windy so as far as lift it was really hard to tell, one thing about this place is everyone here has a good job and i think ill have a lot of beginners here that want to learn to fly, already have two guys ready to buy trainers so maybe i can get something going here, the people here are a whole different type and very outgoing.

later!
Old 05-02-2007, 12:04 AM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Gary, Sounds like you've made a great move! [8D] Good for you. I'm sure you'll be able to get something going near your new digs.
I've got a new Do coming in the mail. Yippie! I still have the one I'm flying now but got a new deal on another one so now I'll have a back up. Hey, I can't be Do less in Seattle.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:25 PM
gjeffers

thanks Rob, and to be Do-less is to be .........well its no good

youve gotta quit sending me these windy storms though
Old 05-02-2007, 04:30 PM
rclement

Yeah to be Do less is pretty pathetic. I can't imagine being at such a low point in life. [&o] Ahhhh..... sorry about the wind Gary. It's been so windy here that it had to end up someplace. It's been rainy too. I've been flying my Do inverted lower and lower. Will have pictures soon......... [8D]
Old 05-02-2007, 10:26 PM
rc3dprodigy
Banned

i got a u can do 3d 46 last weekend and on maiden the tail snaped off. got it on the ground in one piece. great planes is sending me a replacement. anyone else had this problem?
scott
Old 05-03-2007, 04:37 PM
gjeffers

there have been a very few with that happening but not very often, how did you trim off the glue points on the stabs?
or do you mean the whole tail broke off[X(]
Old 05-03-2007, 05:11 PM
rc3dprodigy
Banned

if you look at my pics you can see. the actual wood snapped in half. had nothing to do with the glue point.
and this gas tank is a peace of just. ended up replacing it.
scott
Old 05-04-2007, 01:02 PM
gjeffers

ORIGINAL: rc3dprodigy

if you look at my pics you can see. the actual wood snapped in half. had nothing to do with the glue point.
and this gas tank is a peace of just. ended up replacing it.
scott
i must be going blind........ pics?

and i meant did you cut off the covering where you glue the stabs in with a hobby knife? there have been cases of tail failure because someone had cut too deep into the balsa and it broke on the cut.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Jetdrvr393

I have a UCD 46 with a Saito 82 on it. I am trying to break the motor in and I am getting a very bad vibration only at certain mid range RPM's. I am running a 14x4 APC prop. The vibration was bad enough to strip out the canopy screws and break off one of the cowl bolt on blocks. There is no abnormal vibration at full power. The motor is brand new. Anyone ever see anything like this before?
Old 05-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jetdrvr393,

I had a Saito 82 on a Bad Boy 2 with an APC 14 X 4W prop and it would shake really bad at low rpms until you lean the low end out. I think it was around 1/2 turn open. I just bought another Satio 82 thats going on a VOIS 4D plane and I'll be using the same prop. Very good running engines once you get them set properly. If the low end being to rich is not your problem then you may want to balance your prop again.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:20 PM
rclement

ORIGINAL: Zippi

Jetdrvr393,

I had a Saito 82 on a Bad Boy 2 with an APC 14 X 4W prop and it would shake really bad at low rpms until you lean the low end out. I think it was around 1/2 turn open. I just bought another Satio 82 thats going on a VOIS 4D plane and I'll be using the same prop. Very good running engines once you get them set properly. If the low end being to rich is not your problem then you may want to balance your prop again.
Yes, that's about what I've found too. The Do's are kind of a noisy plane and I don't know if the engine vibrations effect this plane more than other planes. What I did on the cowl screws is to add some really small O-rings to the screw. The rubber keeps them from backing out and also I put a dab of glue on the canopy screw threads on the inside of the fuse to keep them from backing out.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:28 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

My UCD vibrates a fair amount, especially at idle. It also is very noisy in the air. Sounds like you're beating on a drum. But I've gotten used to it. I haven't seen any harm from it...except I break a lot of elevator hinges. I just keep repairing it. I love it that much.

Thansk
Barry
Old 05-07-2007, 07:51 AM
rclement

Yeah, When I fly another one of my planes that has a Saito 82 I notice how much quieter they are and then remember it's not the Do. [X(]
Old 05-07-2007, 04:29 PM
dr_d_2k

My Do with an OS 70 Surpass II vibrates around 1/2 throttle. Sounds like a Snare Drum. Low end is fine and WOT going vertical is fine. It must vibrate at the same harmonic as the wing at 1/2. It's a blast to fly though and I got used to it.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Adrians flyer

Hi Barry,

Just a stupid question, please take no offense....have you balanced your props? I have a .60 sized Ultra Stick and I MUST balance the props or it shakes like a paint mixer and the thrumming sound that comes the the clear wings makes everyone around me nervous. I use APC props and as they get up past the 11 inch mark, I've found that they often require quite a bit of balancing. Again, if you are already doing that, please excuse the remarks.

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

My UCD vibrates a fair amount, especially at idle. It also is very noisy in the air. Sounds like you're beating on a drum. But I've gotten used to it. I haven't seen any harm from it...except I break a lot of elevator hinges. I just keep repairing it. I love it that much.

Thansk
Barry
Old 05-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Jetdrvr393

Thanks everyone, I will lean out the low end idle on the 82. I already checked the prop balance and it was fine so I am thinking that it has to be the low end idle because the vibration is really not bad at all at full power.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:00 PM
rclement

Hey Gary....... I finally got my inverted flying down good and here's picture proof...... Check it out!! Nice huh? [X(] Look at that! It's about 4 ft. off the deck!! Now all I need is a better camera......[&o]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89403.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	680043  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.