Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 03:46 PM
JohnShe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ira d
We can split hairs on who writes what and so on but the bottom line is the FAA wants to give airports the right to shut RC flying within five miles of them.
You must think you can read minds. How does the FAA propose to do something like that? They have never done it before. How many flying fields were shut down when there was a three mile limit?

The AC said three miles and was never a problem so when the law changes it to five miles why should there be a problem?
Old 11-08-2014, 04:02 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha
How high do you guys think he had it? Perhaps 2,000 AGL? Seemed to be higher than a ground pilot flying by visual could see. Yet I didn't see he was a wearing FPV googles.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:32 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Sport pilot: Your comment is exactly why I posted this thread. We, Us, in R/C don't want any more Regulations other than what exist today. These clowns that fly irresponsibly, will not only endanger full size aircraft, but the people in them. All of us need to take some kind of action, there is the problem. What kind of action can we take to promote safety in our hobby, and how do we fix the idiots that purposely endanger other people and full scale aircraft? I do not know the answer.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:39 PM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by JohnShe
You must think you can read minds. How does the FAA propose to do something like that? They have never done it before. How many flying fields were shut down when there was a three mile limit?

The AC said three miles and was never a problem so when the law changes it to five miles why should there be a problem?
Well this is what tha AMA thinks:

4. Do you fly within 5 miles of one of the more than 17,000 airports in the US?
The interpretive rule requires that you have permission to fly within this 5-mile area. An airport authority, for no reason other than because he or she simply doesn’t like model aircraft could prohibit your ability to fly within the 5-mile radius, even if the club has been flying at a site for decades.
[AMA's Viewpoint:]
The FAA’s interpretation appears to require any person with any size model aircraft to ask authorization from air traffic control before flying it, if within 5 miles of an airport. This is a new requirement for model aircraft, contrary to Congressional intent. The FAA has not offered any guidance as to what is considered an “airport” and whether that includes rarely used grass strips and helipads. If so, how do I reach the airport controller when no one is there? In another part of the interpretation, the FAA suggests that certain “classes” of airspace may govern what permission a model aircraft operator needs. This is confusing and unclear, and imposes many more obligations upon hobbyists than they ever had before, in contradiction to Congress’s intent. This interpretation impacts me because it does not clearly provide notice of what I am supposed to do. [My home, local park, or model aircraft club is within 5 miles of an airport and I am concerned that I need to ask permission of air traffic control just to use a toy in my backyard or local park.]

Old 11-08-2014, 04:46 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That looks like flying over populated areas to me. That isn't what AMA members are supposed to do.
Why try to glorify this activity here at the AMA forum...?
I don't need an Official AMA Safety Code to tell me this this is an intrinsically UNSAFE thing to do.
I'll bet that the Dallas nurse [Amber Vinson] who thought it was OK to expose airline passengers to her breathe right after treating a terminally ill Ebola patient would heartily endorse flying toy planes over the general population, too.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Maximilionalpha

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C
How high do you guys think he had it? Perhaps 2,000 AGL? Seemed to be higher than a ground pilot flying by visual could see. Yet I didn't see he was a wearing FPV googles.
That's not 2,000 AGL and no, I don't use FPV because I have very good, far vision. No, I don't stick to the 400ft, rule, because I'm more than 6 miles away from the nearest airport and I never fly my glider's during the times when they have their fly-ins, because they tend to fly through my area, just slightly under 500 ft. If you'd like to see some of my 3,000 ft+, non-fpv, all naked eye flights, just check out my other videos. I actually have the non-fpv, highest altitude,world record!
Old 11-08-2014, 05:14 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Well this is what tha AMA thinks:

That is a scare tactic pure and simple. The AMA knows full well that the 3 mile rule has always worked for charter club flying fields. They are just using hyperbole to frighten the masses, There is no known basis for that AMA statement.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:41 PM
Maximilionalpha

http://youtu.be/5-qGfGmdbdg

Last edited by Maximilionalpha; 11-08-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:00 PM
bradpaul

That is a scare tactic pure and simple. The AMA knows full well that the 3 mile rule has always worked for charter club flying fields. They are just using hyperbole to frighten the masses, There is no known basis for that AMA statement.
To be clear, are you stating that the FAA Interpretation of section 336 does not state that:

Finally, the statute sets a requirement for model aircraft operating within 5 miles9of an airport to notify the airport operator and control tower, where applicable, prior tooperating.10,11 If the model aircraft operator provides notice of forthcoming operations which are then not authorized by air traffic or objected to by the airport operator, theFAA expects the model aircraft operator will not conduct the proposed flights. The FAAwould consider flying model aircraft over the objections of FAA air traffic or airportoperators to be endangering the safety of the NAS. Additionally, we note that followingthis 5-mile notification procedure would be read in conjunction with FAA rulesgoverning airspace usage discussed below.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:19 PM
JohnShe

To be clear, are you stating that the FAA Interpretation of section 336 does not state that:
I know what it says. How does that end up shutting down R/C flying within 5 miles of an airport. Your statement is a broad brush fallacy and it has been proven false already.

[h=5]Loudoun County Aeromodelers Association[/h]July 12

All,

This past couple of weeks the Board has been working on addressing our concerns with the recent “FAA Interpretation” and ensuring the club remains in good standing with the Leesburg Airport. Many of us have submitted feedback to the FAA regarding their proposal and we are also happy to report we believe there is no issue with our club and the airport. In accordance with the in place regulations the airport has been notified of our intent to continue operating our model aircraft at Banshee Reeks Nature Preserve the way we have been since 1996. We committed to continue to follow our club rules and comply with all AMA rules and regulations. We told them this in person at the Airport Commission Meeting this past Thursday. They took no issue with this and our notification was to be part of their official meeting minutes.

The Board implores all our members to be mindful of abiding by this arrangement and following all our clubs rules. We have a wonderful location and a good relationship with both the Leesburg Airport Commission and Banshee Reeks – let’s all do our part in keeping it this way!

Hope to see a lot of folks at the Electric Fly-In later this month (7/26). Don’t forget about the field clean-up day next Saturday (7/19) to help prepare for the event.

Happy flying!
Old 11-08-2014, 06:36 PM
AllModesR/C

Nice flight. Is that 2,986 AGL or above sea level? Still amazing either way just curious. How do you manage to see it that high up which I would imagine it would just be a tiny speck in the sky? Also what camera are you using?
Old 11-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Maximilionalpha

Nice flight. Is that 2,986 AGL or above sea level? Still amazing either way just curious. How do you manage to see it that high up which I would imagine it would just be a tiny speck in the sky? Also what camera are you using?
Yes, that's 2986 AGL. It's not difficult to see at that altitude,(at least not for me), being that my far-sight is very good. I like to call it "Naked-Eye Flying"! Since that flight, though, I've exceeded that altitude, by about 200 feet. Camera got glitched while I was riding an updraft, beneath a lightening cloud, but altimeter, recorded it at a little over 3280ft AGL, so I'd have to say that was my highest unaided flight, yet! Yes, it does start to become sort of a speck, but not quite. That's why I like to do what I've termed, "Step-Climbing". That's why in the video, you see when I'm climbing, that the plane seems to be leveling off and then pointing back horizontal..that's so, that I can keep track of it, from the ground, because when it's up that high and climbing, it become just a thin slit, in the sky, so therefore, I level off in intervals to make sure that it's still going upwards. That particular camera, is the MD80, camera. About thumb-sized and under 6 grams.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Maximilionalpha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNlKKcvnvlA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAEbvZNYVVI
Old 11-08-2014, 08:14 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem would be there are a lot flying sites within five miles of a airport, And if the FAA gets it way they could authorize any airport to
shut down any flying site within five miles of the airport without any reason.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:18 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks like flying over populated areas to me. That isn't what AMA members are supposed to do.
It appeared they kept over the field to me. Crossed the roads a few times though.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Sport_Pilot

The curvature of the earth shows that the video was done with a wide angle lens, so it may have been below 500 feet, then again not. As long as they keep away from full scale I see no problem even if they were at 2000 feet.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:25 PM
N410DC

Originally Posted by porcia83
Feathered, soft tissued birds I think are easy for an engine to digest, even the bones. And I i know the testing usually involves both frozen and soft bird carcasses. Some of these UAVs are pretty large and carry 5-10,000 mah batteries, and sometimes in pairs. I've got to imagine those could cause some serious damage to engines/systems.
Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
Good point, Aside from the mass and density of the batteries/servos/motors I've often wondered what happens to the stored energy in the battery packs during catastrophic destruction of the batters? Would that energy add to the destructive power of being ingested in a jet engine?

Frank
I would think that one or more LiPos would explode if they were ingested into a turbine. A pilot can land a jet with a damaged engine that has been shut down. A explosion and a consequent fire the general vicinity of a few hundred gallons of Jet-A fuel is an entirely different ball game.

Originally Posted by Len Todd
. . .I am not advocating the FAA licensing us. I do think maybe something along the lines of a turbine wavier (RC Pilot Cert) process could help. Maybe the AMA could run this? Maybe each state (or club) has their own Cert Org which meets the intent of a standard generic set of requirements, etc.? Also, the suppliers need to tighten up who gets their products. No RC Pilot cert (or maybe at least club affiliation) = no RC Planes, etc. With these two steps in place, not only will many of the problem children be averted, but our legitimate flyers will be a lot smarter, and we could be well positioned for "self-regulating." As it stand now, we are not seen as ready for self-regulating. What are you personally going to do to change that perception?
Given the FAA's crusade, I think an FAA-issued license will eventually be required for commercial UAV operations. Prohibiting U.S. vendors from selling FBV gear to unlicensed individuals will do little to prevent unlicensed pilots from getting the gear, since DHL can ship this gear to the US, from the far east, in less than a week.

So the government should mandate membership in a private organization and to pay for a required amount of insurance? Were you an author of Obamacare because what you are asking for is Obamadrone!
I don't think the FAA is likely to require membership in the AMA or other private organization. They might, however, require all UAV pilots to follow the AMA Safety Code.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:31 PM
AllModesR/C

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
The curvature of the earth shows that the video was done with a wide angle lens, so it may have been below 500 feet, then again not. As long as they keep away from full scale I see no problem even if they were at 2000 feet.
It was a lot higher than 500 feet. I guessed 2000-2500 and turns out it was just under 3000.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Sport_Pilot

It was a lot higher than 500 feet. I guessed 2000-2500 and turns out it was just under 3000.

The second video looked a lot higher than the first.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:16 PM
Maximilionalpha

Gentlemen! The videos that you've seen posted, were indeed over 2,000 feet AGL. But the fact of the matter is, I always keep it vertically above me and then, just a few dozen feet over across the roadway, to capture the stream, sceneries. I have never flown over someones residence, nor will I ever. If you'd observe the video's more closely, you'll notice that I follow the outline of the park... 170 degree,wide-angle lens
Old 11-08-2014, 09:31 PM
AllModesR/C

Gentlemen! The videos that you've seen posted, were indeed over 2,000 feet AGL. But the fact of the matter is, I always keep it vertically above me and then, just a few dozen feet over across the roadway, to capture the stream, sceneries. I have never flown over someones residence, nor will I ever. If you'd observe the video's more closely, you'll notice that I follow the outline of the park... 170 degree,wide-angle lens
You're alright. I personally don't see anything wrong with your flights. Plus it's a foam plane. The amount of damage it is capable of is very low.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:31 PM
weazel1

Stupid drone pilots they tried to come to an airshow that I help run after I told about all the things they have done in the past we turned them away
Old 11-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Maximilionalpha

You're alright. I personally don't see anything wrong with your flights. Plus it's a foam plane. The amount of damage it is capable of is very low.
Thank you!
Old 11-08-2014, 09:55 PM
AllModesR/C

Originally Posted by weazel1
Stupid drone pilots they tried to come to an airshow that I help run after I told about all the things they have done in the past we turned them away
Sorry this is kind of off topic but I noticed you in live in Ontario California. I want to move out there and was wondering if there are many flying fields in the area? Thanks.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:40 AM
junkjet
My Feedback: (55)

Wow. It seems like some.of the people on this thread don't understand it only takes one incident for the government to crackdown on clubs that may not even have been involved with the incident but they are within the 5 mile zone. The Fed's will use a brand brush to solve their precived problem or threat to the airspace. 5 miles gives the Fed's that much more reach into the hobby we all love.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.