Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Funtana 90 no Fun!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Funtana 90 no Fun!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 12:53 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Funtana 90 no Fun!

Ah Ha back jhogie31,

If we go back to your Post #159 you said, in part, "I also would wish for you to not use such profane language, as I and others know of young ears and eyes reading your posts." Name calling? No. Pure fabrication, yes. Pinocchio is a Saint by comparison.

Now that Hangar 9 products won't grace your hangar ever again, the folks at Horizon are probably giving each other high fives today. That's one less replacement of a future ARF.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:54 PM
RJConnet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

52jaws,

I would love to see a pix of your W 1.20 installation with the cowl in place to see how much chopping you had to do to clear the Cyl. head and the muffler corners. I am considering this combination and would like to know. Also do you have at least a semi-accurate dry weight for this plane and engine Combo. Afriend of mine showed up at the field a couple of weeks ago with a Saito 100 in his Funtana and I thought it was a little on the sluggish side.

[8D][8D].......RJ
Old 10-29-2004, 01:01 PM
Dick T.

Okay, let's take this thread back to it's roots, real and perceived problems with the FuntanaS 90.

Throughout all this chatter, and it has been fun mobilizing some people to think, we really have two issues that Funtana owners can check. One valid point is in this thread, the other may be but I think it is elsewhere in another.

1. Broken ribs, especially around the wing servo mount. Possible causes: shipping damage, some admitted builder damage, manufacturers error with some random rib wood weight/density.

The fix: The wing bottom is covered in transparent film so there is little reason to not inspect these areas. If damage is present either return the wing for exchange or fix it yourself. It is the builders responsibility at this point.

2. Carbon rod tail bracing pulling free possibly causing stab failure.

The fix: Secure it properly with SLOW cure epoxy or replace entirely with another method. Carbon rods may not bond well with fast adhesives. I have had them pull loose in electric foamies when 5 minute epoxy was used, but with 1 hour epoxy it will pull a chunk of foam with it. A tip: cross drill a small hole across the diameter of the rod near the tip. Once epoxied in place it acts as a pin. Again, it is the builders responsibility which method to use.

These are the only real issues I have picked up thus far in this and other threads, and other forums.

I surmise most of the rest are builder/pilot induced. Some guys take short cuts in the assembly process, some are flying a plane way beyond their skill level. Some ignore inspecting the airframe after the bad landing, for some it is just bad luck. Every flying club has people in each of these catagories. It doesn't make them bad guys, but it doesn't make Hangar 9 responsible for all of it either. Another perception is "bad or flawed design". Most of us have never designed an airplane so critisizing a pro pilot/designer seems rather silly when comparing credentials.

To paraphrase BentGear, they fabricate what we demand...then some gripe about it upon arrival.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:46 AM
SnApRoLl-

Quote Dick T. I surmise most of the rest are builder/pilot induced. Some guys take short cuts in the assembly process, some are flying a plane way beyond their skill level. Some ignore inspecting the airframe after the bad landing, for some it is just bad luck. Every flying club has people in each of these catagories. It doesn't make them bad guys, but it doesn't make Hangar 9 responsible for all of it either. Another perception is "bad or flawed design". Most of us have never designed an airplane so critisizing a pro pilot/designer seems rather silly when comparing credentials
I've been in the amazing and awsome hobby since 1976 and I've seen many pilots try to fly a plane beyond his or her capabilities and when they crash they try to find fault in everything
else such as machanical or structural failure etc... and not fault them selves. I've dumb thumbed
many airplanes I'm not ashamed to admit it. I've even tried flying planes I should have never attempted, I tried to fly a Laser 200 right after I learned to fly a trainer, it put a hole in the paved runway I was flying from. I chalked it up to the oop's I messed up column. Did it make me a bad guy? No it did not. But it did however make me a better pilot. Unfotunatly bad things can happen when trying to cheat gravity. its part of the learning curve.

Bad or flawed design? The Funtana 90 may fall into this catagory slightly. The Funtana 90 is a fairly new release and maybe Hanger 9 should have done more flight testing and or structural
research before releasing it to the public. I will say this though Hanger 9 should have definatly packaged the plane a little better. Unfortunatly arf's are built by humans and to err is human.

As far as critisizem goes I think we should critisize a designer or a pilot as long it is constructive. I have designed a few C/L
model's that others have flown and I took constructive critisizem, it allowed me to find flaws in my designs so I could build a better model. also critisizing a pilot/designer even if you've never designed model before is not silly. there are many pilots that feel they have ideas that can make a design better. after all our hobby was started by an idea.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:17 AM
a10hog
My Feedback: (28)

ORIGINAL: SnApRoLl-2

I've been in the amazing and awsome hobby since 1976 and I've seen many pilots try to fly a plane beyond his or her capabilities and when they crash they try to find fault in everything
else such as machanical or structural failure etc... and not fault them selves. I've dumb thumbed
many airplanes I'm not ashamed to admit it. I've even tried flying planes I should have never attempted, I tried to fly a Laser 200 right after I learned to fly a trainer, it put a hole in the paved runway I was flying from. I chalked it up to the oop's I messed up column. Did it make me a bad guy? No it did not. But it did however make me a better pilot. Unfotunatly bad things can happen when trying to cheat gravity. its part of the learning curve.

Bad or flawed design? The Funtana 90 may fall into this catagory slightly. The Funtana 90 is a fairly new release and maybe Hanger 9 should have done more flight testing and or structural
research before releasing it to the public. I will say this though Hanger 9 should have definatly packaged the plane a little better. Unfortunatly arf's are built by humans and to err is human.

As far as critisizem goes I think we should critisize a designer or a pilot as long it is constructive. I have designed a few C/L
model's that others have flown and I took constructive critisizem, it allowed me to find flaws in my designs so I could build a better model. also critisizing a pilot/designer even if you've never designed model before is not silly. there are many pilots that feel they have ideas that can make a design better. after all our hobby was started by an idea.

Snap,
This is the best post on this thread. Well done! This sums it all up. Enough with the name calling, and attitudes.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:35 PM
SnApRoLl-

Thanks a10hog
your right, enough of the attitudes. In a mannor of speaking we are all one big hobby family
we should pull together and help each other out. If we dont we might as well not have the hobby.

"Teach a kid to fly and our hobby will have a bigger and brighter future"
Old 10-30-2004, 04:12 PM
52jaws
My Feedback: (65)

Here you go.[sm=cool.gif]
I decided to just take off the entire bottom as I got tired of trimming.
With more patience one could have just two holes for the corners of the muffler and exhaust stacks but this will be a weekly flyer and I don't need it to be show quality.
Doesn't that 3-blader look good?
I know its pretty worthless but I am going to try it any way, what the heck.
I am sure a 16x4 is what I will end up with on this combination.
I haven't had a chance to weigh it yet so when I do I will let you know.
I really feel that this engine combo is going to be a good choice..

Take care
52 Jaws
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39043.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	188198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22015.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	188199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94638.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	188200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib83231.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	188201  
Old 10-30-2004, 04:59 PM
RJConnet

Thanks Jaws, Just the information I wanted. Still curious about the weight. Where do you fly down there in Tulare, I was raised over in Coalinga about a hundred years ago, still get down there for a high school class reunion every five years or so.
I think from looking at your picture that I will cut out a rectangle to clear the muffler front and back far enough to clear the muffler outlet tubes, maybe a little further back to provide enough cooling. It's no problem with the plane I am now flying, see below. [8D]........RJ

Name:	Nl30867.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	188228  
Old 10-30-2004, 05:01 PM
SnApRoLl-

52jaws what engine do you have in your Funtana? Nice pictures by the way
Old 10-30-2004, 07:35 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hello Ed

Some of the guys, and I, will be at the Merigold event. Hope to see you there.

Bob Sawyer
Old 10-30-2004, 10:54 PM
bentgear

Bob, I will be there. Unless jhogie21 wants to fly the Funtana 90 the only thing I am bringing is a Senior Telemaster as I plan to shoot about 5 CD's worth of aerial pictures. Nothing big in the hanger at the moment and I have taken a renewed interest in photography lately. Got some goods shoots of years past from up there, but they were all ground based. If I get brave I may even add video before I get up there.

Ed M.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:06 AM
islandflyer

There are a lot of pi--ed off people on this thread!!!
Sorry for the Funtana haters and Hangar 9 bashers, but I just had another great day flying my Funtana 90
Old 10-31-2004, 12:39 AM
52jaws
My Feedback: (65)

SnapRoli-2 ..... It's a Webra 120

RJConnet ..... Your quite welcome sir and when I have a difinative weight I will let you know (should be soon/couple of days).[sm=thumbup.gif]

The club I belong to flies off the north parking lot of the California Farm Equipment Show grounds. It makes for an endless runway almost. Coalinga is a nice little town other than its one tennant (Charles....).
Next time your down,bring a plane and come join us. Be happy to have ya.
Best wishes to you and your Funtana. I'll keep posting my results.

52 Jaws
Old 11-01-2004, 05:47 PM
jhogie31
My Feedback: (4)

No, unfortunatly I will be here flying my UCD. I did,however, attend the Austin event here in hot Springs back in the summer. What a great event. You will all have a ton of fun.

I am not here to bash anyone or any thing. I just had a problem with an airplane and the company that sold it to me. I have excercised my freedom and have chosen to go to a more proven airplane to fly. I flew my UCD 60 this weekend and loved it. I did not overfly it, or rip the wings off.

I want all of you to understand some of my thoughts:

1. Hangar 9 has a lot of great airplanes. This is just a case of something new that needs tweeking.
2. My airplane fluttered because of linkage problems that stripped my servos. Servos that Hangar 9 said had enough torque to handle the load. I am a man, I would have told all of you if I had pushed the plane above its envelope. But I did not!
3. My issue was with Hangar 9 stating that I had done something wrong without inspecting the damaged wing panels.
4. All that I asked Hangar 9 to do is put a warning in the kit to explain the issues that have occured. this will solve all problems except the shipping issues described above.

I will buy other H9 products in the future. I will just wait about a year after a new plane comes out before I buy it.

Good luck to all. Even you Dick. Like I said before; Thank You for all of your insight and help.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:03 PM
Brave Gary
My Feedback: (1)

2. My airplane fluttered because of linkage problems that stripped my servos. Servos that Hangar 9 said had enough torque to handle the load. I am a man, I would have told all of you if I had pushed the plane above its envelope. But I did not!
Well Said! I agree that had I been doing something wrong I tooooooo would admit it.

Gary
Old 11-01-2004, 09:07 PM
SnApRoLl-

Hello all how is everyone?
I just picked up my new Funtana 90 today and it looks like Hanger 9 did some mods to the wing.
They moved 2 ribs about 2 inches apart for the aileron servo. But! I'm sorry to say I found a few cracks in the ribs I talked to horizon today and they are once again going to send me another plane with a call tag. we had an agreement that we will keep sending and returning planes till we get it right. and that's fine by me since my wife wont let me have my new O.S.
91FX and my Hitec 645 M.G. servos until X-Mas My wife thinks she is going to surprise me
with the new engine and servos but seeing how she bought them at the hobby shop I work part time at, I kind of accidentaly stumbled onto a (signed by my wife)credit card receipt for those items well enough rambling.
take care all and happy landings.

Name:	Ge94627.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	189007  
Old 11-01-2004, 10:36 PM
bentgear

Looks like H9 must have felt most of the failures were from the servo ripping out. Did they change the packaging any? If not I think they missed a biggggggggeeeeeeeee...........

Ed M.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:56 PM
Dick T.

ORIGINAL: jhogie31

What kind of linkage problem did you have? Others folks here can possibly benefit from knowing what occured, thus causing flutter that killed the servos.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:44 PM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DARN, I wish I could get one of those new designed wings. It would make me feel a bit better.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:49 PM
Brave Gary

I would just like to hear from them!!!! I'l call again and find out. htree weeks and counting.

Gary
Old 11-02-2004, 02:34 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm still flying mine with the YS 1.10.. over 100 flights now without a single problem.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:54 PM
jhogie31

the Bll connectors that they supplied along with the small diameter push rods created slop. This in turn caused my servos to stripp, thus my plane crashed. I would replace all of the hardware if I were to build another. But that defeats the purpose of an ARF does it not?
Old 11-02-2004, 03:57 PM
jhogie31

Gary,

Call the product support number and ask for James. He finally helped me. It took 3 months to get everything rectified. But they finally came through.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:14 PM
islandflyer

I did upgrade all the hardware including tail wheel on mine, and no, it did not defeat the purpose of an ARF: I still got a great airplane to fly, for less money and time than it would take me to build from kit.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:18 PM
Brave Gary

ORIGINAL: jhogie31

Gary,

Call the product support number and ask for James. He finally helped me. It took 3 months to get everything rectified. But they finally came through.
Jhogie

I also upgraded all of the hard ware and put in doubles on the rib that I could reach. It looks like the fix with the larger cap strip might help. Thanks for the name. I call tomm. and ask for him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.