Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

CMPro Lancair

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

CMPro Lancair

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 06:58 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: CMPro Lancair

For a plane this small you only need standard servos.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:09 PM
TTR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the recommended controll movements? I can't find it in the manual.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:42 PM
tIANci

For this sort of plane any just go with the following:

Ail: 10-15mm
Rud: 25-30mm
Ele: 15-20mm
Old 03-30-2006, 07:49 AM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I just got my CMP Lancair yesterday. I'm making an electric version using an AXI 4130/16 motor. With a 4S lipo my combination will pull a 13X10 APC at 7600 RPM, or if I want to go really fast I can use a 12X12 at 7780 RPM. I'll post some pictures of the install as I go along, but there won't be much to see since the motor will fit in the cowl easily with nothing sticking out. This plane has superb quality, and is a great deal at $125. Alex at AK-models.com is great to deal with if anyone is looking to buy one.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:13 AM
tIANci

Hot Rod ... you sure the 4130/16 will turn at that RPM with only 4S? An EP version of the plane will be really fine!
Old 03-30-2006, 10:46 AM
Hot Rod Todd

I've tested it and turned those numbers with a tach on the bench. The 13X10 draws the most current, at 51A and 693.9W. I've flown the package on a CMP Cessna, and it was very fast. I'm thinking it will be even faster on the Lancair. Don't forget the 4130/14 is meant to be a replacement for a 4-stroke .90!
Old 03-30-2006, 06:54 PM
tIANci

The numbers look good Todd! I am sure it is gonna rock ...
Old 03-30-2006, 07:24 PM
dgliderguy

I just ordered this one today, from Giantscaleplanes. $114.99 plus UPS, not bad! I got the blue one, with the executive paint job. I'm going to power it with my OS46FX. I have high expectations, judging from what I've read on this thread.

I'll post my impressions once I get it built and flying.

Don.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:57 AM
joee75

Hello all....I am wanting to purchase one of the CMPro Lancair 50's...just a quck question regarding the landing gear...is the setup sturdy as i am running of a grass runway which is a little rough in patches...any input would be greatly appreciated.Thanks. Joe
Old 04-02-2006, 08:28 AM
tIANci

Its sturdy ... not flimsy at all.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:39 AM
joee75

cool, thanks tIANci...good to know..i am close to purchasing one:-)
Old 04-09-2006, 01:07 AM
dgliderguy

Hey, this kit is a quality piece of work! Can't wait to start mine, in another three weeks. Sure is pretty!

Don.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52398.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	441696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48690.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	441697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86308.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	441698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28329.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	441699  
Old 04-11-2006, 06:06 AM
TTR

I fly on a grass runway, so I'm thinking about adding flaps mix on the radio. But before I buy a new receiver (current one is only 4ch) I would like to ask You if a flaps mix is working well on this airplane, and what amount of mix would be safe to start.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:55 AM
dgliderguy

TTR,

I never use "flaps mix" (i.e., flaperon) on my airplanes, as it just invites tip stall problems. Think about it: by drooping the ailerons, you are effectively increasing the incidence of the outer portion of the wing, creating a "wash-in". Bad.

If I thought the Lancair needed flaps (I do not), I would cut them in to the wings, inboard of the ailerons, and install servos in the inboard wings. A fair bit of work, for little gain. The Lancair does not have a high wing loading, and I don't doubt it will perform well off grass (provided the wheel pants don't snag too much).

Don.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:18 AM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

I have the 60 size Lancair from Great Planes. As a matter of fact I have two. They are the best flying planes I have ever flown (that's why I have two). The 60 size comes equipped with flaps and you do need them on that model. The plane is aerodynamically very slick with little drag. Therefore, getting it to slow down for landing is a lttle tricky without flaps deployed. I normally crank in about 15-20 degrees on landing. I also use about 10 degrees on take off which helps on grass field take off.

As for flaperons, I have seen other folks use them with no problems. I have them programed on another plane that I have not flown yet but the ailerons are inboard (next to the fuse) on that model.

Name:	Bz78763.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	443381  
Old 04-11-2006, 09:57 AM
Hot Rod Todd

From my experience the flaperons would allow you to land a bit slower, but as dgliderguy stated, when it does stall it may be drop a tip faster than it would without flaperons. Go ahead and program them in, then do some testing (at altitude) to see which way you like it best. I don't think you'll have much trouble landing on grass if you give the plane time to slow. The gear seems solid enough to handle a landing at normal speed. Keeping the plane as light as possible will be the best thing you can do to help the plane slow down better with less stress. I have no doubt my electric version will be a bit heavy, but it should be worth it.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:52 PM
tIANci

I had the GP Lancair and as much as it was slightly fast for landings it was not that fast. I would describe it as fast as a newbie trying to land his first low winger. I never used flaps on that plane and I doubt that its needed on the CMPro one.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:10 PM
iFLYrc_Vic

ORIGINAL: dgliderguy

TTR,

I never use "flaps mix" (i.e., flaperon) on my airplanes, as it just invites tip stall problems. Think about it: by drooping the ailerons, you are effectively increasing the incidence of the outer portion of the wing, creating a "wash-in". Bad.

If I thought the Lancair needed flaps (I do not), I would cut them in to the wings, inboard of the ailerons, and install servos in the inboard wings. A fair bit of work, for little gain. The Lancair does not have a high wing loading, and I don't doubt it will perform well off grass (provided the wheel pants don't snag too much).

Don.
I did some looking around here on RCU for info on Flaperons. There is some real technical discussion out pro and cons in the Aerodynamics forum. Just search on "flaperons" and read the stuff on "Flaperons - are they good or bad".

The short answer for most models, according to the gurus, is they are bad for use in slowing a plane down for landing but may help with some aerobatic maneuvers. Dons note about "wash-in" was confirmed by the gurus. The articles went further to say that if you have small ailerons out on the end of the wing away from the fuse (like warbirds), don't think about using flaperons. Just thought I would pass that on - read the info and make your own decisions.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:44 PM
dgliderguy

In addition to the effective wash-in, drooping the ailerons also makes the adverse yaw go all to heckinahurry. When you go to bank the airplane, the drooped ailerons will cause the lowered aileron to lower all the more, and the raised aileron to go to neutral. This imbalance will retard the lowered-aileron side bigtime, like hanging a parachute in the breeze-- i.e., adverse yaw of the worst sort. Some guys will tell you to stay off the ailerons altogether when drooped, and just use rudder to control the bank. Yeah, right. Let's not even talk about crosswinds, or ground-level turbulence. Separate flaps is the way to go.

Anyway, this thread is about the cute little Lancair from CMPro. Can't understand why there aren't more guys all hot on this one yet. I need to finish up my current project (DA150-powered Cub tug) in time for our upcoming aerotow event, then I will be starting the Lancair as soon as I get back. Can't wait to get this one flying! A sports car with wings!

More progress pics will appear here shortly.

Don Bailey

Name:	Mj24299.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	444030  
Old 04-13-2006, 03:03 PM
joee75

Just got my CMPRO Lancair 50 last night...what a beautiful piece of machinery...the finish is spot on..wings are like razorblades..can't wait to get this one up in the air...one question...has anyone had any experience with a deadstick landing with one of these? Just interested in knowing the characteristics of how she behaves. Joe
Old 04-17-2006, 07:59 AM
Hot Rod Todd

My CMP Lancair is ready to go. It ended up a little heavy (as I suspected it would) with electric power at about 6.5 lbs, of course that's with the battery, so it would have to be compared to a fully fueled nitro version. I switched to a 5S 3700 lipo pack that pulls a 13X10 prop at 9200 RPM. If I want to go realy fast, it will pull a 12X12 even faster. I'm waiting for the first nice day to give it a try and post a flight report. Here's a photo of the beauty ready to go.

Name:	Zx70684.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	446664  
Old 04-17-2006, 04:38 PM
tIANci

Todd - what motor are you using and any pics of the installation?
Old 04-17-2006, 11:11 PM
bjor

Hi Guys,
I purchased a CMPro Lancair in Australia after reading a local review. The kit is one of the best I've seen and goes together quite easy.
Had the maiden on Saturday and after a very scary snap spin brought the plane under control for a very fast landing. The C.G as specified in the instructions were set up exactly - however after the snap we moved some more weight to the nose (brought the battery forward to just behind the tank) and the plane performed much better second time around - no heart attacks.
Other tips. Had trouble on grass. Our field is cut really short but the wheel pants / spats kept finding obstructions. If flying off grass remove or open up the front wheel pants / spats to give better clearance. Surprisingly the plane looks good without the front pants on.
I'm using a Force 46 up front with an 11.5 x 6 - heaps of grunt. The Lancair does not bleed off speed very easy so throttle off early to slow her down a bit. I've not had a dead stick but if speed accounts for anything they should be fine (not like the real thing). Also if you follow the instructions the front wheel will move in line with the rudder, not against it as it should. Just move the rod to the other side of the supplied servo arm. Overall a great looking plane.

Clear skies
Brad
Old 04-18-2006, 07:22 AM
Hot Rod Todd

CMP builds great planes, but they never seem to get the CG right. I have mine towards the front, so I hope it's not too bad. Where were you at in the range recommended and where did you end up? My instructions are correct for the steering, could be you missed that they cross over the wires on the pull pull set up. I set mine up that way, and it seems to work just fine and gives a little better exit for the cables at the tail. As for the wheel pants, they won't be an issue for me since I'll be landing on a hard surface. I'll put in a flight report if the wind ever dies down.

Name:	Ec89531.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	447215  
Old 04-18-2006, 09:28 AM
iFLYrc_Vic

That is one good looking airplane. As I stated in a previous message, I already have two of the Great Plane 60 size version of this plane. However, I am getting the itch to buy one of these after seeing how good it looks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.