Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

CMPro Lancair

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

CMPro Lancair

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 04:55 PM
gary41
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMPro Lancair

Todd;

I see you went EP on your Lancair 360....As clean as this aircraft is, I was thinking of using an AXI 2826/08 or 2826/10 with a 3c2p. It would not be as fast as yours, but as long as it is a little bit faster than scale and has enough power for mild aerobatics, that'll work for me.

Any suggestions are more than welcome

Gary
Old 08-21-2006, 09:41 AM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm running about 900W with mine, and it has much power. I would not go below 500W though. It would be nice to be lighter, mine is quite heavy for the wing type and area. I would make sure you keep the weight down wherever you can. Also, NEVER let your fuse sit in a hot car on a sunny day, it will actually get soft and distort.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92949.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	510696  
Old 08-21-2006, 10:23 AM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

Got mine in last week from AKM. I plan to use an OS .46AX which should be enough power for this plane. It sure is a beatiful work of art.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:23 PM
gary41

Todd;

Thanks for the info! Especially about the possible disfigurement of the fuse. IT HAS BEEN HOT here in Huntsville, AL for the past 5 or 6 weeks.

I ended up choosing an E-Flite motor the 32 series. Supposed to get around 650 to 700 watts out of it.

Regards,
Gary
Old 08-21-2006, 03:22 PM
Hot Rod Todd

That sounds like a nice set-up. Keep it light, make sure you don't use the recommended CG as mentioned in earlier posts, and I think you'll be happy. I also found that I needed to replace the weak nose gear because it would bend easily.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:53 PM
gary41

Where did you end up with your C.G.? I would think we would make it a little "tail Heavy" because we'll never have that 10 oz. of fuel in the nose.

On another note, I thought I had the lipo thing a figured out, but there is so much hype and war stories going around, I don't yet know what "brand" to purchase!
Old 08-22-2006, 07:27 AM
Hot Rod Todd

If you look back in the posts I ended up at about 67mm from the leading edge at the root. For an electric set up (no fuel in the nose) that seems to work great.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:31 AM
Hot Rod Todd

As for the Lipo's, I have had good luck with all of the brands I have tried. The choices are a bit more limited when you get up into the larger sizes and cell counts. It is a good idea to use a cell balancer like the Astro Flight Blinky to keep your pack in good shape. If you don't get much air flow over the batteries, you'll have to limit the current to keep the temp down. I seem to be getting a bit of flow in the lancair from the control outlets in the rear and the holes in the front, but you need to open up some holes in the firewall to get a bit of airflow.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:10 PM
iFLYrc_Vic

Got mine the other day and I will be using an OS .46 SF engine. The engine fits just fine but you have to cut a big hole in the cowl for the muffler. Anyone tried a pitts muffler. The Slimline Pitts muffler looks like it may barely fit without cutting any holes except for the exhaust tubes. I think that will look better than the stock setup even if you have to cut a small hole for the side of the muffler.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:45 AM
iFLYrc_Vic

ORIGINAL: iFLYrc_Vic

The engine fits just fine but you have to cut a big hole in the cowl for the muffler. Anyone tried a pitts muffler. The Slimline Pitts muffler looks like it may barely fit without cutting any holes except for the exhaust tubes.
I found a thread on another forum that showed this Lancair with a Slimline Pitts muffler installed. I ordered a slimline for my plane.

Name:	Zx71028.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	515963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58027.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	515964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92595.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	515965  
Old 08-30-2006, 10:32 AM
Hot Rod Todd

I've seen some who have had problems with the slimline with a .46FX because it has very little back pressure. They have resorted to partially blocking one of the outputs. Depending on your tank location, maybe you will have no problems.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:39 AM
iFLYrc_Vic

I have had some performance issues with other planes with pitts style mufflers. I had to block off one of the tubes entirely for one application. Thanks for the reminder...
Old 09-06-2006, 11:07 AM
iFLYrc_Vic

BJOR, one of us has a newer model for this plane from CMP. I just got mine a few weeks ago and my servo tray is different. They rotated the rudder/nosewheel servo 90 degrees and move it forward. The elevator servo is now located on the centerline behind the rudder servo. This results in the elevator push rod running down the center of the plane rather than from one side. I have another plane (GP Lancair) that has split elevators and if the push rod is not centered, the elevators deflect at different rates. At full deflection, one elevator has a higher angle than the other which will induce some roll (snap).

I suppose there were some complaints about this and they revised the design to get the elevator push rod centered. They added some plywood spacers for the rudder servo to raise the servo arm up enough so that the pull-pull wires don't rub across the top of the elevator servo arm. I had to add additional spacers to get good clearance. I also used some heat-shrink tubing on the ends of the wires prevent the wire lock (copper tube) from snagging on the elevator servo arm.

This is not my model but you can see the location of the servos in the servo tray. The instruction sheet does not show anything mounted in the outboard servo holes.

Name:	Ge96226.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	519908  
Old 10-11-2006, 09:35 PM
dragonpilot
My Feedback: (38)

Read about the CA hinges. I didn't notice a problem with them and I've already installed mine, did anyone have a problem with them with the new version of this Lancair. Just want to make sure or redo them.
Thanks
Old 10-18-2006, 04:46 AM
joee75

Has anybody had any issues with engine overheating and can anybody give their thoughts on airflow around the engine on this model?..I am going to run an os46ax. Joe
Old 10-19-2006, 09:49 PM
bjor

Joee75. I run an OS46AX in my beasty and it has more than enough grunt to pull the Lancair around like a pylon racer. Ive not had any overheating issues with my AX, but I do tend to run it a bit richer than I normally would for this motor. My AX is completely covered by the cowl - not even the head is exposed and I access the glow plug through a small hole in the cowl and a long glow plug. I also start up in or near the pilot area to eliminate long taxiing to the strip to keep the engine cool. Once in the air there seems to be enough air flow to keep things running O/k
Old 10-20-2006, 04:41 AM
joee75

Thanks Bjor, I thought it would be ok, I will take on your advice..one question, i have never heard of the long glow plugs, are they something readily available? I am still learning the tricks of this awesome hobby.
Thanks. Joe
Old 10-20-2006, 06:22 AM
iFLYrc_Vic

ORIGINAL: joee75

Thanks Bjor, I thought it would be ok, I will take on your advice..one question, i have never heard of the long glow plugs, are they something readily available? I am still learning the tricks of this awesome hobby.
Thanks. Joe
I think he was referring to a long glow plug starter. Some glow plug starters (lighters) have a very long extension to allow you to reach a glow plug on a fully cowled engine.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:50 PM
bjor

Sorry Joee75. A long glow plug starter was exaclty what I meant. This allows me to have a smallish hole in the cowl just large enough to allow me to place it onto the glow plug on the engine head. Thanks iFLYrc_Vic.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:51 AM
joee75

Yep, cool, thanks for that, i have one of those, hopefully i will get time to build this baby shortly
Old 10-31-2006, 03:27 PM
Pilot44
My Feedback: (20)

Just finished mine,

Came in at 6.2 lbs, RTF with OS46AX for power.

Have to say, for a buck, this is a real nice ARF.

Jim

Name:	Li21247.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	552005  
Old 10-31-2006, 04:06 PM
iFLYrc_Vic

Wow, yours looks just like mine. My plane has the OS46SF engine and a Slimline Pitts style muffler. I broke in the engine with a coulpe of 10 oz tanks on the stock muffler. It runs very good with the pitts muffler with one of the exhaust tubes plugged.

I also installed the nose wheel strut cover and wheel pant but I don't know how long it is going to last on my grass field. I took it out for some high speed taxi runs and the nose wheel was "working" pretty hard[:-]. Just waiting for a good day to do the maiden.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:44 PM
Hot Rod Todd

You may find you need a heavier wire on the nose wheel, the one that it comes with is very weak.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Pilot44

I used a Slimline Pitts muffler as well. chopped the pipes closer to the cowl. I have a Great Planes P51 ARF. Been flying this model for years. I use the Pitts muffler there as well. Never plugged the pipe and runs fine. What did you use to plug the pipe? May try that if needed.

There is no information on any control surface throws for this model anywhere on the instruction sheet. Someone here suggested throws, but I don't know about Elevator throws 15-20mm. Seems quite a bit for this model... I would think 8-12mm might be a bit less sensitive. Any rate, I always setup for initial flights with at least 2 different throws set in D/R with 50% Expo.

Anyone have practical results for the throws from flight evaluations?

I setup the ailerons for just 5% differential for first flights,
Old 11-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Pilot44

Are we talking about the CMP or Greatplanes model.

The nose gear wire on the CMP seems pretty darn solid to me as these things go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.