Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

CONTINUATION..H9 HELLCAT FIRST 2 FLIGHTS

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

CONTINUATION..H9 HELLCAT FIRST 2 FLIGHTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 08:03 PM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CONTINUATION..H9 HELLCAT MINES OK HOWS YERS?

I am glad you know everything. We need more people like you. I was just making a comment on my past experiences. I have been involved with this hobby for many years and do a lot of building from kits. I think I have enough experience to give an opinion. I did not know that only you could speak on this forum.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:34 AM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

now ya know
Old 06-19-2006, 07:36 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bignasdy,
You said your silocone caulk fell off allready. Have you ran it yet? I fixed the saddle last night. It took me about 30 min. I had to sand the first 1.5" of the saddle. I removed about 1/16" high spot in the radius that was hitting the sheeting. The cowl is going to be sent back though.
Are you running a Pitts with the MDS? I am going to run a Tower .75 with Bisson Pitts. I have a well broken in one that runs extremely strong with no dead sticks in the first 4 gallons "knock on wood". I ordered a replacement last night for the Shoestriing. Bax from Great planes says they will turn a 13-8 about 10,000. I currently spin a 12-7 APC at about 12,000.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:43 AM
bignasdy

yea motorman...that cauk cracked as soon as I fired it up,well it didnt carck. it came loose from midway to the rear on both sides.
Ive run the motor before...it came off my 26 year old royal stuka. The muffler Im using is a pitts, SLIMLINE. for an os 91fx. Same exact size.

FIRST REAL PROBLEM ENCOUNTERED!:
Im using a hitec hs75 retract servo. Was gonna fly it yeterday, but the servo quit working. Off to the LHS , got another and the same problem....servo totaly quit after about 6 cycles of the gear. Obviously, this servo is not gonna do the job. I'll be looking at better servos this week.
Glad you fixed the wing saddle...........what a pain and it shoulda BEEN right.... Its hard to beleive a company would send out a cowl like that.....what a joke for quality control;!.
Oh well keep us up to date!
thanx
d
Old 06-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Iflyglow

I do not know if you are a JR or Futaba person, but I have the JR Sport Retract servo ordered right now for $25.00. The plugs are universal and the Sport line is actually very close, if not identical to there twice as expensive regular servo's rebadged with the Sport logo. I have been useing there ST47B's and really like them. I clipped this from there add.

RT88 Retract (1.15 oz, 88 oz/in Torque)

Specs

Type: Retract
Torque: 88 oz/in @ 4.8V
Speed: 1.12/160 @ 4.8v, .90/160 @ 6v
Dimensions: 1.74 x .92 x .88 in
Weight: 1.15 oz
Application: Retractable Landing Gear
Old 06-19-2006, 12:15 PM
bookboy22

How are those retracts? I heard someone say that H9 has beefed them up. They don't look beefed up in the photos. The H9 F4U had really weak retracts and everyone ended up replacing them which is a expensive upgrade! My club grass field is surely going to destroy any weak retracts, great pilot or not. I've been flying the H9 P51 PTS for 200+ flights now, and upgraded the the engine to an OS .61fx. Had to reinforce the FW or the 61 would have ripped it out. I love scale look of this H9 Hellcat. I'm thinking of purchasing it with a Saito 100. keep up your post and pictures.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Iflyglow

I think the ball links have been beefed up.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:27 PM
bookboy22

What is this other CMP Helllcat 90 ARF for $195 + shipping. Sure it doesn't come with retracts but if the H9 retract are crap, and I'm going to end replacing them anyway, why should I pay for them when I can get a 90 size Hellcat ARF for less money. Should I still go with a H9? The bottom line is that I want a well made plane, and I'm willing to pay extra for that.

http://ak-models.com/cmp_f6f_hellcat.htm
Old 06-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Pit-Viper 1
My Feedback: (12)

I can only say one thing about CMP products, cutomer service is by far the worst around, and some of there products are very poorly manufactured. I have the .90 Spitfire and it has been a nightmare from the get go. All but one control serface is warped and the left wing tip from the end of the aileron to the tip is 3/16" shorter than the other tip. See pic. below. Not too mention having to drill all the holes to mount the wing and the dowls. Then after that the CG seems to be way off on most models. Then try too call customer service, they may as well just disconnect their phones, it would be just as helpful.

Now H9 on the other hand not only replaced a plane I lost due to a bad battery pack but they lost the first one (delivered to wrong address) and sent another no questions asked. They are prompt and will be there if you have any questions. Smart money goes to H9..

Shane
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33490.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	479903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31820.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	479904  
Old 06-19-2006, 04:08 PM
Iflyglow

I paid $235.00 for mine after a little dealing.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:10 PM
bignasdy

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_21..._1/key_/tm.htm
I may get a set of these...........dont have time to read the thread right now so......
pitviper....I feel yer pain!
I was gonna get a spit recently but smethin told me to stay away from nitro....cmp......skyshark...or whatever they are.
You know you get what you pay for , for sure.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:10 PM
navy fly guy

Hey Guys!! Take a look at the thread that DavidG has on page #1 of the H9 photo of the gear cycling up it looks to like they have 4-5 screws holding the belly pan on NOT just the factory ??glue?? Lets keep if friendly I am building it also ans have just completed removal of all of the markings prior to buffing and repainting it to FS colors.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:11 PM
bookboy22

After hearing that review, I think I'll stay with the H9 Hellcat. What engine I should get for the Hellcat? I've heard great things about the Saito 100, and the YS 110FZ sounds nice also. The other option is the new Zen 20cc if it fits. I'm not sure about paying out $339 for 20cc though. The H9 Hellcat manual does not have the Zen 20cc in the recomended engines section. That's strange as its fits in the H9 F4U and P47 60's. Has anyone flown the H9 Hellcat yet, and what engine are they using? I sent an email to Horizon today asking if they have beefed up the weak retracts that were used in the H9 F4U. Haven't heard back from them yet. I have a brand new pair of 3/8" robostruts that I was going to use on my top flite 60 Spitfire kit that I'm building. Would those work with the Hellcat's retracts?

Thanks
Old 06-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Pit-Viper 1

I don't think there would be a problem getting the Z 20EI into it, have you seen one of these yet? I did finally, they are tiny compared to the way they look on the sites. Very cool, i was going to get one but I need just a bit more power. G26 is what I need.

Shane
Old 06-19-2006, 10:54 PM
Hepdog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Navy Fly Guy how did you remove the factory decals/stickers? Was it just grab and peel? I have one on order that should be here this week and I'd really like to do RCNA markings...without having to re-cover the whole airplane.

For the gear's durability, apart from the specualtion, has anyone actually flown one off grass yet AND had a problem??
Old 06-20-2006, 12:05 AM
navy fly guy

Hi you are not going to believe how easy it was. All I did was lift a corner of each graphic and it lifter right off!! If these ore iron-on decals they didn't use much heat!! I would like to see how they hold up under castrol and gas!! Bet we see people fussing with them in future comments here. I had to really use heat to get the ones on my Funtanna off.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:10 AM
bookboy22

I looked at one the other day at my LHS. Very cool little engine. Can you fit the Zen G26 into the H9 Hellcat? What about that extra weight? It would be a shame to add all that extra weight in the tail just to get your CG right. That extra weight would also kill those retracts for sure, and you better reinforce that firewall or you will be flying Santa's sleigh without Rudof.

Zen 20cc = 41.6oz w/muff and mount
Zen G26 = 59oz w/muff no mount
Saito 100 = 20.9oz w/muff no mount

I'm really thinking about putting in the Saito 100.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Pit-Viper 1

Yeah the G26 is heavier and in my application the extra weight is needed. I was using the RCV.91CD and it flies it nice but it just isn't quite enough to pull it around even for scale flight. If your thiking of the Saito 100 and if the extra cash isn't a problem, you should go with the 1.25. My buddy used the 100 in a the H9 P-51 then he put the 1.25 out of his showtime in it and that thing has gobs more power. Just a thought. It's kinda funny when you put the Saito 1.20 and the 1.25 side by side cause the 1.20 looks huge compared to the 1.25. Here's the 1.00 and 1.25 together, can you tell which is which? He uses an APC 16x8 and the plane is around 8-9lbs. and will almost hover, lol

Shane

Name:	Pn37819.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	480347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69801.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	480348  
Old 06-20-2006, 09:22 PM
bookboy22

I really like having that extra power. The guys at my club field said that I was nuts putting in an OS .61fx in my H9 PTS. Well I'm flying circles around their PTS's now. I was looking at the Saito 100 because in the RC mags, they always use the 100 on their 60's. I think for the extra $60 it would be worth while getting the 125. I will need to re inforce the FW for sure then. So the G26 will fit in H9 Hellcat? Do you have any pictures of the install? If the G26 fits nice, I rather go with it. From your pictures, I can't tell which one is the 120 or the 125.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:46 AM
Pit-Viper 1

The left is the 1.25, I don't have the G26 yet but that what I will be useing, If it was a four banger I would definately go Saito 1.25. Yeah I would reinforce the firewall as well, thats the reason this is off the plane now. Here's a couple pics on how he did it. The 2 square pieces of stock between the metal rods are where he cut the firewall and ran them all the way into the bulkhead so they look like the original one that is there. Should work pretty well. I was going to put my RCV .91 in the PTS but it weighs a little much for this plane, I will figure something else out. Wish we still had the OS .50, it took a dirt nap in a fourstar 40. lol

Shane

Name:	Yw68455.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	480615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie97878.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	480616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58023.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	480617  
Old 06-21-2006, 06:58 AM
Iflyglow

I just got done pulling all the hot glue from the back side of the firewall. It is scary how easy that stuff came out with a hemostat. Just grab the corner of it, and it all pulled right clean off the wood. Now for the fun stuff, applying epoxy and little 1/2 sections of triangle stock all the way around the firewall joint. I cannot believe H9 expected us to bolt there 1.0 paint shaker to the front of this.[X(] It would kinda belike trying to fly Santa's Sleigh when Rudolph decided to fly on his own. 90 percent of the hot melt they put on firewall was not even contacting both surfaces. I have a whole lunch bagy full of hot melt glue, maybe I should send it to Horizon.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:26 AM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Motorman, Pit-viper, I rest my case about H-9 Syndrome. You have some very interesting points about the Saito 1.25 versus 1.0. At 4500 feet altitude here in Logan, a Saito 1.0 pulls the H-9 Mustang quite well [ little more than scale ] But I tend to wonder if the 1.25 may be just too much for the F-6 airframe. I too pulled that gummy glue off the firewall, and re-inforced with fiberglass cloth and resin with bits of round dowel all around it. [Standard corrective proceedure for H-9 products]. Any ideas where to find a more scale looking tailwheel. Any body besides me adding brass-tubes cut to shape for wing guns ?. MM
Old 06-21-2006, 08:53 AM
Iflyglow

How hard would it be at the factory to glue the firewall in with epoxy.[sm=confused.gif] I wonder what the glue joints look like in the tail and in the wings.[X(] Maybe if enough people would complain to Horizon, they could step up the glue quality a bit.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:10 PM
bookboy22

Horizon Support replied back to my email and said the following:

Joseph,

Thank you for your recent e-mail. There are no known problems about the retracts on either the F4U or the F6F Hellcat. Also there is no combo for the Hellcat 60 and Saito 100, they will need to be purchased separately.

I hope you find this information useful. If you have any further questions, please reply to this email or give us a call at 877-504-0233.

Note: I guess Horizon doesn't know that the retracts on the H9 F4U are junk. Oh well, I guess the H9 Hellcat has the same retracts as on the F4U, and I'll end up ripping them to pieces and nosing over the plane. So much for H9 beefing them up. Everyone should budget themselves for new retracts.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:15 PM
bignasdy

If yall do use the stockers, I dont think the destruction manual is correct in stating that the connectors on the servo arm should be 1 inch apart. I fried those two servos.......I think.
I'll pick up another and try it this weekend, and get back.....
Saito 100 would be nice for sure.
d

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.