Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Twist 3D 60 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Twist 3D 60 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 06:50 PM
jawbuy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Twist 3D 60 ARF

Well i rebuilt my 60 instead of buying a new one.flew it today and still have to move the cg forward,I'm at 160 mm right now and will move it to 150 mm.does anyone have it further forward than that?I'm still having trouble with the evo 100 witch caused the crash of my maiden flight,it keeps quiting on me,i think its the plug but I'm not sure.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:51 PM
JPHen
My Feedback: (33)

Got my batteries. Now I'm waiting for some new gear from Graphtech. Hoping to save some weight as the gear is quite heavy. Hopefully it will be here by tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:00 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Guys - I just got done finishing mine. Let's see, I've got the OS 91 on it with a 15x4W prop and aluminum spinner. Sullivan tail wheel. HiTec 465MG servo's everywhere except the throttle. Also used the HD 4-40 ball links w/the sullivan 4-40 solder clevices on the other end on all connecting rods. I did the CG at 6-1/8" (I think that was it), dead center of the recommended. Took 1.75 ounces of lead in the tail. Will break the motor in this week and maiden this weekend (weather permitting) and I'll let you all know how it goes.

Pictures to follow
Old 09-11-2006, 08:59 PM
go vertical
My Feedback: (1)

jawbuy
i don't know if this will work for you but on any 2cy over .90 i use a 4 stroke plug and it seems to help with tuchey motors
Old 09-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Colyn

Hi Jawbuy I rebuilt mine too and flew it again four times.. now HS5625's everywhere HS81 on the throttle...C.G 150 mm and a 15X4 prop...fly's like a different plane ...the aileron links are bending now!!!!! I went out and bought a new kit (could not wait for a new fuse) I have some carbon tube and some 4/40 ball links...just started to build the 2nd one. The first one is still well flyable but I was a little worried about the fuse breaking behind the canopy where I repaired it during walls etc.....if it broke in flight there is a real possibility of breaking the rest of the gear also. I had an Evo 100 in my showtime it went back to horizon for a new piston/liner after three flights!!!! never ran it again sold it..... I'll never buy another!!!! I am looking forward to flying some real 3D when it's finished oh by the way with the Saito 100 15X4 combo it starts to pull out of the hover at less than 1/4 throttle, roll out is around three feet I laughed out loud when I took off the last time I flew it..... and now with that prop and the C.G moved to the forward positin it floats in nicely without the need for down elevator, just keep the aileron orientation correct[:@] and I think this could turn out to be as much fun as my old Twist 40...only the 60 fly's loads better. Good luck with yours.....this is probably one of the most sensitive planes with an incorrect C.G that I have flown .....with the exception of my not so Funtana 90 Colin.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:41 PM
jawbuy

COLYN good to here that you got it going again,i will definitely move the cg to 150mm.GO VERTICAL i will try a four stroke plug,the evos are suppose to have one anyway but im using an os 8 or 3.if that doesn't solve it i will do what colyn did and send it back and pick at a different engine.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:01 PM
GPutt33

Well I broke the OS 91 in on the stand, range checked it, and maidened it last night. Took off easily but after that is was a handful to try and get trimmed. Seemed if I tweaked it right it went too far, going one click at a time left and then back right several times I just couldn't seem to get it to quit from trying to slightly drop one wing or the other. Also seemed to either want to climb or dive with only a click or two of down or up. Earlier post I mentioned I had the CG dead center. Does anyone have any helpful hints on what I might need to look for to get it to settle down? I've flown the dog snot out of the 40 size and absolutely love its response. I'm just trying to get more into the 3D with stronger engines, so I'm trying to learn the set ups. I agree elevator throws are more then enough although I'll dial in a little more expo. Rolls were way slow compared to the 40, like someone said earlier, more like a trainer, so I'll go with the recommended hi rates on low and max out from there up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77410.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	524151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94189.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	524152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb87015.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	524153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79984.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	524154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49793.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	524155  
Old 09-15-2006, 09:20 AM
go vertical

gregg
i think your problem is your plane is set up with the control rods to far to the hinge line on the control surfaces move them to the outer most holes on the horns and put expo in to take away sensitivity mine on high rates is very twichy i don't recomend there high rates as your low rates mine on high rates rolls very fast your high rates must not be high enough to tame your plane you should start out with a slightly nose heavy set up till you get your throws set up
Old 09-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Colyn

Hi Greg yes I agree with you they are a handful however there is a soultion...I have just put together my second Twist 60 and it fly's night and day better than the first...heres why.....firstly...the wing on both my 60's were not even in weight IE the wing as viewed from the front was tip heavy on the right side I had to add 3/4 ounce of stick on wheel weights to the wing tip,(I peeled off the covering and stuck them on the inside then resealed the tip covering) this now balanced the model latterally, next I used a 4 pitch prop ,I have a Saito 100 so I tried both a 15X4 and a 14x4 the 15X4 worked the best, The single most important thing I did was to set the C.G at 150MM behind the L.E at the fuse sides(I used a balancing machine) I also swaped out the servo's to Hitec digitals all around (HS 5625's) because A/ the saito and prop combo creates a lot of wash over the surfaces B/ the Twist's control surfaces are very very tight so much so on both of mine i could not get full deflection with STD servo's they would just stall without the motor running so you can imagine with the force of the plane moving though the air, the motor wash and the tight surfaces how much force the servo's have acting against them.
So I know what you are thinking it won't 3D very well with such a forward c.g well it will do a blender and the wall and it will hover ....with the saito on the front mine pulls out of the hover on a tad under 1/4 throttle!!!! it fly's great too with no bad habbits it lands like a trainer ...when I flew my first Twist I had the c.g in the middle and a 14X8 prop and std servo's, the ailerons were weak and the rudder was almost no existant, I had to hold at least 4-7 clicks of down just to maintain a decent glide path on final , however the blenders were flatter and the hover super easy....but it flew like a B***H so i decided to set it as i have and i think its a good mix easy sedate flyer and it will still 3D....i am sure that the hardcore 3Ders will not agree with me but I am speaking from experience which is why this is my second kit!!!!!!!, good luck let us know how it fly's if you decide to change things and what you changed, i would love to know how every body's Twist's fly Regards colin. :P.S I used the rates per the manual low with 15% expo high with 40% expo and the most I could get them to move with the third rate and 75% expo I use a 9 C Super and generally only fly on high rates....I mean the third rate or 3d rates if you will!!!!
Old 09-15-2006, 01:56 PM
GPutt33

Hey thanks a bunch for comments guys. I checked my control horn settings after the 1st flight and actually everything is set to the out side holes on both the control horns and servo arms both. I guess I'll take a few oz's off of the tail and balance towards the front of the recommended CG. I guess one oopps I did for the first time was failed to do a lat CG and check it that way, so I'll do that tonight to see if I have one side heavier then the other. That muffler on the OS 91 isn't any small can.. It also sounds like I might need more horses in the servos, so if I can't get it straigtened out this next flight maybe I'll swap a couple of the JR Sport 125' into it and see if those help. Will also dial in a little more expo on all surfaces, and more travel on the wings.

Thanks again guys and I'll file a report afterwards. Just need to see what this storm is going to do to us this weekend. Right now they are predicting a lot of wind and even snow (which I'll take, hopefully it wil put out some of these cotton picken fires around here!!).
Old 09-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Mike Baldwin

I picked up one of these on saturday and maidened it this after noon. I only put on one flight because of the windy conditions, but I was happy with the plane so far. I was just wonder what everyones plane was wieghing in at. Mine came in at 7.6 lbs (7lbs 9 oz) with standard servos, 6 v pack, and a Super tigre G90 with APC 15-4 wide. I had to move the battery half ways back to the tail to get it to balance at 6 inches. I would thought the vertical would have been unlimited with this combo but it fell off after a while. I might not have had the engine peaked yet but still, I thought it would have been beter. I did not get to try the high rates yet.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:16 PM
go vertical

mike
in my opinion the thick wing and general drag or the plane as a whole is what causes the slow down even with a good power to weight ratio . welcom to the twist world
Old 09-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Colyn

Well boys and girls I flew the 2nd twist on sunday...wind was at least 25K and blustery....still maidened it though...no elevator trim req just one click of right..Saito 100, 15X4 APC, 4X HS5645's 1X HS81 900 Mah RX pack Futaba 9C Super C.G set at 150 MM balanced with the battery behind the fuel tank, all up weight 6.8 Lbs ......3 feet roll out vertical outa sight trimmed it then gave her!!!!! blenders were okish...inverted slight elevator input....knife edge some coupling.... the wall..WOW......but the best part was it hovers almost hands off at 1/4 throttle, then pin the gas it climbs out instantly then out of sight...looks like the Saito prop combo is the way to go. I have triple rate set ..manual low/high and as far as I can make them move!!! for the triple rate the roll rate on triple rate is immense I rolled the entire lenth of our field with almost no drop in altitude man I love this plane (now) I landed it with the wind the way it was (about 20-25 K) it almost landed without any forward roll out ...awesome. I only flew once because of the wind...the Twist will always come to the field with me know, best of luck to the rest of you Twist owners...Colin.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:55 PM
jawbuy

maiden in 25 mph k wind?I love it,would have done the same.i got the evo 100 running by switching from 15% omega to 5% cool power (midrange is awful sloppy though)im using a 14x4 prop thinking of trying a 13x5.Colyn with a 15x4 prop you must have little clearance,did you change the gear?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Mike Baldwin

I would think that a 13-4 would not be enough prop for a 100. I'm running a 15-4 on mine and had to tweak the gear just a little to get a little more clearance. No problems as of yet. I got another flight on mine today untill it started to rain. On finial I ran a little long so I throttled up to go around again and the engine quit at about 20 ft. I was able to turn it and put in the taller grass. It hit the ground pretty level, but a little hard. I checked it over real well and found that the fuel tank had slid backwards far enough to disconect the pressure line when I throttled up to go around. I learned you should not rely on the rubber bands to hold the tank in place. No real damage done to the plane, its pretty tough. A few stress cracks in the landing gear block. I used some CA to strenthen the block and removed the blind nuts, then tapped the block for 1/4 20 nylon bolts. I'v had good luck with this in the past. I also put a piece of ply with some foam on it behind the tank so it could not slide back again. The more I fly it the more I like it. I just wish the weather would be better so I could get some more air time with it.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:05 PM
bigal422
My Feedback: (50)

Whats up with all the clearance problems. I had a 125 on mine with a 16x6 prop. So the prop was a little green after flying.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Colyn

Green prop LOL nice one bigal.....well so far as soon as the tail wheel is off the deck its goes vertical and when landing, (so far it has anyway) almost harriered in in any case it was a three pointer and the roll out only three or four feet then it stopped. but when you tip up the rear with the prop vertical you are right there is only maybe an inch, inch and a half tops so just make sure it does not nose over too much on take off...but like i said the saito/ prop combo is awesome bags and bags of power awesome i love it. Its been raining here all day I wanted to fly it this eve but it's pissing down now so it will have to wait, set it up right and you will be rewarded with a great flying plane that will fly the way you want it to. colin
Old 09-21-2006, 08:49 AM
Mike Baldwin

I put three more flights on my Twist 60 yesterday. Any one else haveing problems getting it to snap nice. On low rates its real ugly and on high rates it looks like a trainer snapping. I reallize that because of the wide fat wing it isn't going to snap like my Cap, but its real ugly. I'm unsure what to increase to try to get it looking better. Even on low rates it loops real tight, and it has more than enough rudder to knife edge and stall turn. By the way do the rest of you have to use alot of ailaron to keep it on its side durring knife egde? I'm going to add a little more elevator and ailorons today and see what happens. Right now I have every thing set by the book.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:58 AM
go vertical

mike
it is not going to snap real clean no matter what you do it's just not designed for it the 40 size doesn't snap good eather the plane has to thick an airfoil with to wide a cord on the wing with to short of a fuse
Old 09-21-2006, 04:00 PM
patnjimtucker

Hello fellow twisters. I maidened my new Twist 60 today. I have an OS91 on it and it is balanced with 2 1/4 oz of lead on tail. CG is about 6" so it is very near the front range for CG. I flew it 2 times today. Was very windy. I have owned several of the Twist 40's so I have a fair amount of experience with the Twist. I found this new 60 to track very well, but got a big surprise on landing. It really wants to nose up when it gets slow, so I have to add lots of down elevator to stop it from stalling on final. Any one else experience this? I am wondering if there is a fix for this, or do I just get used to it. And I find that the ailerons, and elevator do not have as much authority as in the 40, so this evening I will be increasing the throws for the aileron, and elevator. Rudder seems to have lots of authority. I am using the stock linkages, and do not see any problems. I am using the standard Futaba 3004 servos all around. I found that the fit and finish of this plane is excellent, and I love the fact that so much of the build is predone, like ailerons attached, horns attached, linkage precut to size. Nice touch Hanger 9. Jim Tucker
Old 09-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Colyn

Hi Jim see above and previous posts....set your C.G to 150 mm behind the T.E at the fuse sides...the servo's are not enough either i have 5625's on mine, just got back from flying I love this plane now it's sorted. I had the same problem too with balloning it's the C.G mine hovers almost hands off at 1/4 throttle (Saito 100 and APC 15X4 prop), I had a dead stick tonight...out of gas .... and it floats in like a trainer.. move the c.g fit beefier servo's and if not already fit a 14X4 prop it will fly like a different plane...Good luck Colin.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:54 PM
patnjimtucker

Colyn. I really appreciate your help and comments. I am not sure of some of the things that you mentioned, so I seek some clarification. I said that my CG was 6". You suggest 150mm. I got out my ruler and find that 150mm is like 5 7/8". Are you suggesting that a 1/8" change in CG will make that big a differnece. (1/8" = about 3 mm)

For me to move from 6" to 5 7/8" CG will require that I add weight to the tail. Will that not make the nose ballon even more on landing? Actually I was thinking of removing weight from the tail to stop the balloning, but this would make the CG get bigger. IE more than 6" and more than 150 mm. So I am really confused now. Can you please clairify this?

You suggest a 14 x 4 prop. I am using an OS 91 engine. It has more HP than an Saito 100, so I have a 16 x 4W prop. It turns about 9000 RPM. So when you suggested a 14 x 4 have you used the OS91? It is listed as able to make 2.8 HP. I think the Saito 100 is about 2 HP.

You suggest beefier servos. You mention 5625's. I am a Futaba guy so I do not know what this means. My servos give about 44 oz of torque, as I recall. What brand is the 5625's and what are their torgues?

Thanks for any help you can provide. Jim
Old 09-21-2006, 09:09 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Colin
I see you are running the 4 HS5645's with a 900 MAH pack. Is this a 4.8V pack? You mentioned that you perform blenders ----probably some other manuevers that combine aileron ele, & rudder so it sounds like you are taxing the current load fairly hard without loss of RX control. How long can you fly on a RX charge? Does the for digitals draw your pack down very fast? I'm trying to select a 5 volt battery for a similar set up and have been cautioned about digital drain,etc.
Thanks GarySS
Old 09-21-2006, 09:24 PM
Colyn

Ok...sorry well as far as the c.g goes I set my first 60 twist up witht he middle of the c.g range I soon changed this to where it is now and inverted on the c.g machine it is dead nuts at 150mm from the L.E measured at the fuse side and yes it does make a huge difference,the Twist 60 seems to like a more forward CG than the 40 size did, as for power you would do well to get the claimed h.p out of your O.S and yes I have flown with that motor before....have you tached the motor with that prop at what you say it reving at????? I would be surprised to see that many rpm's with such a large diameter prop??? any way.....the servo's...I used to be a futaba man too untill I discovered Hitec's..the 5625 is a high torque high speed servo that is almost half the price of the futaba equivilent. here is the link http://www.greathobbies.com/products..._id=HITHS5625S
the std futaba servo's stall when full deflection is applied with the Twist which is why the rudder and the ailerons are so ineffective, something esle I learned ...this is the 2nd Twist 60 I have had I crashed the first but the second one is awesome and fly's so much better than the 40 size....it keeps it's upline much better than the 40 does
the O.S motor is a little lighter than the o.s however the o.s muffler is heaver than the Saito but if you use the Hitec servo's they are heavier than the std futaba's so you will not have to use ballast to balance.
by the way if you move the c.g forward you will have to take away weight from the tail not add it. hope this helps..regards Colin.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:27 PM
bobkra
My Feedback: (13)

GarySS,

I use 5625 digitals and get about 50 minutes flying time out of a 2300mah battery pack before the voltage get too low.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.