RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Top Flite AT6 ARF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/8132639-top-flite-at6-arf.html)

maddieone 03-08-2009 01:45 PM

RE: Top Flite AT6 ARF

I went onto Robart's WEB site and saw that they have replacement wires for the 618's but could not figure out how to order them, no page for spare parts. Today is Sunday so I am going to give them a call tomorrow. Will let you know what I find out. Would rather replace wires as opposed to getting a whole new set of retracts.

Curt

superspec 03-23-2009 06:55 PM

Hey guys, my son did his maiden flight friday evening. A little squirly on takeoff, but this plane can fly.
slow speed flybyes were awsome. the OS 91 is plenty of power for this bird. With the flaps down the landings were greased.
Saturday morning He ran this plane through the wringer. Both of us are very impressed with the AT6.
We would highly recomend this plane. I also got some airtime, what a joy to fly.

jet22b 03-23-2009 07:30 PM

superspec;

Glad to hear about you and your son flight with the Texan. Yes, the OS 91 is a good engine for this plane. Keep an eye on the main landing case for cracks
I found one on my right main gear that ran from the top mounting bolt to the bottom mounting bolt. I am waiting on the Robart Gear that are made for this airplane to
come in and I will post pictures of the mod and where I put the airtank.
This is a sweet flying and you will get alot of looks at the field. Now if my wife would let buy one more, I will be happy, but, she has my checkbook and cards!!!

Have fun flying!!!

Sonny

superspec 03-23-2009 08:02 PM

Well Jet we must have the same wife, but mine let me buy anRV4 and an aeroworks 540. the RV will fly this weekend. The edge sat or sunday. I will be shopping for more batteries this week.

swixtt 03-25-2009 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: superspec

Well Jet we must have the same wife, but mine let me buy anRV4 and an aeroworks 540. the RV will fly this weekend. The edge sat or sunday. I will be shopping for more batteries this week.

An RV? as in the RV-4?

superspec 03-26-2009 07:21 AM

Yes RV-4

swixtt 03-26-2009 01:00 PM

ORIGINAL: superspec

Yes RV-4
do you have any pics of it? not the thread for it i suppose but i'd like to see this.

jet22b 03-30-2009 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All;

Well yesterday was a bad day for my Texan.[:o] On the first flight of the day, the airpalne was flying great and looking go in the blue sky. Running low on fuel, it was time to bring her in. Gear and flaps down, speed just right, looking for a smooth touch down, when, ( look at the pictures!! ). The landing just snap!! These are the gear that came with the kit. I am still waititng on my Robarts gear to come in and now I just order the AT-6 wings from Tower. Please everyone keep a eye on the landing gear housing. Anyone else who had this happen, please post. The AT-6 will be back in the air soon. I love this bird!!!
Now maybe the wife will let me buy a backup kit!!!

Have a good week everyone!!

Sonny

superspec 03-30-2009 03:53 PM

Well Jet, Last saturday it was just a little breezy. I asked my son if he was okay to fly. the flight was good and the landing was very smooth, then he slid off the runway and the left retract failed. Scraped the wing tip a little but thats all. the retract looks like yours. Robart HD908 went in sat night. Might fly again this week. the Texan is a blast to watch and fly.

Superspec

jet22b 03-30-2009 04:37 PM

Hi Superspec;

The only bad thing, all the club members, ( 19 of them,) was at the field and I was the only plane in the air. The walk of Shame, we call it at my club. Like you and your son, this plane is a joy to fly.

Have fun!!

Sonny

TeamMuir1 03-30-2009 07:45 PM

Hi everyone....
The original retracts are a joke. I have flown my buddies AT-6 now 4 times... and on the second time the right retract cracked.
Lucky it did not damage anything else.
the third flight was very interesting. Flight was great gear retracted...Up.. but then the RIGHT GEAR AGAIN... failed to deploy...
My choice was to lift the left gear and belly land her...
I did just that.... now with scratches on the bottom (Wear effect ) lol....
it has not been back up since.... Robart or Siera or Century Jet Model retracts are in order for this bird.
Since we live here in Louisville might opt out for the Century Jet Models......
The stock gear.. there just junk.. I tell everyone that buys an ARF with stock retracts your buying the plane
not the Landing gear. lol.

maddieone 04-03-2009 08:22 AM

Sonny,

Look on the bright side, at least the wire did not bend :D. Seriously, once again it appears that Top Flite has produced trash and is selling it to the general public. We should not have to buy after market replacement parts so that the plane is viable. Once again I am very disapointed in this bird am going to take all of the gear out of it, set it in the rafters and buy me a Seagull or Hanger 9 something. Wish there was some way that we all could get recompense from the company.

jet22b 04-03-2009 11:05 AM

Curt;

Back in the days, I flew alot of Top Flite Airpalnes and was happy with them, but, with the AT-6 Texan and the poor landing gears that come wit the ARF, is a slap in my face. Paying $279.00 for a plane that come bad landing gear is a shame. I know people will say, you get what you paid for, but, why did the company work out a deal with Robart to supply the gears for the ARF?? Every post that I have read on the Top Flite AT-6 Texan, the gear have fail. I do like the way the plane flys and look, but, to come in for a sweet landing and watch the gear fail, is not good. Oh well, the new set of wings came in yesterday, ( at $129.00 a set ), and the Robart gear is due in next week. I just hope the wife don't see the repair bill. I will be in the dog house again!! lol

Have a great flying weekend, Curt, and everyone!!!

Sonny

cstevenpeterson 04-03-2009 11:07 AM

Hi Sonny,

Exactly which Robart gear are you installing? Will mods to the wing be required?

Steve

jet22b 04-03-2009 12:22 PM

Hi Steve;

Here is the Robart Gear I will be installing on my AT-6 Texan. ( see link below ).
http://www.robart.com/retracts/5-10lbspecial.aspx

I will post pictures of what I had to do to make them fit. I have found a spot for the air tank and I will post a picture tonight of the spot.

Sonny

cstevenpeterson 04-03-2009 01:13 PM

Hi Sonny,

Thanks.

Century Jet makes a nice set of retracts with oleos for the TF kit - they are a bit pricey though. The ones you are buying from Robart are also for the TF kit. I'm interested to see how close they come to fitting in right out of the box.

Steve

maddieone 04-03-2009 07:08 PM

ORIGINAL: jet22b

Curt;

Back in the days, I flew alot of Top Flite Airpalnes and was happy with them, but, with the AT-6 Texan and the poor landing gears that come wit the ARF, is a slap in my face. Paying $279.00 for a plane that come bad landing gear is a shame. I know people will say, you get what you paid for, but, why did the company work out a deal with Robart to supply the gears for the ARF?? Every post that I have read on the Top Flite AT-6 Texan, the gear have fail. I do like the way the plane flys and look, but, to come in for a sweet landing and watch the gear fail, is not good. Oh well, the new set of wings came in yesterday, ( at $129.00 a set ), and the Robart gear is due in next week. I just hope the wife don't see the repair bill. I will be in the dog house again!! lol

Have a great flying weekend, Curt, and everyone!!!

Sonny
Sonny,

The price that we all paid for this kit is not "GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR" category. I have bounced my H9 P51 like a basket ball and the most damage I had was a bent wire and that I was able to straighten out. The P51 cost $265.00 and the covering job was 100% better than this AT6. Far as I am concerned it is a peice of junk and Top Flite should be ashamed of what they have passed onto the general public. Must be right up there with the AIG mentality. Just wish I knew how to get this thread to someone who cares at Top Flite.

Curt

jet22b 04-03-2009 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone;

Here are a few pictures of where the air tank for the Robart Gear will be.
Now for the gear to showup so I can go to work!!!

Sonny

cstevenpeterson 04-04-2009 06:04 AM

Thanks for the photos Sonny. Looks like it was designed for the tank. Anxious to see how the gear fits.

Steve

cfossa 04-06-2009 08:02 PM

Hi Guys,

I ordered an OS FS 91II for this plane that should arrive this week. Can't wait to start the assembly. I'm thinking now that I'd better skip the stock gear and put in something better. I fly off a grass field so I'm concerned the stock retracts may not stand up.

Carl

jet22b 04-06-2009 08:52 PM

Hello Carl;

You will love the Os FS 91!! Lots of power. Yes, Skip the stock gear. I also fly off of a grass field. If you can, get you a set of Robart 618 landing gear. They are made for the AT-6 Texan. I hope my set of 618 come in this week so I can post pictures of how much work you have to do to make them fit. You will love this bird as we all do, but the stock landing has sideline alot of these planes. If you need help or have any question, please feel free to post and we will help!!
Have a great build!!!

Sonny

Mikecam 04-06-2009 09:38 PM

I was very interested in the Texan till I came across this thread and the retract problems. I have emailed topflite and hope to have something positive to post on there reply. I have the 1/7 TF P51 and after building up the retract rails have had no problems. I'm hoping TF comes thru and addresses the problems with the retracts in the texan. I won't add negative posts to this thread but WILL be letting my voice be heard to TF with my wallet.

jet22b 04-06-2009 09:53 PM

Mikecam;

Just point Top Flite to this thread so they read for them-self!!

Sonny

maddieone 04-07-2009 08:06 AM

Mikecam,

If they reply to your Email as they did to mine in regards to the bad cover jobs on these planes, it won't amount to a hill of beans.

Curt

P.S. When it comes to my money, I can be very negative.

superspec 04-07-2009 09:59 AM

The Texan flew yesterday. Replaced the stock retracts with Robart 608HD. All the landings were greased so no problems so far.