Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

RADIO HELP NEEDED! HOW MANY CHANNELS?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

RADIO HELP NEEDED! HOW MANY CHANNELS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 04:06 PM
cybertech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RADIO HELP NEEDED! HOW MANY CHANNELS?

I am looking at getting a radio I can use for a bunch of different planes and helicopters. I was wondering how many channels I should get. I don't have any of the aircraft yet but I would like a good radio to cover them all.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:12 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: RADIO HELP NEEDED! HOW MANY CHANNELS?

I don't have a plane that uses over six, but my helicopter eats up eight. It really depends on what gadgets you want a helicopter to have. I'd recommend asking that in the helicopter beginner's forum.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of basic rules when shopping for a radio/transmitter/Tx:

1) Get the radio with the most functions and expandability (model memory) that you can afford and get away with

2) If your new; make sure the radio you get is compatable with your instructors buddy box or get your own buddy box with the radio.

3) If your new; concider used equipment untill you are trained and become more familiar with what your needs actually are.

4) Concider 2.4 GHz systems now as converting later will be painful.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:30 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Hang onto your money untill this 2.4 ghz thing gets more established in the next year or so. I don't know if you know how to fly yet but buying a big fancy radio in the front end that you have no idea how to operate seems like jumping the gun to me. You need to walk before you can run. Throwing a bunch of money at this hobby will not speed up the learning process, it will just confuse the situation and make it worse.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:47 PM
cybertech

I just wanted something I can use on a few models. Would there ever really be a reason to have over 8 channels? i will be probably get a 2.4GHz radio.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: cybertech

I just wanted something I can use on a few models. Would there ever really be a reason to have over 8 channels? i will be probably get a 2.4GHz radio.
Hmm... Maybe Just have to see where the hobby takes you.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:03 PM
dmanson
My Feedback: (1)

It's not just about the number of channels. An important consideration is the functionality/programability of the radio. The latter tends to increase as the number of channels goes up. You may want features that are only available on radios with more channels than you really need.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:07 PM
bruce88123

If you get into jets or intricate scale planes you can easily exceed 8 channels. Both of these are down the road a ways.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:17 PM
cybertech

I will defintely get a radio I can program to many planes. I woudl liek to use it on helicopters and planes. So far it seems like 8 should be the way to go. I don't really care about the price as long as I like it and can justify it.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Flying freak

ORIGINAL: cybertech

I will defintely get a radio I can program to many planes. I woudl liek to use it on helicopters and planes. So far it seems like 8 should be the way to go. I don't really care about the price as long as I like it and can justify it.

If you want somthing in the 8 channel range that does airplane and heli i would suggest taking a look at the 9303 from jr..
Old 04-12-2007, 08:08 PM
cybertech

Do you think 8 channels would be enough for general purpose?
Old 04-12-2007, 08:14 PM
MikeL

As has been said, most people don't use 8+ channels. Most people never use 7. People buy the radios with more channels not so much for the channels, but for the additional features and memories.

Only you can assess your needs. Think of the projects you want to work on, and count up the number of channels you need along with the features that will be required. It's not much work, won't take long, and will give you the answers you need.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:23 PM
cybertech

What all features is there to look for. I know you can have memory for the different aircraft, but what else should I be looking for?
Old 04-12-2007, 08:33 PM
pumbadog

I have a 6 channel radio right now and I've been wishing I'd have gone bigger. You wont need a lot of seperate channels, in my case I need to mix a couple of channels. I have two aircraft with 4 servo wings and one has retracts on top of that. It would be easier if I didn't have to mess with y-harnesses and in line servo reversers. I could be wrong, but 9 channels would probably do everything you ever needed. Like it's been said, depends on how deep you get into the hobby.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:44 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

Amount of model memory.
Number of available mixes.
Types of mixes.

Remember all of the 4+ channel radios have the basic functions. Flaperons spoilerons, ect are a mix
to the aileron function. You need a radio with more channels and available mixes to operate these

Flaps Retracts, bomb drops. are a completely seperate channel with seperate servos. Again set to a switch
More channels needed.

There is alot more to todays computer radios than just the 4 basic channels. take my Friends pattern plane for example
when he pulls vertical he hits a switch which adds right rudder as a direct result to adding throttle. this helps keep the plane
from veering off line . Again this is a mix using two of the basic funtions programmed together.

I don't know waht type of aircraft you see yourself flying in the future. I picked pattern flying as my type so I need a good radio
with quite a few open mixes. but I can't see ever needing more than a 9 channel radio for myself.

You also said you wanted the radio to do helicopters, Make sure the radio has this capability some models are only for airplanes
and some only helicopters.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:50 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Your asking about equipment that that you really are not anywhere close to needing. Get one of those package trainer deals like an Alpha and learn how to fly. As your knowledge of the hobby increases these questions will answer themselves. You have a very steep learning curve ahead of you which if you are lucky, you may figure out how to fly a trainer by the end of the summer if you start now. Go join your local club, find somebody to train you and buy what they recommend as a first plane combo. If it survives, you can sell it to somebody else and move up. Helicopter's are a long way off and I'd worry about them after you have figured out how to fly the left stick as well as the right. This RC thing takes years of hard work to get any good at, and who knows you may quit after you splatter your first plane.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:49 PM
agexpert

If you want something before the end of May, I think the DX-7 is it. I don't think anything else is actually available yet.....wait, I think Futaba is shipping a new system now....I don't know anymore. It's all happening very quickly.

You will use six channels for anything with a split elevator. If it has retracts, more. Plan on upgrading your radio every few years. They get old and, although they still work just fine, you will want a new one every so often; especially with the newer technology improvements coming so quickly.

You will want at least a 10 model memory, most systems have at least 10, some have 30, some 99....

You will need dual elevator programming, dual aileron functionality, switch assignability, flaperon function and a few other mixes....pretty standard stuff on most modern systems.

Good Luck!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 10:00 PM
MikeL

ORIGINAL: agexpert

You will need dual elevator programming, dual aileron functionality, switch assignability, flaperon function and a few other mixes....pretty standard stuff on most modern systems.
You're painting with too broad of a brush there. Plenty of modern systems don't have all of that functionality--most, I'd say.

It's better to speak about specific systems that you have specific knowledge about.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:02 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

The Futaba 14Mz should be an ideal beginner's radio for you. It's expandable to 2.4Ghz spread spectrum technology when you will need it, but it will work fine with 72Mhz FM and Futaba PCM receivers now:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNYA0&P=ML

While the initial purchase price may seem high, you can save an extra $30 right now at Tower Hobbies by using coupon code 010VV. This radio will be able to fly your first trainer just fine, and also operate the 46% TOC Ultimate Biplane you're probably going to purchase after you solo later this spring.

Don't chicken out and settle for an 8 or 9 channel computer radio for now just to save a couple of grand, invest in some quality equipment that will allow you to grow!
Old 04-13-2007, 12:06 AM
agexpert

I love sarcasm.

The truth from my experience is this; I have been through 3 radios. I soloed 16 months ago. I started with an airtronics 6ch, moved to a 9303 and then a 10x as I progressed. I have made a point of flying with people who are better than I am. (Not hard to do for me). I changed radios as I needed more features. The 10X can do very little that the 9303 is not capable of, BUT...the people who KNOW how to do pro-class setup have pro-class radios. I bought a used one so I could benefit from their experience.

It's simple really. You can progress very quickly in the hobby or you can take your time. It's up to you. My second transmitter has a cumulative timer. I have well over 200 hours on that radio and I bought it last summer. The features I described are all features I have needed within the last twelve months.

I am now flying only the 10X...even for foam. It was too hard to get all the stuff needed for gas, glow and foam into the truck with an extra TX case to carry. I have taken 2 gas airplanes (one 50cc and one 100cc), one glow (ST .90), one foamie (Charger CR-1), all of the needed gear, two TX's, clothes/toiletries, my laptop and all of my work papers on a 3-day work/flying trip 260 miles away. I drive a Nissan pickup...a small one...with no shell and no trailer. I will never do that again....what a hassle.

I can say from experience what I have needed. I'm sorry if that was inapropriate for the beginner's forum. I still consider myself a beginner. I probably will for a long time to come. I know what I have been through and I am only trying to be helpful.

Expensive radios, airplanes, engines, servos and associated gear are expensive for a reason. (Although, for a couple thousand dollars, I think the 14MZ should have an espresso machine in it, or at least a cup-holder. But that's just me).
Old 04-13-2007, 02:27 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

It doesn't have a cupholder built in, but you can upload digital photos of your models to diplay while you're selecting what you want to fly. It also plays .mp3 music files back through the radio and can save up to a dozen voice affirmations associated with various functions like "retracts up" and "retracts down." That's fairly unique.

By the way, it's good to know at least one reader here appreciates a little sarcasm.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:48 PM
agexpert

You know, I must add this for the original poster.

I am in a GREAT mood since I spent the end of the day flying with the people who have helped me along in the hobby...and one AWESOME 3D heli guy.

To the OP:

This hobby can take you almost anywhere. Only YOU know YOU. Get a radio that will work for what you THINK you want to do for the next 12 months. If it's the wrong choice, get another one.

I am still a beginner. I fly nearly every single day and I am really not that good at what I want to be good at, (rolling harriers), but I will get there someday....AND THAT IS ONLY ON FOAM!! I have YEARS before I will attempt low rollers with a REAL airplane. It really takes a long time, hundreds of hours and, let's face it,...Thousands of dollars to do what we all want to do.

Your radio is like a Saddle, an easy-chair, a mattress or a car. It's something you must be comfortable with in order to enjoy completely. Everything is expensive. Know your priorities and live by them, but if this is one of them, it won't really matter what radio you buy. You will fly anyway....all of us do.

Good Luck!!
Old 04-13-2007, 11:58 PM
cybertech

I don't care about the price as long as I like it ans it suits what I am looking for.