RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   Midwest Extra 300xs Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/3394261-midwest-extra-300xs-build.html)

Digger44 09-26-2005 06:41 AM

Midwest Extra 300xs Build

I purchased the Midwest extra 300xs kit and have been trying to find a good build thread for this plane. I should receive and start the build in the next two weeks. There are a few threads on this plane here on RCU but not really a build start/finish, just general info. If anyone knows of a good off site/on site thread I would appreciate the info.
Thanks
Bob

ckangaroo70 09-26-2005 07:24 AM

RE: Midwest Extra 300xs Build

If you start your own build thread................people will come.

Digger44 09-27-2005 08:39 AM

Didn't have any luck finding a build thread so I guess I'll do one. The kit is scheduled to be here today according to UPS tracking. I have already purchased a used Brison 3.2 w/electronic ignition. This will be my First gas plane. I will post pics along the way and I should get started winthin the next week or so. Anybody that has any suggestions/mods for this plane don't hesitate to post. I have built one kit (GP EXTRA 300s 40) but this one will be more of a chalange I am sure. Wish me luck.
Bob

Digger44 09-27-2005 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The EXTRA kit arrived today as expected. Well packed and looks like good documentation. WOW! this is a ton of bulsa!! The hardware in this kit is a little lacking as you can see in the pics below.

Digger44 09-27-2005 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More of the hardware.

red head 09-27-2005 05:02 PM

Looks like enough hardware to me for a KIT. It's a great flying plane when done. ENJOY !!! RED

ckangaroo70 09-27-2005 05:03 PM

I have built the GP Extra 300 .40 as well, and if the Midwest goes together as good as the Great Planes kit, then you won't have any problems at all. Good Luck.

Digger44 09-27-2005 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pics of a few other things I picked up for this kit, including the Brison.

Sukhoi_Madness 09-28-2005 05:16 AM

Awesome!!!

I think this is going to be a pretty PHAT!!! build post... A little different to the 4 Star series of threads happening at the moment... (Not that they are not awesome too)

Seeing that phat Gasser sitting there has hooked me... Can't wait to read through this thread...

Is this your first kit build? Being in the beginners thread, saying wow heaps of Balsa (for a 27% Airplane) and you comment about the Hardware makes me think it could be your first kit build... (The hardware is about right for a kit)

If so...

Ask heaps of questions...

Have fun...

Matt

Digger44 09-28-2005 06:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This will actually be my second build, and yes, this is a lot of balsa.[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3025656/anchors_3025656/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3025656]The first is here[/link] Maybe I should have been more clear with my statement on the hardware. There is plenty, however I was thinking with a 27% plane that the hardware like the clevises, horns, and tail gear would be better quality. The kit specs didn't really say what hardware was in the kit. I am replacing the tail gear with a Sullivan or maybe another if I can find one better. I would really like to go with Top of the line hardware but I don't know exactly which manufacturer's are the best.

For example I was looking at the carbon fiber push-rods and ball joints from Central hobbies for all control surfaces. There may be another Mfg that is better quality and the cost is relevant.

I am planning on taking my time and enjoying this build. I found on the last one that I enjoy this part of the hobby as much if not more than actual flying. Well maybe not :D

red head 09-28-2005 02:58 PM

Digger ___ you may want to take a second look at those Ultra Lite tires!!! I don't care for them on a 9 lb plane and the 300 is 14 +. With the gasser it may be closer to 17 lb. I have a Moki 1.8 on mine but it's a 300 not the XS. I think you will enjoy the build and I'm sure you'll enjoy the way it flies. ENJOY !!! RED

Digger44 09-28-2005 05:55 PM

Good point red_head. I hadn't thought of that. Probably too busy considering surface hardware. I have another spare set I think, better check.

Digger44 09-28-2005 07:23 PM

I inventoried the kit today and all parts are accounted for and in good shape excluding the canopy. Looks like it was pressed with two quarter sized notches in the top right side, not broken, just dents. I will be requesting a replacement. Would have posted a pic, but the dings don't show very well in the picture.

I will be separating the parts tomorrow and maybe get started with the airfoil stab, depends on the honey do's. Will post some pics then. Almost forgot, I need to clean the shop (what a mess) to make room. I hate working in a clutter. Especially on a new project.

EXCAP232 09-29-2005 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Digger44,
This will be more than a few steps from a 0.40 size plane. It certainly is a worthwhile project and I like to see building happening. Your engine choice will be a good one for the plane. I had one with a Quadra 52 on ignition. The changes in the "tail feathers" is a good upgrade as the flat stabs had problems if not really braced. The hardware is sorely lacking. I would use it later for planes up to 0.60 or maybe 0.90 glow. Use Hangar-9 or Nelson or equal hardware (formerly Rocket City). All 4-40 linkages, giant scale servos and the like will be necessary. Attaching a photo of mine.
EXCAP232

Digger44 09-29-2005 07:59 PM

EXCAP232, That sure is a nice looking plane you have there. I hope mine will turn out That nice.

I agree, this is a big step up from .40. In one of my previous post I mentioned the GP Extra 300s 40. I didn't mean that was all I had. That was the first one I built from a kit. I was pretty fortunate about 6 months ago and picked up a whole fleet of aircraft from a friend getting out of the hobby. Katana 1.40, Funtana 90, 60 Extra World model(I think),to name a few. Prior to getting these I already owned an Arrow(my trainer), 60 Ugly stick, 90 Dioblotin, H9 Pizazz and the GP 40 Extra. I havn't flown all of the aircraft in the hanger yet as some of it is in need of repair, mostly minor stuff.. Lately I have been flying the Funtana,Pizazz,and the Stick. Just not enough time to fly and repair all of it and enjoy building as well. Some of the planes I have will be great to repair and fly when one of my current favorites expires, and you know they will;).

I agree that the hardware is lacking! I planned on using the hinges, wheel axles and landing gear, probably nothing else.

Digger44 09-29-2005 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I started building the left horizontal Stab/Elevator today. Didn't get finished with it but a good start indeed. This section is built in one piece as both the stab and elevator and the cut when close to completion, after the sheeting has been done. The ribs in these pictures are set with the guage that tilts them slightly towards the tip of the stab.

Digger44 09-29-2005 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These pics show the leading edge, top spars, and some of the sheeting. All of the overhang will be trimmed off later when the bottom side is sheeted.

Digger44 09-29-2005 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This one is the stab with all sheeting on the top side and the rib cap strips installed. The upper left and the lower bottom cap strips are left off until later.

By the way, I heard that the Georgia Jets are hosting some sort of National Competition or maybe just a fly-in, I'm not really sure. This weekend starting today through Sunday. I am going tomorrow and hopefully get a few photos. [8D]

Digger44 10-01-2005 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just thought I'd post a picture of a the 40% YAK that was at the GA Jets Flyin Friday. Thought yall might enjoy.

Digger44 10-01-2005 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The same German Pilot that flew the Yak also had a jet that hovered, and I don't mean a Harrier jet. He had it hovering at 30 feet above the runway. It had some type of vector control turbine in the tail.

Digger44 10-01-2005 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finished sheeting the top an bottom of the stab/elev and trimmed all overhangs off with the razor saw. After a little sanding on the ends to flush everything up, I cut the elevator of of the stab between the trailing edge sheeting of the stab and the leading edge sheeting of the elevator.

Digger44 10-01-2005 11:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After trimming and sanding flush all of the rib ends remaining in the elevator, I marked and cut the elevator counter balance opening in the stab.

Digger44 10-01-2005 11:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Then filled the cutout made for the counter balance in the stab. Next, I glued on the counter balance block to the elevator flush with the end and centered on the leading edge.

Digger44 10-02-2005 12:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The instructions called for using scrap 1/4" balsa hinge doubler blocks to be installed in the stab between the ribs. I changed this to 1/2" and also added the hinge doublers in the elevator. Then, using tightbond, I glued the trailing edge of the stab and the leading edge of the elevator in place and banded it up to cure overnight. FYI, what I am trying to do with this build is to use the tightbond where there is going to be considerable sanding. I am still using CA in other parts of the build because of the time factor.

Digger44 10-02-2005 12:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In this picture on the right, step 35, the horn block itself looked to me to be a little short. I plan on using a horn assembly that goes all the way through the the elevator, like the central hobbies one in post # 10. I would modify by using a 3/4" dowel flush with both surfaces and then drilling to accommodate whatever hardware is installed.
In this kit they call for a 6-32 post that is installed inside of the elevator, nothing exposed on the surface at all. I just think this might be asking for trouble if it ever loosens up, there will be no way of getting to it to re-tighten it without cutting into it. I may be wrong on this one? This might be the normal way of doing this?? What do you guys think?

Digger44 10-03-2005 04:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After the leading and trailing edge pieces dried, I sanded them flush with top and bottom sheeting on both pieces. Tightbond really sands a lot better than CA.

Digger44 10-03-2005 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Next, I marked the centerline of the leading edge on the elevator for the bevel. Using a block plane and a sanding bar, trimed a taper from the the center line of the leading edge to the bottom edge of the leading edge piece. To get into the corners I used a hobby knife and just whittled it flush with the counter balance block.

Digger44 10-03-2005 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rounded the counter balance block tip roughly for now until I finish the other half of the stab. Also marked the elevator root cut lines in preparation for installing the horn block. Speaking of which, does anyone have an opinion on the horn block assembly I mentioned previously. I would appreciate any thoughts on the subject as I am not sure what is the best way to do this.

Digger44 10-04-2005 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Didn't get a lot done today, but I did get some. I cut the elevator root on the marks made previously. Since no one had any opinions on the horn block install, I decided that stronger is better, so I epoxied two pieces of 3/8" ply together to make a solid horn block that Will fit between the top and bottom sheeting in the elevator. I also had to cut the top and bottom leading edge spruce spars to install the horn block. This was a little tougher than I thought it would be because of the fragile balsa. Little bit of carving with a hobby knife and finished up with the dremell.

By the way, where is everyone? Does this look so bad that no one wants to comment ? Speak up please. I value the opinions here and hope that if I post enough detail and pics that some of the more experienced builders in this forum will chime in and prevent me from making that BIG Uh Oh!! That is why I posted in here.
Thanks
Bob

figment 10-04-2005 07:41 PM

Your building and questions are beyond my level of experience at this point, but I am watching intently. Looking very nice to me.

The experienced guys are to busy passing around the smart arse hat right now :D. Is that enough to get a hat of my own, hehehe[:-]. Hopefully, you will get your answers soon.

Keep up the good work and the build thread, I'll keep watching.

Patrick

jester125 10-05-2005 08:52 AM

Does this kit come with a cowl and wheel pants? If not where would you get them for this plane?

Thanks, Chris

red head 10-05-2005 02:16 PM

Digger : your doing great, we are just watching. If we see something real wrong you'll hear about it. Just pay close attention to your glue joints, make them as neat as you can.

Jester: yes it comes with cowl and pants. Plastic that I reinforced with glass just because I wanted to. If I'm not mistaken there is a sheet in the instructions telling where you can get fiberglass replacements if you want. Also I believe fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com has them, that might be the one on the sheet. Mine is one of the first kits and it's been a long time.

ENJOY !!!! RED

Digger44 10-05-2005 03:10 PM

Jester, the latest kit that I bought did not have the cowl or wheel pants. They did package some coupons for purchasing them. One of the coupons is for Fiberglass specialties as red head mentioned. $41 for the cowl ,$35 for the wheel pants.10% off for mentioning the coupon. Another one is Stans Fiber Tech.[link=http://www.stansfibertech.com/]STANS[/link] The price is almost identical, however I couldn't see the product on either site. You can also purchase the cowl and wheel pants from midwest, part#V-172 COWL, part#V-173 PANTS.

figment, You may have to try a little harder than that to get a hat to keep for your own.[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif] Thanks for the comments.

red head, it's good to know that at least there are people watching. Hopefully I won't make too many big mistakes but mistakes are inevitable. Thanks for watching.

Bob

Digger44 10-05-2005 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started today with the plywood horn blocks I glued up yesterday. After shaping the block to fit between the top and bottom sheeting of the elevator, I applied epoxy to the surfaces and clamped in the block. I cleaned up the excess epoxy and set aside to dry for a while.

Digger44 10-05-2005 07:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
While I was waiting for the horn block to dry, I started building the right side stab/elevator. After about an hours cure time on the horn block, I removed the clamp and cut and glued the 1/4" end pieces.

Digger44 10-05-2005 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This picture shows the progress on the right stab/elevator and the pieces glued to the end of the elev.

EXCAP232 10-05-2005 07:55 PM

Build job is coming along fine. Keep as much glue off the surfaces to be covered as possible. It will make the covering / finishing much easier and better looking.

EXCAP232

Digger44 10-05-2005 08:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After the glue dried on the end pieces, I shaved off the excess bulsa with a hobby knife and sanded all edges flush with the elevator surfaces.

Hopefully I will get a chance to do a little more tomorrow. I will continue working on the right side and will not post all the details as it is almost exactly the same as the left. I will pick back up where the process changes.

red head 10-06-2005 07:00 PM

Digger : Have you decided on a color scheme yet?? I hope you do one of your own and don't make a carbon copy of what's out there. Mine is simular but just just bit different until it gets to the colors. Mine is pink, white and purple, sounds bad but it is relly a nice looking plane and shows up in the air really great. Sorry I can't post pictures, I'm new at the computer and don't have all that extra stuff needed. Probably won't get it either, I'm more interested in trying some kind of electric ---- I think!!!! At my age I don't want to get toooo involved. ENJOY !!! RED

Digger44 10-06-2005 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
red head, I havn't decided what the covering scheme will be axactly, but I have decided that I want something different. I kind of like the colors on my STIK, Green/White ST.Patties with some different patterns. Havn't taken the time yet to try and lay it out on the plane. I hear electrics are getting pretty big now for reasonable cost as well. Good luck.
Bob