RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Beginners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/)
-   -   RC Ken and MinnFlyer have joined forces (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/beginners-85/7316610-rc-ken-minnflyer-have-joined-forces.html)

Gary L. 04-01-2008 07:22 PM

RE: RC Ken and MinnFlyer have joined forces

Nice work guys http://www.bassfishingworld.com/ecomotions/bows.gifhttp://www.bassfishingworld.com/ecomotions/cup.gif

seemefly_1 04-01-2008 07:27 PM

Hey Gary i havn't see a new update on your child. How is he doing?

seemefly_1 04-01-2008 07:29 PM

Oh sorry grandson.

rriche 04-01-2008 08:29 PM

excellent!!

housedad 04-01-2008 08:39 PM

Been reading the sight. love it. Will get my daughters reading it this weekend.

Found another link that went haywire. On the engine page, at the bottom ther is a sentence "We have a video of us starting an engine for the first time which is available here" and a link to videos. It is out.

Bion

MinnFlyer 04-01-2008 08:45 PM

Got it, thanks

Live Wire 04-01-2008 09:38 PM

Hey :D
For 2 Mod 's great job, You 2 contribute a lot to RCU. A great job Thank you and keep it up;)
The RC Outlaw
Larry K

fly boy2 04-01-2008 09:46 PM

Nice site ,look like a lot of work was put into it. It will help nebies like me.:D

ChuckW 04-02-2008 08:59 AM

This looks great. I've been involved in both building a web site and filming & editing instructional videos for my job and I can attest to the huge amount of work involved. I know you have said that you listed planes that you personally have experience with, which makes sense. I'd take a look at the World Models Sky-Raider Mach-1. It is very low cost, good quality and flys excellent. The semi-symetrical wing even makes it decent as an intermediate.

tIANci 04-02-2008 09:08 AM

RC Ken and Minn you both have done a great job here and with the new site its good for beginners and anyone who is keen to participate in the hobby to find answers. Now we can all just tell newbies ... "Just go there!" :)

MinnFlyer 04-02-2008 09:15 AM

ORIGINAL: tIANci

Now we can all just tell newbies ... "Just go there!" :)
Please do!

tIANci 04-02-2008 09:27 AM

Minn - you have done us a great favour, we need not explain so much to a newbie! Hehehehe ... I tried to go to the website, I can't load it. :( Trust that its a great website ... I am sure I can get in soon.

-pkh- 04-02-2008 09:27 AM

RC Ken and Minn you both have done a great job here and with the new site its good for beginners and anyone who is keen to participate in the hobby to find answers. Now we can all just tell newbies ... "Just go there!" :)
Yep, I put a link to your page on my club's website.

I'm also considering buying your videos for myself. I've been flying for a few years now, but never built a kit. I like the idea of being able to see some detailed kit building videos. Is everything working for the video purchase and download section of your site? It looks like a pretty good deal, and I'd be glad to help support you guys and your site.

RCKen 04-02-2008 09:34 AM

ORIGINAL: -pkh-
Yep, I put a link to your page on my club's website.

I'm also considering buying your videos for myself. I've been flying for a few years now, but never built a kit. I like the idea of being able to see some detailed kit building videos. Is everything working for the video purchase and download section of your site? It looks like a pretty good deal, and I'd be glad to help support you guys and your site.
You bet. That portion is up and ready for anyone needing it.

Ken

RCKen 04-02-2008 09:42 AM

Minn - you have done us a great favour, we need not explain so much to a newbie! Hehehehe ... I tried to go to the website, I can't load it. :( Trust that its a great website ... I am sure I can get in soon.
Try it now. You should be able to access it now

ken

tIANci 04-02-2008 10:11 AM

Ken - thanks! I like it, great start and I am sure it will hae more content soon. But I have one major complain ... where is the electric section???!!! Heheheehehehe .... just kidding ok! Am gonna put it up on a local forum to assist the newbies ...

n19htmare 04-02-2008 02:37 PM

Nice work.

Your Radio page http://www.gettingairborne.com/radios.html has a link to your Videos (not the button but rather the link at the VERY bottom of the page in the article). The link is mis-directed resulting in a 404 not found.
Simple mistake that all developers make including myself :).... you guessed it. you have "htm" instead of "html" in your hyperlink :)

I saw couple other mistakes (spelling) but I don't remember which page. But you'll be notified.

Fishin Geezer 04-02-2008 02:40 PM

I just bought my copy of the videos. Partly because I'll enjoy them and I'll benefit from them. And partly to help support their new venture. They've both helped me so much since I started the hobby six months ago that 25 bucks is the least I can do!!

I hope to download all 42 to my hard drive but it looks like a long process and takes a lot of disc space. Took 7 or 8 minutes on my high speed cable service to get the engine starting video. Mike or Ken, is there any way to speed up the process?

Thanks for all the help,

Frank

MinnFlyer 04-02-2008 02:49 PM

I'm afraid not. The video files are HUGE, but that's because they are:

640 X 480 (Nice and big), plus they are pretty long - many in the 8-9 minute range.

Also we made the file sizes as small as we could without degrading the image quality.

So it was a trade off - do we make small crappy files that are easy to download, or quality videos that will take a while?

We kept the quality.

MinnFlyer 04-02-2008 02:52 PM

And thank you for your support :D

n19htmare 04-02-2008 03:04 PM

I'm not exactly sure how much time you guys have on your hand but your other option maybe to put the files on a DVD and distribute it that way. Charge a little extra for shipping and material to cover cost.

I'm sure there are people interested in the videos but just don't have the bandwidth to get them :)

MinnFlyer 04-02-2008 03:38 PM

That was actually the original plan, but neither of us wanted to get tied up in buying, burning, and mailing CD's

If we get enough requests, we may do it, but we're trying to avoid it.

ChuckW 04-02-2008 07:23 PM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

That was actually the original plan, but neither of us wanted to get tied up in buying, burning, and mailing CD's

If we get enough requests, we may do it, but we're trying to avoid it.
We did this for a while at my old job and it was a big pain. We finally had a an outside company do all the duplicating, labeling and packaging. Their cost was very competitive with us doing it in-house and it freed us up for other stuff. We also didn't have to invest in equipment. All we handled was the shipping and it was much easier.

n19htmare 04-02-2008 10:16 PM

How long does it take to get the password? I got one of the packages this afternoon....nada yet.

MinnFlyer 04-02-2008 10:25 PM

ORIGINAL: n19htmare

How long does it take to get the password? I got one of the packages this afternoon....nada yet.
Not sure, that's Ken's department. But it should have been damn near immediately.