Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

The CEN on-road thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Frank88888888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The CEN on-road thread

i looked at this one http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3&I=LXCJZ6&P=K but it didnt impress me as much as the other two engines
Old 10-03-2005, 11:06 PM
rolland

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you going to be class racing with roar rules?
If not I would go with the OS 18, it will be a direct bolt in.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGGP7&P=7

If you are, you should ask about motor recomendations in the on road forum.

rolland
Old 10-04-2005, 08:59 AM
Scouser

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Like rolland says, if you are going to race this officially then you will need a .12 engine. If this is a car park racer then the .18cvrx is definitely the way to go! May need some heavy duty gears for your diffs though!
Old 10-04-2005, 10:46 AM
poor judgement

man, an os18cvr-x in a tr4 is gonna be very quick. diffs might be worth a shot like scouser says, but then again the wheels offer such little resistance they may well be fine.

very sticky tyres will definately be required tho. porbably worth going up a size or 2 on the pinions too - should make it a bit easier to control the power.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Scouser

Maybe a high torque servo for both steering and perhaps more importantly, the brakes!! A failsafe is also pretty high on the list of requirements, you dont want to hit anything or anyone at 60mph.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:39 PM
streak8838

Sup guys just joining this thread i own a ct4-s my favorite car 4-tec my second favortie and a fusion great car but everyone expects it to be awesome but when they see the 4-tec or ct4s they are shocked, like the ct4s great car and awesome price rolland i have seen you in some other threads my ct4s and fusion have the same upgrades almost all the way out i opted for the acceleration in both sets and my ct4s wins my 4 tec beats my fusion and also handles the best that was odd for me since i heard the 4tec sucks i guess i just dialed it in awesome my ct4s is by far my best drag car it handles comparable to the fusion both handle the same and great my ct4s i am running the tmaxx 2.5r motor used to have a wasp .28 in it but the tmaxx motor is actually faster, how i do not know i guess maybe the 50,000 rpms it claims which i doubt but it might since it is so fast. buddy of mine had that motor in his 4tec and it hauled and when i asked what motor he had i laughed but i had to buy one to see if it was fluke and for 130 i couldn't go wrong i needed a motor to test my nx express kit on the way not here yet so i will post the results of that later but yeah maybe a motor suggestion for the tr4 earlier only thing is take time to break it in and check it everytime you use it like other motors and plus after that motor is broke in upgrade the head i rec mutant but and larger head will do but do this only after you break the motor in or else the motor will not get hot enough to break in. i will post some pics of my cars soon
Old 10-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Scouser

It would also be cool if you posted some vids of the nx kit in action! That has got to be a pretty big space you have got to run in over there!
Old 10-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Frank88888888

No i probably will never race roar im moreless a basher who races other bashers, yes i do have a fail safe trust me ive learned my leson, im really likeing the os enginne i metioned earlier more and more everytime i look at the two on the web also soon i will get one of these http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHUH5&P=K so i can know what the real top speed of my car is.I really dont
get the whole spur, gear, dif thing it would be nice if someone gives a simple explanation of which to get. O yea im also planing on getting some foam tires, btw will i really need brakes that badly? i barely use them right now the streets i drive in are pretty long and if any cars come i just drive it into the grass/dirt or in someones driveway.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Frank88888888

BTW i recently found this http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...ttle&search=Go on tower and i wasnt shur if they work some are even made by ofna a pretty good brand just wanted to know if it really helps or works
Old 10-04-2005, 11:08 PM
rolland

The TR4 uses the same diffs and spurs as the Fun Factors so I wouldn't be to concerned about trying to upgrade them. If the diffs become a problem you can upgrade to the machined cross shaft FFS027. You should also be able to use the machined diff gears.

Yes brakes are important and on something that fast I highly recomend the metal brake disk GX38 and the metal brake plug.

The TR4 uses a slide carb so you will need the OS with the slide carb http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGGP6&P=ML

rolland
Old 10-05-2005, 08:17 PM
streak8838

yeah the space we have to run in is about 1/2 a mile long and prob 1/3 mile wide i can hit top speed though in only 156 feet so i can do it just about anywhere the tests they did with the nx kit were on a tmaxx can't remember and it added 8 to 10 mphs on a truck but i can't wait to see what it will do on my ct4 need to rig a micro servo to my third channel for the on off to the nitrous becuase it has a full throttle switch prob be about a month though before anything happens because the spectrum dx3 is a piece of crap so far the third time i sent it in, it started to glitch on me and i smashed my first ct4 into a wall oh yeah if you are going to upgrade the ct4s just get the ct4r kit saves you like 350 dollars if you add all the upgrades individually the clucth on the ct4r is 105 by itself. but i will have some pics up real soon and i will label everything i did to my car only about 4 months into the hobby and probably further along in knowledge than everyone at my hobby shop i seriously have to even use their computer to find the right parts lol.,, yeah a lot of tricks with my ct4 that i can show with the pics plus you have to see my crashed one it looks like a taco now lol.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:52 PM
Frank88888888

yea the engine i was lookin at has slide carb also so u really dont think i need new difs?
Old 10-06-2005, 10:57 PM
rolland

I would re-shim the diffs and run it until there is a problem. The diffs in my MT2 which uses the same parts are holding up fine with an OS .18 and all I did to them was added the machined cross shaft and re-shimmed them.
The TR4 uses the same two speed spurs as the MT2 and I have had no problem with them either.

While you have it apart to shim the rear you might want to put new gears in it. They are not that expensive and it could possibly limit a headache later on. Other than the hardened cross shaft I don't think there really is another option besides the stock replacement gears.

rolland
Old 10-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Frank88888888

i know this is going to sound stupid but what does re-shim mean? also im not shur about the gearing more teeth the better right?
Old 10-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Scouser

Reshimming means that you eliminate any play in the diff gears with washers. Normal usage results in wear in the diffs as the gears 'settle' and then eventually start to grind away the diff casing. When you reshim your diffs, you are basicallly resetting them and stopping any movement that would occur when the engine starts putting power through the drivetrain.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Frank88888888

ORIGINAL: Scouser

Reshimming means that you eliminate any play in the diff gears with washers. Normal usage results in wear in the diffs as the gears 'settle' and then eventually start to grind away the diff casing. When you reshim your diffs, you are basicallly resetting them and stopping any movement that would occur when the engine starts putting power through the drivetrain.
thnx for clearing that up. And btw i finaly got my car runin again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: Dmy lhs finaly got the part in and i was able to put it pretty smothly except for a lil problem with the throtole linkage it was easy to start as always and it sounds mean with my new exhaust [>:] i really wasnt able to race it because its nightime but im gona race it tomorow morning hopefully all goes well.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:31 PM
rolland

Outstanding, let us know how it goes.

rolland
Old 10-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Frank88888888

lol i think i rather not tell you how it went but since you asked at first i had to break it in again i noticed while i was breaking it in that it was accelerating by it self i would eventually finish the breaking in proces after a few setbacks then i went runin outside to start driving it i got it out there started it up and drove for about a quarter of a tank then it started accelerating by itself again but this time while i was driving so i stoped it before i crashed when i brought it in and i started looking for a problem i noticed i had left the manifold gasket half in and half out i fixed it but by that time it was nightime now today i went to go start it thinking it would work perfectly(I WISH) it doesnt even start now.......ive checked everything and nothin you guys have any idea what it could be its sounds like its not getting the gas into the engine if you guys have any idea what it could be plz tell me
Old 10-09-2005, 09:53 PM
rolland

Have you tried giving it some throttle when you are trying to start it? You might have to re set the carb to factory specs and go from there. You also might want to check the fuel lines and the exhaust coupler on the pipe to make sure the pressure line is doing its job.

rolland
Old 10-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Frank88888888

Ok the tubing is pretty new but it might be the coupler i guess i also read something about the tubing that goes to the exhaust having to be a lil bigger diameter heard anything about that? i also reseted the carb like one million times. Im starting to think of another gas tank i have a duratrax tank i could probably use but it has no primer what would i do to prime it?
Old 10-10-2005, 07:26 PM
rolland

The fuel and the pressure lines should be the same diameter.

What I do to prime the tank is, I pinch off the line going to the pipe and flip the cap until I get fuel to the carb. I rarely over-prime my car by doing this but I have to pull on the pull cord more. I'd rather pull on the cord than have to clear a flooded engine.
Some people take the fuel line off of the pipe and blow into it.
Ofna makes a fuel filter with a primer bulb built into it.

rolland
Old 10-11-2005, 11:16 AM
poor judgement

nice one rolland - never thought to flip the lid... ive been wiping my lips for years... phut, phut... eugh!
Old 10-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Frank88888888

yup i fixed the fuel lines put brand new ones i had i shortend them a little but when i tried to start the same happend. also the carb gets fuel to start off with and it actually burns some when i pull the pull start but it doesnt even try to continue burning thats why i think it might be the pressure that doesnt keep giving fuel to the engine once it starts burning.hopfully il figure out whats wrong with it today [&o] if not im going to have to take a trip to my lhs again.............hopefully it wont take 4 weeks this time[]
Old 10-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Scouser

Frank, does the fuel actually retreat back down the fuel tubing into the tank or does it just sit in the tubing and not move?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:47 AM
Frank88888888

it sucks it back in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.