Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Ebay = high priced?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 10:32 PM
Sincraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay = high priced?

I was on ebay recently looking for any 'deals', and started to notice several things I have looked at on various mainstream websites for sale. The prices were only a few dollars cheaper than what you could buy direct from the proper distributors AND they were USED! Why are people paying these prices for used products, and NO recourse if something goes wrong or isn't what it should be??? IE $100 new on distri website, ebay selling it for 87 USED with 17 hours left. ????

S
Old 09-20-2003, 07:39 AM
Steve Campbell2

Default RE: Ebay = high priced?

The problem is a bunch of people with nothing else to do and money to burn.

I recently began perusing e-Bay for the first time, since I'm looking for something that is long out of production. It is simply amazing what some folks will pay.

I have come to the conclusion that I have no use for auctions. Got too many other things to do more pressing that keep an eye on a time deadline where I have to be in front of my computer; because if you really want something, and people are bidding on it, the only way to win it is by being a better "sniper"- and some of those folks are pros, it would seem.

I prefer the old-fashioned way of doing business. Unfortunately, it seems that most folks who have this item of my desire are putting them on e-Bay. So I'm dealing with the BS involved in auctions, but my heart is not in it. I don't want the thing bad enough to pay twice or three times what it is worth.

A buddy of mine, who does this big time, said it appears that a lot of these "power bidders" do it for the thrill of winning, and nothing less. He thinks that because he often sees the same items re-posted for auction soon after they are won. What dweebs; get a life. Or a motorcycle; there's a "thrill" for you...

Steve
Old 09-20-2003, 07:51 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Where's the problem? From the sellers standpoint it's great. If something is no longer in production than the market will dictate the price and you can find things that would possibly not be available otherwise. If something is used and someone wants to bid up the price you don't have to buy, you set your price and be patient, you'll either get it at your price or not.

So again I ask, what's the problem?
Old 09-20-2003, 08:26 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why are you worried about how others spend their money?

If you have ever been to an auction (live) you will notice the same thing. Its what an auction is all about. I have bought stuff on ebay simply because I wanted it, or even because I didnt want the "other" guy to get it. Stupid? To some, maybe, but unless someone is holding a gun to your head and making you bid YOUR hard earned money on something, why worry about it?

AJC
Old 09-20-2003, 05:01 PM
Steve Campbell2

What makes you think I worry about it?

I just said it irritates me. About the only thing I worry about these days is regularity; as will you one day, if you're not already there...

Steve
Old 09-20-2003, 05:49 PM
the troll
Banned

Well ... If you quit worrying about it, it won't irritate you
Old 09-20-2003, 10:08 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

The simple fact you think they are "dweebs"...

I guess I havent really cared much why people get hooked on ebay - done my fair share of buying (got some killer deals actually, too good to be true sometimes DOES turn out that way, like the nearly new Enya VT240 four stroke twin I got for $305, flew for a year and then resold for $500! ) what else can a modeller ask for?

AJC
Old 09-20-2003, 10:27 PM
rw Guinn

My father-in-law owns a farm near Wichita, Kansas. I was helping him with some stuff one day, and we had to go get a freeze-proof faucet. On the way to town, we passed an auction, so I asked why he didn't try there? His reply?
"I get get it cheaper NEW!"
I went to a club auction, and watched in amazement as club members bid on their own stuff just to get the price up...(and coincidentally, keep newbies from getting anything).
amazin'
Old 09-21-2003, 08:55 AM
Joe Trinkley

e-bay rocks
Old 09-21-2003, 09:28 AM
goofup

There's a British show (Bargin Hunter?) where 2 teams are given money to by antique items at a flea market (they usually haggle the price down 20-30%) and then see if they can make a profit at an auction the next week. Most of the time they seem to, once in a while even doubling their money on an item. So far so good.

But I keep thinking- why don't those people at the auction go to the flea market themselves and that stuff a lot cheaper than what they're paying for it at the auction??
Old 09-21-2003, 10:22 AM
rockmon

I think going and watching people bid at an auction is a riot. I have seen boxes of junk and I don't mean some other guy's treasure, I mean junk, go for big bucks just because some guy wanted to out bid someone else. My take on this is they are auction junkies and are addicted to it, it is amazing.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:02 AM
Scalebuff

Yup E-Bay imo has got crazzy in the last few months its used to be ok and you could expect some good bargins on there, but as of late its gone mentle

the best one i ever seen on there some guy was selling off some RC gear (you may have seen this) i think it was mainly radio stuff you know like servo's and what not..

there was a few nice servos in there i was interested in so i checked it out, the guy who was selling stated in the description that all together there was $250 worth of stuff here if you went to your LHS...

winning bid??? $260!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i cryed at that for weeks i thought it was very good lol
Old 09-21-2003, 11:15 AM
LarryC

I just saw where a Sig Kadet Senior ARF sold on ebay for $260+.
199.00 at the LHS.

Larry
Old 09-21-2003, 11:29 AM
Scalebuff

LOL larryc

gota love ebay!
Old 09-21-2003, 02:57 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen some great prices on ebay. Also seen some really high ones. You get idiots that don't know what it is worth that just want to bid.

I was giving a kid advice on what price to pay for an auction one day for a used plane, engine and radio combo. I use ebay a lot and know what stuff should sell for. Shorty after the post, I got ripped up by a moron who told me I didn't know anything because my prices were all wrong and the buyer should expect to pay close to retail new prices for stuff. I explained that I was trying to help the kid save a buck or two, and if he wanted to pay retail for used stuff, go ahead, but don't tell others to.

Funniest part of it, is that the deal sold for $6 higher than I told the kid it should. Way way below what the other guy said it should. Who knows, maybe he was the seller trying to get the price up.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:11 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Many of the items on Ebay are for sale by people who buy out surplus from closing or closed hobby shops and suppliers. They want new or more than new prices especially if you count the shipping. These are not hobby people but dealers in junk and surplus. In most cases you have no recourse if you get ripped off. If the lead in says "other items for sale by this seller" the chances are pretty good that if there are more than two or three items he is a dealer and not a hobbyist. At least most of the people who conduct web site business, Tower, Omni, Horizon, Hobby People etc. are really hobbyists themselves. The same is true for the model magazines. You may not have noticed but at the bottom of each Ebay auction page it states, "Ebay has not checked these items, Caveat Emptor".
Old 09-22-2003, 12:24 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thats what I've noticed too about e-bay. That it is mostly one huge over priced flea market where people who don't have a clue of what they are selling are selling RC stuff and trying to reap a profit. Unles you go for a specific item for a search, you have to weed through tons of listings for RC toys that are sold at any local discount store. Check the "shipping and handling" on some. I saw one today where there was a $22 handling fee over and above the shipping. The problem is that their charges do add up when you include the cost of the fancy add, cost to relist, and cost of running mutiple listings. This is why e-bay may not be a bargin place. Although I have made out good on buying a few items, I make out much better when I sell them. I'm very sure that professional e-bay merchants put a mark-up on these "handling" fees in order to make up for losses on sold inventory.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:03 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a typical example of an eBay overprice:

OS 30 Wankel R/C Muffler, eBay #3145700284

* current bid as of 3:00 PM EST, 22 Sept -- $100.81
* Tower Hobbies catalog price -- $29.99 (In Stock)
Old 09-22-2003, 05:39 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

I have gotten some good deals on eBay, but you need to scrutinize the photos very carefully. No photo - no bid. Funny, People do not seem to overbid when I'm selling.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:55 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Funny, People do not seem to overbid when I'm selling. - quote.

Agreed. Some of the stuff that goes high is relisted by someone else because they are part of a fraud. They bid items up in hopes you get sucked in and then if you don't they just put it up for auction again. There are rings of people doing this. They have nothing to lose except small fees and lot's to gain. Especially when it's stolen merchandise.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:20 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

I have actually found some excallent deals on E-bay, usually odd-ball type items, but as stated before most items go for too much. I have also had several items listed on RCU, and after not selling in a couple of weeks, I have moved them to E-bay. Every item that I moved sold for more than I was actually asking. A couple of items I have sold went ridiculously high. What are people thinking???
Old 09-22-2003, 07:07 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

I like to check it out a few times a week. I got a few RC items at good prices. I bought an F-18 kit on Ebay for $375 and sold it here for $500. Sometimes you get lucky....usually not though. If people would click their mouse a coupla more times they would find it cheaper, brand new from some on-line place.

We'll see how it goes when I auction off a new Alpha 4 next month....it will be my first auction......
Old 09-22-2003, 07:17 PM
Scalebuff

sideshow let us know when you put it up mate we will bid it up for you LOL should get $3.000 easy [sm=sunsmiley.gif]
Old 09-23-2003, 08:46 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Hi,

It seems that a few posts here are missing the point about E-bay. Whether you bid/or not and whether you buy/or not are all personal choices and that is all E-bay is. Ebay is an opportunity to find things you would hardly ever see in a normal selling environment be it a hobby shop or an RCU classified. That a buyer should beware is just common sense. I have done quite a bit of buying and selling there and have always been very satisified. No, I'm not going to pay $150 for a NIB Jr. Falcon... but.... if somebody has been searching forever and REALLY wants one, then who can fault them for paying the money for something THEY really want. The point of Ebay is that an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Sure, the majority of the "informed" R/C folks have a pretty good idea of what something is worth... from their own point of view.

The bottom line is prices are buyer driven so if you really want something listed, be prepared to play the game with everybody else. If you don't want to play... at least don't whine...

Deadstik [8D]
Old 09-23-2003, 09:14 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with Deadstick to a point. You really have to know how to use the ebay search engine to find that "unique" item. Otherwise you have to weed through the thousand and one postings for CA, Firebirds, and Calvin peeing on Futaba stickers that someone issued. I find that ebay can have some neat stuff, if I have the time to really look and sort through all the generic "dollar store" made in China, fleamarket junk. However, many others are seeing this too, so when a item does come up, a bidding frenzie occures.

Case in point, I build model ships, right now a model of a Civel War Blockade runner is closing at $455.00 with 27 bids. This kit is out of production and I bought it at a Woolworth going out of business sale for $15.00 five years ago.

I think good bargins can be found anywhere, ebay is just a convient place to buy and sell them.

Scott

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.