Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 09:21 AM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What your back is going to tell you is more on the line of "No", and it's going to mean it. Ignore it, and it's going to really complain, calling you every name in the book and telling you how stupid you were. (Experience speaking there) The last time I lifted anything heavy, it was my tool box, I'm a machinist, and it's not as heavy as a mechanics box. Three days in a row I could have used help getting out of bed, and I'm the only one in the house. That means I can be a big of an A** as I want in my own house. But there are times when having someone here would be helpful, at least a little.

rmatt, Balsa USA Stick 40 plus. Ugly as sin, simple to build, any .40 will pull it and it's almost indestructible. Doesn't mean it's a dog though, it's capable. Unfortunately, they're not fifteen bucks anymore, closer to ninety, but even taking the normal dings and slightly misguided landings, (crashing) it should last years.

RIch.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:42 AM
rmatt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acdii
52, and already have aches and pains that say, I don't THINK so TIm! My left arm has aches at the elbow that have been keeping me from doing a lot the past few weeks. My back say's, foggetaboutit every day. So whats it going to be like 20 years from now!?
Trust me it won't be better. Lucky if it's close to the same. For me it's herniated disk on L1,2,3,4,and 5s1 on the right and L4 on the left with spinal stenosis(arthritis) on all.
Surgery on L5S1 last Mar with no improvement. Cant walk more than 75 yards. That being said ya just tough it out.
Bob
Old 08-03-2017, 10:45 AM
rmatt

Greybeard
I remember flying an ugly stick back in the day. The last plane I flew, before hanging up the transmitter, was an Andrews Aeromaster Bipe. Guess I'm dating myself
Bob
Old 08-03-2017, 10:52 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

If it gets that bad, I will get one of those Dalek things to roll around in! I have spinal stenosis on my lower spine, and issues in my middle back, which is the worst as it causes extreme chest pains if I sit in one position too long.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Doctor_in_Davross_Chair.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	2226808
Old 08-03-2017, 01:30 PM
rmatt

Default Age

And they wonder why we're grumpy. Age is not your friend. Old age ain't for sissy's. However it is what it is and we will persevere.
Bob
Old 08-03-2017, 07:57 PM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rmatt
Greybeard
I remember flying an ugly stick back in the day. The last plane I flew, before hanging up the transmitter, was an Andrews Aeromaster Bipe. Guess I'm dating myself
Bob
Not the same as the ugly stick. Search for Balsa USA on line. They have an impressive lineup of WWI aircraft, large scale.
Rich.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:45 AM
Warhawk109

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about 20 years from then but 5 years from 52 the knees start complaining
Old 08-04-2017, 12:46 AM
Warhawk109

Try kneeling down to start a plane then
Old 08-04-2017, 12:59 AM
the pope

It hurts just watching guys do that . I cant get my head around guys at my club that do that when theres good starting benches all set to go .
Old 08-04-2017, 03:13 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Tip. Lay off the wheat in all its forms for a couple months. This includes hydrolyzed vegetable protein, canned sauces, stews and soups (thickener), burritos (wheat tortilla shell), processed meats (filler), etc. Modern wheat's protein content has been heavily altered. It is inflammatory to the body, according to several MD's, William Davis, Cardiologist, author of Wheat Belly, David Perlmutter, Neurologist, author of Grain Brain, Steven Grundy, Cardiologist, author of Dr. Grundy's Diet Evolution.

I did that, the arthritis in my elbows went away. Was pain free for a year. Went back to wheat, after a couple weeks, month, it returned.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:21 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

At sixty-nine I am grateful for my continued good health. I have just spent the day laying laminate flooring in my new house. You slot the planks together and clip them into place permanently by bashing them with a rubber mallet. Great fun!
Old 08-04-2017, 12:36 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Well all of you grumpy old geezers I just chuckle when I read your posts, as I to have a few things that give me fits like 3 partially crushed vertebrates ( car accident ) then there is the 3 different kinds of arther-I-tuse in the knee hips and hand joints and tendons around the knees, but because this all came on so slow I have just learned to ignore it and do what I can, then there is the loss of muscle that comes with aging, and that makes doing things harder and slower.
But it is still better than looking up at the grass roots

Cheers Bob T

PS I am 85 and 3/4
Old 08-05-2017, 06:32 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't plan on ever looking up at the grass roots. The body may be there, but I won't.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:19 PM
rt3232

[QUOTE=flyboy2610;12357686]I don't plan on ever looking up at the grass roots. The body may be there, but I won't. [/QUOTE

Well like my mom used to say if your good while you live, you will see your maker what ever the religion , and if your bad you will be with the devil and you religion will not matter. But I/we are not the judge so do your best

Cheers Bob T
Old 08-05-2017, 04:44 PM
Warhawk109

I still can fly just fewer times a day and slower planes
Old 08-06-2017, 05:36 AM
rmatt

[QUOTE=rt3232;12357753]
Originally Posted by flyboy2610
I don't plan on ever looking up at the grass roots. The body may be there, but I won't. [/QUOTE

Well like my mom used to say if your good while you live, you will see your maker what ever the religion , and if your bad you will be with the devil and you religion will not matter. But I/we are not the judge so do your best

Cheers Bob T

Life is too short to be bad.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:54 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I see you guys have been busy while I was gone. I just got back from New Orleans I was working back to back the VFW and DAV national conventions for the VA. While there I made it to the WWII Museum, if you ever get the chance go I had a blast! Speaking of Veterans and the WWII Museum they were honoring a group of WWII Vets. I got a chance to sit and talk a while with a few of them. These guys are up there and most were transported by wheelchair thr the museum by a volunteer. I was surprised by one of the volunteer, it was Gary Sense. I know he is big in Veteran support and has his own foundation to do this. What was cool was what I saw in his face he was having as much pushing the old Veteran in the chair as the Veteran was having seeing the museum. Gary's heart is in the right place. He held a free concert for the VFW attendees during the convention too, he stays busy. I was too wiped out from working the convention all day to attend the concert but the Vets gave it a rave review.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:29 AM
acdii

Gary Sinese is old school hollywood. They don't make them like that anymore. There was American Pride in Hollywood back then, not the hatred and trash of today. Look at the great names of that period, General Jimmy Stewart, Clark Gable, Hedey Lamar(thats Hedley), just to name a few. So many put their careers on hold to go fight the enemy, some didn't make it back, while others came back humble heroes. So few of that generation is left today, those that are deserve all the honor and respect they can get.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:51 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I hope none of you guys isn't suffering the heat like we are having here in texas. It's been a month with daytime temps of 100 or more, I no sooner step outside my door and I am drained of any energy I thought I had. I made a big mistake and forced myself to make roof repairs and I end up with a massive bruise on my left cheek (no the lower one) and it took three days to feel like I got back some of my get up and go.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:09 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It has been in the 80's here this last week ,Thursday nite we got 5" of rain. It almost all just soaked in. Been flying my old Cub it is a lot nosier than I remember. I am not flexible to get in the front seat.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:05 AM
rt3232

Donny good luck with the bruised cheek been there and did it and don't want to do it again worked as a roofer when I was a kid till 18 our weather hear has been hot for MN and the rain has been good for the crops but not for flying mother nature just will not coroperate as I still work part time to pay for the modeling so only get to fly when not doing honey do's or working. in the little flying I get trying to get my new super cub dialed in, so now after the 4 test flight I think I have except for an Idle problem and that should be easy

Cheers Bob T
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bird 4.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	2227789  
Old 08-13-2017, 05:30 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
I hope none of you guys isn't suffering the heat like we are having here in texas. It's been a month with daytime temps of 100 or more
Hasn't hit 90 yet this month. If my back didn't hurt from doing I don't know what, I'd enjoy the outdoor weather more.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:15 PM
acdii

Just got back from a week in Nebraska, and the weather was great, mid 70's low 80's and low humidity. Too bad it was cloudy at night, missed the Persiods, and my daughter was heart broken about that.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:18 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

It's been about 75-85F degrees (23-30C) in central France, quite cool for this time of year. I forgot all about the Persiods and as we usually have very clear skies at night here I'll make a point of looking out for them this evening. I haven't done much flying recently having been very busy working on the new house, but it's getting close to completion. I only need to install the doors of the fitted kitchen and to convert the bathroom to a wet room. I spent last week installing laminate flooring in the bedrooms. This involved clicking together planks of wood and bashing them flat with a rubber mallet. Very therapeutic! I get very tired by the end of the week with all of this physical work and spend the Saturdays recovering.

The last time I went flying I crashed my well-flown ARTF Stick. Mind you I was flying like an idiot. The crash was probably caused by pilot error but it could have been radio failure. My Spektrum DX9 had packed up the previous week, it had simply stopped transmitting so I reverted to my DX6i. I range tested it before flight so I doubt that it was the equipment. RIP Stick. Curiously enough while the model disintegrated into four pieces, the engine and propeller were quite undamaged! I was thinking of ordering another as they're only 99€ ($117US or £90 Sterling) but I've several incomplete projects in the building room to be getting on with.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Stick 1 (Small).JPG
Views:	27
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	2227866  
Old 08-13-2017, 09:58 PM
the pope

I had the green version from H.K. V-mar , what a piece of do-do . I wasnt too upset when that went in . I cant recall the real reason behind that , been too long . It just went into a slow ever descending circle and I had no control what so ever . I gave everyone fair warning so they could watch it go in as well . Im good like that . Nothing worse then hearing that noise which only means one thing but missing out on the spectacle . There some selfish bar$tards out there .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.