Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 07:31 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

OUCH! My main complaint about this hobby is I acquire projects faster than I can build them. In the past year I have picked up two kits and one set of plans with a short kit. Meanwhile I'm still on the same two projects I was building last year. I wish I could retire and spend my time building and flying my airplanes but I think the wife would find more honey dos!
Old 08-18-2017, 08:33 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I have too many projects, but they aren't all RC, so my work shop goes from one thing, to another, which in turn puts things in places that then become *hidden*, as in, where the hell did I put that thing, I know I just saw it, where could it have gone.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:36 AM
FlyerInOKC

I must confess I have had that happen as well.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:18 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acdii
I have too many projects, but they aren't all RC, so my work shop goes from one thing, to another, which in turn puts things in places that then become *hidden*, as in, where the hell did I put that thing, I know I just saw it, where could it have gone.
That's why my shop is for the model only and the garage is for every thing ells, and the tools are normally separate, as I have all ways been a fix it my self guy, I have more tools now than I will ever use and my son will only do the simple things, but they will all be his one day and he will either have to figure out how to use them or sell them off. either way he will have his hand s full

Cheers bob T
Old 08-18-2017, 03:04 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
I have a Gemini 120, so I know what you mean. It was on a 10-300 Ultimate bipe, but the throttle screw loosened and it went down after throttling back after takeoff. Carb completely closed.
The same thing happened to me. It was my first flight upon returning to RC. My plan was to do rectangular patterns until I felt I could try a landing. First 3 turns ok. On the 4th turn it augugered in. No reaction from the pilot except dispair. I think I may have tried giving it power but nothing. After an accident investigation, I found the throttle screw had loosened and throttle closed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	3.94 MB
ID:	2228473  
Old 08-18-2017, 03:14 PM
ETpilot

Well the good and the bad. I was going to run in a new OS 55AX. When I pulled the test stand out I found I still had my older defective OS 55AX still on the stand. So I had to make an engine change. New engine now on the stand. Older engine on the side. It needs a new head and head gasket which I will order tomorrow. Hopefully engine run in tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	812.1 KB
ID:	2228474  
Old 08-18-2017, 06:31 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by the pope
Now excuse me while I go rub it against my unmentionables .
Have you ever had a psychological evaluation?
Old 08-18-2017, 07:16 PM
acdii

He did! You should have seen what he USED to post!
Old 08-18-2017, 07:41 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
Have you ever had a psychological evaluation?
Of course doesnt everyone ? And for what its worth I failed with flying colors !
Old 08-19-2017, 05:42 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

FLYERINOKC

Don't get too excited about retiring, It ain't what it appears to be it's a honeydo trap.
nothing I planned for retirement worked out. now I am too old to get anyting accomplished, been like this since 92.
along with all the stuff others have mentioned.

Last edited by donnyman; 08-19-2017 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:17 AM
Warhawk109

So what you guys are telling me is to quit buying kits because the honey do list just gets bigger than my time when I retire
Old 08-19-2017, 09:19 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Donny, your post made me think of something my wife said to me some years back. "I can`t wait till you retire so you can just do what I tell you"
She chuckled but I knew she meant it.
Anyway, I have been entertained by this thread and there is so much more to read! I`m 56 and got the model airplane bug around 1969 or so. Watched control line Cox models fly around. I`ll never forget when my older brother got a .049 P51 for his birthday. He thought the recommended control line length was too long, so he shortened it considerably. Dizziness soon overwhelmed him and the Mustang went straight in to the pavement. Not a piece left bigger than your thumb. I thought my dad was gonna choke he laughed so hard.
I ended up getting a PT 19 Trainer a couple years later. I`d strap the wing on and run it in my driveway. Too scared to fly it `cause I was afraid to crash. The kid down the street was begging for us to take it down to the school parking lot, but I wouldn't. Funny, I never remember where that plane ended up.
Now I have a Spektrum 6 channel that you can put 200 planes on. Yeah, right! A fool and his money have parted once again. I just smashed one of the ones that`s on it. A foam P47 that I just can`t seem to get the hang of. Well, I can always fly my 3 channel Super Cub S Hobbyzone foam trainer. At least I don`t need the SAFE mode on. Currently building a Carl Goldberg Tiger 60 that I got at a swap meet for 50 bucks. Had a Sig 4 Star before that. Was getting somewhat proficient until complacency set in and didn`t notice the aileron directions were swapped.
But we must forge on and support our beloved hobby!
Old 08-19-2017, 11:09 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ETpilot : and anyone else that may be interested . lol Your LOVE BUG cleanup , one of my favorite projects, and we do have them in Fla.. Years ago we had a motor home and came into Fla. during LOVE BUG season , BAD news, they were so bad that there was NO way we could get back on the road until they were cleaned off. I spent about 2 hours and still didn't get them all . As I was getting ready to quit and get on the road a fellow camper came over and ask if I had ever tried using " DRYER" sheets to get them off . He showed me with a sheet and I've used them ever since. ( 2003 )

Just wet the surface and a sheet and wipe the bugs away ( it will take a little energy ) then be SURE and rinse it good with soap and water. Hope this makes a buggy day a little better next time . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 08-19-2017, 01:54 PM
ETpilot

Thanks RED, I'll give the dryer sheets a try. Anything that will make the removal task a bit easier. I've also read that using cooking spray will help keep them from sticking. I'm going to try that on my farm truck. I use PAM spray for a lot of non-cooking purposes so it may help. Today I ran in my new engine. When I opened the shop door they were swarming all over the place. I used a fan to keep most out of the shop. When I put my engine test stand outside I covered the engine with plastic until I was ready to start it. Love bugs are a pain.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:27 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried the cooking spray on the front of my 5th wheel and it did make it a bit easier to get the bugs off the first time , the second time I let it set a bit (2 days ) longer and it was not really all that fun . lol ENJOY !!! RED
Old 08-19-2017, 02:38 PM
flyboy2610

Originally Posted by Stickslammer
Donny, your post made me think of something my wife said to me some years back. "I can`t wait till you retire so you can just do what I tell you"
She chuckled but I knew she meant it.
Anyway, I have been entertained by this thread and there is so much more to read! I`m 56 and got the model airplane bug around 1969 or so. Watched control line Cox models fly around. I`ll never forget when my older brother got a .049 P51 for his birthday. He thought the recommended control line length was too long, so he shortened it considerably. Dizziness soon overwhelmed him and the Mustang went straight in to the pavement. Not a piece left bigger than your thumb. I thought my dad was gonna choke he laughed so hard.
I ended up getting a PT 19 Trainer a couple years later. I`d strap the wing on and run it in my driveway. Too scared to fly it `cause I was afraid to crash. The kid down the street was begging for us to take it down to the school parking lot, but I wouldn't. Funny, I never remember where that plane ended up.
Now I have a Spektrum 6 channel that you can put 200 planes on. Yeah, right! A fool and his money have parted once again. I just smashed one of the ones that`s on it. A foam P47 that I just can`t seem to get the hang of. Well, I can always fly my 3 channel Super Cub S Hobbyzone foam trainer. At least I don`t need the SAFE mode on. Currently building a Carl Goldberg Tiger 60 that I got at a swap meet for 50 bucks. Had a Sig 4 Star before that. Was getting somewhat proficient until complacency set in and didn`t notice the aileron directions were swapped.
But we must forge on and support our beloved hobby!
You sound like me! Only I won't be 56 till November. I did have a Cox P-51 though. Started the engine several times, but never flew it.
Where has all the time gone?
Old 08-19-2017, 03:44 PM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever end up flying a control line Cox model? I bought a one for my wife`s nephew when they still sold them in stores like K-mart. He was about 12 and I figured I had to show him how to fly it, even though I never had. I couldn`t believe how easy it was.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:50 PM
Warhawk109

I had a Topflite P-51 arf 64" wingspan, crashed it on the 3rd flight with a DX8. Had rudder programmed in for coordinated turns and forgot about having it on, went to do an axial roll that turned into a snap roll right into the ground.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:16 PM
acdii

Today I did an OOPS. Was taking off my Something Extra and I had the rudder on high rate to taxi, forgot to set to low for take off and scared the crap out of everyone when it veered towards us. I got it under control quickly by flipping the switch to low, but it was one of those DOH! moments.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:26 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Laser, famous for their high quality four-stroke glow motors, are about to release a pre-production batch of four stroke petrol (gas) four stroke engines to be sold at a favourable price to enthusiasts who live close to the factory in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, England. This leaves us all out, even established Laser owners like the Pope and I are too far away!

The link below shows the prototype engine, a 180, flying a SLEC 1/4 scale Stampe biplane.

New Laser engines. What do you want? | Model Flying

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 08-20-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:00 PM
flyboy2610

I read their post over there. It's a pre-production local sale for people who live close so that the customer can provide feedback quickly and bring the engine to the factory if needed. Sort of like beta testing, I guess. I can see why they're doing it.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:25 AM
FlyerInOKC

Make sense if there is a problem they can buy them back or replace/repair them easily without a the huge expense of a wider release.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:47 PM
the pope

I did ask Jon not long about a month ago when I was on the verge of getting the twin if the gasser was too far away as I might get one of those instead . It sounds like the wheels turn slowly at the factory with other things at the factory going on . Engines being only a part . Hopefully Im not betraying his confidence here as I normally dont repeat email conversations due to privacy and not being a blabber mouth . It could be some time away although this is just my opinion and one should get it from the horse mouth . I must say though he's a busy man and the time hes spending replying to emails means he's not at the desk putting engines together . So tire kickers and time wasters should probably leave him in peace . He does go on the rcm & e website forums quite a bit so posting there might be a better way for general stuff and this topic gets brought up often . Cheers
Old 08-21-2017, 06:14 PM
acdii

I am trying to find the perfect plane for my OS Gemini 120 twin. It was on a 10dash300 Bipe that got smashed when the throttle arm came loose and closed the throttle after take off. I want something that can hang off the prop, maybe do 3D but be easy to fly like the Somethin Extra.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:33 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by donnyman
FLYERINOKC

Don't get too excited about retiring, It ain't what it appears to be it's a honeydo trap.
nothing I planned for retirement worked out. now I am too old to get anyting accomplished, been like this since 92.
along with all the stuff others have mentioned.
Sounds like how my days off are!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.