Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 10:33 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Apparently the bigger the triplane, the easier it is to fly.
This fellow just may agree with you.
it flew like a leaf in the wind with 20 foot take offs and landings.....It's a ARF
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DR-1 .JPG
Views:	364
Size:	3.45 MB
ID:	2150414   Click image for larger version

Name:	DR-1,2.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	4.05 MB
ID:	2150415   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0276.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	3.61 MB
ID:	2150416  
Old 03-10-2016, 10:47 AM
donnyman

It is a bit quiet here.

I haven't done much the weather here is beating everybody up and it's wet chilly and muggy.

Took the time to see my dentist and ended up getting a root canal, It wasn't as bad as many had said it woiuld be but the nagging healing pain is very distracting so I sit here typing and bearing up to it.

I was told the austin model club was having a event this weekend but the weather is not cooperating plus we have a Presidental visit Friday so all RC flight is shut down for some of the day. A lot of movie stars and such going to all sorts of premeires and events so the streets will be crowded. This place is almost as active in the entertainment business as Hollywood, we have a lot of sound stages in town. and it seems more and more actors move into the area every year.

The growth here is outrageous I used to be able to see to the horizon, now I can't see across the street. and I live on the outskirts of a very small town.

As soon as this tooth quiets down I am going to try to get some building done.

By the way have any of you applied to the FAA for permission to fly.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:06 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
By the way have any of you applied to the FAA for permission to fly.
H E L L no! I have my AMA number on my plane, AFAIC thats enough.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:14 AM
mortyspals
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ghostler....thanks for having the courage to quote God's word & truths here on this medium. Neal Smith
The following users liked this post:
Believer (02-13-2021)
Old 03-10-2016, 11:37 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by acdii
H E L L no! I have my AMA number on my plane, AFAIC thats enough.
You are not alone.............Whats afaic?
Old 03-10-2016, 11:40 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by mortyspals
Ghostler....thanks for having the courage to quote God's word & truths here on this medium. Neal Smith
I'll second that!
Old 03-10-2016, 01:00 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Took the time to see my dentist and ended up getting a root canal, It wasn't as bad as many had said it would be but the nagging healing pain is very distracting so I sit here typing and bearing up to it. As soon as this tooth quiets down I am going to try to get some building done.
You are a braver man than I am. When the dentist says "Root Canal" I reply with pull that sucker! My wife had aa RC and a cap and it didn't last 3 years and bothered her constantly. I had the tooth pulled and after it healed it never bother me again. I have one tooth were there should be three on the lower left and the dentist built it up to make it a little oversize (I call it my Bubba tooth) when he fixed but it works for me. Save a ton of money too. I spent 6 hours rebuilding the Dr.1 lower wing panels on Sunday. It felt great to get some building time in!
Old 03-10-2016, 03:32 PM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I HAVE REGISTERED WITH THE FAA COST $5.00 BUT GOT A $5.00 REFUND MY # IS 10 LETTERS & NUMBERS LONG.
THERE WAS A POST THAT WAS RECENDED AS AN ERROR THAT WE DID NOT HAVE TO PUT FAA # ON OUR PLANE AS LONG AS WE HAD THE # ON US. THIS IS NOT VALID INFO AT THIS TIME.

IT HAS BEEN RAINING A LOT HERE IN ST LOUIS. MY WIFE PASSED AWAY IN DEC 2015. I AM JUST NOW GETTING BACK TO BUILDING MY DYNAFLITE SUPER DECATHLON. WORST KIT, WOOD,PLANS.INSTRUCTION BOOK I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED. I AM 87 BUILT MY 1st RC @ 10 WITH HELP OF A HAM OPERATOR. WAS A KRAFT RADIO FACTORY AUTHORIZED REPAIR STATION.
THERE ARE FOLKS WHO CONVERT KRAFT XMITTERS TO 2.4 GIGS. SO THERE IS RENEWED INTEREST IN THE OLD KRAFT XMITTERS I HAVE 6 & PLAN TO GET ONE CONVERTED. WILL SELL THE REST ALL NEED BATTERIES BUT ARE CLEAN & IN GOOD WORKING ORDER STILL. I HAVE A LOT OF OTHER KRAFT STUFF & SEVERAL FACTORY REPAIR MANUALS STILL.
WHY HAVE KRAFT? WELL THE OUT PUT POWER IS ABOUT 800 TO 900 WATTS. MOST MODERN XMITTERS ARE ABOUT 300 OR LESS WATTS.
I STILL FLY MY NARROW BAND KRAFT AM SET WITH NO PROBLEMS,
HEY DONNY TAKE A GOOD SLUG OF GOOD WISKEY FOR THAT TOOTH & THINK SPRING. TRAINERMASTER80
Old 03-11-2016, 08:42 AM
donnyman

Flyer

I am in better shape today though a bit swollen. this tooth has a cap which is the second one and it has been a pain. I hope it last longer than three years I have enough missing teeth and it is uncomfortable to chew loosing this would make it worse, I am considering implants.

Good to hear you got some build time in, I got a bunch of honeydo's Just repaired the shingles on my roof just in time for the rain but still have more to do and I need to put a new gasket set on my motorhome comode. I will trty to accomplish that today, tomorrow the tree service will be all over the place cutting and chopping trees.

Trainer 80

My sympathy for your loss..GOD bless.

I intend to wait before getting a FAA number I really am opposed to the idea and see absolutely no need of it. Just another power grab.

A shot of whiskey would put me flat on my back, I did have to use some Aleve last night, it helped. Feeling better now.

The old AM sets work real good Got several of them mostly futaba, I kept them to assist newcomers but that's not working at all so I think I'll trash them as much as I hate too.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:19 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

AFAIC = As Far As I'm Concerned
Old 03-12-2016, 10:41 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Yesterday I got new bearings for my Saito FA100. It has been slowing down and I just thought it was getting week. Then I started to hear a grinding when it would idle. I tried to push the rear bearing out with the vice it would not budge. So I heated the case a little and it slid right out. There is a timing dot on the cam but no mark on the crank so I decided that the crank should be at top dead center. You can't see it when it is assembled so I made a little spring out of piano wire to temprolery hold the cam and lowered the cylinder and cam down. Took it out this morning and wow how much better it ran. Only need half throttle for take off and it must idle at 500 RPM.
Yea Danny it is the pits to get old. I lost a lower tooth about 12 years ago so I got an implant. Cost $2K but it was worth it. Now I have lost 2 upper teeth. My dentist tells me I can't do that because it will injure my sines. He would put in a bridges, I don't like that idea. I have already lost these two teeth and he would ruin the two joining teeth. So that is actually 6 teeth lost, not good. So I just put up with it.
In case some one hasn't seen this thread I like following it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post34240258

Last edited by Joe Fisher; 03-12-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:05 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys are falling apart before our very eyes lol Most who know me know iam not only fighting old age poor eye site and the big one is MS for going on 30 years . I swing my legs out of bed each day to see if they will work or not today. I told the doctor who found the MS and gave me only a couple years before it got me, i would dance on his grave . lol joe
Old 03-13-2016, 04:15 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Trainermaster, you have my deepest sympathies for your loss. One day at a time, my friend.

Teeth! Yeah, that's why all mine came out years ago. No more worries. (of course, no more biting young necks either).

Yeah, got mine with the very first bunch. Yes, it's illegal for them to even require it. Yes, it's government overreach. Yes, there are a myriad things/reasons for not doing it - ALL GOOD. Yes, it's actually saved me explaining all that on 2 occasions now - LEOs saw it on the plane and the card in my hand, and were perfectly happy - - after which I went right on flying happily.

There comes a time at which I just get tired of "fighting city hall", and this was it.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:31 PM
Joe Fisher

We had a real nice afternoon warm and light steady wind. Took the Biplane out flew it about 12 min. and approaching to do a touch and go it dove into the ground. It didn't do to much damage mostly knocked off the gear. When I took it apart the elevator arm was off the servo. so I kicked my self for forgetting to put the screw in. Well later I found the screw back in the fuselage. Never know what might happen next.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:00 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
We had a real nice afternoon warm and light steady wind. Took the Biplane out flew it about 12 min. and approaching to do a touch and go it dove into the ground. It didn't do to much damage mostly knocked off the gear. When I took it apart the elevator arm was off the servo. so I kicked my self for forgetting to put the screw in. Well later I found the screw back in the fuselage. Never know what might happen next.
I wonder if we should start giving each other gremlin bells for our airplanes like the motorcyclists do?!

My son had the stator and voltage regulator go out on his Harley. When AAA came to tow it home the strap broke and did over $2000 in damages. While it was in the Harley shop we bought him a new Germlin bell and had the mechanic slip it on when he rebuilt the bike.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 03-15-2016 at 05:03 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:44 AM
Joe Fisher

I read a story about a B-24 that was used to fly the Hump in WW II. The crew called it The Gremlins Castle.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:19 AM
donnyman

Speaking of teeth

my root canal is really doing great but the gum next to it got impacted with gunk and is causing all sorts of problems we kinda got it under control but it is still a distraction. the endodontist couldn't fix it so it's back to my general dentist to clean this mess up , meanwhile I'm using anti biotics to control the infection and I use tiny dental brushes to get between my teeth and clean the gums..................man I will be glad when all this bull is over.

JOE F. I am subscribed to the plans site also and have downloaded a lot . It is really a fantastic site.

We just got our driveway repaved, only road base but it was rolled down and installed with a paveing machine which was a surprise to me but the result is real nice, my daughter got the best deal. The paver had a load of very small rock in his truck and he had to get rid of it so he gave it to my daughter and used it as a finish WOW it is really nice he also put it in her garage which used to flood but now I think that is a thing of the past ...Look!
Berfore ,after and inside. Her friends will appreciate the parking as well .....Now if I could just get her out of the clouds.

OH great I got a appointment to see my dentist at 9 tomorrow relief is in site!

Name:	october pics 006.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	775.5 KB
ID:	2152731   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0385.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	2152732   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0386.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	2152733  

Last edited by donnyman; 03-16-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:28 PM
FlyerInOKC

That is a nice job on the driveway!
Old 03-15-2016, 02:12 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
Being an OLD geezer years ago when I worked my first factory job "Convair" I learned the value of torque paint, So I just steel a bottle of the better halfs nail polish and and when I start closing up a bird for flight I put a bit on every screw nut etc, any thing that might come lose. So I can make a quick check of things.all the time.

But again that is just me.

Cheers Bob T
Old 03-16-2016, 06:10 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Nice drive Donnyman.

I'm pleased to say that I enjoy good health despite having turned 68 on 11th. I helped out three of my "coupains," (mates or buddies) this morning, flattening all of the mole-hills on the flying field.

My dentist is also my cousin. When I next get back to Blighty I'll be in for some fillings and maybe a root canal filling. It won't be cheap. I had two root canals filled about ten years ago and they cost me about $1000 each.

Picture of my latest ARTF, a "Stick 1500," attached. It cost me €112 ($124 US) delivered. I bought it as a hack aircraft and something to help me improve my landings on the 10 metre-wide runway at my new French club! Irvine 46 up front.

I have been building, as opposed to assembling, two sports models over the winter. Watch this space.

Name:	Stick%201.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	2152823  
Old 03-16-2016, 06:13 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

PS.

Picture of our runway at B2M.

Name:	Runway Lourdouiex St Pierre MAC.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	2152824  
Old 03-16-2016, 09:23 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rt3232
Being an OLD geezer years ago when I worked my first factory job "Convair" I learned the value of torque paint, ...
Red Glyptal, right? been there, done that at Aircraft Radio Corp, in Boonton, NJ, in 1957.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 03-16-2016, 09:56 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I intend to wait before getting a FAA number I really am opposed to the idea and see absolutely no need of it. Just another power grab.
Thank you. You like many others here don't understand the real reason for this. It's not a power grab. The could care less about the people who register. It is quite simply a way to pay for other FAA programs by fining the crap out of people who they catch flying without being registered.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:11 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Thank you. You like many others here don't understand the real reason for this. It's not a power grab. The could care less about the people who register. It is quite simply a way to pay for other FAA programs by fining the crap out of people who they catch flying without being registered.
Another reason I am opposed!!
Old 03-16-2016, 10:21 AM
donnyman

I made my dental appointment this morning..............thought I'd get square away not thirty seconds in the chair the Doc wants to pull the tooth behind the root canal tooth. Now I got more pain and a big hole in my jaw. so it's liquid diets for a few days..................whoopee are we havin fun yet???????

At least I don't have to work on my driveway.

Tele sale uk............ that runway sure is inviting!!

Last edited by donnyman; 03-16-2016 at 10:23 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.