Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 08:03 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Looks like "You've Got A Friend" in Carley, Greybeard!
Old 08-31-2017, 10:43 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Rich, you are really blessed to have someone with such a selfless servant heart to help you. It is neat to hear that in this day and age there are still people like her, whereas most the motivation is, "What's in it for me?" and "It is all about me" and very little about others.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:40 PM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update: Carley was here this morning at nine, took me to the clinic, where the doctor looked at it, "yup, it's one heck of a blister." Then she took me back at twelve thirty, up to another department of the hospital. Another fifteen minutes of what I already knew, "That looks ugly." And finally they lanced the blasted thing, walking normally now, feels a lot better. I value Carley pretty highly. Had her come in in case they'd be doing something that would make it more difficult, which they didn't. It's all good.

Rich.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:53 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Ninja smiley faces and hugs ! Harvey has passed into history and I fixed my a/c all it needed was a fan motor.

In a few minutes I will head to the field to look in on a big bird meet and get away from the house for a while (cure my grumpies)

I haven't been on the road lately but I have been told gas is hard to come by it is in shortage ........ cars are lined up at the empty pumps, and gas prices is raising! Oh my! ............... So whats new? I only wish harvey had blown away the greed that perpetuates in our society.

Greybeard 1

It appears to me you have a good thing working for you, are we looking at the near future?

Gotta go!
Old 09-02-2017, 06:57 AM
donnyman

My computer is being jammed up by all the advertising junk barging in!

Last edited by donnyman; 09-02-2017 at 07:00 AM. Reason: double post
Old 09-02-2017, 07:13 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by donnyman
I haven't been on the road lately but I have been told gas is hard to come by it is in shortage ........ cars are lined up at the empty pumps, and gas prices is raising! Oh my! ............... So whats new? I only wish Harvey had blown away the greed that perpetuates in our society.
Read an interesting article. Seems that developers built houses and constructed businesses on former low lying swamp land. Had they not been permitted to build there, people would have been protected from the flooding and devastation, storm wouldn't have nearly done the damage that it did. When we bought a home in Gallup NM, we looked at houses in the Indian Hills area. (Odd name as it was the lowest land in Gallup.) Houses were in the 100 and 500 year flood plain, essentially a dry lake bed. We decided not to buy there.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:56 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The first house I bought in Crete Nebraska in 1972 was next to the Blue river it was always a worry when it rained, It hasn't flooded yet. Second house was in Marthsville Mo. It is 100 feet higher than the river. Most of the town flooded twice but our old house is still high and dry. Where we live now is 200' higher than the Neosho river 5 miles away. The section in the highest land in Neosho County. I have my own private air strip. Since we are on the high ground they built a 300' tower 1/4 mile north west of the end of my strip. Then they built another 400' tower 1/2 mile east of my strip. and now a conglomerate is buying leases to build wind turbines. So being on the higher ground is turning to curse.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:44 AM
beepee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems that developers built houses and constructed businesses on former low lying swamp land. Had they not been permitted to build there, people would have been protected from the flooding and devastation, storm wouldn't have nearly done the damage that it did.
Well, around Houston it is almost all low lying. While it is true the Army Corps of Engineers was against construction in the closest areas to the reservoirs, no one could anticipate the volume of rain Houston area experienced with Harvey. The system was certainly not designed for it. Depending on what part of the City you look at, the storm was a 20-40,000 year storm. It is mind boggling. There was going to be flooding on that side of the reservoirs. There was no avoiding it.

One of the nicest flying fields in the area, Scobee Field, is in the middle of the Barker Reservoir (southern of the two). We may not be getting in to inspect results of the storm/flooding until November. Pretty trivial in the grand scope of things around here.

Bedford
Old 09-02-2017, 11:39 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by beepee
Well, around Houston it is almost all low lying. While it is true the Army Corps of Engineers was against construction in the closest areas to the reservoirs, no one could anticipate the volume of rain Houston area experienced with Harvey.
Following is from the Harris County Flood Control District, https://www.hcfcd.org/flooding-flood...oding-history/ with history going back to 1836, makes for an interesting read, I've condensed and put a few notes in brackets to help:

Originally Posted by HCFCD
Flooded from the Beginning
[1836] When the Allen brothers founded Houston in 1836, they established the town at the confluence of Buffalo and White Oak Bayous. Shortly thereafter, every structure in the new settlement flooded. Early settlers documented that after heavy rains, their wagon trips west through the prairie involved days of walking through knee-deep water.
[Action: They drained the land.]

The Rains Kept Coming
[1836-1936] Harris County suffered through 16 major floods from 1836 to 1936, some of which crested at more than 40 feet, turning downtown Houston streets into raging rivers. After the tremendously destructive floods of 1929 and 1935, however, citizens clamored for solutions. Estimated property damage in 1929 was $1.4 million [$20.0 million in 2017 dollars], a staggering sum at the time. Losses more than doubled in 1935, whenseven people were killed and the Port of Houston was crippled for months - its docks submerged, its channel clogged with tons of mud and wreckage, its railroad tracks uprooted. Twenty-five blocks of the downtown business district were inundated, as well as 100 residential blocks. If ever there was a county in need of flood assistance, this was it.
[Action: huge USACE (US Army Corps of Engineer) federal civil engineering projects, HCFCD formed.]

Nature Always Prevails
[1937-2001] Since the District's creation, and despite a history of successful flood damage reduction projects and progress throughout Harris County, close to 30 damaging floods have occurred in the area, resulting in hundreds of millions of dollars in damages in just under 70 years. However, after the 1940's, the Harris County area did not suffer what would be considered a widespread, regional flood, that is, until June 2001.

Allison: A Name We'll Never Forget
[2001] Tropical Storm Allison suddenly formed 80 miles off the coast of Galveston, Texas, on Tuesday, June 5, 2001, no one expected that, five days later, it would go on record as one of the most devastating rain events in the history of the United States. Neither historical data nor weather forecasts could adequately predict this extraordinary storm that, before leaving the area, would dump as much as 80 percent of the area's average annual rainfall over much of Harris County, simultaneously affecting more than 2 million people. When the rains finally eased, Allison had left Harris County, Texas, with 22 fatalities, 95,000 damaged automobiles and trucks, 73,000 damaged residences, 30,000 stranded residents in shelters, and over $5 billion in property damage in its wake. Leaving 31 counties with declared disasters in Texas, Allison went on to spread disaster declarations to Louisiana (25 parishes), Florida (nine counties), Mississippi (5 counties) and Pennsylvania (2 counties). Allison was the costliest tropical storm in the history of the United States.

Flooding is OUR Natural Disaster
Harris County doesn't have earthquakes... doesn't have blizzards... doesn't have avalanches. We have flooding. A major flood still occurs somewhere in Harris County about every two years. Most of the flooding is in areas developed prior to the current understanding of flood potential and prior to regulations restricting construction in flood-prone areas. Fortunately, since the 1970's, there has been flood insurance to ease the financial impact of flooding. Despite tremendous flood damage reduction projects that have indeed reduced the risk of flooding, more flood insurance funds have been paid here than in any other National Flood Insurance Program-participating community.
I don't think we needed Harvey to prove that portions of the area built upon is not suitable to be built upon, given there is sufficient history thereof to indicate problems, but then, what do I know?

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 09-02-2017 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Added link.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:48 AM
F4 Phantom blue angles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me To! I want to sign up here with the rest of us Old Timers! I'm Lucky. Maybe if I can't get all my RC questions answered,Maybe I can get answers on how to get rid of my aches and pains. Ha HA. My first plane was a plastic model with an .049 engine (1960) that I paid about 4 dollars new. It lasted about 5 minuets, Then I went from there. Feel free to post me .
Old 09-02-2017, 12:10 PM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Greybeard 1

It appears to me you have a good thing working for you, are we looking at the near future?

Gotta go!
Umm, no. Not with me being old enough to have been her father, plus a few years. Foot feels a lot better, maybe now we can get back to the work she comes to do. My wife of thirty two years passed away almost twenty years ago. Not really looking for another one.

And she isn't looking for a husband either, or she'd have had one.

RIch.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:26 AM
donnyman

Well guys it,s looks like Harvey called for reinforcements, the gulf has some scary stuff going on, storms all over the place. this is crazy!
Old 09-05-2017, 06:26 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Yea, I'm sweating out this one
Old 09-05-2017, 06:33 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Irma is a Cat 5, I don't think they go higher, do they? 175 MPH sustained winds, moving at 12 MPH. PR is about to be hit by it. They were saying on the radio today that FEMA is stretched to it's limits and another big on like Irma can push it over the edge, so if you are in it's path, leave now to higher ground.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:48 AM
BarracudaHockey

Cat 5 is the highest.

Upped to 180mph on the 11am update :/

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 09-05-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:31 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I can see why you are sweating it!
Old 09-05-2017, 07:44 AM
acdii

I can't imagine why anyone would want to ride a storm out like that one. If they have the means to evacuate, and don't, then they shouldn't expect to be rescued any time soon. 180MPH winds is no laughing matter, those are some serious winds! Did they mention what the peak speeds are if 180 is sustained?
Old 09-05-2017, 07:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

I feel sorry for those poor sou;ls on the islands that will be hit as the storm progresses.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:07 AM
BarracudaHockey

When Harvey hit the Texas coast, one of the mayors said "if you ignore the evacuation orders and choose to ride out this storm, please write your name and social on your arm with a Sharpee so we can identify the body.

Harsh but true, if it comes here I'm out.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:08 AM
FlyerInOKC

Better safe than sorry Andy!
Old 09-05-2017, 08:36 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I feel sorry for those poor sou;ls on the islands that will be hit as the storm progresses.
They have it bad, no place to evacuate to. They have no choice but to ride out the storm. Even worse for them is the storm surge, it could wipe out the island.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:07 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I heard on the radio on the way home around 4:00 that sustained winds were up to 185. Praying for all of you down there!
Old 09-05-2017, 03:43 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I just can't seem to get away from hurricanes. I've been affected by many. In 1980 I was in Puerto Rico with my parents. We were driving around the island. I started hearing reports of a hurricane coming our way. I stopped at a travel agency to change flights. We got the last airline flight out of the island. Interesting flight. The hurricane caught up with us in Miami.

Another time I flew with my parents to Miami in my private plane. There was a hurricane off the coast of Cuba which they did not know which way it was going. I kept checking weather hourly. Finally at 5PM I told my parents to pack up we were leaving. We flew up to Tallahassee where we spent the night then flew home the next day.

I was in Kissimmee Florida. There was a hurricane in the gulf and It was going to block my route home. So I flew to Charlotte NC to spend the night at a friends house. My friend was out of town and I never checked. So I fueled up and flew home. That was a long long day.

September 2001 I got mobilized by the Navy after we were attacked. So where do they send me; Key West. In October most Navy personnel had to evacuate due to a hurricane. Two lane highway in and out. About a 3.5 - 4 hour drive during good conditions.

I think it was Rita that came close to me in Texas.

I was lucky with Harvey. It just curved around me with no real issue. Now I have a home in Kissimmee and Irma is a real threat. I may have to plan another trip there after Irma has moved on. But now there is Jose on the horizon. Where does he go?
Old 09-05-2017, 05:58 PM
acdii

Jose can you see? Are there hour restrictions on pilots like there is for truckers?
Old 09-05-2017, 06:20 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by acdii
Jose can you see? Are there hour restrictions on pilots like there is for truckers?
14 CFR 91.1059 - Flight time limitations and rest requirements: One or two pilot crews (see attached).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	14CFR91_1059 Flight Time Limits Rest.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	2230749  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.