Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 08:33 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Careful with display modes on the forum. top right above the first post on the page, I switched to Hybrid. Guess what I saw....NADATING! Had to go to User CP and reset it.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:33 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Love bugs? you gotta be kidding? just got back from a trip to my sons house and nothing but love bugs all over the place. My windshield will never get clean. man what a mess. I've only arrived home about two hours ago and it's good to be back. but the bugs all over the front of my unit ................ and I am a bit pooped out. the only thing that was as bad as the luv bugs was the ants ............ man, stand still for a minute and you got ants.......I no sooner laid out my powerline to my son's house and ants were up the line and all over my unit, it took a lot of bug spray to keep them at bay and I had to spray my whole unit when I arrived home.

But for two day's I got away with just a few honeydo's but now that I'm back I feel a honeydo coming on....................................That's right stickslammer retirement ain't all it's cut out to be!
Old 08-22-2017, 02:03 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

There's something about big in Texas, including bugs. On my midsize motorcycle, I rode past a dairy farmer's grain field. Ran through a large swarm of gnats, it felt and sounded like riding through the rain.

Then one Spring in New Mexico, rode my fresh washed touring motorcycle on the way to a rally in Ruidoso, NM. Somewhere between Elida and Roswell, ran into a large swarm of bigger bugs like June bugs. It sounded like I was riding through a hail storm. Bugs thoroughly pelted my windshield, front lights and full fairing. It reminded me of a cartoon of someone swatting a fly, then the whole room, walls, ceiling, floor was covered in bug guts.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:22 PM
acdii

Man I hate when I get bugs on my unit. Love bugs, unit, ok enough gutter brain.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:50 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I finally got a usable Saito FA 125. I have been thinking about it for about a year now. There was one advertised for $170, Diann was right behind me and I told her I have been looking at these for a while and she said "well get it". When it came it was dry as a bone and it had no compression. The exhaust valve was stuck. I got the valve to work but still no compression. With after run oil I got some compression. So I ran it but it had little power and when it ran out of fuel it had no compression and ruff bearings. I sent it back and got my money back. I ordered another one. I was starting to worry I couldn't contact the seller after two weeks, Saturday it was in the mail. It looks like it has had more use but it has good compression and smooth bearings and runs good. I am going to put it in the Super Sportster 90-120. I have the wings and tail built and starting on the fuselage. I think I will make a round top all the way from the firewall to the tail and put on a clear canopy. I will put aluminum gear on the fuselage instead of the gear on the wings. Make the fuselage red and the wings and stabilizers white with red escalopes, Then try to copy the old Firebaby decals on the tops of the wings. Only us old guys that were 10 in 1955 will get it.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:58 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fire baby...my first U-Control!
Old 08-23-2017, 09:47 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I have been renovating a house for the last six months. I will be moving soon and so have started to take things over to the new house. Yesterday I put all of my model aeroplane engines which are not installed in aircraft, into two cardboard boxes, one for two-strokes, the other for four strokes. There is a third box containing exhaust systems. I've found out that I have a total of forty engines. Eighteen two-strokes, eighteen four-strokes and four diesels; a Mills 75, an ED Competition Special and two PAWs.

The two-strokes include six Irvines, four OS, two Enyas and single specimens of SC, Merco,Super Tigre, Cox, K&B and Meteor.

The four-strokes include six Lasers, five OS, three Thunder Tigers, three HPVTs and a Magnum...

..and I don't consider myself to be an engine collector!
Old 08-23-2017, 11:13 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there Tele the HPVTs are a cool engine . I have the 21 . You need to get some more engines !!! If you havent got 4 boxes your not trying hard enough .
Old 08-23-2017, 11:37 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Yes they are nice enough engines but very heavy and not very powerful. I may sell my HPVT 25 as it struggles to lift my old Junior 60 these days and I may reserve the 49s for a twin.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:53 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes your right there , I have said before I wanted the smallest 4 stroke I could find for something different and was a bit disappointed to find it was bigger than my OS 30 . I read somewhere they made a 60 or something even bigger . Not sure now . The 49 is the biggest they make now . I dont know if they went bigger whether they could shave some weight off or if the design is just a overweight under powered pig but still cool . Choose the right type of plane and I guess u wont be disappointed . You better get those lasers out of the box . What are they ? Im sure youve said before . I still cant get over the 360 and its the ducks guts . Just waiting for the second box with the engine mount and mufflers to arrive , Been over a week since the engine came so Im starting to get a bit worried although Im glad the engine came 1st and not the other way around .

Last edited by the pope; 08-24-2017 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:19 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I'm sure it'll be fine Pope, both the British and the Australian postal services have a good reputation.

HPs haven't been produced by the parent company for years but you can get one from MECOA. I think that a 60 was once available but I'm not sure whether it was produced by the parent company or by MECOA.

As for my Lasers I own a 62, three 70s, an 80, a 90 a 150 vee twin and a 155. OMG that's eight! Then there's that Enya 120 FS in the WOT 4 XL which means that I own 43 engines not 40!
Old 08-24-2017, 05:49 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I have been wondering if MECOA might buy up the Super Tigre tooling and bring them back into production like they have with other brands. Seems like it would be to their advantage and expand their market share.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:56 AM
acdii

What Tele? No Saito's!?!
Old 08-24-2017, 08:18 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

No I've never owned a Saito. I've got nothing against them, they're fine engines but one has never come my way and I think I've enough engines to suit my needs for the foreseeable future. That said I' going to have to drive in to Gueret tomorrow to collect a Webra and HB I won on eBay so that makes it 45 engines!
Old 08-24-2017, 08:33 AM
acdii

I was hooked on Saito the moment I first heard one. So far they have been the most reliable out of the OS, Magnum, and DLE's that I have. I have 2 YS I have yet to fire up, and the DA 100 has only 2 flights, very short flights I might add, on it to give it any information on though the guys at the field fly DA, and like them. I prefer 4 strokes and hope the NGH 38CC I have are good running engines, and reviews on those are favorable.

The one OS I used the most has become troublesome recently and has been replaced with an FG-11 Saito, and that engine runs great in the LT-40. It still has a lot of breaking in left so runs rich, and my last flight I let it idle too long so it loaded up and quit. The OS needs new o-rings in the carb, so the LSN keeps changing. The other engine that I use a lot is the Saito 72 in the Somethin Extra, Great running engine, hasn't had a single issue since installed, and has probably the most time on it recently. The DLE20 in the 4*120 has not been reliable, have to fiddle constantly with the carb every time I bring it out. Once it's running it runs good, but it seems like every time I put the plane together I have to monkey with the needles to get it to transition, even though last time out it was transitioning fine.

The only Saito I have issues with, which is tuning, is the 125 in the Mustang. Some day I will get that one tuned correctly and get it flying. I have two 100 in Cubs, and both are very good running engines, but like the GF too much so they don't go up as often as I would like. 5 minutes and they go through 8 ounces of fuel, but oh do they pull Cubs around nicely!
Old 08-25-2017, 07:12 AM
FlyerInOKC

It's raining today like we were sitting on the Gulf Coast of Texas!
Old 08-25-2017, 07:17 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by acdii
I was hooked on Saito the moment I first heard one. So far they have been the most reliable out of the OS, Magnum, and DLE's that I have. I have 2 YS I have yet to fire up, and the DA 100 has only 2 flights, very short flights I might add, on it to give it any information on though the guys at the field fly DA, and like them. I prefer 4 strokes and hope the NGH 38CC I have are good running engines, and reviews on those are favorable.

The one OS I used the most has become troublesome recently and has been replaced with an FG-11 Saito, and that engine runs great in the LT-40. It still has a lot of breaking in left so runs rich, and my last flight I let it idle too long so it loaded up and quit. The OS needs new o-rings in the carb, so the LSN keeps changing. The other engine that I use a lot is the Saito 72 in the Somethin Extra, Great running engine, hasn't had a single issue since installed, and has probably the most time on it recently. The DLE20 in the 4*120 has not been reliable, have to fiddle constantly with the carb every time I bring it out. Once it's running it runs good, but it seems like every time I put the plane together I have to monkey with the needles to get it to transition, even though last time out it was transitioning fine.

The only Saito I have issues with, which is tuning, is the 125 in the Mustang. Some day I will get that one tuned correctly and get it flying. I have two 100 in Cubs, and both are very good running engines, but like the GF too much so they don't go up as often as I would like. 5 minutes and they go through 8 ounces of fuel, but oh do they pull Cubs around nicely!
Hey, I may have some good news for you! I bought three or four engines as junk some time ago for 5 bucks all ran except one a HP 40? It wouldn't do anything and I was about to put it in the trash when I decided to try some high temperature gasket sealer (can't remember the brand name) it's in a tube and is orange. I put some on every mateing surface, even on the needle threads. I figured I have nothing to lose, well the engine not only started on the first flip but ran like a striped ass ape, you could count the idle RPM's it was so smooth. It was the best running engine in my stable and was extremely reliable. I have since used sealant on all engines that get tempermental. I treated all gaskets and orings with a coating with good results. 2 strokers hate air leaks.
You may want to give it a try.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:34 AM
FlyerInOKC

Getting any rain down there Donny? Up here we are getting hit pretty hard we have had over an inch in the last hour.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:49 AM
acdii

You guys down that way are going to get soaked! Hope all goes well and you don't get flooded. They are calling for up to 3 feet of rain from the hurricane.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:28 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm watching Harvey. The rain bands are now 2 counties away. But if it moves as forecast the storm will be a lot closer with plenty of rain. I've stocked up on food and have my generator with fuel ready to go. Losing power is my big concern. It happens pretty often here on minor storms. I filed a complaint against the company last year and they were out clearing the power lines real quick. They spent over a week working in my area. Plus I got then to drop 2 trees that would have cost me a lump of cash. It was a good move. LOL.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:34 AM
tailskid

Some of those in Texas "might" get as much rain in the next couple days as we get in 4 YEARS!
Old 08-25-2017, 11:40 AM
GallopingGhostler

Lately we've been getting a lot of rain in Eastern New Mexico. Yard is so green it hurts my eyes.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:23 PM
tailskid

Well we have 14 shades of brown to deal with
Old 08-25-2017, 05:11 PM
donnyman

Right now it's 8:00 pm and things are rather calm in the Austin area, we had a rain shower and hour or so ago but nothing contineuos. Harvey is going to upset a lot here in the very near future but I am concerned more with my son he is north of houston and the storm could head that way. All we can do is sit tight and pray for the best.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:21 PM
GallopingGhostler

And in the worst, high tail it out of there ahead of time if need be. I'd certainly wouldn't want to see anyone suffer a fate like Barry Cowsill (The Cowsills band member, drummer & bass player of the 1960's), who decided to stick out Katrina and lost his life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.