Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA Useless!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 06:50 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Progress is not going to be stopped. People probably said the same things about the first automobiles too, and look at all the regulation and safety rules we have on those, and how many people they maim and kill a year. You can rest assure any of these companies thinking about doing this will have tried to perfect it as good as possible, and as a backup, have muiltple layers of insurance for millions and millions of dollars. Car accidents can cost that much, think about a delivery drone falling out of the sky and causing a greyhound bus full of people to plow into a van filled with boyscouts, which explodes, while the bus continues off the road hitting an Amtrack train causing it to derail. Yes, a one in a million scenario, but stuff like this happens everyday (perhaps not as bad). So the lawyers will all have a field day with it of course, Walmart doesn't pay out of pocket their insurance companies do.

Weird to see Walmart selling that stuff, has to be online only (they are trying to compete with Amazon). I've never seen more than a Air Hogs type of plane on a shelf.
If their drones fly over congested areas - and that is the plan - accidents will happen, I don't think you really want to argue this obvious problem. They will do everything to prevent that from happening, sure they will, but - come on, we know there will be problems. And it won't take a huge accident to get people all excited about it. Some day we may have safer drones, today - not so much.

Won't be a matter of insurance coverage, you misunderstood my post. Sure you will argue about that, too.

There should be a clear separation between us rc pilots who fly safely at their club and a commercial drone operators.

I do care a lot about our hobby, how about you?
Old 12-19-2015, 09:12 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OliverJacob
If their drones fly over congested areas - and that is the plan - accidents will happen, I don't think you really want to argue this obvious problem. They will do everything to prevent that from happening, sure they will, but - come on, we know there will be problems. And it won't take a huge accident to get people all excited about it. Some day we may have safer drones, today - not so much.

Won't be a matter of insurance coverage, you misunderstood my post. Sure you will argue about that, too.

There should be a clear separation between us rc pilots who fly safely at their club and a commercial drone operators.

Probably as much or more than most but Separation is not the way to a good feature for the Hobby Education and acceptance of the new technology is. The FAA/DOT is going tto do their thing and if we Educate a million and a half Droners we stand a much better chance of survival of the Hobby/Sport then with them flying Willy Nilly all over the place.
Tell me if we just abandon a Million and a Half DRONERS (after Xmas) Who's going to teach EDUCATE them. The feds sure as He[[ ain't gona. They will just Fine 'em. Helps the FAA with their budget. If Drones become a real problem, Because we refuse to take the responsibility to Train the News Media the Public and the Novice Droner. Futher mor if we Have a clear separation between us rc pilots who fly safely at their club and a commercial drone operators. U think they won't Lump us all together No Mater what, Right now I Believe that the FAA is having second thoughts about Lumping us in with QUADS (Drones) but if Push comes to shove and we don't try to Educate we will be the ones to suffer.
I'm not gona change any minds and most will not take to heart what is said here in a month or so. Anyway we'll see who's right in the end. The separatists or the combiners.

Last edited by HoundDog; 12-19-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:26 AM
HoundDog

Look at all the DRONE adds even here on RCU ... Their here & the are numerous and they will be more Numerous (after Xmas) and Their gona be here for a long time. U just have to follow the MONEY to understand that.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:21 AM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not worry about it. There is no way they can enforce this.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:36 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Tell me if we just abandon a Million and a Half DRONERS (after Xmas) Who's going to teach EDUCATE them.
To "abandon " them they would first have to be members would they not? To educate them they would first have to want to be educated.
Just a thought.
Mike
Old 12-19-2015, 04:06 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
Helimaster,
Common sense tells you that anytime your pvt. information is out there on an unsecured site you are at risk! RIGHT WING HYSTERIA?
You have got to be kidding...........this administration/govt. is not capable of doing basic internet security thats why Hillary set up her own as well as our Sec. of Defense Carter
Look how much they spent to set up a site for Obama Care that failed, Oh wait those folks were personal friends of the Obamas............
I'll bet they don't have the site finished yet............. provided if they even started on it !!
Old 12-19-2015, 05:18 PM
HoundDog

Tell me if we just abandon a Million and a Half DRONERS (after Xmas) Who's going to teach EDUCATE them.
Originally Posted by rcmiket
To "abandon " them they would first have to be members would they not? To educate them they would first have to want to be educated.
Just a thought.
Mike
RCMikeT"
What happens if we {AMA Membership) don't educate the Dronners? What's gona Happen When the FAA/DOT comes to the Realization that Registration Doesn't stop the UNEducated Dronners from flying Willy-Nilly any where they please. The FAA/DOT is going to make Much more restrictive laws on flying any R/C TOYs in the USA. I feel the only chance for no more restrictive laws is the AMA and all it's members make a concerted effort to Educate the News Media, local law enforcement, and the Public in general, where it's Illegal & Legal to fly R/C TOYS of any kind. Again if we (AMA Membership) don't do it the FAA/DOT Won't but what they will do is Take away a lot of our flying privileges that we have enjoyed for some 80 years. So Keep shunning the Dronners and suffer the consequences that are certain to befall all R/C TOY flyers. JMHO that won't change any anti drone people.

Last edited by HoundDog; 12-19-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:23 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Right wing hysteria? You meant left wing nuts I'm sure!
Old 12-19-2015, 07:36 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by OliverJacob

Sure do, are we now going to have a let's see who cares more about the hobby throwdown, lol. No worries, no arguments from me, you don't really seem open to an opinion other than yours, and with the "drones must be stopped at all cost position, not much else to chat about. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-19-2015, 07:42 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Agree, it's pointless to discuss anything with you.
And my statement was not about 'all drones' - but your interpretation sounds more spectacular. Hahaha

Happy holidays
Old 12-19-2015, 08:17 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Tony Gag Jr.
I would not worry about it. There is no way they can enforce this.
U willing to chance a quarter Million? Don't forget if U fly without Fed Registration U are breaking the law and that's gota be against the AMA Safety code some how.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:04 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic
Read the FAA document. They classify all unmanned aircraft as "drones." From my reading of the actual text (211 pages) of the document, even control line planes are included.
The FAA doesn't count the number of, or use/nonuse of, engines and motors. A quad = a helicopter = a two meter glider = a 3D foamie = 0.40 size WWII fighter = a clontol line stunt model = a giant scale Cub with gas engine. All "drones", since a drone is any unmanned aircraft. Gliders, trainers, gas, glow, electric . . . if it's 0.55 to 55 pounds it's a "Drone" and you must register if you want to fly it.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:13 PM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Call your Congressional Representative. Then write them.

We need to use at least the tools available to us to respond to the FAA chicanery, which is what it really is.
I called my Rep this week, please do the same.
If you just sit here complaining without using what resources you have, maybe you lose a little credibility.

Here's where you can look up your Rep and office and telephone number.
http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

On Friday, I spent 15 minutes on the phone with my Rep's staff person, who seemed authentically interested to learn more about chatter they seemed to have been just starting to hear about in the halls of DC, regarding this FAA move.

Congress not only sets funding for the FAA, it also is undergoing a serious reauthorization of the FAA - meaning there is above-average scrutiny on the organization, for many reasons. I take it the FAA has drawn attention in other ways over the last 10 years and Congress is not rubberstamping the reauthorization. Our cause falls under a carve out Congress made in 2012, that the FAA needs to go hands-off on setting new regulations for traditional RC flying. If your call adds one more touch point that reinforces inspection the FAA's procedures, than you have done your job.

One thing to consider is that the AMA's protestations may not be the only voice against the FAA.
Other watchdogs have jumped on the bandwagon and may be joining the fray in opposing this draconian measure the FAA has installed. In other words, this steaming heap of garbage reg the FAA put out can hardly withstand a legal challenge. They were crushed by Brendan Schulman on the Trappy case because of their legal ineptitude. Brendan's case was well put together and dissolved their charges (for better or worse, some might say.) My own position, from the beginning, has been to separate out traditional RC flying from anything FPV/GPS/Over-The-Horizon flying.

This is a huge infringement on my quality-of-life, much less freedom. If it is to yours, too, it is worth saying that to your Rep.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:11 AM
fliers1

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/PR-Senate-2-2011.pdf
Old 12-20-2015, 04:09 AM
rcmiket

RCMikeT"
What happens if we {AMA Membership) don't educate the Dronners? What's gona Happen When the FAA/DOT comes to the Realization that Registration Doesn't stop the UNEducated Dronners from flying Willy-Nilly any where they please. The FAA/DOT is going to make Much more restrictive laws on flying any R/C TOYs in the USA. I feel the only chance for no more restrictive laws is the AMA and all it's members make a concerted effort to Educate the News Media, local law enforcement, and the Public in general, where it's Illegal & Legal to fly R/C TOYS of any kind. Again if we (AMA Membership) don't do it the FAA/DOT Won't but what they will do is Take away a lot of our flying privileges that we have enjoyed for some 80 years. So Keep shunning the Dronners and suffer the consequences that are certain to befall all R/C TOY flyers. JMHO that won't change any anti drone people.
There's been several attempts to "educate them. "Know Before You Fly" for one. The biggest problem is you assume that these individuals want to be "educated". This is completely out of our hands. As demonstrated in the past the threat of fines and jail time do not deter individuals from being stupid.
Mike
Old 12-20-2015, 06:22 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Charlie P.
The FAA doesn't count the number of, or use/nonuse of, engines and motors. A quad = a helicopter = a two meter glider = a 3D foamie = 0.40 size WWII fighter = a clontol line stunt model = a giant scale Cub with gas engine. All "drones", since a drone is any unmanned aircraft. Gliders, trainers, gas, glow, electric . . . if it's 0.55 to 55 pounds it's a "Drone" and you must register if you want to fly it.
I thought there was something about Not teatherd to the ground and must be controlled by R/C or be autonomous. But really what is so difficult about obtaining a FREE Registration Number and placing it in/on your R/C TOY.
Man Screwing with the FEDS Especially the FAA/DOT and it can become much much worse. Believe me. The FAA is no one to screw with. Especially if U hold any kind of Full Scale Pilot Certificate. Ya know with the FAA's Definition of R/C Toys being aircraft (Drones) just like flying anything full scale but Ultra Lites U must posses a License (Pilots Certificate). The FAA could say to fly Anything in the NAS U must have at least a Private Pilots Certificate. That's only about between $120 to $200 per hour today. With 40 hours Minimum. Or how about a student private Drone Pilots Certificate. Where U must be approved by a CDFI for every flight. What do U think that would cost ya ... It just ain't worth Messing with the FAA they'l have the last word.
It's still FREE and relatively easy to comply.
let's keep it that way.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:35 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Remember the "JUST SAY NO TO DRUGS" program? How did that work out?

At my club we hare having problems with older adults who get bored and go exploring in the wrong places. Does anyone think a lot 12 year olds will be responsible enough to not misuse a FPV?

For the average RC'er it't all about fun and most kids are not going want to sit still long enough to be told what they should not do let alone having parents involved. Just can't see it.

This may sound selfish, I don't have a bunch of extra time and don't think I need to waste it on folks who are being told they must be trained, besides who would manage this mess?

There should be a clear distinction between fixed wing Line of sight and the others. Drones don't fly fast, have no landing pattern and can clutter up a club strip to where anyone who values their plane has to stand down, have had it done

to me already!
Old 12-20-2015, 07:15 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

There's been several attempts to "educate them. "Know Before You Fly" for one. The biggest problem is you assume that these individuals want to be "educated". This is completely out of our hands. As demonstrated in the past the threat of fines and jail time do not deter individuals from being stupid.
Mike
Education is not a simple overnight thing. It's not like you launch an educational program and everyone is instantly aware of it. These things take time. Heck, some folks still don't even realize the AMA is a business.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:26 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Education is not a simple overnight thing. It's not like you launch an educational program and everyone is instantly aware of it. These things take time. Heck, some folks still don't even realize the AMA is a business.
You can only educate those who wish to be educated. Cut and Dry.

Mike
Old 12-20-2015, 07:28 AM
HoundDog

[QUOTE=Gizmo-RCU;12145546]Remember the "JUST SAY NO TO DRUGS" program? How did that work out?
About as good as the FAA's Registration is going to but don't tell them let it be a surprise.

At my club we hare having problems with older adults who get bored and go exploring in the wrong places. Does anyone think a lot 12 year olds will be responsible enough to not misuse a FPV?

That's why Registration starts at 13 years old. I don't think any under the age of 13 will be allowed to fly any R/C Toys any more. Just a guess. If u can Register U can't fly would b my guess.

For the average RC'er it't all about fun and most kids are not going want to sit still long enough to be told what they should not do let alone having parents involved. Just can't see it.

That's why we have Junior Membership and Family Member ship. Until a youngster proves he can Respect and fly alone he doesn't fly unless an adult takes responsibility for him. i.e. a parent must be present. We do let them drop them off ounce they prove they can be trusted or a flight instructor is willing to accept responsibility. It's right in our b laws.

This may sound selfish, I don't have a bunch of extra time and don't think I need to waste it on folks who are being told they must be trained, besides who would manage this mess?

I can under stand if a person is still employed i.e. working but Anyone that cares enough about this Hobby/Sport to make sure there is someone to take over for us in the feature. I didn't retire to not have time to spend at the field. The Honey Do List can always be done tomorrow. GEES Tomorrow never seems to come. Besides it's a lot easier to train a youngster (That has respect) than some O'l Fart like me. Especially if they were an officer in the service for 20+ years. Dave if U read this forget I said it.

There should be a clear distinction between fixed wing Line of sight and the others. Drones don't fly fast, have no landing pattern and can clutter up a club strip to where anyone who values their plane has to stand down, have had it done to me already!

That's the same thing that's said/say about Choppers, Foamies, 3D retards, Pattern and IMAC too. But why can't we all just get along? Had a real o'l gezzer b-i-t-c-h about a older but still working club member, that he flew very large ImAC 100 cc+ planes and monopolized the field. Well the O'l gezzer is there every day from 7 til 11. If he can't give some one a little space F him.

[
/QUOTE]
There's room for every one one just has t have a little paitents. It ain't your exclusive field. Waiting 5 minutes doesn't seem that hard. Besides U might have fun discussing things like Politics,Religion and Women with some other O'l gezzer. U Know "Solve all the Worlds Problems" all the way from Global Warming to ISIS" LOL OH! don't forget about Your gout, prostate, rheumatism & constipation. Ain't Retirement fun?

Last edited by HoundDog; 12-20-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:33 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Mike
I wouldn't say completely cut and dry as educators and education techniques do play a role. However, this forum provides you with quite a bit of evidence to make your case.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:36 AM
HoundDog

Mike

Mikey:
That's very very true but u won't know who is trainable/educatable till U/We/Me try. The consequences of not trying and the FAA/DOT figuring Registration doesn't work and implementing Much more stringent Regs is not an acceptable option.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:49 AM
HoundDog

Mike
Maybe that is true but the consequences of not trying is far to grave to not make a concerted effort. There has to be a campaign to Notify the News Media,Pubic and every Potential Quad/Drone driver that there are responsibilities to their operation. True U can't get every one to register and and registration alone isn't the answer. If registration worked Gun violence would cease. Again to just through up our hands and surrender to the available ain't the answer either. I can see the day when to fly any R/C TOY in the NAS will require hours of training and testing and a check out by a government registered R/C CFI and carry your R/C Toy operator certificate.
Again I'm preaching to the choir but i don't believe the choir cares to do anything but whine about it and say they can't accomplish any significant change in peoples attitudes, Including the choirs.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:04 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Maybe we will all be required to have our AMA and FAA numbers tattooed on our foreheads?????????

Most of this stuff will go away in time, there will be a lot of broken toys that will never be repaired from lack of interest/cash! Then the serious few might be brought into the fold!
Old 12-20-2015, 08:15 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

And isn't it a good thing that they will have a fold to be brought into.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.