Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA Useless!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 02:30 PM
rutanman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Keeping peace with land owners, stubborn neighbors and keeping a flying site in the past have been more of hassle than the problem members, but I guess each club is different. Add to it now FAA involvement which at the moment is somewhat benign, but everyone knows it will get worse and more costly. Government intrusion in gathering personal information as well as lists of personal property. (number and description of aircraft and equipment) scares the crap out of people. You'll say that they are not asking what equipment, but it is only a matter of time. Say what you will, but in 10 years, look back on how the series of new FAA rules have severely hurt the hobby.

Last edited by rutanman; 12-17-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:56 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rutanman
Keeping peace with land owners, stubborn neighbors and keeping a flying site in the past have been more of hassle than the problem members, but I guess each club is different. Add to it now FAA involvement which at the moment is somewhat benign, but everyone knows it will get worse and more costly. Government intrusion in gathering personal information as well as lists of personal property. (number and description of aircraft and equipment) scares the crap out of people. You'll say that they are not asking what equipment, but it is only a matter of time. Say what you will, but in 10 years, look back on how the series of new FAA rules have severely hurt the hobby.
Yes, every club/environment is different. My experience is based solely on my experience as an officer and a member of several clubs. We were fortunate we didn't have any land owner/neighbor issues, just challenging members.

If you look for an excuse to not do something you will always find them. The whole thing will blow over and be a non-issue in a matter of time. Other hobbies have been regulated by the Feds for years and you don't hear too many people quitting the hobby because of it. Heck the hams were the ones complaining with the FCC lifted the morse code requirement back in the day.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:59 PM
smkrcflyer

Latest email from AMA says "Hold Off On Registering Model Aircraft". Maybe they will be able to do something about this.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:02 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Email from the AMA saying to hold off on registration until February 19th as they have a plan to be able to get us out of registration.

"As we proceed with this process, we suggest AMA members hold off on registering their model aircraft with the FAA until advised by the AMA or until February 19, the FAA's legal deadline for registering existing model aircraft.
Holding off on registration will allow AMA time to fully consider all possible options. On a parallel track, it also allows AMA to complete ongoing conversations with the FAA about how best to streamline the registration process for our members."

I don't know about you but given their success so far, I'll register in the first 30 days and get my $5 back for sure, rather than take the risk and lose my $5.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:07 PM
rutanman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smkrcflyer
Latest email from AMA says "Hold Off On Registering Model Aircraft". Maybe they will be able to do something about this.
Thanks for pointing this out - have found the corresponding story on the AMA blog:
http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...odel-aircraft/
Old 12-17-2015, 04:03 PM
stang151

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well their plans have worked well so far.....
Old 12-17-2015, 04:23 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Years ago, when I was a junior officer in a squadron, a Navy Flag taught me a critical lesson: "There are no problems that cannot be made worse."

Think about that and ask yourself what happens if the FAA decides to respond by formally denying the AMA's written request to be named a Community Based Organization? From the FAA's perspective, there would be some poetic justice in such a move, as PL112-95 section 336 would be immediately turned into a set of golden handcuffs on the AMA.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:35 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Years ago, when I was a junior officer in a squadron, a Navy Flag taught me a critical lesson: "There are no problems that cannot be made worse."

Think about that and ask yourself what happens if the FAA decides to respond by formally denying the AMA's written request to be named a Community Based Organization? From the FAA's perspective, there would be some poetic justice in such a move, as PL112-95 section 336 would be immediately turned into a set of golden handcuffs on the AMA.
I agree.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:10 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Rob2160
From what I understand foreigners will need to apply, pay their $5 but its not called "registration" in their case. The certificate is for
"proof of ownership" only and we can apply for a rebate on the $5.

I'll let you know for sure after I apply on the 21st...
Did you bring the Cooper's Pale Ale?
Old 12-17-2015, 08:22 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by bkdavy
I am amazed at the level of vitriol being leveled at the AMA over the FAA's decision. If you take the time to read the entire rule and the preamble discussing the comments (yes, all 200+ pages), I think you'll find that the AMA actually did a very good job representing our interests. Numerous times throughout are discussions of comments made by the AMA and its membership through the rule making process. The arguments presented by the AMA and its members were generally well presented, factual, and based in law. The FAA chose to ignore them. No justification, no explanation.

The insurance marketing email had nothing to do with the AMA, other than the AMA is making money by selling its membership contact information to that company. This is a very common practice among non-profit organizations, and those dollars will also help fund the fight. I don't care if I get more junk mail from the AMA, as long as I know its getting us the resources we need to do battle with the Washington, DC bureaucrats.

For those that say the AMA chose poorly by embracing the multirotor aspect of the hobby, has occurred that if they hadn't, they wouldn't even have had a seat at the table! The FAA is lumping ALL RC aircraft into the SUAS category. the FAA doesn't care how many props, how big the craft, how its used, or anything else. The AMA couldn't change that. The only way to change it at this point will be with big money and the courts. The AMA is the only game in town where we can continue to pool our resources and fight for the right outcome. Unless you have your own personal legal practice and want to take it on pro bono for the rest of us.

Brad
Absolutely 100% on point. But you know someone is always to blame, and the AMA is usually at the top of the list. No matter what they do, they get blamed and criticized. Even after today's e-mail someone had to point out who signed the e-mail, as if that mattered, it's the message that counts. Drones have been demagogue by the established "traditional" modelers since they came into popularity. They represent change in the status quo, and a thread to the commercial interests of some. Oh and lets not forget the government too, they are always easy to blame. "it's a money and power grab". At the end of the day, the FAA lumped EVERY aircraft into one category. FPV, BLOS, Camera no camera it doesn't matter. Asking the AMA to shun these aircraft now is useless, and would only cause those that find fault with everything the AMA does to complain even louder about that waste of money.
Abso
Old 12-17-2015, 08:49 PM
hairy46

Again if the AMA had not embraced the drones, I do not believe that we would be going though this! They could be saying then an now it ain't us doing this, go after the ones that are and leave us be. We did not have all this BS until the drones showed the ugly heads, it's not us doing this! We are not flying out of sight or spying , we just enjoy getting together and making a day out of what we built. AMA should have stayed with what has worked all these years for them, you drone guys could have started your own little drone clubs, boring as they would be, flew one once and thought if my plane where so easy to fly, I wouldn't waste my time, no effort and totally boring!

Last edited by hairy46; 12-17-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:49 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by hairy46
Again if the AMA had not embraced the drones, I do not believe that we would be going though this! They could be saying then an now it ain't us doing this, go after the ones that are and leave us be. We did not have all this BS until the drones showed the ugly heads, it's not us doing this! We are not flying out of sight or spying , we just enjoy getting together and making a day out of what we built. AMA should have stayed with what has worked all these years for them, you drone guys could have started your own little drone clubs, boring as they would be, flew one once and thought if my plane where so easy to fly, I wouldn't waste my time, no effort and totally boring!
Not anymore it's all about the "drones " and the new technology according to the AMA and a number of people here feel were old and outdated for wanting separation. They saw "possible" new members and went all in after them and we the guys who have supported the AMA since it's conception lost. I think establishing who we are and what we do should have been the priority when this all started. Once we had that the "drone" guys would have come to us.
On a positive note I did like the recent email from them telling everyone to hold off along with Tony Stillman's comments on it's not the clubs or officers problem with members following registration it's the individuals responsibility.

Mike
Old 12-18-2015, 04:15 AM
hairy46

Yes Mike that is a positive, it's just shame we have to go through this, I for one have stopped buying anything RC related for now, as my magazine subscriptions run out, I don't plan on 're subscribing to them, to much drone crap in them for me, they have not been for the builder for so long anyway. Just waiting to see if this will still be our hobby, or if it now belongs to our government!
Old 12-18-2015, 04:58 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Not anymore it's all about the "drones " and the new technology according to the AMA and a number of people here feel were old and outdated for wanting separation. They saw "possible" new members and went all in after them and we the guys who have supported the AMA since it's conception lost. I think establishing who we are and what we do should have been the priority when this all started. Once we had that the "drone" guys would have come to us.
On a positive note I did like the recent email from them telling everyone to hold off along with Tony Stillman's comments on it's not the clubs or officers problem with members following registration it's the individuals responsibility.

Mike
Tony Stillman isn't on the EC and I don't see where he's the designated spokesperson for the AMA.

Certainly, the responsibility for completing the registration process rests with the individual. However, a club harboring members engaging in illegal model aircraft operations (e.g., non-registration operation) could pose a liability for any club.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:08 AM
rcmiket

Tony Stillman isn't on the EC and I don't see where he's the designated spokesperson for the AMA.

Certainly, the responsibility for completing the registration process rests with the individual. However, a club harboring members engaging in illegal model aircraft operations (e.g., non-registration operation) could pose a liability for any club.
As you see it and being the final authority on all things in model aviation your word is law.
Your "interpretation" seems to be a bit different from others including the CBO we belong to. Feel free to hassle your fellow modelers at your field to your hearts content.
"harboring members engaging in illegal model aircraft operations" are you serious?
Thanks for your valuable input and a good laugh to start my day.

Mike
Old 12-18-2015, 05:32 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

As you see it and being the final authority on all things in model aviation your word is law.
Your "interpretation" seems to be a bit different from others including the CBO we belong to. Feel free to hassle your fellow modelers at your field to your hearts content.
"harboring members engaging in illegal model aircraft operations" are you serious?
Thanks for your valuable input and a good laugh to start my day.

Mike
Your club is a legal business entity, right?
Old 12-18-2015, 05:35 AM
rcmiket

Your club is a legal business entity, right?
No by your thinking were a bunch of guys " harboring criminals".
Thanks for playing.
Mike
Old 12-18-2015, 05:45 AM
Sport_Pilot

AMA FAQ on registration.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...ation-process/
Old 12-18-2015, 05:55 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

No by your thinking were a bunch of guys " harboring criminals".
Thanks for playing.
Mike
Legal business entity and illegal operations are two entirely different things. I never stated anything specifically about your club. Don't take it personally. I'm looking out for the best interest of my club and I'm sure many others are interested in the same for their club as well.

Anyway, common sense dictates the AMA's insurance provider isn't going to pay claims for illegal operations. They'll make it requirement thereby making the AMA incorporate it into the AMA Safety Code. If the registration requirement holds up in court it's only a matter of time before it goes in the Safety Code. Time will tell.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:49 AM
FBaity
My Feedback: (2)

I got it Rich.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:26 AM
yorkiepap
My Feedback: (18)

AGAIN!!!!! Here's more fuel for the FAA fire......Duuuuuhhhhh! Stupid is what stupid does.....

Denny

http://www.windstream.net/news/read/...gton_monume-ap
Old 12-18-2015, 08:43 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by hairy46
It's great to theorize about what the AMA might have done in the past...but we have the FAA ruling that didn't differentiate...it put everything in one bucket...so we would still ALL be at the same place, at the same time had the AMA done what you suggested.
It'
Old 12-18-2015, 09:16 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
It's great to theorize about what the AMA might have done in the past...but we have the FAA ruling that didn't differentiate...it put everything in one bucket...so we would still ALL be at the same place, at the same time had the AMA done what you suggested.
It'
No time machine needed or Monday morning quarterbacking. .
They had a choice. Embrace and court them or make protect what we had. They choose poorly.

Mike
Old 12-18-2015, 09:42 AM
Sport_Pilot

Embrace and court them or make protect what we had
They did just that for about 5 years, but it was apparent about 2011 maybe earlier that it was not working.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:45 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

No time machine needed or Monday morning quarterbacking. .
They had a choice. Embrace and court them or make protect what we had. They choose poorly.

Mike
All the resellers choose to do the same. Go figure. Someone got rich selling them. I guess the resellers choose poorly too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.