Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:27 PM
robotfan
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sepulveda Basin

I applaud all those who went to the meeting and are fighting the good fight.  I used to fly at Mile Square Park.  Nows it's a golf course, which qualifies as low density recreation, but it generates $$$ for Orange County.  In this economy, what does everyone honestly think the city will do with the basin if given the choice?  Put up with listening to endless bickering by both sides, tree huggers and us modelers, or lease it out to a golf course corporation?  It already happened at Mile Square Park, right?  And on that note I have to agree with Scale-only-4-me/nothing-clever-to-say, they (big brother) are NOT going to tell you in advance that they are going to shut you out.  If they did that they would have to listen to lots of complaining, which they feel they are above.  They will quietly make plans behind closed doors, then one day you will see someone with a measuring wheel or surveyors transit, or they will park a dozer or two on the land.  If anyone asks, they'll have a perfectly valid reason, but it may not be the truth, it may only be to prevent "backlash".  OC was in the middle of "negotiations" with the modelers and an attorney the modelers had hired.  Then one day, in the middle of discussions, the county started demolition.  One lonely county worker went out, fired up some kind of grader, dropped the hook and tore a channel all the way down the runway.  End of negotiations, end of lawsuit, end of discussion.  Nobody had the time, energy, or especially the MONEY to keep fighting since the only improvement with any value, the runway, was toast.

Flying in the middle of an urban area, or even on the edge of one, especially one the size and density of LA-OC, will NEVER be safe from development.  If you want a secure place to fly:
A) Move to Muncie, Indiana,
B) Buy your own land somewhere
C) Switch to Micro-RC and find a gymnasium, there're plenty of those around...

Nuff said...
Old 04-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Silent-AV8R

Mile Square Park was a totally different situation from Sepulveda Basin.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:30 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

Mile Square Park was a totally different situation from Sepulveda Basin.
You're right,, there's no room for another 18 holes
Old 04-24-2010, 11:50 PM
robertbb99

I am very glad to see the AMA at the meeting. I was also glad at the turnout ftom the different clubs and modelers. You are right that the govt can be quick and sneaky when they make changes. They did this in other places I have lived. Publicise a "use" meeting in an obscure newspaper hidden in the paper. Of course the only people that find out about the meetings are your "gadflies" and the group pushing for the "change". next thing you know, a few (or even one person) people have the use of an area changed. Apollo field may not be large enough for an 18 hole golf course, but it is perfect for a driving range. When I sat at the meeting and the Army Corps of Engineers stated that the use of the golf course and Apollo field would not change, a couple of the wildlife types muttered about the damn planes and so on.

We as individuals (and as a group) need to be vigilant and keep our eyes open. We also need to take some responsibilty (as we did today) and be at every meeting held (no matter how benign it appears). The AMA and the clubs cannot be everywhere and that is where we as modelers can help our sport to continue. We also need to stay in the publics eye (in a good light) so the public will understand the good things they will lose and the impact we have on the community.

We also have to police ourselves so that the people who want to eliminate the field do not pick up allies, like the Airport Police, any angry full scale pilots, and so on. We need to get as much publicity when we do things that benefit the community. I know it sounds like "we are tooting our own horn" and many of us do these things not for recognition but we need the good PR. Sadly it only takes very few knuckleheads to ruin a good thing.

If it was not for Ron Dulys (sp? I apologize if it is wrong) friend and Rons post we would have missed that meeting. Thankfully todays meeting agenda would not have hurt us if we had missed it but that will definitely not be the case for other meetings.

again, thank you to everyone that showed up to represent and protect our hobby. I know we all had other things to do like sleep in, work, or attend the Black Sheep Fun Fly at Apollo, which I did afterwards and it went great!.

Robert
Old 04-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Silent-AV8R

I think the show of support was impressive, but what impressed me the most was the clear commitment the Corps folks showed to maintaining the current land use designation. It was obvious that they had not given any serious thought to making a change in that designation. The Corps is very familiar with model aviation due to so many flying sites being located on ACE properties.

This does not mean that we as modelers can become complacent, but it is encouraging to know that the "powers that be" recognize model aviation as an important community recreational activity.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you Silent-AV8R for bringing it to our attention that the Army Corp of Engineers are running the show at the Basin. I did a little looking around, and the ACE has a nice website. Turns out it has notices of when they are having Master Plan meetings:

http://www.spl.usace.army.mil/cms/fi...r_Plan_III.pdf

http://www.spl.usace.army.mil/cms/in...=172&Itemid=31

It would be a good thing for the Valley Flyers club, and the AMA, as well as all interested community members and modelers who have a vested interest in Apollo II field to bookmark this website and check it from time to time. You can also sign up for notices of meetings:

http://www.spl.usace.army.mil/cms/index.php
Old 04-25-2010, 04:19 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Thanks Bill and everyone who attended the meeting. It sounds like there was a lot of information and clarity there from ACE. I spent the day flight seeing around fox field, wild poppies everywhere.

Joe
Old 04-27-2010, 07:35 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

There is a Valley Flyer's club meeting tonight!

There is also another meeting for the Basin Steering committee so you need to pick...

April 27, 2010 (Tuesday), 6:45-9:00pm
SEPULVEDA BASIN WILDLIFE AREA STEERING COMMITTEE MEETING
Public Welcome
Recreation & Parks, Valley Region Headquarters
6335 Woodley Avenue, Van Nuys, CA 91406
Old 05-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Kmot

A few photos from the Hobby People Annual Engine Clinic & Pizza Fun Fly.

The new Magnum .52 gasoline engine was in a test mule. After 30 minutes of flying, Mike said, it has only used a 1/2 tank of gas. I did see Mike Greenshields from HP fly his BH Models Ryan STA. That one is electric powered, and a beautiful model airplane. It was windy and the plane handled it very well.

Mike gave everyone in attendance at his engine seminar a bunch of freebies: CA glue, glowplugs, hats, catalogs.

Hobby People has a new line of low cost LiPo batteries coming out, as well as a new Magnum .25 for the Combat flyers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26702.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	1429046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12111.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	1429047   Click image for larger version

Name:	At55435.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1429048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju13865.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	1429049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xo90346.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1429050  
Old 05-01-2010, 09:41 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

It was a pretty good morning - I couldn't stay all day unfortunately but I stayed through the presentation. I always like to come to this event and see Mike G and what hobby people's bringing us in the future. As usual, Mike brought a nice display of engines and talked about common problems as well as things to look for that could end up being problems for Magnum engines.

Talking to him and getting a good look at the engines I decided to pull the trigger on two that I have been wanting to try for a while. I picked up a 70 and 120 4 stroke. Now I need airplanes for them!

I finally got my Venus flying again and I put a flight on that and I took my student up a bit for some windy fun.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:17 PM
alltumbs

And a nice Venus it is too.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:44 AM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

Way better than the Rude Squadron ever was! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqQzEt8xEbs And sounds better too!
Old 05-17-2010, 12:10 PM
rare_bear
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: scale dail

Way better than the Rude Squadron ever was! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqQzEt8xEbs And sounds better too!

it always is

(i understand that pt. magu is on this year again - sometime in august)
Old 05-17-2010, 12:46 PM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: rare_bear

ORIGINAL: scale dail

it always is

(i understand that pt. magu is on this year again - sometime in august)
That's smart,, when I was a kid they used to have it June I think,, Almost ever year the overcast keep the Blue Angels from performing.
Last year @ the Cleveland show, the Thunderbirds got cancelled because of a thunderstorm, Ironic huh? Thousands of people got soaked waiting and hoping they'd make it because the announcer said they would be coming after all.,, Nope just the water,, It was pretty funny actually

Sometime you just can't win

Nice Vid Dale,,, Wish I was there, Looked like a great day in Chino
Old 05-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Kmot

by NBVC

3/6/2010 - Ventura County, Calif., March 4
The 43rd Naval Base Ventura County (NBVC) Air Show is scheduled Saturday Aug. 7 and Sunday, Aug. 8. The gates will open at 8 a.m. Admission and parking is free.
The 2010 Naval Base Ventura County Air Show will feature the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron the Thunderbirds. The Thunderbirds operate the Lockheed Martin F-16C Fighting Falcon fighter/strike aircraft.
"I am very happy to announce the Thunderbirds Air Demonstration Squadron will be returning back to Naval Base Ventura County for the first time in three years," said Capt. James McHugh, Commanding Officer, Naval Base Ventura County. "The Thunderbirds will headline the 2010 Naval Base Ventura County Air Show. The Thunderbirds aerial maneuvers will exhibit the professional qualities of the Air Force personnel, who fly, maintain and support the aircraft." He added.
The air show will also feature aviation simulators, current and vintage aircraft on static display, food and beverage booths and souvenirs. Also, Seabees and their construction equipment will be on display to show the role the Seabee play supporting operations through out the world, including Iraq and Afghanistan.
More detailed air show information will be released as more military flight demonstrations are confirmed.
For further information please call Vance Vasquez at Naval Base Ventura County Public Affairs Office at (805) 989-8095.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:09 AM
robertbb99

Man that's a boat load of 'stangs! A truely beautiful sight! One of those ladys looked like she really put the hurt on the Nazis judging by the crosses on her side.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:31 PM
scale only 4 me

Mr Matt,, I see you lurking,, still have that "Hat" ?
Old 05-21-2010, 12:57 AM
Billville

Anybody know if I can fly a glow plane after the jet guys call it a day - maybe after five or so??? On Saturday?

Bill
Old 05-21-2010, 06:03 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Mr Matt,, I see you lurking,, still have that ''Hat'' ?

LOL I think you are referring to the hat I wore when I flew the VTOL plane into my head??

If so that was the hat I got when I worked with the Swedish military (FMV, Forsvarets Materielverk)

Lucky hat, I wish I could find it!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:32 PM
scale only 4 me

LOL, Good times,, good times
Hope Life finds you well
Old 05-22-2010, 10:31 PM
MikeRuth

I hear a Jet went down in or near the Japanese gardens today. anything on this>

Mike R
Old 05-23-2010, 01:53 AM
robertbb99

Tried to upload some photos but the files are too big. I just bought the camera and read the manual last night. I tried to use paint to resize the photos but they became real pixelated. the files are 3.14 MB, 3648 x 2736 pixels. I had my camera set on best quality.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:55 AM
robertbb99

A jet did go down in the park across the street. From what I heard a couple of lawn chairs were taken out and one of those dog tunnels (the ones they use for obedience trials) got fuel splashed on it. There was another minor crash (which could have been catastophic). One of the very large planes canopy came open in flight (hinged in the back) acted like a giant air brake. The excellent skill of the pilot got the squirrely plane down to the runway safely but lost control halfway down it. Thankfully the bird had minor (and and more importantly repairable) damage. My favorites were the Warthog (it did not fly, it didnt have engines I think it was for sale) and a yellow F86 Sabre Jet with Soviet markings.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:03 AM
robertbb99

I thought there would have been a bigger turn out but only 16 pilots were registered. The weather was windy, with the wind constantly changing direction. It was cold in the shade, but otherwise a nice day.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:17 AM
robertbb99

I found a way to resize the pics, lets see if they upload.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58129.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1440539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55049.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	1440540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12248.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	1440541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh12171.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1440542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm76145.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	1440543  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.