Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 04:51 PM
evdreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,

The mountains look cool. That is good the power outages aren't effecting you.

I went to a Porsche event today and saw all the 911 generations. There was also an original speedster.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:07 PM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Hi guys - sorry for the slight absence.

Nick,

Your Alaskan vacation looked to be very rewarding...and from the sound of it a whirlwind trip! Your pictures are simply amazing - the one with the river and the tops of the mountains in the clouds (5th pic) is terrific. Hope you don't mind but I may use that as my desktop pic for a while. Was it really cold while you were there? I see most people wearing jackets and long sleeves.

The Porsche exhibit was very nice - interesting to see so many well kept classic's. I especially liked the helicopter with the tail fan - looks like a EC120 Colibri maybe? Was the collection all private?

JPEE,

You are a very bad influence showing me another jet like that...what are you trying to do??!! Don't worry though, I'm pretty content with the jets I have. Plus I still need to get my F-16 flying!

I'm relieved to hear you got your issues with the 230 all sorted out. Now you can fly her for all she's worth in all 3 modes!

I have been slowly trying to get my confidence back with my heli. Right now I'm just going back to basics and doing simple circles and figure 8's. Going to have to get back on the sim to really brush up and get things moving along.

I also just got my son his first transmitter - a simple 4 channel HK radio. I plan to install the electronics in the now retired Stinger jet (I got fixed landing gear for it) so he can taxi it around and get used to the radio and plane on the ground. Later on I can move him to a simple trainer after he's done some sim work. He is very excited to say the least!

Last weekend we got out a bit late to do some flights and I found it got dark very quick. My eyes aren't what they used to be trying to fly at dusk - darn old age! Talk about everything looking like a shadow...

Mark
Old 10-13-2019, 12:49 PM
JPEE

Hey Guys,

Me too, sorry for being tardy with replying to the Alaska posts and you Mark. We have had three days of fires and had to load up to make ready for evacuation order. A long story for another time. Today Sunday we are good, just washing the soot off of everything. Give me another day or two.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:19 PM
JPEE

Hello Nick,

That's a great photo of you on the beach! The rest of the photos of the country are spectacular! I like the countryside and what looks like a glacier. So much to see in such a short time. Having your girl friend to guide you to the highlights was huge so you weren't get caught in the tourist places. That squash at the Fair was HUGE, I am sure whole Fair had to be a fun too. So happy you made the trip! As they said in the Wizard of OZ, Nick........your not in Kansas anymore!!

Oh my goodness those Porsche's.......WOW! At my age when I see a Porsche I can only think of two things, James Dean and Steve McQueen. They are very desirable cars aren't they, and are a pure status symbol that's for sure! That said, I would rather have the Huskers helicopter in the show myself :-))

Take care Nick,

JP

Mark your right, I am a bad influence on you when it comes baiting you one to more RC Jets, guilty as charged he he he.

Yep the 230 is smooth sailing now. While flying in stunt 2 at 100% I did lose control twice and had to press the panic button to save the heli. She righted herself and was saved in a second or two. Shot some video but I am to embarrassed post, the loops were sloppy and few seconds of inverted were brief. Like you, when I get my thumbs back I will have bit more confidence. Fig 8's are great lefts and rights. I can get a bit edgy too, but I do need a ton of hours to improve.

Congratulations on purchasing Little Mr G. his very own transmitter. That's great step for him and must be on cloud 9. I support the idea of him as you said doing some taxiing to get the feel of the plane perhaps some rudder in there too. I suspect you'll drop the throttle down to like 25% max for him right? When I taught my grandson how to fly I put him on my old DJI 450 quad copter. He was flying within just a few minutes, then if he made an error he just let go of both sticks and the quad came back to a hover where ever it was. It made it easy for him to learn the Aile,Elev,Rud etc. and how it made the craft move in the air. Then when I took him to the Bixler Glider that knowledge made it easy for him to fly. Unlike a full airplane the Bixler would glide and was slow flying which gave him time work out the issue before he YELLED "Grandpa take it" on our Buddy Boxes. Just food for thought, perhaps one of those cheap little drones that will hover and pretty hold it's level in a hover. Keep working your last Jet to get her airborne too.

I getcha on the dusk flying, I am pretty well past that too. Your Goblin looks great and she is ready for some action. I recall your heli flying level and you've got straight up talent Mark! No way have I ever flown 3D like you presently do. Like I have said before, I can corkscrew rolls horizontally, loops and hold at the top inverted, rollover side to side 360s, nose over tail 360s, rainbows and only for awhile did I get where I could fly inverted in a horizontal circle on my best days. To me those are all moves, not really flying 3D like you guys. When Nick was flying 3D he was AWESOME hard core!

You guys take care.......... JP

Last edited by JPEE; 10-13-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:12 AM
evdreamer

Mark,

Feel free to use the pics for a desktop picture. It wasn't bad during the day. We slept in the SUV since we were on the road a lot. It got cold at night. It wasn't quite winter weather there. She said it was normal for Fairbanks to be in the -40s during winter. The Porsche collection was from private owners.

That is cool your son can play with a plane with the new transmitter.

John,

Hope the fires can be contained.

Thanks for the compliment on my 3D days. I wonder if I can still do that

I went to another car show on Saturday at a Bentley dealership.

Nick

Old 10-14-2019, 04:23 PM
JPEE

Originally Posted by evdreamer
Mark,

Feel free to use the pics for a desktop picture. It wasn't bad during the day. We slept in the SUV since we were on the road a lot. It got cold at night. It wasn't quite winter weather there. She said it was normal for Fairbanks to be in the -40s during winter. The Porsche collection was from private owners.

That is cool your son can play with a plane with the new transmitter.

John,

Hope the fires can be contained.

Thanks for the compliment on my 3D days. I wonder if I can still do that

I went to another car show on Saturday at a Bentley dealership.

Nick

The car show looks great. There are some nice sports cars there too! You know what I call sleeping in the SUV....Youth, lol! I am so jealous of you that you can do that....enjoy life my friend!

Last edited by JPEE; 10-14-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:38 PM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

Nick, I really enjoyed your car photo's. I had to ask myself...this is in Lincoln? You guys have some nice collections out there! I also saw everyone was in jackets so took a quick look at your temps - wow, mid 40's at night. Yikes! I forgot most of the country is already having fall weather, while we are still in the low 90's during the day. Ugh.

Will have to agree with John's assessment on youth being the answer for sleeping in the car. I sometimes take naps in my car and let me tell you, the ol' body just doesn't like it at all! Of course the Mustang isn't the most comfortable places to sleep. lol

JPEE, my son's tx comes in tomorrow and he is super excited. He really wants to try it out. I told him he can get used to using the throttle and rudder for now.

My last outing with my Goblin I had a rough auto and clipped the tail blades, so needed to get replacements as they got torn up pretty bad. I'm still nervous as heck when flying- even some simple stall turns get me. I'm just going to have to work my way through this skiddish stage I'm in.

I also picked up some landing gear for my 64mm Raptor so I can practice my landings, plus with grass landings the elevators were taking a beating. I tore up one elevator servo with my last landing even though it was a nice smooth landing. Problem is this plane has a full flying rear stabilizer so when flaring the tips of the elevator are pointing down and the grass grabs them.

I also found a new flying area so I don't have to wait for the construction in the back of our subdivision to be finished. It has a nice long road with plenty of open space so it will be perfect for any landing gear equipped aircraft. It's also great for the heli too.

I started working on my F-16 again stripping the paint. The stuff is really on there but the acetone is doing a good job in removing it, but it is a slow process. The stickers are also a pain to remove as they are super thin. Their removal sometimes messes up the foam underneath so I have to go over it with some filler to smooth it out. I'm using some Krylon white primer for the first few coats then finishing up with some gloss white. It's nice to do the plane in individual parts rather than a fully assembled airframe.

One thing I have been discovering with jets is the need for a more advanced radio. Right now my trusty DX7 is doable but is limited with the types of mixes a jet can incorporate. Plus there is the telemetry aspect that I have only read up on and seems to be a nice feature for monitoring real-time battery usage and other parameters. Plus the radio's can talk to you! So that's where I'm at now - lots of research to do before making that kind of purchase.

Also wanted to say good to hear the fires out near you are not affecting you - except of course all that darn ash everywhere!

Mark
Old 10-20-2019, 01:49 PM
JPEE

Hey Mark,

I’ll bet the little guy is excited, by now I am sure he has his new TX and has gotten a chance to try it on for size.

Yes it takes time Mark to rebuild the muscle memory for automatic saves without thinking and your thumbs dexterity.

I would have never dreamed that it would be so much work to remove old paint and decals. You bet on painting each piece and then assembling. Are you using DAP ultralight spackle putty, it’s kind of whipped and airy in the tub?

I hope your share some of your flights and landings with the new Raptor. I am not familiar with stabilizer and flaring issues with your jet. My buddy Phil has your planes and I see them and their tails but I’m not familiar with how all of that works. It’s a pity that landing on the grass is a bit difficult.

I understand you on the limits of the older DX-7. I still have my old DX6i believe it or not that came with my Blade 400 back in the day. Feb 2018 my wife bought me DX-9 and it too talks and has a ton and I mean a ton of adjustments. Again my friend and neighbor flies all of his Jets, 4 engine B17-24 and prop planes with not one failure with his DX-9. I still fly my 500MD, Trex 600 & 500 with my Airtronics, but all of my planes are on my DX-9. They stopped producing the Airtronics and no parts or repair are available any longer, but she is a sound TX so I’ll leave the heli’s on it for now.

Hey Nick, you and Mark take it easy.

Last edited by JPEE; 10-20-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:29 AM
Aframomum

Hey JPEE,

Yes, my son is enjoying 'his' new radio! I hooked up the rudder/front landing gear and motor so he can taxi the plane around. I also did the aerilons just to have something more for him to mess with. I'll do the elevators last so he doesn't accidently get airborne. lol We will be heading out this weekend for our first outing.

My new tail blades came in today - I got a pair of Switch and 2 KBDD ones. I am going to first try out the green KBDD ones to see how they hold and look in the air. They are made of a strong plastic verses the carbon fiber of the Switch and other KBDD blades so I'll see how they do. With the stretch I have to use the 105's so ground clearance can get iffy although the heli has a forward stance which puts the tail high in the air when sitting on the ground. But as I found out a hard landing will have them contact the ground.

Motion has my stuff coming in later this week - I hope they come in by the weekend so I can get the Raptor going. I don't know if Phil has the versions with retracts or if they are belly landers - the version with retracts won't have any issues as the landing gear gives plenty of ground clearance. It's the belly landing that causes the issues.

Its a shame Airtronics has D/C'd your radio but I'm sure it'll hold up for a very long time. Interesting you mentioned the DX9 as I have been going back and forth between the DX9 and the DX8 Gen 2. Most of the DX9's I've seen for sale (used) seem to go for around $350'ish - which seems to be the starting price for the DX8 Gen 2 if bought brand new. I still have lots of info to sift through. For now though, my DX7 will do just fine for my initial flights with my F16, so I'm in no hurry to upgrade. It's just something I'm going to have to face so its nice to catch up on all the tech improvements over the years.

As an aside, I've been kicking around the idea of starting up a second model railroad project to do with my son. Our first was done using HO scale and on a 4X8 sheet of plywood covered with a foam board. It was a great project and my son had lots of fun with it, only problem - it was just too darn big. That 4X8 sheet took up a lot of space in a bedroom.

So my idea is to use N scale. Before my son was born I had set up an N scale layout in the spare bedroom - had it go along the walls and it stuck out 3 feet or so. When we found out we were having a child I took it all down and boxed it all up and there its been ever since, boxed up for 11 years. I've taken a look at it a few times through the years and now I feel my son is old enough for it. Plus he learned a lot from the HO set. Good thing is I have a lot of the track, rolling stock, and locomotives, plus a DCC power unit, so not much start up costs.

I guess its a way for me to pass on a sense of legacy. My grandfather had a O gauge setup in his basement and I remember being in awe seeing that thing as a child. Then my dad would bring home European HO trains from his overseas work assignments for me. And now with my son interested in trains, kinda nice to be able to pass that along.

Well, take care and have a good week!

Mark
Old 10-22-2019, 08:34 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

I have had good luck with KBDD tail blades myself. While I like the CF tail blades they are not real practical for the places we fly. On my 600 I have had to lift it better than two inch do to it’s landing gear squat.

Yes all of Phil’s planes are cited with landing gear for hard surface dirt or runway.

Without looking for my receipt I think my DX9 was $450 on a Black Friday sale for $400. With regard to the Airtronics, it is a great TX and I love it. I have all of my TREXs over there. But I do have, all of my planes are on the DX9.

Railroad, I still have my little HO train and a bundle of track to this date. I used to set it up for my kids until they and my grand kids all out grew it. But.......I like looking in the box from time to time, it brings me those little boy memories when Santa Left it for me. You sound like your taking on a great train project. I so envy that you are going through this stage with your son. Wow the N scale set up sounds great, it must have been was really something! That you are carrying on your grandpas Legacy.

Been flying th snot out of the old CX2 and the MCX in the garage, we have had high winds for a week or better so we are stuck inside and.......at 96 degrees to boot!

Old 10-30-2019, 11:00 PM
Aframomum

JPEE,

I saw on the news this morning the devastation being caused by the fires in your area - how are you guys fairing out there? I hope you are safe and not being threatened. Let us know when you get a chance.

I received the landing gear for my Raptor and had a nice flight last weekend. The take off was a little longer then I was expecting and I almost clipped the curb at the end of the road but got airborne at the last second. I will have to use my hand launch program I have in my radio that automatically sets elevator to 30 degrees up to help get her nose up earlier. The landing was really good, in fact surprised me it was so nice! Sorry no video for that flight but next time around definitely. lol

I am really liking my new KBDD tail blades. They are white with the lettering on one side and orange on the other, and they are carbon fiber. I tried the solid green one's but am really more leaning towards the carbon fiber ones just for the color difference. Plus the sound they make when doing stall turns - its almost a heavy chopping sound. Kinda cool. Have to admit first time they did it I thought something was wrong with the heli! lol

We also have been having the hot weather again. Not too much fun flying. Glad your getting some garage time with your CX2 and MCX - boy that CX2 brings back memories for sure! That was my first heli and I remember getting it just before Christmas. It spent more time running into the Christmas tree in the living room then hovering!

Got a few pictures of the Goblin sporting its new tail blades last week.

Mark

Old 11-01-2019, 06:50 PM
JPEE

LOST MY WHOLE THREAD AGAIN. I’ll TRY AGAIN TOMORROW.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:51 AM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

Sorry about the post loss - very frustrating!

I have had a very busy week, both hobby and family related.

We had a great Halloween and was out until around 8:30 trick or treating. My son loves Halloween even though he doesn't really eat the candy - that's for the parents! lol Overall, it was a great time.

I decided to try soldering my own wire pickups for the model railroad instead of buying pre-soldered wire pickups for much more money then they are worth. I got through about 15 in one night. Not too bad after doing several. I am not about to try soldering to the rails as most recommend, rail joiners seem to work for me in the past with no issues. I'll probably have to do around 50 pairs when its all said and done. And to think soldering is something I really despise!

I've also been working on the benchwork for the model railroad - basically getting all the brackets on the walls and making sure everything is level. I should be ready to get the foam boards tomorrow morning. I'll do the cutting on Monday b/c I want to get a few flights since the weather is looking nice.

I also went ahead and ordered new rotors and brakes for the front of my car. I got a set of drilled and slotted ones for the back just to try them out and I've been really impressed by them that I finally bit the bullet for the fronts. No longer does my car look half and half!

Mark

Old 11-03-2019, 07:22 AM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

Thanks for asking, we have had a total of five fire here here around me but they are out or under 75-90% under control today. We are smoke free and blue skies but NOT after days of up to 70 mph winds, that was an experience!

You Goblin looks absolutely sweet and she looks like she is speeding while just sitting there. I had no idea that KBDD made carbon fiber blades, I have only purchased the plastic ones, throw aways if you nick them bad enough and they will take a beating first. They look great in the photos!

So you ran out of runway did you, it happens. You know I have a bit of trouble landing and even in the desert we run out of runway in our fly area. I and pilot recently told me to put in take off and landing rates. A few degrees to take off, much more than than 3 degrees and for landing he said 3 degrees because he saw my slowing down and stalling so I did not overshoot the runway. He said that 3 degrees will keep my nose up so I don't stall and the front wheel wont hit and flip me over. I didn't get a chance to do any of that before we left last season because I was working FLAPS in the P-51 and nailing that down. Good luck on your end and it should really help get you airborne.
CX2, LOL what a hoot that has been to play with again. It is now back to shelf Queen as is the MCx baby. I ordered batteries for both and they are there if I want to fiddle around, both machines are flyable.

The story of the lost postings:
I find that trying to post and replay etc. when using my iPad just is not friendly to this site. I wont bore you with why but the screen are not friendly at all. Make one misstep and you've lost it all especially when you trying to add a photo or and video link so now, I am sitting at my Dell Tower but you know what? I have extreme difficulty remembering where the keys on keyboard, I am so use to voice dictating or typing with my finger tip I am kinda lost LOL

I did not have a (1) trick or treater's this year! Its an older established hood with little to no children.

Your new shelving looks great and will really serve you well.
I see in your photos the track pick up, I have never hear or seen those. My tracks all have those copped/brass clips on each of the track piece and they just slide together BAM your done. But I will admit that from time to time I would hit low conductive pieces and train would slow down a bit. You'l have to explain how those long pieces work.

THIS HAS JUST BEEN A TICKLER.....
BE BACK IN A BIT, MY DAUGHTERS ARE TAKING ME TO BREAKFAST THIS A.M.

I came back home typed another half page and hit "Save" and got an error mess age saying I took to long and it all dropped out again. I am gonna walk away once again before I throw something and try again tomorrow. I am so pissed off I didn't do a copy before I hit save, I should have known better HOT DANGED RC UNIV ANYWAY.

EDIT #3
I am a bit lost on the foam board, whats that for, the layout? BTW I love soldering, for me it's like performing micro surgery! Here is a wire holder to hold two wire on CHEAP!

Hope you did get out to do some flying this weekend and the little guy got to do some taxiing too!

The rotor and calipers with take the 50-50 look away and give you that Mustang great finished profile, good luck on the install. I know you already did the back so the fronts should go even easier.

Last edited by JPEE; 11-03-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:24 AM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

Did you have a nice B-fast with your daughters?

I'm glad to hear you guys are A-Okay! I'm sure it is nerve racking but hopefully you guys are in the clear.

Please don't throw anything...you may regret it and it could end up being expensive to replace! lol Sorry about the issues with the lost posts.

No flying this past weekend - it was rather warm and humid out so we stayed in and worked on the train set bench work. He has a day off from school on Monday (Veterans Day) so we'll try and get some flights in that morning.

Your CX2 video certainly brought back memories! I remember it had a habit of dropping from a hover, really kept you on your toes. And if you took it outside and there was any wind, at all it would take off on its own.

So your back to the old school way of having to type your text instead of voice dictation aye? I'll bet the typing will come back to you in no time!

Yes, the front rotors went on with no problems. And they look really good and finish the car's appearance. I did the break in procedure in the early morning hours so not to tick anyone behind me with all the braking! lol

I have to say your soldering extra hands idea is quite ingenious - never would have considered a mouse trap. I will definitely have to try that next time I have some wires to connect...which will be soon!

The foam board is what the layout sits on. It replaces the old plywood that most layouts you see are built on. I use it b/c its lightweight and doesn't take much construction to get started. Plus if you want to do any carving to make rivers or river bed the foam is already in place. The wires I was talking about is a way you wire for DCC or DC if you want. Basically you put a pick up wire for (+) and (-) for each rail and space them at every 2 - 3 feet of track. That way you reduce the chance of having any electrical drop-offs.

Mark

Old 11-09-2019, 07:30 AM
JPEE

Hi Mark,

Every time I can get together with my daughters and have breakfast generally Saturday or Sunday with one to all three of my grandchildren it’s the best day of the week. I’m blessed they only live 12 miles away but it seems like it’s across the United States as I am in one valley and they’re in the other valley. My daughters are both avid hiker‘s and work out freaks so they hike through the mountains in the morning do several miles and then we meet at restaurant at 8:30 AM for some fine Mexican breakfast foods. I have always wondered how brothers and sisters can move far away to other states or cities, or children leave their parents and brothers and sisters and move to other states. I understand why they do I just could never even consider as bad as I want to leave California that I could ever leave my children and grandchildren, they are the anchor that keeps me in this crappy state.

This last fire within the last week was only a few acres up in the same area above us that recently burned and they threw everything they had at it and it was done in short order.

Hopefully this Monday you’ll get out and get some air time. Yes the CX 2. lol was a bit of a handful it does fly better outside with zero wind, but in the garage the turbulence is big and makes it difficult to fly, you’ve got to be on top of your game.

There are times I dictate this is true on the iPad but mostly I type because the dictation makes so many errors. But typing with two fingers on the iPad keyboard is a world of difference than sitting at a full-size keyboard at the desk so I get a bit lost where everything is. I’m attaching a photo of a split screen that I use on the iPad, a lot of people don’t know this can be done. On the right is your text that comes in the email that notifies me your post is up and then I split the screen with my Notes page and that way I can type on the left and scan your topics on the right. Of course you can do the same thing with a desktop computer and it’s all bigger but this works well. No more typing on the Forum Page live.....I just cut and paste now.

So glad to hear the rotors went on the car and it was an easy peezy job and now she is dressed.

I now see the foam board, if you could explain the layout I’d appreciate it or take a photo from afar so I can see the overall expected layout area. I got it on the pick up wires which I had noted that there were slow places on my tracks and the pick up wires take care of that...cool!

Once again good luck on your flights on Monday, and happy taxiing to little G

Old 11-20-2019, 11:54 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

This month has flown by...so to speak.

And still no flying.

The Monday we were supposed to go flying had plans changed. I don't know if you have ever heard of or watched a show called "Battle Bots"? It's on Discovery Channel and normally runs a short time on air. Basically it is a bunch of engineers (or anyone with some experience in building robots) that build robots to battle in an 'arena' type setting. We have been watching the show for several years now and have gotten to know many of the team members and their bots.

Linky: https://battlebots.com/

Two weeks ago many of the team members brought their bots to Orlando to do an off season meet and greet at an engineering expo. So we had the chance to meet many of the teams we've seen on the show and see their bots in person. It was a very great time. They also had a smaller battle arena so we got to see a few actual battles which was very amazing! We did go both days and it was terrific. They also had all sorts of other exhibits to see and vendors showing off their products for purchase. I've never seen so many 3D printers or related items!

Later that week we went to see the new Star War's exhibit at Disney. My son loved the Millenium Falcon replica. They did a good job in representing the 'Star War's world'. Of course it was crazy busy but we've gotten used to that with Disney as we have season passes - some days are less busy then others. I also had the chance to take my son on the new Sky Ride - a gondola ride that Disney just finished. Even though they had a break down issue with it when it first opened they seemed to have fixed it as we didn't have any problems. It was a cool new experience to try out.

Last week we had a gymnastics competition that my son was in. He did very well and got several medals in several events for his age group. The event was hosted at the ESPN World of Sports at - Disney...yep, back to Disney again. Plus, this year they had us stay overnight so we got to stay Friday for opening ceremonies and Saturday for the competition. It was a busy and tiring weekend.

Oh, yesterday I had to replace one of the heating elements in our hot water heater. Yeah, it surprised the heck out of me for a 2 year old unit! But it gave me the chance to drain the tank (actually had some sediment) and the element was swapped out with no issues. Not too bad of a job and the element was only 9 bucks, so a cheap fix.

Hope your getting ready for turkey day next week!

Mark
Old 11-21-2019, 08:09 AM
JPEE

Hi Mark,

I have been flying my socks off! But let’s get to you first.

Yes, I am very familiar with battle bots, a great show and it’s full of excitement and Genius. Though I enjoy it it is like every other sport or competition there is a winner and a loser. When I see the disappointment of the losers and all the money and the engineering they put into their project BOT, that kind of failure is heartbreaking. Though it makes them go back to the drawing board and look for new ideas and it’s a self education so to speak. Boy that must’ve been a real treat to go to the Orlando gathering and see the bots as well as the engineers, great time for you both. My friend just got a laser cutting machine $10K! You lift up the lid and put anything in there on the bed you want to cut, bring it up your design on your computer screen in just a few moments it’s cut! It will cut something out of wood, metal plastic, it’s just incredible just incredible!! He has a 3-D printer high end machine as well and it has different types of plastic spools to used on things that need tensile strength or just simple plastic pieces.

Two of my grandchildren brother and sister but there’s $600 Disney annual passes just a few weeks ago. Because we only live 66 miles away to Disneyland so it’s well worth it for them.

Congratulations to little G for taking part in sports and placing..... that is just so good for children.

That water heater element replacement should’ve been a warrantee the minimum warranty on a water heater these days is seven years to my recollection? Glad you were able to handle it and get back on track timely but still.

Yep, we are looking forward to Turkey Day for sure, hope your is filled with good foo and good company.

JP
Old 11-21-2019, 08:34 AM
JPEE

Mark,

Our stay in AZ this year is for only 14 days. We have some commitments that will have us home this year. We came down to check our Trailer until we can get back next October 2020. It’s been great to come down and see of our friends and get in some flying. I only brought the Mach 25 the 600 to 500 and the 230, Mavic Pro...oh and my P-47. I got to fly all many time YAHOO!

I have never really experienced the “follow me mode’s or track modes” on the drone until two days ago. Because I have no Wi-Fi here and we’re just using our phones I just took snippets of both videos and uploaded to YT. One video is like a minute and a half and that’s the drone following me and you’ll get to see the clarity and how it functions, though again it was a bit difficult, it was my first attempt. Sometimes I would go a little too fast and didn’t know how to set the speed for the drone to keep up and I would have to stop and let it grab me again and lock on and start out all over again. The piece you’ll see is uninterrupted for like a minute and a half. I also have my iPad record its screen which is how I am seeing through the Mavic camera. What you will see is all of my dashboard the height, distance, speed, the tracking and so on. I really really like this feature. We have had rain all day yesterday and more today so I may not get a chance to try another flight before we leave Sunday, but I am hoping.

Oh, I am going to include some drone shot of a min I found upon the mountain ridge. In one shot you’ll see a white speck, that me and my truck.

Here you go.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:41 AM
JPEE

Old 11-21-2019, 08:49 AM
JPEE

Old 11-21-2019, 09:08 AM
JPEE

Sorry Mark I am done I’ve spent 30 minutes trying to get the right pictures up and put some text with the pictures and just keep getting killed so what I posted is all I can do my friend. With mine if you can blow up the picture you’ll see what I have blown up and tried to attach was the opening of the mine with a giant boulder in it but it’s way at the top of that ridge. Take care have a wonderful Thanksgiving JP out if there’s a leave and post
Old 11-25-2019, 07:10 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

I never had the chance to comment earlier of your breakfast outings with your grandchildren - what a great thing to look forward to on the weekends! Your daughters have quite a workout routine - and all in time to meet up by 0830. Wow. lol

I have to admit I'm one of those children that moved away from their parents. My wife also. But my parents did the same - from NY to SC back in the early 70's. So I guess I was used to always making a trip once or twice a year to visit the grandparents, so to me it was an exciting and wonderful time. But I can understand where your coming from.

I'm sorry that you had to cut your annual trip short but as you said you had commitments to attend to. Sometimes life gets in the way. lol. At least you had the chance to get some flying in and reconnect with old friends.

I forgot you had a jug to fly - how is it as a flyer? Power, stall tendencies, floater? I had an E-flight one back in 2005 (?), it ran on 3S, had a gearbox and looked great in the air but was sort of underpowered so you had to use almost full throttle most of the flight. Talk about a blast from the past!

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...00-arf-efl6000

I've seen some videos of the follow me modes - they are cool to watch. Yours with all the tech data on the screen looked like a scene from COPS with the aerial helicopter tracking a suspect!

I can't get over some of the pictures you post - the landscape is just incredible. And desolate. There is just so much open land - it seems to go on forever. I bet the night sky is amazing with all the stars out.

Mark
Old 11-26-2019, 03:48 PM
JPEE

Hey Mark

Yes I am blessed be able to see my children and grandchildren weekly and even that’s not enough. As a child I was like you, my father’s parents were are long past away before I was born and my mother’s parents were the only grandparents I knew. We would see them several times a year they live about 30 miles away so I to understand your side.

I’m throwing you a few photos of the jug and it’s scheme. To answer your questions, it’s power is good, it will pull straight up and it’s fast on the horizontal, faster than I can flight it cause of these older eyes. It’s very spirited and is a fun flyer. The only negative for me is that it is not a large plane and it tends to go out of sight pretty quick. I fly at three-quarter throttle or a little less and that lets me cruise. If I open her up I pull some loops or aileron spirals and a bit of inverted with no issue. A guy had several in the factory fresh box and was selling them for $100 each at the field more yeas ago than I recall. I snapped it up immediately and I’ve been pleased with it ever sense. I fly a 2200 3S pack which I have several of from my T-28. They are both “like” airplanes in size. The difference is.....the jug is just faster, stronger and more responsive. The landing gear is fixed. I’ve never flown it and landed on an asphalt runway so I don’t know how it handles in that regard. Out in the desert in the dirt it takes off quickly and is light and airborne easily, however........coming in to land is some work as it tends to be nose heavy and once it’s in the dirt the tail comes up and the nose goes down and that stops the prop and it just scoops up dirt in the cowling. Then I’ve got to pull the prop and remove the cowling to get it all of dirt out. I considered waiting the tail and making up for it with some added elevator but just never got around to it I’ve gotten pretty good with it and as I touch down I slow down and just keep some up elevator to help so it doesn’t slow down and tip nose over. Phil gave me a tip and said for me to put my landing gear with your spring steel in the advice in bend them so the wheels or forward perhaps another quarter inch to a half an inch to help carry the load of the battery in the motor and everything in the front upon landing. He has done this in the past and it’s been helpful on his planes. You’re just pushing the CG forward I like it just didn’t get a chance to try it there for the few days we got to fly.

As I read about your past plane with the gear transmission to the motor I know exactly what you’re speaking to and yes those babies were weak. The model I have is not a floater and is stable.

I’ll tell you Mark, when I throw up the Mavic and you’ve got a grande up in the air you want all that tracking on your screen as the pilot to keep tabs on your battery your distance your elevation and so on. But the video that comes out of a chip in the Mavic is clean as you saw and that’s what you’re shooting for in the end. It’s really easy to fly too far away and not have enough battery to come back, it’s really easy to fly to low next to something you’re trying to film and having cactus or a tree or part of a old building or a power pole in your way that you can get hung up on. By being able to see my elevation there are times I will go out and go to the tallest brush tree, cactus or the tallest power pole and I fly over close do it and then slowly elevate up until I can see I am five or 6 feet above it and that is my minimum altitude I will fly out in that area while filming.

You hit the nail on the head with the landscape. They are purple, some browns and grays and then of course in the spring when the cactus flowers come out in the wild posies for the lack of the right name come out and bloom it’s very beautiful. Stars? We have stars wazoo, satellites going overhead, falling stars coming down...... it’s great! But when one is outside looking up in the dark hours one must be careful for snakes, scorpions, tarantulas and most importantly the coyotes. We’ll sit out by the campfire and once the fire goes out we’ll stay there in the open desert of coarse and after a while you’ll hear the tundra and brush moving and we’ll shine a flashlight deep in the brush and there will be “shining eyes” looking back at you. We also have bobcats that even come in to the RV park which I have personally seen during the dusk hours looking for small dogs that people leave outside their motorhomes in little pens and the cats/coyotes just come in there and grab them and it’s game over.

Hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving!

Nick.......you too!

Last edited by JPEE; 11-26-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:00 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

I had more to talk about but got busy with work...so now I can finish up. lol

This year I have to work on turkey day so we'll be doing our Thanksgiving on Friday. No big deal, just have to make some adjustments each year.

Our battlebots weekend was very nice. We got to meet the following teams / team members: Witchdoctor, Tombstone, Mammoth, Hypershock, Huge, and Deep Sixx. It was truly exciting and the guys/gals were really great people to talk with.

Out of everyone we met I have to say I was really amazed with the Deep Sixx guys - the team leader told me he was actually a Navy diver and after his competition he had a six month deployment. He talked about some of the dives he does and how he was training on the recovery of the Orion spacecraft. There were other teams that were training for the SpaceX craft. Kinda like the video's from the 1960's and 70's of the divers next to the spacecraft after they landed in the water. That was very cool to hear about!

My wife had a great time talking with the guys from Huge and Will from Hypershock. She said his humor was great! We also got to see Hypershock do a battle which was very amazing. To see a 250lb buggy type vehicle racing around and slamming into anything and everything was definitely a sight! They didn't have the spinner on it (for safety) but it still was quite an experience.

I did get a chance to take my son this past weekend to taxi his jet around. He had a blast! It took him a little while to get the hang of it but before long he was able to run it down the runway at a decent speed.

This past Monday I got tickets for us to go on a short train ride with Amtrak - we just did an hour trip but I try and do this every time my son has a vacation from school. He really loves taking a train trip!

Your jug looks fantastic, plus you got it for a great deal! Glad that she is a spirited flier - I can't imagine how we used to fly with only brushed motors back in the day!

I didn't think about all the desert wildlife you have to deal with at night. Scorpions and tarantulas and coyotes - wow! But I can imagine it is absolutely beautiful out there - both day and night.

I finally got to laying some of the roadbed for the train set so I feel like things are going to start moving along nicely. I'll have to get a video together for you to show how everything is looking.

Wishing you and Nick a great Thanksgiving Day!

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.