Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Caelus New F3A design by Top RC Model

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 06:39 AM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by husafreak
Oh, I spoke to someone at Futaba USA Today. They told me the MC9100A 100A ESC which listed for 219.99 has been discontinued. Its replacement is the MC9130 which is a 130A beast and retails for 359.99. It is not available yet. Who knows wether this ESC will have the same F3A friendly properties as the MC9100? It looks a lot like my big Hobbywing Platinum 160 ESC in my 800 size heli.
I buy a lot of stuff from RC Japan. They are very good folks and their English email correspondence if needed is very good. About 5 day service from Japan....small stuff like this is flown over here so it won't be stuck in the LA Harbor.
They have the new Futaba ESC and programmer.
https://www.rcjapan.net/index.php?ma...ducts_id=31006

Here is the programmer.
https://www.rcjapan.net/index.php?ma...ducts_id=31008

Old 11-04-2021, 07:06 AM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2021, 07:40 AM
Dave Harmon

Thanks!
PM Sent!
Old 11-04-2021, 07:01 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Much thanks to DH for advice given via PM!
Turns out I was right about the Hanger 9 Incidence meter being a problem. I realized this morning that the meter was reading very differently when turned 180 degrees. What I mean is if the screen is always viewed from the left side of the aircraft, even when moved to the right wing, then it is accurate and useful, but if I turned the meter 180 degrees when putting it on a surface then the angle would be different by about 0.6 degrees. That is, for instance, why I thought the Tcan was "bent" even though I couldn't see a warp, if I rotated the meter 180 to read the other side of the Tcan it would go from 0.5 degrees to 1.1 degrees. But if I transferred the meter across the Tcan center line but still viewed from the same side then the meter was 0.5 on both sides. Whew! So my wings and stabs were not at the same angles of incidence.
After resetting everything it was off to the field for another trimming session. I started with the wings (and Tcan) at 0.5 positive and the stabs at 0.0 relative to the canopy rail. Still had up elevator trim but got to remove almost all of the aileron trim. The ailerons are warped but now they are perfectly lined up at either wingtip and off by the warp at either root. It can never be perfect but it is looking much better now. Then I adjusted the wings to 0.7 degrees positive as a prelude to using the Triangle Trimming technique (but left the Tcan at 0.5). Now I had even less up elevator trim. So I re trimmed the stabs (negative or down at the L/E) a tiny amount until the elevators are in line with the stabs. My CG now is very neutral, from a 45 degree up line, then roll inverted, it pulls to the canopy very slowly. Curiously it still needs quite a bit of stick (down elevator) inverted in level flight. It feels more nose heavy in straight inverted flight than on the 45 up line. So as it is now the CG is close to neutral and it is very sensitive to elevator when it gets slow or on landing, very easy to balloon with even slight aft stick movements, I hope to move it forward a bit. It is 245mm back from the leading edge at the fuselage, almost 45mm behind the wing tube! This is really far back based on what I gleaned from the thread, maybe the V2 I have is more different that the V1 than I realized? Still, that is way behind the spar. And it still requires a lot of down elevator to rudder mix in K/E. I mixed the pull to the canopy out completely with some big numbers but I may be making some changes when I continue with the TT technique.
That is where I am at now with this, lots to learn and I may never get it exactly right but I'm close to having a plane that is not obviously out of wack! And the plane seems more responsive to small changes now that I have gotten the incidences and trims closer to being correct.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:08 PM
Dave Harmon

Much thanks to DH for advice given via PM!
And it still requires a lot of down elevator to rudder mix in K/E. And the plane seems more responsive to small changes now that I have gotten the incidences and trims closer to being correct.
For inverted flight you can remove some expo on down elevator only.....this will increase down elevator sensitivity and reduce the down stick movement.....and you can raise the stab l/e to help with this....see PM.
Also....from some of your PM comments you might consider adding more up elevator expo to soften the elevator on landing.

Last edited by Dave Harmon; 11-04-2021 at 09:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
husafreak (11-05-2021)
Old 05-03-2022, 07:09 AM
mtcarey
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was the final setting for the Tcan?