Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Dragonus II

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 01:50 PM
xodarap1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dragonus II

I was searching for a light but more rugged version of the honey bee king2 that would be smoother, a bit bigger with parts that were inexpensive and easy to find. I didn't want to dump cash on T-rex and didn't want the metal upgrade costs and weight of other 450's.

I talked to Rusty at Castlerockhobbies.com and told him what i was looking for and he told me about the Dragonus II. He was fired up about the heli and he insisted that it was exactly what I was looking for and that it would be a great 450 sized trainer. Man, was he ever right!!

I recently put the Dragonus II Elite kit together. It has the plastic head and tail, wooden main blades and plastic tail blades. I've logged 23 flights with it over the last few days and I must say that i'm very impressed with it. I've flown several 450's and i'd put this up against any of them, even the ones with upgraded metal head and tails. The plastic is rugged and well manufactured and the head is programmable and can be changed around in a few minutes.

The build was easy and the instructions were easy to follow. It did take me a while to put it together, but I'm kind of anal when it comes to builds lol. Adding hex head bolts would have been a nice touch to the kit, but that is easy to change for those that want them.

The heli is fantastic in the air and it can do everything that i do with my larger helis, even in heavy wind gusts - which was impressive for how light the heli is. I haven't tried tic tocs with it yet because i'm afraid that it might be near the limit of the wooden blades. But.. based on other flight characteristics, i have no doubt that the heli can do them with ease. I do plan on upgrading the blades soon and will continue to run them with the plastic head to see how things go.

I'm surprised that this heli has been overlooked by so many but then again, it was a while before a lot of good helis caught on. All i know is that i'm glad i didn't pass it up.. it's a steal compared to other 450's.. and although i love my Shark 450, this is lighter and feels more nimble in the air.

I put a telebee gyro on it at first so i could compare it to the king2 and shark 450 using the same telebee. The telebee held best on the Dragonus II and i was able to fly it inverted and do a few advanced maneuvers, but when pushed harder, the telebee just couldn't do the job well enough. I put on a 401 with an el'cheapo $18 digital gyro.. and as expected, the heli really came to life and was a dream to fly.

If I had to sum up the Dragonus II in three words, they would be "Light", "Fast", "Tough". In two words it would be "Sharp", "Crisp". In one word.. "Wow".

This review is only my opinion and i guess it's worth what you pay for it lol.. but if you get one of these helis and fly it, your own opinion should be similar.. and that's a great all around value!

Here are some pics of it next to my honey bee king2 (the king2 has a 450 canopy on it). One of the pics is of my flying field. It's a great place to fly and i love to tease the grass with the blades heheh.

I'll post some you tube video of the Dragonus II and H550's again soon (i finally broke down and got a decent video camera!)
Happy Flying!

Steve

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69920.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	958904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29254.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	958905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74511.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	958906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74585.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	958907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kw18419.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	958908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nd54008.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	958909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ce69778.jpg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	958910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sr58752.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	958911  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yx39800.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	958912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fr81240.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	958913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye32139.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	958914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk47692.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	958915  
Old 06-03-2008, 11:40 PM
shadowflyer101

Default RE: Dragonus II

xodarap,

i am also a good friend of rustys, and after i did a 60ft nose first free wall straigt into the GROUND with my copter x (curtisy of rusty). i was in search of the next best thing. he was just raving about the dragonus like no manyana. at first, i thought he was crazy while he was telling me to go back to a plstice heli, and was only telling me that the (this is not like any plastic), and (this is an amazing bird) just to make a sale. but i took the plung, and bought one. WOW, what a bird. this thing is extremely stable, and extremely maneuverable. the wooden blades hold up well during tic tocs for me, and did whatever i wanteded it to do.

now for the durability test, i have a motor malfunction (name classified) during a tic toc. and went head first into the ground. oll rusty was right, this is not like any kind of plastic. parts broken where the center hub. and even that’s arguable because it only cracked at the hole where the nut and bolt went into due to the force of the impact. so anyway, i broke the center hub, and bent all the metal in the frame, but the head survived without a scratch! VARY VARY VARY!! surprised and extremly pleased with this heli, and for the price you can't beat it with a stick.

Name:	Lj22051.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	963341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73287.jpg
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	963342  
Old 06-04-2008, 11:51 AM
xodarap1

On flight 42.. one of my cyclic servos died in forward flight yesterday coming out of a roll when the heli was 40' off the deck.

I hit throttle hold as soon as I knew it was going in.. and it hit the grass pretty hard.

The only damage to the heli (which i find amazing) was the main shaft was sheared right off where the lower bolt goes through the main shaft. The shaft is hollow btw, and i think that is a weak spot.. but i'm glad it is! I think that weak part saved my a lot of other damage to the head.

Here's the cool part.. there was NO damage to the carbon blades any of the plastic head parts (not even the linkages!), frame, feathering shaft, boom, tail shaft, canopy, main gear, landing gear... nothing! Those are the things you would think would have been bent/twisted etc, but they weren't.

If i would have hit the ground with my Shark or Hurricanes like that they would have been really buggered up for sure.

That was my first Dragonus II crash test and I'm impressed. A main shaft is only two bucks and a servo is a cheap fast swap.

I'll keep ya posted on how it does next time it meets the earth.

Steve
Old 06-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Kaelan

ORIGINAL: shadow flyer

xodarap,

i am also a good friend of rustys, and after i did a 60ft nose first free wall straigt into the GROUND with my copter x (curtisy of rusty). i was in search of the next best thing. he was just raving about the dragonus like no manyana. at first, i thought he was crazy while he was telling me to go back to a plstice heli, and was only telling me that the (this is not like any plastic), and (this is an amazing bird) just to make a sale. but i took the plung, and bought one. WOW, what a bird. this thing is extremely stable, and extremely maneuverable. the wooden blades hold up well during tic tocs for me, and did whatever i wanteded it to do.

now for the durability test, i have a motor malfunction (name classified) during a tic toc. and went head first into the ground. oll rusty was right, this is not like any kind of plastic. parts broken where the center hub. and even that’s arguable because it only cracked at the hole where the nut and bolt went into due to the force of the impact. so anyway, i broke the center hub, and bent all the metal in the frame, but the head survived without a scratch! VARY VARY VARY!! surprised and extremly pleased with this heli, and for the price you can't beat it with a stick.

wow.. you hit so hard it made your blade clear
Old 06-04-2008, 10:30 PM
shadowflyer101

lol, i guess so kaelan. i am actually not sure how that happened. kind of odd.

in any case, it sound like you and i are on the right page with the durability lvls on the plastics on the heli.
if i would have hit the ground at a different angle, i probable would have been up in the air within a swap of blades and feathering shaft.

only thing was i was coming in upside down and all the force went into the front of the main frame.

as soon as i get my parts in ill be back in the air in no time.

what carbon blades are you running? how do you like that danlions setup, and how hot is your motor after you fly?

lol, lets get this thread going. I am amazed about how little people own/know about this heli. it's a shame they waist all their money on childish trex's [:-]
Old 06-04-2008, 11:53 PM
xodarap1

what carbon blades are you running? how do you like that danlions setup, and how hot is your motor after you fly?
I'm running HDX 325 carbons on it, although the stock wood blades performed great. I'm not running a danlion setup. I got the HDX 3800 but am now testing an Esky 3800 on it with the 12T pinion. I tried it with an 11T and it ran too hot. My next stop will be to try the 13T on it to see what the temps will be like with the tc's dialed back. The motor gets warm now with the 12T, but not hot after flights. If i crank up the head speed in S2 and push hard tic tocs, the 30A HobbyWing ESC gets hot, so I've dialed things back a bit and usually fly two packs in the Dragon with a mix of S1 and S2, then switch over to the other helis while it chills out. I'm still looking for the perfect motor pinion setup that will allow me to run high tc's and push the heli hard for back to back packs without overheating the motor and/or ESC. It's not a heavy heli so I should be able to find a solid combo soon. But what an awesome heli for the money.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:20 PM
shadowflyer101

well, i am not daring enough to run an esky on mine, but ill tell you this. i have a outrage 25c pack (lighter than any battery i have ever used in 2200 range) a danlions motor, and a danlions esc. the battery would get warm, but not hot enough i could not hold my hand on it. motor, semi war/hot, and esc, semi-hot. this is all after doing straight tic-tocs flips and rolls for a solid 7 min, i had a 14t on mine, and had to bump it down to a 13t cause it was giving me more power than i needed, and im a power junky when it comes to heli. one of the best setups i have had yet, and all for just under $130 bucks. and with wooden blades.

so when your esky motor, or hdx motor burns out on you. seriously consider a danlions, just ask rusty about them and he will give you the same review as he did the dragonus. lol.
if i where you, i would not run the esky on that heli. it's prone to faile, expeshaly with any kind of 3D. you might as well buy a danlions, or any other type of motor and save yourself some repair cost.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:37 PM
xodarap1

Well, I've got 300 flights on this same Esky 3800 and it hasn't failed yet and I fly it hard. That's pretty good if its that bad of a motor
Most flights were with a Esky 25A ESC (which also has a bad rep around here for burning up)..and that's still going strong on my HBK2 too.
The Esky 25A outlasted a HobbyWing 30A ESC so it's earned its keep.
I have talked to Rusty about the danlions several times and i'm going to try one next time i need a motor, but as long as the blades spin and the heli has all the power i need to fly how i fly and this keeps working, i'm a happy camper.
What brand motor malfunctioned for you in that last crash?
Old 06-05-2008, 06:34 PM
shadowflyer101

well, at first i thought it was my danlions motor. but what happend was, after i did a 60 ft nose dive with my trex, i switched the esc over to my dragonus. unawair that it had been damaged, it had thrown the timing off and overheated the motor past it's safety point, and triggerd the power to cut off. the reasone i did not want to give out the name until i did a ferther investigation, is because i did not want to give this great motor a bad name.

as for the esky, lol, it's like a loto ticket. somtines you win, other times, you loose. in other words, people get good ones and bad ones that will die quick or live long. gess you lucked out.

but defanatly try out a danlions, i did not think i would ever stay with one brand of motor. but now, a danlions is all i run on all my 450 units now, and all to come. it's just a great motor.

also, when it's time to replace your battery, go for an outrage. you really want the newer lipo technoligy, and outrage offers just that. sooo lightwight it's un belivable

Name:	Bz78656.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	964524   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45479.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	964525  
Old 06-06-2008, 09:37 AM
xodarap1

Wow.. those crash pics were pretty cool! I'm surprised that the knight heads didn't break with the boom bent like that!

As for the Outrage batteries.., I've heard nothing but good about them so far and the 2200 25C's are priced right where the Kong Powers were that I got and they rock in the Dragonus. The Outrage's are much lighter though so they would be better i'm sure, but this heli has no problem blasting around with the Kong 2200's onboard.

I have plenty of batteries for the smaller helis right now so it will be a while until i buy more of them.

Hopefully when some of the buzz factor wears off, Outrage will lower the price on some of their larger packs.. and maybe their marketing department will consider the huge market for 3S 3000mAh and 3S 3300mAh packs right now lol.

Having a great new battery line up with all those choices and NO 3s 3000 or 3S 3300's at all is uhm.. Outrageous (sorry, couldn't resist lol)
Old 06-07-2008, 09:24 PM
shadowflyer101

someone jump in! lol. i am supprized so many people are missing out on this great machen.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:20 PM
shadowflyer101

well, ill start somthing up. here are some photos of my own coustum blue scotch tape paint job. and my revival, (via hammer) of my trex 450.

Name:	Ec89735.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	970475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96347.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	970476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88718.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	970477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58903.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	970478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bn76967.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	970479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zp94989.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	970480  
Old 06-16-2008, 04:30 PM
JacChr

Hi, I saw you talking about the Draganus and am now very happy I baught one two weeks ago. I am very new to RC Helis and still lerning every day about all kinds of things. I was wondering if you will be able to help me with my Draganus. I have Tower Pro 9g servos and a EK2 - 0704A E-Sky Gyro I tried flying it today but no luck, as I take throtle up and the heli starts lifting of the tail starts spining badly all around.

Before I atemted my first flight I mounted the heli on a plate with a bearing so it could move around if need be it was quit stable but now when I tried to get it to hover, like I said the tail spins vilantly in normal mode and HH mode.

Radio - DX6i

I know it must be a setting as I have seen some videos of the Draganus and it looks good.

Any help will be much appriciated.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:58 PM
UfcGuy39

Xodar,, How have ya been. I picked up on this post a bit, to go along with the Tuner (Shark) thread. I have been on the phone with Rusty

quite a bit over the last month or so, getting parts, etc. I was really amp'd up on the new Sjm 500 that is due out in the next few days or so. After talking to Rusty, I'm maybe leaning towards making the Sjm my third heli later down the road now. He has really hit me hard with the Dragonus, as a terrific bird. He had told me that you bought one, and all reports back were great. At the price, how can ya go wrong. I have been reading the comments in here, and I believe you guys made up my mind on my next 400 class bird. I like the availability of parts, and low repair costs from minor crashes, etc. From what I've heard from you all, this Heli is tough as nails.
Hopefully this thread will catch on, more guys will find this bird, and enjoy.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:20 PM
xodarap1

Hi UFC, I'm doing fine. Been busy and not online much, but have been able to get some flying time in most days.

I have my doubts about the hollow main shaft on the Dragonus being strong enough.. and i don't just mean in crashes.
The narrow servo sizes that must be used so the servo arms don't hit the frame is a limitation, but workable as long as servos that fit it are available.
The canopy mounts are located way back on the frame and although I'm sure I could relocate the mounting posts somewhere else more towards the front of the frame, it's a weird location and it seems to only serve the proprietary canopy.. which will be gone one way or another... soon.
Don't get me wrong, i love the little heli. It is great in the air and is as happy right side up or upside down.
..just a few things that I'd like to find a work around for, that's all.

JacChr, sounds like you have to either reverse the gyro and/or make sure your tail servo is set up properly. It's a basic tail setup. Check out the Finless videos and follow them step by step.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:39 AM
UfcGuy39

I did pick up a Dragonus NV II from Rusty, and I have to say I like this helicopter. It is so much lighter than my Shark. I'm waiting on some parts to come in from OK. yet, so I can finish her up. Have everything in the bird, except the head assembly. When shipped, the post office cut open the box and into parts bag pm-a. What would ya know, half of the head parts fell out of the box including the head block. So, here she is sitting, all painted and pretty, (with no head). Hopefully I will have the Dragon finished in a week or so and be able to fly. Will report back later on that.

Did you know that there is a Dragonus 500 in the works at this time. From what I've seen, some pretty cool upgrades - Head, etc.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:26 PM
xodarap1

Nope, I didn't hear about the Dragonus 500, but that would be cool.
I feel your pain man, I'm still waiting for the last two hds 877 servos so I can finally get the Dragon back in the air again.
Maybe they had limited stock or something and only sent 2 instead of 4.. i dunno.
I'm tempted to ditch a lot of these budget, back ordered, parts anyway and just go with the higher end electronics from now on that I can pick up at my LHS. The LHS is only two miles from my house and although it costs more, when I leave the building, the parts are with me lol.
I guess I could always take the esky servos out of my king 2 and end the wait.. but that would put my king 2 on a shelf..and that's not right because that little heli and I have history heheh.
The Dragon is a great heli though for sure.
Take care,
Steve
Old 08-06-2008, 08:09 PM
UfcGuy39

Hey ya Steve, The head came in, and I have it assembled. A little bit different, as I have CNC head and blade grips, metal washout,
mixed with the plastic stuff. Put a Zpower 3800 kv motor with a Hobbywing 30 esc and seperate bec. For now I am going to try out the stock woodies that came with the bird. Waiting on the rest of the electronics (servos, 6100 Rx, and gyro) from Rusty at this time. The Dragon is almost ready to go. I'm learning to really dislike my local Chicago postal service, as things seem to be taking forever lately getting here.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:13 PM
UfcGuy39

Did you order your Hds 877 servos from Helidirect? How do you like them? Are you running the same servo on the tail, inside the heli - or on the tail boom?
Old 08-07-2008, 07:56 PM
thestratcat
My Feedback: (12)

UfcGuy,

did you get your dragonus locally? I've been wanting ot look at one and possibly get one, they just look great!
Old 08-07-2008, 09:54 PM
UfcGuy39

I picked mine up from Rusty @ Castlerockhobbies. He is located in OK. USA Great guy, and turned me onto this bird. He just raved about it, while helping me with parts replacements for my Shark 450. I picked up the NV II Version from him after all of the good things I had heard about the Dragonus. I have it build now, well, about 85 % done. Waiting on a few of the electronics to finish her off.
Steve (Xodarap1) also picked his up from Rusty. As you can see, we are very pleased with this heli. I am a member of another Dragonus owners thread also. The guys there are also a great help with this bird. I talk with them from time to time, between 2 threads on the "other site", because one of them is a local (IL.) fliers group. PM. me later and I will hook you up if you want more info. You cannot go wrong with the Dragonus, and Rusty seems to have all of the parts needed for repairs and upgrading available at any short notice. Let him know that I sent you in his direction, if you decide to go for the Dragon.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:53 PM
xodarap1

Did you order your Hds 877 servos from Helidirect? How do you like them? Are you running the same servo on the tail, inside the heli - or on the tail boom?
I got the 877's from Rusty. I only have two of them and they have survived bench testing lol. I'm still waiting on the other two to come in so I can test them all out in the air. I'm not sure if Rusty is getting them from HD or not.
I guess I would really only need one more 877 at this point, but I originally had (4) DS 929BB servos that I bought from Rusty, but two of them crapped out (one even smoked/burned up).. on the first few flights. I sent the other two that still worked back to Rusty and during his first test he had another one fail.
I'm running a GY 401 gyro paired with a Futaba 9650 servo on the tail and it is great combo.
I have the servo mounted on the boom.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:58 PM
thestratcat
My Feedback: (12)

well guys, I think I am going to pick up a used one, I'll strip electronics out of my MX to make this one work

the price is right, I don't think I can beat it...
Old 08-19-2008, 03:00 AM
Optimus110103
My Feedback: (5)

Well guys I'm in. I have decided that being Rusty's friend, comes with the prerequisite of owning a Dragonus. he and I have spent hours on the phone talking about everything from helicopters, to cars, to boats, to women, and everytime I mention that I want to get a new Helicopter, He starts talking about the Dragonus. I am very new to the Heli scene and I only own one bird right now, a King. which I have beaten half to death and back. I decided I wanted a 450 class heli and took Rusty's advice. I told him to send me a dragon. After reading all the reviews, and seing the videos, I have to say I am excited about this bird!. I credit Rusty for hooking me up with it. I want to say thanks Rusty, for all you are doing to help me out and to make things feasible for me, It doesn't go unappreciated, and I wont let it go unnoticed.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:40 AM
xodarap1

Howdy,
I wanted to post this as soon as it was figured out and tested. The problem that I was having with the main shafts bending in flight was caused my me not having the programmable head set up correctly. I was on the phone with Rusty and he was telling me about another friend of his that pushes the Dragonus hard and hasn't had a problem with the main shafts bending in flight.. so.. i'm thinking "well, what the h$#%"? We went over the programmable head settings one by one and sure enough, mine was off by one. I made the correction and then flew the heli hard again and couldn't bend the shaft in flight anymore.

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=4000

(If you scroll down to the middle of the page to the "Adjustable Bell-Hiller Ratio for Different Types of Flying Pleasures" area.. for the 3D setup, I had one link going to A1 instead of A2.)

I wanted to apologize for my statements about the main shafts being a weak spot on the Dragonus. The real weak spot was me not setting up the heli properly. I'm very sorry for any negative feedback that I gave about the main shafts. The Dragonus is still much more enjoyable to fly than any T-Rex 450 I've flown and is an awesome bargain and I would not hesitate to buy another when I finally wear this one out.
Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.