Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Hitec Digital Servo Programming

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hitec Digital Servo Programming

I use the Hitec HPP 21 Plus+ to set the center point of my servos. In many cases the servo center and the servo arm splines don't end up with the servo arm at right angles to the control rod so I have to adjust the center with the HPP 21 Plus to make that happen. I use it in conjunction with a laptop and the Hitec downloaded servo testing/adjusting software. My question is after I set the center I need to set the left and right end points and I am not sure how much travel (a number in the software) I should set for the left/right end points. I would like to have it be the same as the default travel that is programmed by the factory. My needs are not complicated and do not include ganging servos and such just trying to make the control set up as good as possible.

Also, I do not have any difficulty using the downloaded software but I am stumped in using the HPP 21 Plus without the computer. I have tried to follow the directions but there is something I am missing when it comes to setting the end points. What would be helpful to me is a plain conversation that elaborates on the cryptic flow chart in the instructions. I apologize up front if I am the only one having this issue and will be glad to throw myself at the alter as as sacrifice if someone would help me figure this out. Thanks

Howard
Old 11-03-2010, 01:21 AM
capitalB
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hitec Digital Servo Programming

Great question!!! I ran into the same issue myself and still have no idea how much travel is O.K .It is hard to get the same as the factory defaults,especially frustrating when all you want to do is center the servo a few degrees! The problem is solved with my Aurora-9,as I do all the centering and reversing in the transmitter,works slick!!Brian
Old 11-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Brendan Lugo

45 degrees of travel off your new center point would get you back to "stock" settings. You will need to make a jig with a protractor and pointing device on a horn or buy the one servo city sells to make programming easier. http://www.servocity.com/html/servo_protractor.html

Old 11-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Howard

Brendan,

Very helpful thanks. Can you give me any hints on how to use the HPP 21 plus without my laptop to set the center and the end points. I try to follow the directions but something is missing,, what physical action actually sets the new center, and then what action sets the end point and how do you know if it is the left or right. Maybe it does not matter if both are now set to 45 deg from the new center.

Howard
Old 11-04-2010, 08:24 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

I see questions with regard to centering the servos often, with regard to the servo horn. What are you referencing for centering the servo arm, the servo case, hinge line or? In any event this is a common misnomer IMO. What is truly important is centering the servo in or of the surfaces travel arc. That said in nearly all cases you'll find the servo arm offset or favoring one side or the other when the servo arm is at the center of its respective travel arc. What we find is the surface linkage geometry is less than perfect with many variables that do not allow equal throw in either direction to garner equal surface deflection; accordingly we have to compensate for the mismatch by finding the travel arc center and centering the servo arm herein. While one can accommodate the unequal throw/deflection at the TX with software, it really is a mechanical thing first.

In a nutshell, using the TX requires unequal travel set points to garner equal surface deflections; accordingly your model may exhibit a more sensitive feel in one direction than the latter to compensate for the unequal travel arc of the servo arm(s). Works for some, but were really after equal servo arm travel arcs and surface deflections with equal TX stick deflection... This relatively easy to accomplish with a photo copied protractor fixed at the servo in play and a few minutes time.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:17 AM
capitalB
My Feedback: (36)

I was talking about +or- of a few degrees after getting the mechanical and linkage as close as possible,not to compensate for a poor set-up.The centers are so close on new ,good quality servos that it doesn't take much to match them up.I do like the protractor idea,and I will use it on servo pairs that need more than a little cetering adjust to keep the max throws even,but it is not often that you run a servo to 140% travel volume.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:03 PM
mglavin

capitalB

Not sure where you going with "The centers are so close on new, good quality servos" close to what one another, or? As I suggested previously there is KNOW magical center point, if the servo moves out of the box in equal amounts in travel volume or rotational degrees it’s centered unto itself as it should be. Weather this duplicates another servo it's incidental as every linkage set-up is peculiar to itself even on the same surface such as dual aileron servo set-ups. That said if you’re hard link ganging servos matching centers and end-points is paramount, but that’s another story.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:12 AM
Howard

ORIGINAL: mglavin

I see questions with regard to centering the servos often, with regard to the servo horn. What are you referencing for centering the servo arm, the servo case, hinge line or? In any event this is a common misnomer IMO. What is truly important is centering the servo in or of the surfaces travel arc. That said in nearly all cases you'll find the servo arm offset or favoring one side or the other when the servo arm is at the center of its respective travel arc. What we find is the surface linkage geometry is less than perfect with many variables that do not allow equal throw in either direction to garner equal surface deflection; accordingly we have to compensate for the mismatch by finding the travel arc center and centering the servo arm herein. While one can accommodate the unequal throw/deflection at the TX with software, it really is a mechanical thing first.

In a nutshell, using the TX requires unequal travel set points to garner equal surface deflections; accordingly your model may exhibit a more sensitive feel in one direction than the latter to compensate for the unequal travel arc of the servo arm(s). Works for some, but were really after equal servo arm travel arcs and surface deflections with equal TX stick deflection... This relatively easy to accomplish with a photo copied protractor fixed at the servo in play and a few minutes time.
My apology for not doing a better job of thoroughly explaining myself. My issue is not where to set the center but, what phyical act on the HPP-21 plus sets the new center. The flow chart (the instruction manual) for using the HPP-21 plus without a laptop does not make the process clear. Can you explain each step to take in the EPA setting that first sets the center then both end points. For some reason I don't get it.

When I use my laptop with the HPP-21 plus I set the center by making the servo arm (installed on the servo) perpendicular to the control rod. Usually each servo in conjuntion with the spline line up is slightly off of center and I then adjust that so that the servo arm is perpendicular and then I adjust the mechanical linkage to set the flight control surface at the neutral position. I have no trouble doing this when using my laptop but you are also suppose to be able to use the HPP-21 plus without the laptop to do the same thing and that is what I cannot figure out how to do. What are the actual phyical actions you do on the HPP-21 plus to make it happen. In other words would someone please explain the directions.

Howard
Old 11-05-2010, 07:16 AM
mglavin

Howard,

I'll see what I can do with a step by step explanation, I'll have to get out the programmer and work through it taking notes...

As I alluded to earlier, merely aligning the servo horn perpendicularly to the control rod serves KNOW purpose other than aesthetics… The goal is to center the servo arm in the center of the travel arc, not some arbitrary location with regard to the pushrod. I have some examples (drawings) I’ll try to locate and post them ASAP. Variables with hinge line, hinge line offsets, control horn location, control horn height, depth of or height of servo arm pivot and location all effect the requirements to center the servo arm in its respective travel arc.

Centering the servo arm in its travel arc garners equal throw in both directions at the surface and TX even with the variable anomalies of model specific set-up and the linkage ratios and geometry thereof. The extra steps required to achieve this are not absolutely required but afford the modeler a precision set-up if nothing less. Being able to deflect the joystick twenty degrees in either direction and realize like speed to a fixed deflection in degrees either side of center is again our goal without benefit of software and trims afforded via the TX. The mechanical set-up can do this with all ZEROED out at the TX. Using trims, offsets and curves skews the results and ultimately leaves you with unequal travel volumes and speed of the surface in play.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Brendan Lugo

ORIGINAL: Howard

Brendan,

Very helpful thanks. Can you give me any hints on how to use the HPP 21 plus without my laptop to set the center and the end points. I try to follow the directions but something is missing,, what physical action actually sets the new center, and then what action sets the end point and how do you know if it is the left or right. Maybe it does not matter if both are now set to 45 deg from the new center.

Howard
Scroll down tho EPA and press both the up and down edit buttons at the same time to enter that menu. adjust the dial for your center position and press and hold for a couple seconds both the up and down edit buttons to store this position (if you just press and release the buttons with out the hold it will just take you out of the programming mode). Next turn the dial to the left and press the up button to store this location. Now turn the dial to the right and press the down button. A quick press of both the up and down edit buttons will take you out of the EPA programming menu and back to be able to scroll to any other option using either the up or down buttons.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Howard

ORIGINAL: mglavin

Howard,

I'll see what I can do with a step by step explanation, I'll have to get out the programmer and work through it taking notes...

As I alluded to earlier, merely aligning the servo horn perpendicularly to the control rod serves KNOW purpose other than aesthetics… The goal is to center the servo arm in the center of the travel arc, not some arbitrary location with regard to the pushrod. I have some examples (drawings) I’ll try to locate and post them ASAP. Variables with hinge line, hinge line offsets, control horn location, control horn height, depth of or height of servo arm pivot and location all effect the requirements to center the servo arm in its respective travel arc.

Centering the servo arm in its travel arc garners equal throw in both directions at the surface and TX even with the variable anomalies of model specific set-up and the linkage ratios and geometry thereof. The extra steps required to achieve this are not absolutely required but afford the modeler a precision set-up if nothing less. Being able to deflect the joystick twenty degrees in either direction and realize like speed to a fixed deflection in degrees either side of center is again our goal without benefit of software and trims afforded via the TX. The mechanical set-up can do this with all ZEROED out at the TX. Using trims, offsets and curves skews the results and ultimately leaves you with unequal travel volumes and speed of the surface in play.
Michael,

Thanks for sticking with me and helping. I agree that just moving the servo arm to make it perpendicular with the control rod is not enough. You need to make the new center position the center of rotation and also have equal/full servo travel from the new center. From the laptop I set the new center (perpendicular to the control rod) and then set the new left and right end points. Brendan has informed me that to mirror the factory end points I should set them to 45 deg from center. I don't have a problem doing this from the laptop but, when using the HPP-21 plus without the laptop I am doing something wrong and can't seem to understand the directions that are provided.

Howard
Old 11-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Howard

ORIGINAL: Brendan Lugo

ORIGINAL: Howard

Brendan,

Howard
Scroll down tho EPA and press both the up and down edit buttons at the same time to enter that menu. adjust the dial for your center position and press and hold for a couple seconds both the up and down edit buttons to store this position (if you just press and release the buttons with out the hold it will just take you out of the programming mode). Next turn the dial to the left and press the up button to store this location. Now turn the dial to the right and press the down button. A quick press of both the up and down edit buttons will take you out of the EPA programming menu and back to be able to scroll to any other option using either the up or down buttons.
Brendan,

Thank you sir, I will give this a try. What you wrote makes perfect sense, lets see if I can make it work.

Howard
Old 01-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Mrs R

You said you used a note book to program with the HP-21+ did the blue light come on prior to use. I ask this as I switched mine on the light stayed off and the servo that was hooked up started to flutter.
a HS-7950tg. On hooking the servo back on to the receiver the servo flutters side to side approx. 5 Deg. when ever i move the trannsmitter stick and pause anywhere in its movement. Has this Happened to anyone else. Is
the servo ruined?????. First time user of the HP-21.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:47 AM
Brendan Lugo

Did you also have a battery plugged into the BATT port of the programmer? It must be there to power the programmer unit or you will not get the light. Do this and then us the reset function to return the servo back to factory specs.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Mrs R

yes a battery was hooked up to the programer. I should stress that when hooked up to the receiver with in 30 seconds the servo gets to hot to hold. I did try and reset the servo using the stand alone part of the programer.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:50 AM
Brendan Lugo

ORIGINAL: Mrs R

yes a battery was hooked up to the programer. I should stress that when hooked up to the receiver with in 30 seconds the servo gets to hot to hold. I did try and reset the servo using the stand alone part of the programer.
Sounds like it may be a defective servo then. Contact your distributor for service (Model Engines for Australia)