Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Waco?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Waco?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 12:21 PM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Waco?

Lastly, installed Futaba 3010's in wings and Hitec 645's for tail and elevators. Using JR 2.4 with Electro Dynamics charge switch and volt watch. I may re-work ailerons to just the lower wing and install a slave push-rod. that would eliminate the hasle of installing the top wing first at the cabanes and then install bottom wing after the wires are hooked up. Too bad it wont fit assembled in the Caravan, that would save a lot of work at the flying site. MM
Old 03-13-2011, 12:29 PM
cannonball200
My Feedback: (36)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone has'nt heard on the news;

BROWNSVILLE, Texas — A husband-wife aerobatics team suffered extensive burns when the engine on the aerobatics plane burst into flames, forcing them into a fiery crash-landing at a South Texas airshow.

Kyle and Amanda Franklin were airlifted to Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio after the Saturday accident.

Airshow spokesman Chris Hughston says doctors listed Amanda Franklin in critical condition but are "cautiously optimistic" of her recovery, while Kyle Franklin is in stable condition.

The incident happened at Air Fiesta 2011 at Brownsville-South Padre Island International Airport.

Hughston says Amanda Franklin was in the middle of her wing-walking act with her husband at the controls when the engine erupted in flames. She was able to scramble back into the plane and her husband made a crash landing as flames enveloped the biplane.

Kyle was flying the Waco "Mistery Ship". You can read about the plane and see pictures of it on their website below.. Her dad and Kyle's dad midaired in an airshow in Canada and were both killed in 2005. Jimmy Franklin and Bobby Younkin were best friends and doing their airshow airbatics when the accident happened in 2005.

Jimmy Franklin loved the Waco!!!!!!

Their website: franklinairshow.com

Thanks,

Old 03-13-2011, 12:49 PM
cannonball200

Mike;
I'm thinking about using slave rods anyway. I used them on my last Waco and they worked fine. It takes a little work to get the geometry right but then it works great.

Waco looks awesome too!
Thanks,
Old 03-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Caannonball,

When you are setting up the slave rods, you want the top slave rod to be right at the trailing edge. You want the bottom about 1/4" from the trailing edge
Old 03-13-2011, 02:32 PM
skillet92

stick I guess I don't understand, but would you not want the same distance so they would move the same.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: skillet92

stick I guess I don't understand, but would you not want the same distance so they would move the same.

The geometry is just far enough out of kilter to make the top aileron move further than the bottom aileron, given the exact same placement. The Stagger is what causes this. The top wing is ahead of the bottom which gives you positive stagger. It messes with the throw enough to require a little offset in the connection. Here is a photo of Dan's Waco which shows the angle. Like I said, the upper goes at the trailing edge, and the lower goes 1/4 inch from the trailing edge. Trust me on this, or set them up equally, and then go back and do it like I said. You will see what I mean if you do it equally. Then you will have an extra hole in your aileron to explain to those who ask.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64559.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1578272  
Old 03-13-2011, 04:05 PM
skylarkmk1

skillet92,

It partially has to do with the upper wing being offset forward (positive stagger) in relation to the lower wing and the fore - aft taper in the ailerons at the point of attachment. If the wings were at O° stagger and the ailerons were flat plates then you could mount the connecting rod at the same point top and bottom and they would move equally. As you move the stagger foreword the geometry changes enough that the attachment points need to be adjusted to get equal movement of the ailerons. The pictures show the points and brackets used by Waco. For the model, get a couple of toggle bolts of the correct size, take them apart and you have the brackets ready to mount.

Name:	He96960.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	1578287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54976.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1578288  
Old 03-13-2011, 04:23 PM
SkyPilot101

Stick &Sky, thank you very much for those nice tip's !
Old 03-13-2011, 04:37 PM
cannonball200

Stickbuilder;

Thanks for that info... I set up my Stearman but forgot how. I figured that you guy's had this setup at the first of the Waco forum where I read all the info as to how different builders have done.
Thanks,
Old 03-13-2011, 07:02 PM
kochj

This is also a option, for slaving the ailerons.
This was done on a ultimate. .
Being they are on the ends of the ailerons, the movement will be the same.
I would think this is what you are aiming for.

If you make hardwood blocks in the aileron, you can adjust the in/out of the slave/master hinge, to make the movement the same deg. of movement.

Name:	Vt56085.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1578366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81862.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1578367  
Old 03-13-2011, 08:34 PM
skylarkmk1

kochj,

Your method is all well and good for an Ultimate, but is not scale on a Waco (there are no parts hanging out of the trailing edge on a Waco). What Stickbuilder and I have recommended is the Scale way of doing it on a Waco. I believe that most of the guys who opt to put the aileron connecting rods on want to enhance the scale looks of the Waco. It just does not look right without them.

Retro fitting the scale fitting is a fairly simple affair by mounting the brackets on the aileron and fitting the connection rod. Your method seems to require some surgery on the plane.

The Ultimate is a much higher performance single seat plane, derived from the Pitts and is capable of manuvers not done in a Waco when both are flown in a scale manner. The Ultimate was designed as an acrobatic plane for air shows and such . The Waco was designed as a 3 passenger plane mostly for point A to B flying or just flying around the local area. Some were converted to crop dusters and some even did some barnstorming aerobatics but cannot do what the Ultimate does. That they are both bi-planes is about all they have in common, like apples and oranges, they both grow on trees.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:27 AM
makke

Hi,thanks Chuck for the hint!
I got the .60 size,1/6th scale Waco YMF-3 builded from a Pica kit in 1993 and I'm still flying it today.The kit had the badest wood I ever found to built a plane:soft,bend,badly fiiting wood etc. But after doing lots of effort on the wood it turned out to be a great flying bipe!
When I can find this new ARF Waco over here in Europe I'll buy it right away,the Waco is a real joy to fly!
Anyone knows a distributor here?
If you like to see my Waco pics check out makke.rcuniverse.com and watch "Gallery"

Have a great flying time!
Old 03-14-2011, 04:07 AM
rcflyerjoe
My Feedback: (16)

JUST IN CASE ANYONE HAVING A G-26 LAYING AROUND, IT WILL FIT IN THE WACO JUST FINE. HERE ARE PICTURES OF MINE. STILL HAVE NOT HAD TIME TO FLY IT YET.

Name:	Ge94776.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1578497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79622.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1578498  
Old 03-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Airbear

Did a quick run over of 13 pages of text and I have to ask. How is the top wing attached. I,m getting tired of cutting into wings and having to reenforce them to keep them attached. I,ve had two biplanes and had to fix both planes to keep the top wings on. Just hope they took care of this before hand.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:52 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: MormonMike

First, Yes, the dummy engine is out until the first flight, check for any engine or mount problems then I'll install it. Upper cabane screws are a pain to install, just like the GP Super Stearman. There is quite a bit of bend stress pushing wing down to the rear top cabane mounts. With 0 degree incidence on horizontal tail and bottom wing, the meter shows 1 degree neg incidence on top wing. That should get the bottom wing flying before the top wing. Your comments on this please. Use 24'' or better 30'' extension for left top wing. 12 inch barely makes it to the access slot. Last, just no way to hide the top wing servo wires going down into the fuse. Comments on that one too please. Just too difficult to make a scale tail wheel that would work. What do you guys think of my alternate install Gotta go, MM
Possible you have the cabane's reversed? You should not have to put much pressure on to get them to line up. I know on the GP Stearman they put the little arrows on backwards for a while and it created the same problem. Looks good for an assembled plane Oh my did I say that?[X(]
Old 03-14-2011, 02:07 PM
SkyPilot101

Can't wait to see one up on the wing!

I thought he built it from the pieces in the box.

Sorry, I just can't seem to help myself!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:51 PM
cannonball200

Good Job Joe with the 26 on the GP Waco!!!!! I'll bet that will work good....

I'm using the DLE 20 on mine. I just ordered a Jtek muffler for it. Kevin @ Jtek makes a special muffler for the AeroWorks Cessna 195 for a DLE 30 engine. He said he could do that muffler for me to fit the DLE 20. I ordered it while ago.
The pipes exit straight down for the look I wanted. The muffler is 3/4 in thick @ the back side. I have 1 1/8 in between the rear of engine and the fiberglass firewall surrounding. The muffler is a little pricey but I'll just have to do without food for a few days. I could stand to lose a few #'s anyway.
Here are a couple of pic's to explain.
Thanks,

Name:	Hf99615.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1578776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68584.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1578777  
Old 03-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Stickbuilder

Here is a photo of my Cabane set up on the Much Modified Waco that I'm doing. You can see that the Cabanes are made from Brass and have been silver brazed. The bungs are silver brazed in place and the thread is 8-32. The threaded padeyes are adjustable, and I can set the incidence of the top and bottom wings with no difficulty. The wing center sections will remain with the fuselage, and the wing panels will slide into position and lock in place. The cross section of the Cabanes is oval as is the original. Like I said, there is virtually not one part on this one that has not been modified.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Name:	Mk25149.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	1578790  
Old 03-14-2011, 04:14 PM
raptureboy

Excellent work! I really do admire you guys that can build from scratch and I understand the whole labor of love thing. I've built my own cabinets and furniture and have been a finish carpenter most of my life, but I don't beleaguer people over the fact, just because they buy their furniture already made or in a "sub assembled" state. Some of us just have no desire to build from scratch and our reasons are many, so we buy arfs and they suit us just fine and if we want to we can bash em up into something better or we can just bash em into the ground and it's no great loss. Why must the kit and scratch builders get in on an arf thread and bust people for buying an arf and calling it a build???? I have arfs to practice my crashing on and kits to practice my building. Please share your knowledge and skills by all means, but leave the my plane is better than your plane attitude in the school yard.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:33 PM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Well, I would'nt say we can bash them into the ground, no great loss, The wife might have a little difference of opinion on that . $$ The bench is cleared, here comes flying season and to the Devil with gas prices. Maiden on Saturday !! MM

Name:	ay73448.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	3.57 MB
ID:	1578853   Click image for larger version

Name:	qo40022.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	3.54 MB
ID:	1578854  
Old 03-14-2011, 04:46 PM
raptureboy

Yea I know what ya mean, my wife knows the look on my face when I lose one to the ground gremlins[>:] I don't want to talk about it! Can't wait to see this baby fly! figures I just bought the GP Pt-17 Stearman in Jan[:@] Why didn't I see this baby then[:@][:@]
Old 03-14-2011, 04:55 PM
raptureboy

Hey MM I think you need a few more planes in your basement, I can still see the floor Good luck on that maiden ! My PT-17 is almost built...I mean assembled.. ah I mean put together ah.. ah.. ehhh... oh it 's Almost Ready to Fly. Sorry i couldn't resist. HAVE FUN with it.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:48 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

Excellent work! I really do admire you guys that can build from scratch and I understand the whole labor of love thing. I've built my own cabinets and furniture and have been a finish carpenter most of my life, but I don't beleaguer people over the fact, just because they buy their furniture already made or in a ''sub assembled'' state. Some of us just have no desire to build from scratch and our reasons are many, so we buy arfs and they suit us just fine and if we want to we can bash em up into something better or we can just bash em into the ground and it's no great loss. Why must the kit and scratch builders get in on an arf thread and bust people for buying an arf and calling it a build???? I have arfs to practice my crashing on and kits to practice my building. Please share your knowledge and skills by all means, but leave the my plane is better than your plane attitude in the school yard.

That's like asking why does the sun rise in the east, or why do dogs chase cats. They just do.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 03-15-2011, 06:45 AM
Steve Graham

Hi All,

Just got this kit. It will be awhile before I "assemble" it as I have about 10 other projects in the mill right now.

For those of you that changed the tailwheel, did you find there to be good structure to mount to in the fuse? I will probably fit a carbon tiller style to mine. It aggravates me that these companies put out a very nice model and then virtually guarantee problems by using a tailwheel design that transfers all of the tail gear forces directly to the CA rudder hinges.

I also will likely use the new O.S. 155 four stroke on mine.

Overall like the plane and what I see so far but I made the mistake of contacting hobico services with the above items. I was really disappointed with the response. Here is my note and the response. Note the threat outlined in Red below. These guys are too much.

Dear Sirs,

I recently acquired this ARF from my LHS. First off I wanted to congratulate you on what at this point appears to be a beautiful model. The construction and fiberglass look to be first rate. I'm looking forward to flying this model and think it will make the other guys at the field quite jealous! The LHS owner is also going to be assembling one and we plan to fly them together.

I have a question and a comment.

We live at 5500 feet MSL and I'm considering the OS 155 four stroke. This engine looks to be very close in size to the 120. Do you see any problems with fitting this engine to the model?

The tailwheel on this plane I do not consider adequate for a model that will be closer to 15 pounds than 10. I will be attempting to retrofit a tiller style tailwheel that is mounted to the fuselage. Hopefully there is enough structure back there to mount one to. You've probably heard this before and perhaps you feel this design is OK in practice but I have two fundamental problems with it. 1) It transfers all of the landing stresses to the delicate rudder hinges and 2) It provides no shock relief for the rudder servo gears. I know we are not supposed to land on the tailwheel but the simple fact is that modelers occasionally make less than graceful arrivals and this design is quite unforgiving in my experience. I don't expect you to redesign this model but wanted to give you this modelers perspective for what its worth.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond and again overall I really am liking most of what I see so far.

THE RESPONSE

Thank you for your recent email.

I'm sorry, but I can't recommend an engine outside the engine range for the model. If you used a larger engine it could void your warranty.

As for the tail wheel assembly, it passed all of our R&D Departments test flying and we have not heard of issues with it. If you want to upgrade to something you can, but we don't see any need to change it from our testing.

I hope you find this information helpful. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at this email address. (Please be sure to copy all previous emails into any future questions.) You can also reach our product support technical team at 217-398-8970, or via fax at 217-398-7721.

DID YOU KNOW that our web pages now all contain FAQs? (Frequently asked questions) Please drop by and take a look! We hope you'll find the information helpful and valuable to you.

This email is personal and confidential. It may not be copied in part or in whole other than in a reply to the sender. Copying this email to other emails or public forums is not permitted.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:53 AM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

W.W. Corrigan,

What you outlined in red is not a threat. I get that same notice on every email I get from my own dad. He works for a city owned hospital, and that same statement is added by the email system to EVERY email that is sent. It is NOT a personal threat to you- it's just business.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.