Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

RC multihulls?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

RC multihulls?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:19 AM
pitch pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC multihulls?

Hi aardvark, not to sure what to say...... So was it your brother i bought it from?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:44 AM
aardvark_issues

Not entirely sure - Maybe his idea of chucking it out was car booting it! Either way, have fun with it. It wasn't something I was planning on resurrecting at any point so as long as it gets some good use!

The boat originally had the sheeting in a continuous loop out to the float but this made the sheeting a bit one sided in lighter airs so an internal loop was used which is what the hole in the bow was for. It had the basic Hitec 785 in which was more than enough to drive sails that size. 10mm kite tube should do nicely for the mast and booms and the clear sails in the pics here were made from florists wrapping film. Bit light for my tastes but it is cheap...
Old 06-10-2011, 11:47 AM
tricat

Hi pitch pole, Regarding the foam floats,Yes they are very firm in fact they save my centre hull from damage!!!!!Comments like Are those thing stablisers on yer boat ?[:-]
The 1m multi has sailed in heavy weather so bad that it was blown off the top of a wave,cartwheeled and carried on sailing.The floats lasted for about 2year.s before they needed replacing
Please don't get me wrong,a multihull designed as such will have a better performance overall.The pleasure my multi gives me is reward enough.
Yes I have seen the photo's of your multihull,I look forward to seeing you enjoying it now that it's pedegree is known you should have no problems
Regarding the foam floats I still have some sketches of how to give them a bow and stern plus the design for the attachment of the cross beams.
Regarding the sails As Aardvark says your local flower shop should sell it at about 50p to £1 per metre length,It can tear easily though.I have not used it on the 1m
as I do not think they would last long enough in the present weather that I sail in.
Regards Tricat

Old 06-10-2011, 12:27 PM
tricat

Hi pitch pole It's me again Tricat. Re the winch that I use,It is a Hitec HS-765 HB Arm winch. on the 1m multi.It can handle a swingrig 970 sq. ins of sail where the main is low aspect ratio sail with a massive mainsail, in winds around 12mph easily,it has not let me down and get around 2hrs of sailing before a battery change. As an ex dingy sailer I find that it can be used to flick the sail over to the opposite tack when jibing,its speed of response is good and the price was around £25 - £30 and was bought at the local model shop.Considering the strain the large mainsail puts on it I think it should be OK.The sheeting is very simple indeed needing 1 pully and u shaped deck tube the sheet from the winch has the pulley on the end.the main sheet comes from the boom
to the sheeting post through the eye round the pulley then tide off on the sheeting post.Sail ajustment is on the boom.The arm supplied with the winch will need to be shortened to around 2.25".
I used this method and type of winch when I raced a DC95 1m monohull,It never let me down.Hoping this gives you an idea of what can be used in the way of winches
regards Tricat
Old 06-11-2011, 01:37 AM
pitch pole

Hi Tricat, The thought of using an arm rather then a drum had crossed my mind.... AGAIN going back to my youth i use to have a powerfull giant servo in a 1m, which was fast and cheap. Still undecided as yet?
I my self have come from a back ground of sailing high performance dighys, mono and multi. Going to be intersting to see how much of my expierance transfers and differs with a model. And as for the people who make lame jokes about your mods, well one lap of the race course should make them think twice, anyone can sail a boat with a lump on the bottom to keep it up right ( becomes dull very quickly!!)
At the end of the day its FUN for you Maybe more people should start converting there out of date 1m's? No rules class - regarding sail area, weight ect, just cant be longer than 1m, trimaran -cat or hydrofoil, SIMPLES. Ok so my boat might have more sail area, but that increases my chances of capsize.Its not about what game you play it how you play it!! Multihulls should be about pushing the line and having a scream in the mean time.

Going back to the sails, so the red ones on your 1m tri are made from??? Flower wrapping plastic?
What do you use for batterns ( and do they have pre bend)
And do you use sail tape for luff ect?
Shrouds are made from what grade wire?
And your sheets?

So much to think about, Plan to run two sets of sails from one mast.

Kind regars cliff
Old 06-14-2011, 07:16 AM
tricat

Hi pitch pole, Only the 65m has FLOWER POWERsails,though my mentor uses them because of the larger area required on his top rig when experimenting
with size/shape and flow.Today we were checking out the 65m against his 1m multi as it was very turbulent wind of little strength.When it blew a little he pulled away,but at times I managed to keep up with him [:-].I think the very light wind plus his heavier material in his sails made the difference,as soon as the wind
increased he was off.I aim to get the new floats fitted to the 65m this week,also I hope to try out a 1m centre hull I built last yearl,a 1m version of the 65m As you said lots to think about.
Regards Tricat
Old 06-28-2011, 12:08 AM
pitch pole

Hi Tricat, How did the testing of the new floats and main hull go? Managed to get my hull half way home from cornwall to nottingham, hope to bring it back this weekend and start work. Not in to bad shape, sanding and filling then a respray and she will be ready for the rigging You say you use to sail full size multis, what were these? Been thinking about the effect a wing mast has on a hull size boat. On the flower power sails, what do you use for batterns?
Old 06-28-2011, 07:17 AM
tricat

Hi Pitch Pole,The testing went well showing a very good turn of speed,they acted well when pressed hard.It released the drive force wasted
on trying to drive a blunt nosed lee float.This showed up as not cocking the stern up in gusts,and lifting the nose up a little.The bad news is that today I tripped over a rug and landed on top of the them whilst strengthing the attachment points on them.[&o]One was wrecked altogether,the other was bent sideways,being of depron foam it was rendered useless dash and bother I saidGood job they were not fitted to the centre hull at the time.I will make some more when I get more material.
Flower power sail battens,on the 65m I use 1/4 inch wide strapping tape from parcels if I can get it.I also use 1/2 inch wide strapping that comes from fridge packing for the gaff batten.They have a weave pattern on some others are plain.Contact adhesive seems best as I have lost some battens if they get submersed when using double sided sail seam tape,though I think that it is the batten material rather than the tape
because some do stick ok,but others do not,which is which I don't know.The other batten material is the very thin carbon fibre rod sold for indoor model aircraft,but this is best in batten pockets put in in the sail making panels.
thats about all for now.
Regards Tricat
Old 06-30-2011, 01:08 AM
pitch pole

Hi aardvark, You say you used the # 3 rig from a mini 40? which photo can i see that in, white hull or green? What was the hight of the mast and how far up the mast was the head of the jib? Like the videos from the last meeting, good work 8-) thanks again
Old 06-30-2011, 01:12 AM
pitch pole

Hi sorry forgot to ask, on the flower power sails what did you use for battens and taping the luff ect?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:32 AM
Idealist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RC Multihull European Open:
Just ended.

Lots of great videos:
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...=1#post2414456

If anybody shouldn´t be aware of it -
the white/orange Mini40 tri is a "Nightmare Mk.VIII"
designed by me.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:16 PM
aardvark_issues

Green hull was the mini40 rig. I think it was about 1.3/1.4M. I'd go to that height, but maybe not as much foot length on main or jib - would probably end up looking a bit like the white hull shots anyway.Cheers
Old 07-04-2011, 11:53 PM
pitch pole

Ok great thanks for that, So you say the sheets ran inside the hull up to the bow? Was that a two to one block sheeting. Kind regards
Old 10-24-2011, 04:46 AM
Idealist

Anyone interested in the new MOD 70 Class - Multihull One Design?

I thought about a 1/10 scale model,
which would be 2.12 m length overall and 1.68 cm width then.

Should look quite impressive on the water.

Here is the official homepage:
http://www.multionedesign.com/en/

Including lots of construction pics - hot!

Idealist
Old 10-24-2011, 11:39 AM
NaveganteRJ

Dear Idealist,
I am very interested in build a model of MOD 70 class but I don`t have skill to design by myself.
Do you know someone that is or will be design the plans for this models???
I would like to buy this plans
Best regards
Jose - naveganteRJ
Old 10-24-2011, 12:16 PM
F1madness

Hey guys been reading this thread for a awhile,is ther any1 who has a set of plans for a trimaran or cat
fancy a challenge and somthing different rather than building fast boats
be great if some1 could help
Cheers f1
Old 10-25-2011, 01:28 AM
Idealist

Hello there,
the plans are here:
www.rcsails.com/multihulls.htm

Nightmare Mk.VII + Mk.VIII -> Mini40 class
and two RT 65 -> 65 cm class
designed by me,
Ernst Zemann

Plans of the new MOD 70 class at 1/10 will also come from me soon!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:59 AM
NaveganteRJ

Dear Idealist,
Will be great and I am waiting for your design of the MOD 70.
Best Regards
Jose - naveganteRJ
Old 10-25-2011, 06:05 PM
USCA-PAUL

Have any of you guys thought about building a wing sail. Like the new AC cats.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:56 AM
NaveganteRJ

Dear Paul,
Your idea about the wing mast looks interesting, but I think that will be a complete new boat because the MOD 70 don`t use then, but could be very new and also can work like a real model for the original MOD 70 change for the wing mast in the near future.
Somebody need to design one model for all boat that become build.
Regards
Jose - NaveganteRJ
Old 11-14-2011, 03:37 AM
Idealist

Important update on the new MOD 60 Trimarans!!!

Through some secret channels from my old times as a shipwright
I just received precise plans which are NOT available via the Internet!

These plans are so precise,
they can be redrawn now to build a true 1:10 scale model,
or for the Mini40 class, as well as for the 2M class.

But this time they will not be for free.

Please tell me if/how much of you are interested!
[email protected]

General dimensions of the real ones:
Length overall 21,2 m
Beam overall 16,8 m
Hull draft 4,50 m
Mast rake 4°
Air draft 29 m
Light deplacement 6,3 T
Up-wind sail area 310 m2
Down wind sail area 409 m2
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13917.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1686560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38708.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1686561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50577.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	1686562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey71239.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	1686563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te47336.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	1686564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yo91818.gif
Views:	47
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1686565  
Old 11-14-2011, 01:02 PM
NaveganteRJ

Dear Idealist,
I sent an e-mail for you from my e-mail ([email protected]) about the subject of your post about the MOD 70
Regards
NaveganteRJ
Old 12-26-2011, 05:05 PM
GLX

Idealist, with your experience in building tri would the original drawing of these simply magnificent boat work in model version. I know in France we tried this before quite a few years back at the time of the orma 60 and the cobra (mini40) was born and it didn't work well as though it looks great ashore on the water the boat didn't have enough volume forward and was a handful to keep up right as I tested then in endurance racing. scratch design like the adzif worked so much better with the volume more forward.2m of these beauty would be some spectacle on the water alright... how much would you be looking for 1/10 drawings and do you think they'll work as well in that scale as the full size one ?how do you think they'll work on the sea with more choppy waters than lack condition ?