Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 06:50 PM
camaro101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

ORIGINAL: camaro101

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

If you are serious about flying pattern, get a 2M plane. You already have a small pattern plane. If you get a 1.10 size, you will find yourself going to contests and dreaming about a 2M plane.

You can't go wrong with the Vanquish. The 2M Osiris might be out soon. Can't go wrong with the Monolog, either.

Haha in light of me misunderstanding the rules I was just going to look at a 110 wind haha until you posted this

I think. Your right though if I do get less then 2m I will be sitting around wishing I had a 2m

Hmmmmmmm I can't decide at all

Is there a build thread on a mono anywhere?
The Vanquish would probably run you the same amount of money, and give you more flexibility with setup and component choices.

Thanks

Yea the vanquish is what I'm leaning towards

Should i do a himax in it?

I just hate the color scheme on the vanquish and the blue and pink one is not due in until october

I think that will most likely be the way i go
Old 08-24-2012, 03:21 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were you, having flown a Vanquish with the stock Torque motor, and also one with the HiMax in it, I would lean towards the HiMax. It definitely has more power. Pair it with a Castle ICE2 80HV and you are all set. Very easy setup. If you have any questions on it, please don't hesitate to ask,

Arch
Old 08-24-2012, 09:47 AM
david hancock

Good day Arch, you have me worried with your last comment. I read your build thread on the Vanquish. I just purchased the Vanquish and the Torque motor. From the comments you made ref the Himax motor, have I made a mistake buying the torque motor? I will never fly FAI. Do you still back your statements in the build thread that this plane with the torque motor is competative in the other classes?

Dave
Old 08-27-2012, 08:14 AM
luckymacy

ORIGINAL: rcpattern

If I were you, having flown a Vanquish with the stock Torque motor, and also one with the HiMax in it, I would lean towards the HiMax. It definitely has more power. Pair it with a Castle ICE2 80HV and you are all set. Very easy setup. If you have any questions on it, please don't hesitate to ask,

Arch

What is the exact HiMax motor and Battery setup are you speaking of? Links would be a quick help. I too like the looks of the Vanquish and there's a good video of one flying with a Hacker on 6S out of Germany that looked pretty capable so it's got me wondering what alternative setups I could use to power the plane and get 8 to 9 minutes out of a flight.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:03 AM
rcpattern

ORIGINAL: luckymacy

Arch

What is the exact HiMax motor and Battery setup are you speaking of? Links would be a quick help. I too like the looks of the Vanquish and there's a good video of one flying with a Hacker on 6S out of Germany that looked pretty capable so it's got me wondering what alternative setups I could use to power the plane and get 8 to 9 minutes out of a flight.
I was referring to the HiMax 210 setup from F3A unlimited. Flying this plane on 6S would be a HUGE amp draw. I have flown it on the usual 10S setup with a Castle ICE2HV 80 setup,

Arch
Old 08-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: luckymacy

Arch

I was referring to the HiMax 210 setup from F3A unlimited. Flying this plane on 6S would be a HUGE amp draw. I have flown it on the usual 10S setup with a Castle ICE2HV 80 setup,

Arch
My thoughts on this (based on my experience flying and experimenting with other planes) is that:
1) the plane was designed specifically for 10S. The plane was flight tested and adjusted with that setup in mind, so it has been 'optimized' for 10S
2) 6S setup, as Arch said, will be HUGE current draw to get reasonable power. This is much harder on the power system and runs in a much less efficient power band. It will generate more heat and require 'higher end' batteries with higher C ratings and longer life expectancy.
3) I was given so much advice, and still tried to experiment with power setups. My most valuable lesson learned: Do whatever is working for the masses. If 99% of the guys are flying the Himax on 10S, DO IT!! You will then be able to troubleshoot with people and will know what to expect. It WILL cost you more money by trying to take a shortcut.

I called for an Advanced pilot flying the Vanquish over the weekend. It looked really great, he had some really solid flights. There is no need to try to change anything.

[link=http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_21&products_id=332]Himax Motor[/link]
[link=http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_24&products_id=50]Castle ESC[/link]
Choose your favorite 5S battery packs and wire them in series.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:30 PM
luckymacy

I too am looking for a 2m pattern plane. Not because I compete but because I enjoy how they fly AND as I've gotten older my eyes don't enjoy the littler planes (I have the GP Sequence f3a now). So I want the size for 'visibility and enjoyment'. With that in mind, I don't feel guilty about not spending money or time trying to get the last 5% or 2% out of the setup if I don't want to. Heck, I'd be happy with a 2m pattern running with a DLE 35, perfect for what I do. With that in mind, why is no one recommending the silver bullet f3a motor and Airboss 80 Elite ESC that the vanquish was spec'd for? Have we learned something negative about them over time? Also, are folks putting in any alternate power source for the servos and receiver?
Old 08-27-2012, 04:53 PM
rcpattern

I built the Vanquish at the beginning of this thread with the silver bullet. The ESC wasn't available at that monent, so I used the Castle. The Torque works fine. The HiMax has more power for virtualky the same cost. The Torque does work and I am sure the Airboss ESC does as well. You can use cheap 10s packs (dual 5s) and it will work fine. If you read the beginning, you will see that I intentionally didn't use the latest and greatest stuff. I used good, but economical stuff. As I did in the thread, I would definitely use a separate receiver battery. When you invest this much in a plane, the cost of a little redundancy is minimal.

Arch
Old 08-27-2012, 05:08 PM
luckymacy

I built the Vanquish at the beginning of this thread with the silver bullet. The ESC wasn't available at that monent, so I used the Castle. The Torque works fine. The HiMax has more power for virtualky the same cost. The Torque does work and I am sure the Airboss ESC does as well. You can use cheap 10s packs (dual 5s) and it will work fine. If you read the beginning, you will see that I intentionally didn't use the latest and greatest stuff. I used good, but economical stuff. As I did in the thread, I would definitely use a separate receiver battery. When you invest this much in a plane, the cost of a little redundancy is minimal.

Arch
Thanks for the reply but are we talking about the same himax motor? The link above is to one that's about $100 more than the silver bullet. Himax 6330-210 F3A Motor (210KV) $279.99. For the silver bullet motor or even the himax in the link, what C rating 5 cell pack is the minimum safest to use and is there a generally preferrred place to order the packs from other than HK? You wouldn't by chance be flying in the next couple of days? I'm out of the area soon but wouldn't mind checking the setup out before ordering.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:36 AM
rcpattern

We are having a contest here in MD this weekend. Feel free to come on down. Your are talking about the right motor. I didn't realize it was that much more. That is my fault. At one time I know the Silver Bullet was 219, and I was thinking the HiMax was 239 or something. Prices do change though. I personally don't fly the Vanquish any longer. I have a pair of Nuances that I fly now. I did the Vanquish build thread, but a friend is actually flying the plane now as he lost his last year. Anything of 20C or high is more than adequate for normal pattern flying. I know a lot of guys have had good luck with the Sky Lipo and Blue Lipo stuff from Hobby Partz. The F3A unlimited packs are a little more expensive, but not as expensive as the top end stuff, and their stuff works awesome. F3A unlimited is in northern, VA near Dulles airport. I know they will be at my contest this weekend and you would see a lot of different setups and I'm sure a Vanquish or two, and a couple of Monologs. All with varying setups. Come on down and ask any question you'd like. Upper classes will run better packs as they tend to hit them much harder. I fly 5-6 days a week though, so I'm always available if you want to come down.

Here is a link to the contest thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11199503/tm.htm

Arch
Old 08-28-2012, 04:07 AM
luckymacy

Thanks. Any other weekend this summer would have worked but I leave town Thursday and won't be back until mid next week! Figures...

Darn, if you fly today or tomorrow and your buddy with the Vanquish comes out let me know, I'd like to take a look at it. F3AUnlimited is supposed to be getting back to me with info on if/when they are going to get the full size Mythos in. I like the lines of the 125 but would rather have the full size - easier to see in flight. Hard to believe it's easy for a full 2m plane making the weight with an additional lipo/regulator to feed the servos/Rx and with large 10s pack(s) for the motor based on what i hear on all up weights. I'm interested in seeing details about lightweight alternate battery source that makes sense for the Rx/servos that doesn't need recharging after every 2 flights...

What's the typical ratio these days of higher level pattern flyers at contests with electric vs glow fuel? That's another curiousity I have. I had a love hate relationship with YS AC engines back when I tried to fly contest pattern. The joke was you needed at least 3 engines. One in your plane ready to break at any inconvenient moment, the spare you had at a contest for when your primary broke, and the third back at the OS repair center getting fixed...it was't far from the truth for the most serious flyers...

What's the equivalent Hacker motor to the silver bullet? As is obvious, I already fly electric a little but I don't 'study' it, I just get what they recommend and live with it. But for this new plane, I want to put independent thought into setting it up hence why I'm doing research and asking probably dumb questions to any who's gone down this path already. BTW, are the monolog and the vanquish essentially identically presenting planes and equally capable and equally well made?
Old 08-28-2012, 04:31 AM
rcpattern

The guy with the Vanquish is actually up near Buffalo, he isn't local. The normal ratio here in the states is probably 75-25 at least in favor of electrics. Some districts it varies slightly, but for the most part electrics are prominent. There is very little size difference in the MythoS 125 and the 2m Mythos. It is only a couple of inches. I wouldn't say it is necessarily easy to make weight, as you have to be smart and think things through. If you use the stuff people recommend you can make weight, but you see guys changing things up and buying everything heavy and then you have to be careful.

On an average electric flight, we are only using about 40mah per flight for servos and receivers. With no vibration the servos aren't constantly trying to find center. You can easily fly 6-8 flights on a 500mah pack. On a typical glow setup, it is easily over 200mah per flight. Equipment also last significantly longer because of the lack of vibration.

There are a couple of Hackers that are close. The A60 series has a couple, but I don't know specifically which ones they are. There are a lot of different options out there and they all seem to work. Some have a little more power, such as the Hacker Q80, Pletty Advance, and the Neu/Hacker inrunners, but you will pay more for those. The HiMax, and the Hacker A60 seem to be very good alternatives at much more reasonable prices. The Torque motor seems to be the cheapest, but having flown it compared to the others, it also has the least power, but it still has more than enough for most the AMA patterns and with good batteries and speed management, it will fly the Masters sequence relatively well. I guess what I'm getting at it is there are currently a LOT of viable options out there. At contests you will see quite a few combinations and they all work very well. The key is figure out what you plane you like, then put good servos (this is KEY), and then find a cost effective, but proven power setup, and then go fly.

The Monolog is a little bit newer design and as such is a little larger plane. It definitely presents slightly larger in the air. They both fly very well though, and it is more of a which one do you prefer thing as opposed to which is better. They are both well made and both will make weight. The Monolog seems to be a little lighter overall, but not by a great deal. You really can't go wrong with either. Right now, the Monolog's seem easier to get, and Chris is not too far from you. Several of us get together in Northern, VA regularly, and you are welcome to come down then and fly as well.

Arch
Old 08-28-2012, 06:47 AM
rix

What Archie is telling you about the Vanquish is good advice. I went with most of his equipment recommendations when I purchased mine last winter and it has worked out well. The Himax 210 has been bullet proof and is reliable with plenty of power and is a direct fit with no mods necessary using the inner three pre-drilled mounting holes . If you use the blue spacers that come with the motor against the firewall on the motor side it gives you a perfect fit for your back-plate and spinner. Mounting the motor takes about ten minutes. The Hacker Q60 is a direct fit as well using the pre-drilled outer 4 blind nuts. Use good servos and your choice of a redundant rx power system and you will get hundreds of care free flying time. This is what I use on mine:

Motor - Himax 210
Prop - personal choice but I use the wide blade variety APC 20.5x12W, APC 21x13W and I am going to test a Mejzlik 20.5x12WEL (wide, electric, light). You can get them at Desert Aircraft and they are light at 40grams.
Elevator servos - Futaba 9650's
Rudder Servo - Futaba BLS 451
Aileron servos - Futaba 9551's
Flight paks - 2 Zippy Compact 5000, 25c. Or the blue zippy 20c's work very well.
Rx set-up - 2 Thunder Power 350mAh, 25c with a Powerbox duel regulator.

The Vanquish is a great flying airplane and well built. I have around 500 flights on mine and it still looks new.

Rick
Old 08-28-2012, 06:53 AM
rix

I also use the Castle HV80 V2...
Old 08-28-2012, 07:00 AM
luckymacy

ORIGINAL: rix

thanks. BTW, the batteries you mention, I assume that's 2 5S packs? When used with the ESC it puts them in serial to make an equivalent 10S pack or do you have to buy (extra weight) a separate 2 to 1 battery adapter?

Also, is there a real quality difference between zippy and turnigy batteries? When I look at them I immediately think 'same factory'.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:31 AM
rix

I use two 5s packs wired in series using 4mm bullets. I have never used the Turnigys. The zippy compacts and blue zippy 20c's are light and produce good power. I have had zero problems using zippy packs and get 100 flight or more out of them. I always try and wait for the packs that I want to get to the Hobby King USA warehouse as shipping from the international site is expensive. Hopefully the compacts will be available in the fall. I did see that they had some blue zippy 20c's available but I think a friend of mine bought all they had. Just keep checking Hobby King.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:27 PM
obach

Hi,
I am flying an Integral with the Himax 6330-200 motor and the Castle ICE2 80HV regulator.
The Integral is a little heavy (5,2 kg) so I need as much brake as possible for the downline manoeuvre.
Setup is:
20C batteries from Zippy. The blue ones.
6330-200 with a 20,5x14 APCe prop
ICE2 80 HV ESC, latest beta SW
I have used the manual from Himaxx for the recommended setting, but changed the brake settings to 50-60%

I get squeeks from the motor - that tells me that timeing are not correct - when I add power after a dive manouvre (the Z or a reverse top hat)

Can you reccomend a setting on the ESC that most probably should work? What settings do you use for the -210 motor?

Looking forward to a quick reply!
brg
Øystein Bach
Norway

ORIGINAL: rix

Old 08-29-2012, 05:00 PM
rix

I am just using the recommended setting from Himax as well. If you set your breaking to 30% the squeak will go away. Anything over 30% and mine made noise as well.

Rick
Old 08-29-2012, 09:05 PM
obach

Thanks for the reply!
This means that the CC 80HV regulator is a bargain as long as you get enough brake of the 30% as recommended from Himax manual. If you need more brake, buy another ESC... :-(
I will post CC an email about this and hope for a firmware fix in the future.
The CC ESC is a very good ESC by all other means.

Abouth the Vanquish 2x2. I bought this earlier this year. After 2 minutes flight I understood that "this is going to be my A-model this year!" A number one reccomendation from me!

brg
Øystein Bach
Norway
Old 08-29-2012, 09:14 PM
rix

It is an ESC issue with certain combinations of motor and so forth. Some guys report that they can go better than 30% using the 80HV, I never could. I cannot remember if Himax recommended the 30% brake setting. This discussion on other threads indicated that the 30% setting would get rid of the noise if one was experiencing it. I was, so that's how I set mine. Enjoy your Vanquish...

Rick
Old 10-21-2013, 09:55 AM
billbolz

Joe, I had both an Angel S50 and a Wind 110. The angel flew great but was too small. The wind 110 was a delight to fly. I just had it trimmed pefectlybut dumb thumbed it in a few weeks ago and just ordered another one from F3AU. The 2M planes are just too big for me I think. I'm not sorry I am flying the 110. It is a beautiful flying plane, plenty big for me and flies great on the Hacker A50-16L with two 4s 5kmah batteries in series. but the landing gear is very sensitive. That's the only complaint I have. I am getting another one, thats what I think of them.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:57 AM
bondtasha

BJ Craft Monolog 140

And ok not 2m but the Fantasista 110 and the Nuance 120 and the wooden Mythos are all great flyers and big aeroplanes in their own right

The Nuance 120 will fly the P15 with ease on a 150 usd power set I know cos I seen it

C