Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 05:10 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

I live on a paved street. I only have about 70 yards to run on since one end is a corner, and the other is a 2 way intersection. I wouldn't worry about it too much if my antennae was fine, but with it being so short and frayed, who knows when I'll lose signal.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:03 AM
mebcop2000

I am currently trying to sell/trade my XS so I can fund getting into 1/8th scale racing, and I want to clean it up real nice. Any tips/tricks to make the cleaning easier? I know they sell rc car cleaner, but is there something generic that would work as well?
Old 11-28-2012, 04:40 AM
DieHarder

I just took a wet sock rag, and wiped my rcs down. Or, you could disassemble most of it, and clean each individual part. That works pretty well. I did that with my Duratrax Evader ST, and it worked great. Came out nice and shiney. Or I guess you could spray it off with a hose on a concrete pad, and spray WD40 on all the joints so they don't rust. And after it drys, you could just but a drop or two of oil on all the joints to make sure they work squeak-free. I've done all of these suggestions quite a few times, and they all work pretty good. I guess the washing it off with a hose works the best. And if as I read, that it is waterproof, you shouldn't have to much of a problem with rusting parts. Just make sure that all your electronics are waterproof before you decide to hose it off.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:40 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mebcop2000

I am currently trying to sell/trade my XS so I can fund getting into 1/8th scale racing, and I want to clean it up real nice. Any tips/tricks to make the cleaning easier? I know they sell rc car cleaner, but is there something generic that would work as well?
Tear it apart and clean it or just sell it dirty...
Old 12-10-2012, 07:52 PM
smoked_g60

So, Im recently back into rc after a few year hiatus. I have a couple gas powered cars which, while fun, just were quite a hassle.

My 10yo nephew is right at the perfect age to get into this, so I bought him a madspeed 1/10 scale drift car for him to play with at the local drift track. I figured I'd just paint the bodies for him, but that didnt last long. I quickly picked up a sprint 2 sport and some drift tires myself, then my buddy also got one, but a flux. We raced a few weekends, broke many belts and quickly learned the rocks and pebbles arent good for a belt driven car.

I looked around for a good fast off road/onroad basher and this truck definetely fits the bill. Picked up 2 of them at the LHS, and have been extremely mostly impressed by the build of both of them. Running on 2s power, they are quick, reasonably agile, and pretty durable. The only notable issues I noticed are the shock ends, and I have a few ideas how to fix this problem.

It seems to me that this is likely the reason why the dogbones/cvd's break or bend easily, there is no good limit mechanisim for the extension of the wheels. Any good hit on the top of the wheel will pop the shock end, and the wheels inertia will bend the bone as it tries to lock up.

I am working on a good backyayd fix for this, pretty much the same thing rally cars use to prevent shoch damage during sudden extension. You need something to limit the travel of the suspension, just before full shock extension. I'm thinking a very fine wire, or ballchain would do the trick nicely to stop these breaking.

I have put about 20 packs through my xs, and 2 of them jumping heavily. The drive cups, while wearing slightly, arent terrible, but I'm not in as much dirt as some folks.

I saw a pic of the bug body many pages back, I think I'll cut one down and make it fit. I miss the lack of bodies in this size.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:56 PM
t9dragon

So how are everyones XS's holding up.....
Old 12-12-2012, 02:35 PM
cumminspower5.9

Not too shabby. I have it up for the season, unless we have like 2-4 inches of snow. That's all this thing will go in, but I bet will still just spin. Got a list of parts to get for next season, new antennae, front and rear diff bevel gears, drive cups, new unpainted body. How has yours been T9?
Old 12-12-2012, 03:12 PM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

Not too shabby. I have it up for the season, unless we have like 2-4 inches of snow. That's all this thing will go in, but I bet will still just spin. Got a list of parts to get for next season, new antennae, front and rear diff bevel gears, drive cups, new unpainted body. How has yours been T9?
Kool....

ours have been sitting for about 2 months just haven't had the time to go play with them... Plus my son decided to play football this fall so their went my Saturday's, it is starting all over again.. LOL.. my oldest son played football for 7 years (now a freshman in college).. so hopefully in the next 2 weeks the weather will be nice and give me some sunny weather to play...

Old 12-13-2012, 04:56 AM
cumminspower5.9

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Kool....

ours have been sitting for about 2 months just haven't had the time to go play with them... Plus my son decided to play football this fall so their went my Saturday's, it is starting all over again.. LOL.. my oldest son played football for 7 years (now a freshman in college).. so hopefully in the next 2 weeks the weather will be nice and give me some sunny weather to play...

Oh cool. Yea the winter months will be pretty boring for me. I was planning on building an Ofna Lx2e but finances don't allow it right now. So I'm just going to build up the XS and make it nice again, atleast for a little while lol. This will sound crazy, but I was thinking of putting an *gulp* Integy front bumper on it for looks. Suprisingly I rarely roll the XS or hit things, so I think it will do fairly well. Tower has a brushed aluminum and anodized blue one which would look nice.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:00 AM
t9dragon

Oh cool. Yea the winter months will be pretty boring for me. I was planning on building an Ofna Lx2e but finances don't allow it right now. So I'm just going to build up the XS and make it nice again, atleast for a little while lol. This will sound crazy, but I was thinking of putting an *gulp* Integy front bumper on it for looks. Suprisingly I rarely roll the XS or hit things, so I think it will do fairly well. Tower has a brushed aluminum and anodized blue one which would look nice.
Integy....... O' no... not Integy.. LOL

Just kidding those do look nice.. But it wouldn't last long on mine..
Old 12-13-2012, 04:57 PM
smoked_g60

Now that my drift car is down, and my xs has broken an a-arm and waiting on parts, I decided to order some stuff to spiff my xs up. Stainless screw kit to replace the silly button heads which strip out again and again, HR aluminum shocks, and a new El Camino body plus 2 sets of tuning springs. Also a TBR front bumper to try and avoid the broken a arm again.

I slapped some Speedtread Robbers on mine for on-road bashing and really like them, esp for the price. Each axle set, pre-mounted was just $23 at my LHS. I finally tagged a front wheel hard enough to snap the shaft, and blow out the a-arm.

I havent found the perfect limit strap yet, but I'm thinking ball-chain or 30-50lb test monofilament are the best options. finding a cool way to mount them is the challenge. THe fishing line would look kinda ghetto, but I like the idea of shiny silver ball-chain for limit straps. Thinking of using ring style electrical connectors crimped on to the ball-chain, then bolted to one of the un-used sway bar mounting points.

My girls xs broke pretty quickly but this is a lesson in the things that are too easy to break. Second jump she took, upside down, WOT, and snapped the silly shock mount. Also lost the spring, and as it was getting dark, we never found it. I slapped the shocks from the front of my 1/8 nitro Swift for her broken ones, but the springs are way too stiff. When the HR tuning springs arrive I'll try them out instead. I schooled her in throttle controll in midair as well.

Still nice and sunny here in Cali, good RC weather.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:57 AM
cumminspower5.9

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Integy....... O' no... not Integy.. LOL

Just kidding those do look nice.. But it wouldn't last long on mine..
lol I have no idea how long it would last on mine. I was thinking of getting some "Truck Nutz" from RPM as well lol. Kinda make special I think
Old 12-21-2012, 06:55 AM
Amit2129

Hello everyone I was wondering which aftermarket bodies will fit the savage xs
Thank you.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:34 PM
smoked_g60

There arent many as far as I have found. HPI makes a couple, the El camino, and jeep rubicon. Also other 1/16 scale offroad bodies might fit with modification. The chassis is narrow and short enough to accomodate many 1 /16 bodies.
So far I have the 2 hpi's and the parma dune buggy, and the proline bug body for the 1/16 mini crawler both fit decently.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Amit2129

Do you meen this bug body? cause it looks cool.
http://prolineracing.com/bodies/volkswagen-1-10-rock-crawler-body/
Old 12-22-2012, 01:53 PM
ejc34710

Ok fellas. Venting some rage here. My XS is a complete POS. I have been into rc for well over 2 decades but this blasted thing never cease to amaze me. Id estimate i have between 20-30 packs thru my XS, all 2s never tried a 3s and the thing WILL NOT STOP BREAKING!! I havent been able to get a full pack through this thing in 2 months! So far its broke/stripped the shock end, blew the outer bearing in the rear pinion so the whole pinion gear fell into the diff housing, so no RWD. Fixed it, and in less than 2 packs, shredded the same bearing. Broke a rear upright, all the drive cups need replaced, pinion came loose twice, stock tires are crap, etc. I just took it out to drive it and not even 2 minutes into the pack, you guessed it, broke AGAIN. Acts like the slipper pads are torched (second set BTW). Anyone have problems like this? My last electric was a......... losi xxt so with all the rage of brushless/lipo in a surface vehicle i wanted to try one (have brushless heli and planes). LOVE my nitros but i wanted to have something that was plug and play. This thing is more trouble than my Savage X i beat the crap out of on a regular basis. I'll admit, i am an HPI fan, have been since the mid to late 90s, but this thing is a joke. I doubt i'd have any luck calling hpi, but i may try. Anyone want to trade a nitro for a Savage XS??
Old 12-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Amit2129

Check Out this website:
http://www.hpirchobby.com/hpi-savage...40-p-3035.html
Old 12-23-2012, 08:34 AM
sparky 25

I'd say that's a dodgy site,

No phone number or address,

Just an email address
Old 12-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Ken448

Hi,

Been a while since Ive been around here. But once again, Ive been hijacked by the RC World (always good to be back!)
Anyhoo, first purchase was a debate between the Merv and the XS. Went with the MERV. Its a fun truck, but too small for the speed its capable (or not) of.
THEN, my nephew showed up with his Flux XS yesterday for some tuning and play time. Had a blast! SOOOO I placed my order last night for the XS. My main question is 3s. Will the ESC tolerate 3s on occasion? Or is there still an issue? 2s is fine, and its almost as quick as my MERV on 3s, BUT if I have it (and it DOES fit) Why not use it!?!

Any must-have upgrades?? Or repairs out of the box? Diffs require shimming. etc?
Things I noticed about the XS yesterday.
Servo is JUNK but I have a replacement that is overkill but itll work better in the truck than it does in my pit box.
Gear mesh seems WAY Tight. After reading through the manual, I noticed the fixed gear adjustments (odd)
Tires are SLIPPERY on anything but grass and DRY pavement (MERV hooks pretty much anywhere)
Is the ESC programmable using Castle Link? Punch control is needed, as is dialing down the brakes instead of using the radio's EPA
Old 12-26-2012, 10:02 AM
cumminspower5.9

ORIGINAL: Ken448

Hi,

Been a while since Ive been around here. But once again, Ive been hijacked by the RC World (always good to be back!)
Anyhoo, first purchase was a debate between the Merv and the XS. Went with the MERV. Its a fun truck, but too small for the speed its capable (or not) of.
THEN, my nephew showed up with his Flux XS yesterday for some tuning and play time. Had a blast! SOOOO I placed my order last night for the XS. My main question is 3s. Will the ESC tolerate 3s on occasion? Or is there still an issue? 2s is fine, and its almost as quick as my MERV on 3s, BUT if I have it (and it DOES fit) Why not use it!?!

Any must-have upgrades?? Or repairs out of the box? Diffs require shimming. etc?
Things I noticed about the XS yesterday.
Servo is JUNK but I have a replacement that is overkill but itll work better in the truck than it does in my pit box.
Gear mesh seems WAY Tight. After reading through the manual, I noticed the fixed gear adjustments (odd)
Tires are SLIPPERY on anything but grass and DRY pavement (MERV hooks pretty much anywhere)
Is the ESC programmable using Castle Link? Punch control is needed, as is dialing down the brakes instead of using the radio's EPA
-Yes the XS can run on 3s, I'm pretty sure they have fixed that issue. I can only tell you that running 3s will be crazy. It is very uncontrollable unless you have a good throttle finger to control the wheelies. It will even flip over at 3/4 throttle on 3s. 2s is a perfect balance or speed and torque.
-I never shimmed my diffs, and have had no problems.
-Servo, you can do whatever you want with, user preference.
-I've never touched my gear mesh till i tor the tranny down. I think that is again another user preference.
-Stock tires do suck. I have upgraded to Pro-Line badlands. Good all around tire, grip on every surfaceand does not wear fast at all.
-The esc is programmable.

I love my XS, for the size, it can do a lot. It has proven durable as well. I have seen many instances where people have regretted buying the MERV over the XS, so you are not the first to have that vision. Weakpoints I have noticed are drive cups at tranny, and drive cups that go into the front and rear diffs. And depending on how you drive it, for example massive jumps, the rear upright may break. I have only broken one and I have beat the hell out of mine.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Ken448

All this talk of drive cups. Has anyone hardened their stock HPI cups?
http://www.wikihow.com/Harden-Steel
Old 12-27-2012, 09:59 AM
cumminspower5.9

Not sure if anyone has tried hardening them, but it may work. Either that or it will make them more brittle.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:34 PM
sparky 25

New shoes
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68571.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	1835922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo36948.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	1835923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uw43144.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	1835924  
Old 01-01-2013, 06:00 PM
cumminspower5.9

Are those tires off a New Bright RC?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:18 AM
firemanjbi

Hi guys, real quick question. Ive been looking for hours and cant find the answer. My rear wheels are leaning inward quite a bit. Is this normal ? Icant seem to find anywhere on the XS this can be adjusted. Any help would be awesome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.