Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 02:54 PM
PhilYabelli
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

My posts about Gerry Hinshaw were removed by the moderators.
If anybody wants to know the read deal with this person, PM me.
You need to know who you are dealing with, how FlyEagle behaves behind the scenes.  Maybe the moderators do not want you to know this.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:07 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gerry has been quiet. Perhaps a FEJ rep contacted him and told him to STFU.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: DrScoles

I have a 3-D xray machine in my office. Its field of view is 7''x7''x5'', perfect for imaging human head, not so much for scanning model parts! I did scan the stab on my skymaster Mig-29. Looks like they put a metal blade at the end of the shaft. Unfortunately, human bone is much denser than fiberglass or wood, so its hard to pick out anything but the metal and a little bit of the thickest parts of resin/glass.

Its a shame that we have to even consider doing this to our models. Particularly with the amount of money we spend on them. I can safely say I will never buy a product from FEJ. Even if they come out with the coolest plane on the block and fix their QC issues... their customer service, or lack thereof, is not worth it.
You are absolutely correct ... it is a metal blade. Actually it's a used X-acto blade!

I am in the process of helping a friend with his SM F-16 jet, and came across the same thing last week. The stab's pivot rod wasn't lined-up correctly, so we took the stab apart. That's when we found the X-acto blade inserted into the rod as an anti-rotation pin!
Here's the pictures.

Imagine spending thousands of dollars on a jet when the manufacturer is using bits of old tools as part of the jet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19586.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1881995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65157.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	1881996  
Old 05-14-2013, 05:06 PM
PhilYabelli
Banned

Skymaster has had a long history of problematic airplanes.  People just don't talk about it online much.
Those sold through BVM may have had some more testing, but not the rest. 
Ask around. Even Ali Machinchy had to drop Skymaster a few years ago due to QC issues.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:17 PM
crashgoodly

what makes you guys think that spending thousands of dollars on made in china crap is going to get you a quality product? the point of buying chinese is cheap pricing. expecting quality just because they raised the price is down right nuts. we all got lazy with the arf revolution and now it's coming back to bite us all in the ass.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:38 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

You are absolutely correct ... it is a metal blade. Actually it's a used X-acto blade!

I am in the process of helping a friend with his SM F-16 jet, and came across the same thing last week. The stab's pivot rod wasn't lined-up correctly, so we took the stab apart. That's when we found the X-acto blade inserted into the rod as an anti-rotation pin!
Here's the pictures.

Imagine spending thousands of dollars on a jet when the manufacturer is using bits of old tools as part of the jet.
Holy Crap!!

Wonder what Anton would have to say? Off topic in this thread, but maybe subject matter for another.

Sluggo
Old 05-14-2013, 06:25 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

That's a skymaster stab? Hmmm
Old 05-14-2013, 07:16 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: DrScoles

I have a 3-D xray machine in my office. Its field of view is 7''x7''x5'', perfect for imaging human head, not so much for scanning model parts! I did scan the stab on my skymaster Mig-29. Looks like they put a metal blade at the end of the shaft. Unfortunately, human bone is much denser than fiberglass or wood, so its hard to pick out anything but the metal and a little bit of the thickest parts of resin/glass.

Its a shame that we have to even consider doing this to our models. Particularly with the amount of money we spend on them. I can safely say I will never buy a product from FEJ. Even if they come out with the coolest plane on the block and fix their QC issues... their customer service, or lack thereof, is not worth it.

Here's the pictures.

That's a pretty thick X-acto blade if you ask me. Also, I would rather have that setup than rods though HC material any day. But that being said my recent G2 F-16 had problems too. The rear former was glued in wrong causing the H-Stabs to rub on the front. I had to sand them down so it wouldn't rub. All of these ARF's have some kind of issue. Some are worse than others.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:56 PM
dubd

All ARFs have some issue, even in the prop world. The $$$ question is what is the customer service like???? Does the company stand with or againt you if you have an issue???? There is absolutely no reason this issue should have escalated the way it did. This is amateur hour and I didn't need a MBA to figure that out.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:46 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Several of us have shared our experiences regarding other manufacturors.
I had an issue with a jet from SM and Anton stepped right up without hesitation. He never tried to buy silence, nor pass blame, immediately contacted customers, corrected the problem and sent out new parts to all customers.
I purchased two more jets right after this experience because of his excellent customer service and support.
Looking at another from him now.
Scott
Old 05-14-2013, 09:03 PM
dubd

ORIGINAL: jetpilot

I had an issue with a jet from SM and Anton stepped right up without hesitation. He never tried to buy silence, nor pass blame, immediately contacted customers, corrected the problem and sent out new parts to all customers.
I purchased two more jets right after this experience because of his excellent customer service and support.
Scott
+1 Right after turning down the offer by the FEJ rep, I contacted Skymaster and ordered a plane. I know Anton supports his customers, when it's good and bad.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:58 PM
Couch Potato

It's the latest offer from SM

"Free toolkit with every Skymaster Jet!"
Old 05-15-2013, 03:02 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dantley, I'm going to have to take exception with you here.

I am deeply offended...you shouldn't insult Amatuer Hour like this

Sluggo
ORIGINAL: dubd
All ARFs have some issue, even in the prop world. The $$$ question is what is the customer service like???? Does the company stand with or againt you if you have an issue???? There is absolutely no reason this issue should have escalated the way it did. This is amateur hour and I didn't need a MBA to figure that out.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:53 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: jetpilot

Scott
I received a Skymaster Mig with some small cracks in the fuse and the top of the canopy frame. More experienced builders may have just fixed it and moved on, Skymaster made me new plane. If I was in a time crunch it would have sucked, but to make an entire new airframe... pretty cool. I still think they hire third graders to pack them, but I'm happy with their customer service.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:00 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I found an excellent non-structural application for honeycomb material that most modelers can use. It might be a good place to dispose of any honeycomb you've dug out of your plane.

Regards,

Jim

Name:	Yw66875.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1882278  
Old 05-17-2013, 04:17 PM
crashgoodly

R I P.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd still rather pay $11,000.00 for a BVM jet and have it for years, than pay $5,000.00 for a Chinese built jet and have it for just a few flights before it crashes.

Watching a $5,000.00 Chinese built jet crash with more than another $3,000.00 worth of equipment is never worth seeing the fireball that erupts when it crashes. And in dubd's case, it was a 20,000.00 fireball. YIKES !!!

I'd rather pay $11,000 and never see my jet end up as a fireball.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:23 PM
dubd

I was at my local field today and the crash was brought up at least a dozen times. A lot of four letter words were used to describe FEJ and their reps.

Airplanes, not all Chinese plane makers produce crap products. Given Skymaster's partnership with BVM and Anton's demonstration of providing a high level of service, they are in a different league.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:24 PM
tewalker01
My Feedback: (5)

Well, I spent last week reading this thread from the very start and I have found it "interesting" .

I think that the forum moderator Ken should be commended for:

1. Allowing the thread to stay open given pressure to have it closed
2. Allowing a lot of latitude for all opinions to be heard
3. Stepping in when necessary to stop the thread from becoming toxic

Also a big thanks to RC Universe for allowing Dantley to bring to light a very serious safety issue.

Finally, a big thanks to Dantley for having the guts to tackle this issue.
(Full disclosure, I've known Dantley for quite a while and I have found him to be an upstanding guy)

T. Walker

Old 05-20-2013, 04:10 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

ORIGINAL: tewalker01

Well, I spent last week reading this thread from the very start and I have found it ''interesting'' .

I think that the forum moderator Ken should be commended for:

1. Allowing the thread to stay open given pressure to have it closed
2. Allowing a lot of latitude for all opinions to be heard
3. Stepping in when necessary to stop the thread from becoming toxic

Also a big thanks to RC Universe for allowing Dantley to bring to light a very serious safety issue.

Finally, a big thanks to Dantley for having the guts to tackle this issue.
(Full disclosure, I've known Dantley for quite a while and I have found him to be an upstanding guy)

T. Walker

I actually don't know him personally but have found him to be an upstanding guy

S
Old 05-20-2013, 10:49 PM
dubd

I got around to taking pictures of the stab and noticed a few things. First the entire structure is made of honeycomb (no surprise). Second, the bolts are secured against a thin layer of carbon fiber cloth. Third, the bolts were loose from the compression against the honeycomb. I was able to wiggle them around 360 degrees with my driver. Does a thin strip of carbon cloth seem sufficient to secure bolts to honeycomb?

The pictures below are of the bolts that go into the pivot shaft.

Name:	Fd91885.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1883906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj25848.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	1883907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98139.jpg
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	1883908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60409.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1883909  
Old 05-21-2013, 02:47 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: dubd

I got around to taking pictures of the stab and noticed a few things. First the entire structure is made of honeycomb (no surprise). Second, the bolts are secured against a thin layer of carbon fiber cloth. Third, the bolts were loose from the compression against the honeycomb. I was able to wiggle them around 360 degrees with my driver. Does a thin strip of carbon cloth seem sufficient to secure bolts to honeycomb?

The pictures below are of the bolts that go into the pivot shaft.
Anyone who puts bolts through a honeycomb structure without replacing the core material around the bolt with a solid material - regardless of what's on either side, knows little to nothing about composite structures...

Bob
Old 05-21-2013, 03:00 AM
jetnuno

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi

Wow, unbelievable....

These guys really don't know what they're doing. How could this work in a 25Kg bird? Maybe in a foamy edf....

Dantley, are you sure you installed all the screws? Are these guys for real, or what??????

Regards

Nuno
Old 05-21-2013, 03:09 AM
rwwinter

Mine has 37kg not 25kg

it looks like they have at least partially removed the honeycomb and filled with micro...

Rudi
Old 05-21-2013, 03:15 AM
tinal

look like hard point inside, then carbon fiber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.