Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 12:27 AM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fly Eagle Jet F-14 Crash (video)

ORIGINAL: RCJetBazz

ORIGINAL: tamjets

I am sure your pivot point location has good merit, but to assume that is the ONLY cause of their failure is ridiculous, let alone thinking that is a contribution to FEJ who doesn't listen to anyone.
To judge your fellow modeler's voicing isn't exactly high class itself.

Put yourself to they level is not make yourself look any better.
I had mention very early on these thread.
Let them fall on their own.
You don't need to push them over the cliff.
Is not make you any better person in my opinion.
I do give respect to those willing to share and help other modelers that still had this kit looking for help to fix the problem.
But not supporting using RCU to shut them down.
Is just low class.
That is truth...there is many things lead to cause the crash.
If you want me to discuss things can done better that can safe this crash. I can write a long lists of things to do and not to do.
But most of you more intersted to shut FEJ down than listen to those had built 100 jets succes flight.
No need at all, much has already been discussed, you won't contribute anything that hasn't already been dicussed. If anything I encourage Tam Jets to increase your line of models for the market.

No thanks...selling kit is bunch of headache and babysit bunch cry baby don't know how to do things right.
Been there done that.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:28 AM
tamjets

ORIGINAL: dubd

Low class is to lie on their web site stating they are helping me to rebuild another plane, when they are not. Low class is to keep my photo on their web site after I've asked 5 times for them to remove it. If they want to make things right, they can start by removing the statement on their site and remove my picture.
For last 6 weeks and every 5 minutes on this thread.
Look like you are more stress than them.
I had told you many time. Take a break spend time with your kid and enjoy the hobby.
It suck this had turn you in the person that always anger and doing anything to shut them down.
Is not good for you, your family and the RC community.
And so are you contributing posting onto this thread Tam, the worst thing you could do to a fellow modeler is to judge him. I like to believe you meant well for Dantley, but if your good intent is genuine and based on the content of your post is much better suited behind the scene, ie. pm or email, since it's very much personal. Just in case if your intent is opposite, or trying to embarrass Dantley, than you loose my respect for you Tam.

I don't give a crab about how you or anyone thinks.
Let call it enough.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:12 AM
hmjets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of FEJ F 14 for sale on RCU...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=914377
Old 05-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Bob Toilet

I only see one FEJ F-14 for sale... thats many.....
ORIGINAL: hmjets

Lots of FEJ F 14 for sale on RCU...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=914377
Old 05-29-2013, 10:32 AM
tamjets

ORIGINAL: murban

wow .... i guess we kicked tam way to hard in the truth for his liking. i wonder if his sentiments are the same as FEJ. I DON'T GIVE A CRAP. this is a great motto for a plumber but for guys producing high speed models, not so much. stick that in your pipes and smoke it.

You so all so clueless. FEJ don't give a crap from begining.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Len
My Feedback: (3)

Sorry guys, but Tam is one of the most kind people in this hobby, and while he is tired of this thread, and has made that quite clear, we need not attribute any negative waves toward him or his business. There is not a disingenuous bone in Tam's body. He makes QUALITY products and stands DIRECTLY behind his products for all of his customers!

Now if one of the lurking trolls here decides to call me an FEJ supporter, please remember I'm one of the several guys out there with a large deposit in the wind on an FEJ F-14 right now so I have nothing to gain by seeing them disappear, but I have posted my support for Dantley and my opposition to the way FEJ has handled this incident. What I believe Dantley wants is to be compensated properly for the loss, and have the FEJ F-14 and other unsafe aircraft re-engineered to be as safe as possible. Personally I doubt that will happen as I have several years experience with business dealings in the Orient and can emphatically state that once negative things become public, the Asian mindset will ALWAYS default to saving face.

In the West "saving face" means standing up to the issue and correcting it...in the East it means stone cold non-communication...as if the issue did not exist. We of the Western mentality do not comprehend that mindset and likely never will. Be that as it may, this thread while cathartic, will not likely do much to advance FEJ's demise, but it will keep the issue alive. I personally cannot see what advantage there is in this action, but I do support keeping it alive for information alone, as the alternative is to let it pass into oblivion and that is just not right.

I am told I will be receiving my F-14 and it ships around mid-June, but those sorts of things have been said to others before, so I am taking it all with a grain of reality and awaiting the request for the rest of the monies. If indeed the plane is to be shipped, do I add another $4k to the pot and hope for a usable fuselage, or walk away? My sense is that I can make the plane airworthy with some significant modifications and while not a simple task, it is possible in my less than humble opinion, especially with the advice gleaned from this thread on the problems. Even if I have to have the stabs re-made with the pivots advanced and mass balanced etc., carbon added to the existing formers, or indeed remake the formers, and carbon matt/rods to deal with the rear fuselage's lack of rigidity. I have done this sort of re-engineering for two Jet Legend big jets and while they were seriously 'fall out of the sky' compromised on arrival, they were, by comparison, quite easy to re-engineer to airworthy conditions

Anyway I don't want to see these sorts of personal attacks on people that are doing it right in this hobby! My sense is that personal attacks are by design set to have the moderators close this thread, which while appearing as a collateral event, might be the original intent?

Len
Old 05-29-2013, 11:26 AM
tamjets

Len
Thanks to understand my point.
I just hated anyone try to said some sense to all this.
Than been call FEJ support.
Bunch of BS crap.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:36 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd like to share a revelation I've had during my time here at RCU. It came to me when I tried to classify FEJ as a legitimate jet manufacturer. And I realized that FEJ is not actually a jet manufacturer at all. Every other jet factory on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you FEJ do not. You move to an area and you multiply... and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. FEJ is a disease, a cancer of this planet. FEJ is a plague, and we… are the cure.

Can you hear me, FEJ? I am going to be honest with you. I… hate… this crap you are producing, this kit, this ARF, this false reality of a jet — whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell of crappy design, if there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink, and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it, it's repulsive, isn't it?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:56 AM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Andy,

Wow, initially I thought that you should seek some medication, but then I got the reference. Sorry.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84443.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1886853  
Old 05-29-2013, 11:57 AM
DanSavage
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

I'd like to share a revelation I've had during my time here at RCU. It came to me when I tried to classify FEJ as a legitimate jet manufacturer. And I realized that FEJ is not actually a jet manufacturer at all. Every other jet factory on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you FEJ do not. You move to an area and you multiply... and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. FEJ is a disease, a cancer of this planet. FEJ is a plague, and we… are the cure.

Can you hear me, FEJ? I am going to be honest with you. I… hate… this crap you are producing, this kit, this ARF, this false reality of a jet — whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell of crappy design, if there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink, and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it, it's repulsive, isn't it?
VoilÃ*! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance, a vendetta held as a votive not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:57 AM
powerjets
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Matrix !! Haha
Old 05-29-2013, 11:59 AM
AndyAndrews

ORIGINAL: rcjets_63

Andy,

Wow, initially I thought that you should seek some medication, but then I got the reference. Sorry.

Jim
Ha, you caught me! Well, it kinda applies..
Old 05-29-2013, 01:00 PM
ron Sweeney

ORIGINAL: powerjets

Matrix !! Haha
No, an alliteration! Ron. sorry I just had to.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:10 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There has been some new information that I want to present. In a thread last year, Ken from FEJ admitted that the change to the new direct drive system was more stable. Mav311 stated that modifications in the form of holes being drilled in the elevator control arm was necessary to make the elevator system work. Why did FEJ not communicate this to the people who owned these planes? Why when I brought my plane to them at BITW after this post did they say my plane was set-up correctly?

All of the other F-14s that had flutter were able to be landed, included the 1/6 F-18. My plane could not and I believe it is because FEJ did not properly reinforce the honeycomb bulkheads in my plane. They only put plywood on one side of the honeycomb bulkhead. FEJ now reinforces the honeycomb bulkhead with carbon fiber... why is that??????

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11123552

Old 05-29-2013, 01:45 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I found this interesting:

Quote"
Fender...the issue is that, no matter what size servo or how powerful the servo is or how many servos you place in the back.....there is not enough torque to move the stabs INITIALLY. I have Hitec 7955 powered at 6 volts and i have 408 ounces of torque on the servo, but when you put the mechanism and stab together there's not enough torque to move the stab like we would like too. In other words you can lightly press on the edge of the stab with your finger and give full up elevator, the servo has hard time moving the stab. So what 1/2 time show (Robert), Vega (bill) and I have done was buy short control arms and drill the holes for the control rods closer to the center of the servo spline. This gives more torque and stops any potential flutter. Also stops the elevators from drooping or dragging at the field.

The only flutter I had so far was because the 4 bolts that hold the elevator mechanism to the former loosened up and not because i didn't tighten them...they were tight and with thread locker , but got loose because the wood began to compress when you tighten the bolts and with the pressure i guess began to have lateral play. i had to machine a back plate that would act like a large washer in order for the 4 bolt to be torqued evenly and the surface area was increased.

Going back to the initial question as why the changed the mechanism, I even at one point put to 2 servo's on the elevator mechanism to see if it would make a difference to no avail. Don't get me wrong once the stabs starts to move there's no way in hell to stop it from moving or push it in the opposite direction. The problem is the initial movement to get the servo going.

Now they moved the servo to a point in the stab where there servo needs little torque to move the elevator. It has leverage point.

My tomcat is flying awesome, but I'm glad they did the change.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:35 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I was browsing the LTMA list today. Only 10 Jets in the US have been inspected. Most of those are A-10's (7), Dustin's F104, a Mig 29 and one FEJ F-18. That's it.
There are many very large jets flying all over the country and people are not living up to there responsibility as AMA members. Nobody wants to blame the pilot or builder when something bad happens, they go after the MFG. In this case it is a design flaw from the mfg without question.

If the jet was inspected the owner would have known that the pivot point for the horizontal stab was in the wrong location before it was flown. The owner/builder should be doing the calculations before it is inspected. Flying giant aircraft is not a right, it is a privilege. There has to be some personal responsibility.

Dantley I feel bad for your loss. As you know, I had my share of them in the last year. But in the end you flew a jet that is at the highest end of the risk scale. It is clearly over 55lb wet and it was never inspected! You must share some of the responsibility. It is time to stop being a victim.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:12 PM
jetpilot

The list expires annually. So not being on the list doesn't mean there is always a violation.
I have just received my permits for 5 aircraft which should be added to list any day. My other permits just expired. So looking like a violator and being one can get confused.

A lot of guys probably are in denial about the weight of their aircraft and don't check. I had a Fei Bao T33 that was over 55 lbs wet and I have never seen another one on the list. How many of them are out there flying? I admit I don't look that much though.
I had to have my Fei Bao T33 inspected.
Some might go by the manufacturers given weight and never check. FEJ doesn't build or fly them, how would they know what one weighs.

Many of these big jets carry about 200oz or 6L of fuel roughly. That is about 11-12 lbs. the jet only has to be around 43 lbs dry to be a LTMA-1.

Doesn't some responsibility have to be put on the manufacturer that produces over 55lb aircraft? Maybe they wouldn't produce these 55lb twin monsters if there were.

One guy touted being on the list and his aircraft fluttered on the first flight and several other flights. Now he wants to start a campaign for over 200mph violators since hes "up to code"!! lol!!

Scott

Old 05-29-2013, 03:21 PM
PhilYabelli
Banned

ORIGINAL: quist

I was browsing the LTMA list today. Only 10 Jets in the US have been inspected. Most of those are A-10's (7), Dustin's F104, a Mig 29 and one FEJ F-18. That's it.
There are many very large jets flying all over the country and people are not living up to there responsibility as AMA members. Nobody wants to blame the pilot or builder when something bad happens, they go after the MFG. In this case it is a design flaw from the mfg without question.

If the jet was inspected the owner would have known that the pivot point for the horizontal stab was in the wrong location before it was flown. The owner/builder should be doing the calculations before it is inspected. Flying giant aircraft is not a right, it is a privilege. There has to be some personal responsibility.

Dantley I feel bad for your loss. As you know, I had my share of them in the last year. But in the end you flew a jet that is at the highest end of the risk scale. It is clearly over 55lb wet and it was never inspected! You must share some of the responsibility. It is time to stop being a victim.
And how many times was the elevator mechanism inspected between flights one and twenty-five on this aircraft?None.
And who put it together?A guy with a proven track record of assembling large airplanes?

Old 05-29-2013, 03:23 PM
AndyAndrews

Old 05-29-2013, 03:31 PM
quist

ORIGINAL: jetpilot

The list expires annually. So not being on the list doesn't mean there is always a violation.
I have just received my permits for 5 aircraft which should be added to list any day. My other permits just expired. So looking like a violator and being one can get confused.

A lot of guys probably are in denial about the weight of their aircraft and don't check. I had a Fei Bao T33 that was over 55 lbs wet and I have never seen another one on the list. How many of them are out there flying? I admit I don't look that much though.
Some might go by the manufacturers given weight and never check. FEJ doesn't build or fly them, how would they know what one weighs.

Many of these big jets carry about 200oz or 6L of fuel roughly. That is about 11-12 lbs. the jet only has to be around 43 lbs dry to be a LTMA-1.

Doesn't some responsibility have to be put on the manufacturer that produces over 55lb aircraft? Maybe they wouldn't produce these 55lb twin monsters if there were.

One guy touted being on the list and his aircraft fluttered on the first flight and several other flights. Now he wants to start a campaign for over 200mph violators since hes ''up to code''!! lol!!

Scott

It is the pilots responsibility to know what their plane weighs.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:31 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

I am sure your pivot point location has good merit, but to assume that is the ONLY cause of their failure is ridiculous, let alone thinking that is a contribution to FEJ who doesn't listen to anyone.

I do give respect to those willing to share and help other modelers that still had this kit looking for help to fix the problem.
Is just low class.
If you want me to discuss things can done better that can safe this crash. I can write a long lists of things to do and not to do.
But most of you more intersted to shut FEJ down than listen to those had built 100 jets succes flight.
No need at all, much has already been discussed, you won't contribute anything that hasn't already been dicussed. If anything I encourage Tam Jets to increase your line of models for the market.

No thanks...selling kit is bunch of headache and babysit bunch cry baby don't know how to do things right.
Been there done that.
This is how you felt about your customers who purchased your airframes?
Old 05-29-2013, 03:47 PM
jetpilot

ORIGINAL: quist

ORIGINAL: jetpilot

One guy touted being on the list and his aircraft fluttered on the first flight and several other flights. Now he wants to start a campaign for over 200mph violators since hes ''up to code''!! lol!!

Scott

It is the pilots responsibility to know what their plane weighs.
yep, only way I found out the Fei Bao T33 was over 55 lbs. Really surprised me!
Scott
Old 05-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Area51.5

I never even thought about this part, so from what is said above anyone flying the large f-14s, 18s, 15, and 16s should be on the LM list?
Old 05-29-2013, 04:08 PM
quist

ORIGINAL: Area51.5

I never even thought about this part, so from what is said above anyone flying the large f-14s, 18s, 15, and 16s should be on the LM list?
If they are over 55lbs full of fuel and smoke oil (if you have smoke), yes they need to be inspected and paperwork sent to the AMA.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:21 PM
PhilYabelli
Banned

ORIGINAL: smaze17

Iam sure your pivot point location has good merit, but to assume that is the ONLY cause of their failure is ridiculous, let alone thinking that is a contribution to FEJ who doesn't listen to anyone.

Is just low class.
No need at all, much has already been discussed, you won't contribute anything that hasn't already been dicussed. If anything Iencourage Tam Jets to increase your line of models for the market.

Been there done that.
This is how you felt about your customers who purchased your airframes?
Tam Nguyen has burned every bridge he has ever had. A lot of it has to do with attitudes like this, he is so much smarter than his customers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.