Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:41 PM
Thruster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Hi Paul,

Thanks however I feel a bit of a fraud if i was to claim this as all my doing................yes I was at the sticks, but 2 things here that really made the difference, 3 if you include the plane itself:
1: the turns were kept flat using rudder mostly to maximise the lift and
2: OK confession time – Dave W was stood by my shoulder during all of this and talking me down, he’s extensive knowledge of the UF was the deciding factor in the save as he confidently talk me through every millisecond particularly the planes attitude and belief that this was not a real drama!

Yes, I twiddled the sticks, but without Dave’s voice guidance/ words in my ear, would have resulted in a different story “That I know for sureâ€.

So from that I owe him (DW) big style and IMHO what he doesn’t know or understand about the UF isn’t worth knowing.

Ian
Old 06-06-2013, 05:19 AM
mtnflyer14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ian,
Congratulations on the save - with or without Dave's help you did a great job. And second, it is refreshing to read credit being given to someone else.
Regards,
Gus
Old 06-11-2013, 07:28 PM
spike5150

As I build the ultra flash and learn turbine operations, I will be flying my Habu 32 EDF as a stepping stone. Anyone who has flown both, could you share your opinions on similarities and/or differences in flight characteristics and particularly with landings?

Jeremy
Old 06-11-2013, 08:45 PM
hotspot 01

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Weight is the big difference your circuits will be wider you basically will use a lot more sky and mistakes are a lot more expensive.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:46 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

It was all Ian's stick work, I just advised on a few things

The Habu 32 has a lot less elevator authority, its more like a Bandit than an UF. Set the Habu with no elevator Expo, but really they are nothing like each other. The Habu is higher loading and less drag, so even at full flap it keeps momentum, the UF has BIG flaps and lots of drag available if you use it all.

Really you won't gain a huge amount of stick knowledge from the Habu, but you will find the UF more stable and easier to see. The Habu has a high sink rate on landing, you would need to use the CROW set up to get this type of feel on the UF.

Dave
Old 06-12-2013, 06:07 AM
mtnflyer14

I am going to change turbines in my UF so that I have all Kingtech turbines. Any recommendations between the K-100 versus K-140 for the UF? Half the flying will be in Colorado at 6500' MSL and half in Phoenix. And no, I don't need a K-170!
Regards,
Gus
Old 06-12-2013, 09:21 AM
stevekott

Just saw Barry from Kingtech fly his UF on Sunday with the K-140. You wouldn't be disappointed! Very Fast! I fly mine with a P-140RX and love it.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:05 PM
ricardinho

my opinion 30lbs is the perfect size for this plane to be the most dynamic...but dave proved that they also fly good with 22 lbs also...i think there were several who were flying classic flashs with p70s also...just a great plane what ever you use...
Old 06-12-2013, 02:25 PM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's wrong to fly it with a p70!!!
Old 06-12-2013, 02:42 PM
ricardinho

LOL...You are right...I like all jets with big engines...They just perform better ...I guess we wouldnt by a corvette with a 6 cylinder hah...
Old 06-12-2013, 03:56 PM
mtnflyer14

Thanks guys - K-140 it is. I am not a speed freak, mostly because I'm not good enough, but I do NOT want to be underpowered here at 6500' on a hot day.
Regards,
Gus
Old 06-13-2013, 12:52 PM
spike5150

Gus that is what I have waiting to go into mine. Are you close to the fire down there?
Old 06-13-2013, 01:43 PM
spike5150

Thanks Dave - I appreciate the insight. I am really a heli guy that is getting into jets. One thing I learned from helis was that each time I got a bigger one the more stable it was and the more confidence it brought to my flying. I am trying to fast track my airplane skill set. I was flying the Habu 2 while I built the Habu 32 (just finished) and am still struggling with landings. Once I get that down I am mainly planning the speed/weight increase learning that I believe the 32 will provide. And I am slowly building the Ultra Flash and will be learning turbine ops on the test stand.

There are a couple local fliers that have Ultra Flashes that have offered to assist me once I am ready to put her in the air.

Jeremy

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

The Habu 32 has a lot less elevator authority, its more like a Bandit than an UF. Set the Habu with no elevator Expo, but really they are nothing like each other. The Habu is higher loading and less drag, so even at full flap it keeps momentum, the UF has BIG flaps and lots of drag available if you use it all.

Really you won't gain a huge amount of stick knowledge from the Habu, but you will find the UF more stable and easier to see. The Habu has a high sink rate on landing, you would need to use the CROW set up to get this type of feel on the UF.

Dave
Old 06-13-2013, 02:17 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

ORIGINAL: spike5150

Thanks Dave - I appreciate the insight. I am really a heli guy that is getting into jets. One thing I learned from helis was that each time I got a bigger one the more stable it was and the more confidence it brought to my flying. I am trying to fast track my airplane skill set. I was flying the Habu 2 while I built the Habu 32 (just finished) and am still struggling with landings. Once I get that down I am mainly planning the speed/weight increase learning that I believe the 32 will provide. And I am slowly building the Ultra Flash and will be learning turbine ops on the test stand.

There are a couple local fliers that have Ultra Flashes that have offered to assist me once I am ready to put her in the air.

Jeremy

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

Dave
Jeremy

As a fellow helicopter pilot you will make a great fixed wing pilot, many of the best fly both it gives a throttle/rudder control that many fixed wing drivers miss.
The Habu 2 foamie is nearer the UF than the Habu 32 on control feel, but the higher loading on the 32 will hopefully teach you about stick feel, some aircraft give you lots of feed back through the stick, note when the sharpness of control goes and stick movement becomes greater before any response occurs...this is when its about to all go wrong and some acceleration is needed.

Biggest mistake people make is landing too fast and over controlling. Same with many choppers, over pitch and cyclic and the blades stall.

Sure you are in good hands though.

Dave
Old 06-15-2013, 04:36 AM
SR117

Hi

Just received my Ultra Flash in the New Fly Navy Scheme....  looks fantastic.  The Comp arf Quality is great...Will post pics one day soon. Most of my planes are very "Visible!!!!"..so this was the right scheme for me.

Its winter here so I will commence this as my next project once I get my Krill 3m back off my bench ( after some repairs are complete).. will post then.

Ive just spent a couple of hours digesting most of this thread. This is my first jet build..( have built a few large IMAC/3D aircraft).... this will be my second jet though...I have a Euro that I have had a couple of flights on...plan to use that and keep it while I build the UF.

The Euro was fantastic to fly...

First of all thanks guys for all the info.. really helpful. A great thread... took 3 hours to read through. Think I got more confused re the power plant by the end.

So JR 8411 for elevators are the only real option? no Futaba....I use Sbus so I wanted to go full sbus but Im guessing Ill have to use adapters.

Have ordered and received both sets of tanks as I intend to put smoke on this. Use Saddle or wing tank for smoke?

Landing gear use the recommended...I gather from the threads.

Powerplant....I am still tossing up using a P140 or P180 RX.   With the weight of the extra tanks considered which one is the go?  I like fast and I like to fly slow.....I dont mind paying the extra $$ for the 180 but dont want to take on a problem. ie too much weight...however I always have had models with extra boots in case needed... Im guessing its a personal choice...probably 140 is the answer..?

cheers

Old 06-15-2013, 06:33 AM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 180rx in an Ultra Flash...Are you serious? Ali's 160 powered ultra flash has been clocked at 298 and that seems a little fast for only having a couple flights on a Euro. Just trying to help, but I think the 140rx is the best option here plus you don't want it to be too heavy. 45lbs of thrust in this plane is a little much.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:47 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I looked at the Futaba web site and they have lots of sbus servos that are 20mm. The 8411's are 19. The stab is tight. You can make it fit but may have to grind away a little of inside of the upper skin. I have some new 9074SB servos and the aluminum cases measure exactly 20mm.

As for engines, the 140 is lots. Think fuel consumption and residual thrust if you're considering the 180.

PaulD
Old 06-15-2013, 12:46 PM
izzy

Today had 1 wheel lock in up position and has to do landing with front and left main leg
Landing was so slow with no head wing that almost no damage was done to body
Unfortunately I think my elevator live hinges skin lifted a tiny bit due to horns touching ground on last few meters
Can anyone shed some light on how to repair this ?
Thx izzy
Old 06-15-2013, 12:52 PM
TUMBLER
My Feedback: (13)

I just had to make that repair and have since put 17 flights on mine. I took a brush and spread Vaseline over the inside along the hinge line and then squeezed medium ca under the skin and then just pulled the elevator down and taped it to hold the skin agains the foam.

ORIGINAL: izzy

Today had 1 wheel lock in up position and has to do landing with front and left main leg
Unfortunately I think my elevator live hinges skin lifted a tiny bit due to horns touching ground on last few meters
Thx izzy
Old 06-15-2013, 01:00 PM
izzy

ORIGINAL: TUMBLER

I just had to make that repair and have since put 17 flights on mine. I took a brush and spread Vaseline over the inside along the hinge line and then squeezed medium ca under the skin and then just pulled the elevator down and taped it to hold the skin agains the foam.

Thx izzy
I had to do it once to a composite q40 pylon racer and used thin cyano.
Would thin cyano not work better ?
Whats the Vaseline for. I assume the cyano needs to penetrate the foam and glue to fiberglass. No?
Old 06-15-2013, 01:03 PM
TUMBLER

You need the Vaseline or wax to keep the glue out of the hinge line or you will have a really tight control surface. The skin was epoxied to the foam when the plane was molded so there will be a layer of epoxy on top of the foam so you are not going to penetrate that.....and you don't want to because the ca may eat the foam....I am not sure if it does or not though, You can use thin I am sure. I just wanted to make sure I filled any gaps and also wanted to give myself more working time.

Thx izzy
Whats the Vaseline for. I assume the cyano needs to penetrate the foam and glue to fiberglass. No?
Old 06-15-2013, 01:14 PM
izzy

I don't think i will be able to get cyano in afteri Vaseline the hinge line as it really only just lifted Will take stab apart and check

You need the Vaseline or wax to keep the glue out of the hinge line or you will have a really tight control surface. The skin was epoxied to the foam when the plane was molded so there will be a layer of epoxy on top of the foam so you are not going to penetrate that.....and you don't want to because the ca may eat the foam....I am not sure if it does or not though, You can use thin I am sure. I just wanted to make sure I filled any gaps and also wanted to give myself more working time.

Thx izzy
Old 06-15-2013, 01:16 PM
TUMBLER

The hinge one is pretty far from where you are going to need the glue. You will see there is about a 4-5mm gap in the foam that was cut out to allow the elevator to move. The hinge line is in the middle of this gap but still a few mm from where the foam touches the skin. You will see. .

I don't think i will be able to get cyano in afteri Vaseline the hinge line as it really only just lifted Will take stab apart and check

Thx izzy
Old 06-15-2013, 05:38 PM
SR117

thanks Guys for your reply. I had thought 140 but was concerned with the extra tanks I may find the unit lacking over time.....looks like that will be a no. Good news for my hip pocket $$
I build slow due to work/time available and family of course.. so this one wont roll off the table for half a year or maybe a year. Im sure I will have had many flights on the Euro by then...at least I hope so .
If the Euro survives I plan to bring it in when the UF is ready and update the Euro with thrust vector...big hopes but we have to have something to aim for.

Not sure I will try and go away frome the 8411s Id prefer not but it seems the only safe option for the elevators. thanks for the suggestion(s)

Any suggestions on the tank question. Would you go Saddles for smoke or wing tank....if you were using all 3 types. ie main and one other (set) for the fuel and the other one (set) for the smoke?

Thanks for all the information...it all helps.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:51 PM
LASHMETT75
My Feedback: (20)

I have 4 tanks in my UF. Main and wing tank for kero. 2 tanks forward on each side of the engine for smoke.

120 oz of Kero
40 oz of smoke
Jetcat Titan SE
and I get 6 mins of full power or 7.5 mins of mixed

James

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.