Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official Rustler Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 01:11 PM
passinuby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Rustler Thread

DayWalker,
Thanks for the reply man b/c this is concerning me that I might be ruining my expensive Lipo. You've been a great help. I am using a Triton Charger with a balancer. I'm charging at 2.5 amps and topping off after each charge. The battery is an 11.1V, 4000Mah Venom Lipo.

This is exactly what happened. Is this red light blinking on the ESC telling me that it is overheating? Is this why I just need to unplug it and wait a few seconds to plug it back in? What does this mean and am I doing something wrong?

I am definately running in sport mode.

Lately with a fresh battery after I just changed my spur gear to a new one (same size spur) the car is acting like it's dragging. I set the pinion and spur like the support video suggests but it acts like my transmission is dragging and I'm not getting a full blast of power each time I nail it. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39293.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	906870  
Old 03-18-2008, 01:35 PM
DrDaywalker

ok, im no pro with the gearing, but what it sounds like is that you have it geared to high.....or not properly for the system. The blinking red light is telling you that the battery is running at the minimum discharge rate....sometimes the when the esc gets hot it may think that the battery is too low in power, so it goes into safe mode. DO NOT TAKE IT OUT OF SAFE MODE. You will ruin your lipo if you turn this function off. If you have it geared improperly the motor is getting hot which in turn puts strain on the esc trying to push more power to it. When it gets too hot it gets confused and thinks there is a problem with the battery, so it shuts down to maintain itself. I would check your gearing or go back to the stock gearing for now, get yourself a wheelie bar and weigh down the front a bit and see if it still does this. If this doesnt fix your problem get that fan, if that dont work....contact traxxas, from what i understand they are pretty good about warranties and exchanges....but your LHS will not help with this. Let me know how it goes and if you have any more questions.

I have said it many times, I am not a pro..... I just know by trial and error, I am new to this too so take my info as helping but I would do a little more research also.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:03 PM
passinuby

Man look I appreciate any help you have to offer. I'm just concerned I'm doing something wrong.

I'm running stock gears and I've adjusted them properly according to Traxxas' support videos. Whatever is set up is acting like the transmission is in a bind or the motor is not performing at its peak. I feel everthing is set up right; good battery, good motor, good gear settings and correct ESC settings I just don't know why it doesn't have ample power like it normally does.

How will I recognize when the transmission goes out. Does it gradually go out or all the sudden? What are some symptoms of a bad transmission? I know it is plastic.

I'm going to take it apart and go over everything to make sure of all my settings. I'll let you know how that goes.

Once again thanks for your input man..

Name:	If10748.jpg
Views:	18
ID:	906896  
Old 03-18-2008, 05:22 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

Actually, I thought the VXL stock had stronger metal gears? I think i am correct... Also, that drag that you are having has to do with your slipper... try to adjust it using the manual for your truck.. Follow those directions and it should in theory return to the state it used to be in if you set the slipper to stock..

Good Luck
Rustler_Freak
Old 03-18-2008, 06:18 PM
DrDaywalker

good call rustler freak, i forgot to mention that in the last novel i wrote to him....lol I meant to tell him, take apart the slipper clutch and make sure the pads are still good too..... i cracked mine when i put the 11.1 v to it..... it was a cheap fix..... you want to tighten the clutch all the way and then start out with a full turn off.....then adjust it closer if you dont like the amount of slip it has. Thanks for the reminder on that one.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:51 PM
ltbigdog
My Feedback: (2)

I have a rustler that I bought on ebay and it was in ok shape, the only things that were wrong was the bushings were wore out and the truck looked like it had been dunked in water then rolled around in dirt. I played with it and was playing around one day and striped out one of the tranny gears. So instead of just fixing it I just bought a VXL Tranny and started tearing the truck apart and rebuilding it so as it sets right now.

All the RPM parts I can get for it
VXL Tranny
Traxxas Aluminum Turnbuckles (Blue)
MIP CVD Kit
Traxxas Aluminum Bellcrank (Blue)
Traxxas ANACONDA Street Tires
Traxxas TALON Tires that I pulled off a stampede
Stock 12T 550 motor but not original, burned it up
Stock XL-5 ESC but not original, went through some water and fried it
Stock STEERING SERVO
DuraTrax Bearing
Deans plugs
A basic yellow and white body for just running around I have a body being painted

Name:	Mk27625.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	907256  
Old 03-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Redvanmafia

You rustler guys are an alright bunch, but you no stampede's drop it like its hot, Nice trucks guys
Old 03-18-2008, 09:21 PM
rhino420

i also KNOW that the right way to spell KNOW is K N O W ..... but ltbigdog how much did u pay for your rusty on ebay ? im trying to sell mine but i dont know how much to sell it for
Old 03-18-2008, 10:07 PM
passinuby

Hey thanks for all the help Rustler Freak and Daywalker. I did exactly that and it fixed me up. I'm running like a top now.

Hey itbigdog when you're ready to run with the real Rustlers get you a VXL motor and ESC to go along with it. That will be the ultimate upgrade. You can then run a lipo and start tearing the rubber off those Stampede Talons. It's a whole nother ball game with a brushless system. You'll then be trying to add weight to the front end to keep it down and steer your banana... Good Luck with it... Hopefully it never went swimming.

Thanks guys.

Name:	Nl28515.jpg
Views:	10
ID:	907352  
Old 03-18-2008, 11:01 PM
ltbigdog

i also KNOW that the right way to spell KNOW is K N O W ..... but ltbigdog how much did u pay for your rusty on ebay ? im trying to sell mine but i dont know how much to sell it for
It cost me about $130. w/shipping, three batterys and cheap charger.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:11 PM
ltbigdog

Hey itbigdog when you're ready to run with the real Rustlers get you a VXL motor and ESC to go along with it. That will be the ultimate upgrade. You can then run a lipo and start tearing the rubber off those Stampede Talons. It's a whole nother ball game with a brushless system. You'll then be trying to add weight to the front end to keep it down and steer your banana... Good Luck with it... Hopefully it never went swimming.
I plan on putting a brushless system in it as soon as I save up some more $$$. But right now Im just trying it out in stock truck pulling geared 12/90 and 40# at 20 foot. Also it hasn't went swimming yet but I have took a wrong turn right into a puddle. (fried esc)
Old 03-19-2008, 12:23 AM
SixShooterInd

ive got an xl-5 and Im thinking about changing my gearing from the stock 23/86 to a 17/86 or 17/107 which would be better? im not looking for fast top speed but just alittle more run time on my batteries. i only rum out infront of my house or at a buddies backyard track. any thoughts?
Old 03-19-2008, 12:35 AM
ltbigdog

ive got an xl-5 and Im thinking about changing my gearing from the stock 23/86 to a 17/86 or 17/107 which would be better? im not looking for fast top speed but just alittle more run time on my batteries. i only rum out infront of my house or at a buddies backyard track. any thoughts?
I didnt know they make a 107 spur for the new rustys I have only found a 90 [sm=71_71.gif][sm=71_71.gif]
Old 03-19-2008, 12:58 AM
SixShooterInd

ORIGINAL: ltbigdog

I didnt know they make a 107 spur for the new rustys I have only found a 90 [sm=71_71.gif][sm=71_71.gif]
i think your right it is a 90 for some reson it has 107 stamped on it... yeas i had ti sit down and count teeth...lol thanks for catching that.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:33 PM
smartone

I just got my maxamps 2s 5000kv battery. However, i ordered my balancer like 2 days after i oredered the battery. Is it ok to charge it once or twice without balancing or not? thanks.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:37 PM
DrDaywalker

i charged mine like 6 or 7 times without the balancer....i havent had any problems, but i guess its up to your own discretion
Old 03-19-2008, 06:22 PM
smartone

ok i c. i dont think it will be the biggest deal. i just want to run it once to see how it goes. Hopefully the balancer comes tommorow before the long weekend. I dont know why, but i ordered mine with deans on it, and it didnt come with it.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:17 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

That Sucks that it didn't come with the deans... I am planning on going Li Po too soon. Have fun with yours,

Rusler_Freak
Old 03-20-2008, 01:27 AM
Mean Green
My Feedback: (1)

What non-stock shocks are most of you running? A friend runs Evader ST aluminum shocks on his (2 sets of rears) and the threaded adjustment is great. What others have you all had good luck with and find easy to spring pre-load? (I hate the clips)

I'm starting to shop for some.... thought about the Firestorm shocks, but they are a little prier, and think I would follow him with the Evader shocks.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:33 AM
warheadforever

Hay Mean Green, I have some duratrax stuff and, except for there batteries and chargers the stuff is cheep junk, and I would not recommend to anyone.

Here is what I would recommend you get.
(They are also available in Silver.)
Front.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRTX3&P=Z

Rear.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRTX5&P=Z

Hope this helps, and I hope the links work.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:39 AM
warheadforever

Hay, has anyone herd form stonecolded?
Old 03-21-2008, 02:50 AM
SixShooterInd

Does any one have problem with screws coming loos in their xl-5? So far i have lost both back wheels a number of times, yes i tightened them, and ive lost the top front shock mount screw, and a few others keep comming loose but i catch them before they fall out. Will loc tight work on plastic?
Old 03-21-2008, 07:35 AM
warheadforever

Hay, I'm the KING of loosing those things,([]) I seem to loose them every time I change the wheel, I use red lock-tight for them.
Also to answer you question, yes lock-tight works on plastic, but just remember that you are going to have a real tough time taking the out, if the need arises.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:34 PM
JamminHard2.5

yah i bet you are.[sm=75_75.gif] just kidding but everyone looses things.hahahahahahahahahahaha
Old 03-23-2008, 03:06 PM
omg no name

i have a XL-5 and i was wondering how do i lock the differental

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.