Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Broken bell crank.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:07 PM
dakotanut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken bell crank.

Once again, I have another broken part. I fired up my Volcano today and went to play with it. I had little to nothing on my steering. So, I get it over to me and find out that the bell crank is broken down near the bottom where it is on the chassis. Super glue didn't work. It just broke again. So what are my options? Is aluminum a better piece for this? Or do I need to do something else? How it broke I have no clue. May have been when I hit the curb and bent the chassis. Just didn't show up until today.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:20 PM
UrcHobby
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Broken bell crank.

Yes the Aluminum bell crank is good to do and is alot stronger then the stock plastic. http://www.urchobby.com/proddetail.php?prod=122057
Old 09-28-2009, 03:40 AM
jeztur2003
My Feedback: (1)

http://www.shop.redcatracingproducts...set-122057.htm And yes ofcourse aluminum is way stronger than plastic.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:14 AM
UrcHobby

ORIGINAL: jeztur2003

http://www.shop.redcatracingproducts...set-122057.htm And yes ofcourse aluminum is way stronger than plastic.
WOW, It says you have over 100,000 of them instock.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:05 AM
dakotanut

I can't find a pic of it. Anywhere! Would yall happen to have some? That away I can tell you exactly what it is and we can go from there? Thanks. I'm not sure what it is exactly. I just know it has to do with the steering. It is the piece on the servo side on the bolt that sticks up. There is one on the tank side also but it is different. Then there are some turnbuckles that mount to them and then to the spindles that the tires mount to. Is this clear enough. I'd put up a pic but for some reason my camera and laptop don't like each other today.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:03 AM
UrcHobby

ORIGINAL: dakotanut

I can't find a pic of it. Anywhere! Would yall happen to have some? That away I can tell you exactly what it is and we can go from there? Thanks. I'm not sure what it is exactly. I just know it has to do with the steering. It is the piece on the servo side on the bolt that sticks up. There is one on the tank side also but it is different. Then there are some turnbuckles that mount to them and then to the spindles that the tires mount to. Is this clear enough. I'd put up a pic but for some reason my camera and laptop don't like each other today.
Here you go. Here is the aluminum setup
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23241.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1284141  
Old 09-28-2009, 01:22 PM
dakotanut

Is that for both sides? That is what I need then if it is. Are there any more items to go with that?
Old 09-28-2009, 03:32 PM
UrcHobby

Yes it does both sides. The only other item you can get is the aluminum steering link (Ackerman plate) that is the bar that connects from one bell crank to the other. I just sold my last one this past weekend but will have more in a few days it is part number 122040
Old 09-28-2009, 06:29 PM
dakotanut

Ok. Where do I go?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Mickstix

To get the aluminum steering kit that's pictured?.. Here ya go: UnlimitedRCHobby I see he posted that he was out of the "ackerman" arm, but I think he has the part #122057 that's pictured, in stock..

Ok. Where do I go?
Old 09-29-2009, 09:12 AM
dakotanut

It is a done deal. Ordered it last night. Kurt is also making me a list of upgrades that will make my Volcano a bit stronger. That is very helpful. Just have to wait on the Acherman arm now. Mine isn't broken. Just the bell crank. So, I hope to be able to run it soon.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:42 AM
sputnikwood

I found this while googling.

02075 Steering Bell Crank
http://allaboutfunhobbies.com/store/...products_id/49

02025 Servo Saver Set
http://allaboutfunhobbies.com/store/...oducts_id/1013

Can I use the left bell crank in replacement for the right (w/servo saver) because I am already using a servo saver on the steering servo?

Old 09-29-2009, 10:10 AM
dakotanut

After further investigation, I've noticed that the one part looks like it is in 2 pieces. Just like in URCHobby's post pic. Is it supposed to look like this? Do I need to tighten something or what? I'm confused now. LOL. I know what mine looks like now. I just don't have a pic of it on the vehicle. I thought a servo saver went on the servo. Not the bell crank. I don't know so that is why I'm asking. This is a great forum with very helpful people. I hope to be as knowledgeable as yall some day.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:28 AM
UrcHobby

The servo saver is on your bell crank up in the front where your tie rods hook up. If you turn the steering on you remote and the front wheels don't want to turn but you see the servo arm it self is traveling and the servo saver is separating and not moving then you can tighten the knurled nut on top of the servo saver and this tightens the spring for the servo saver. They do loosen up over time. Yea some cars do have the servo saver on the servo arm that is attached to the servo. Many new cars like yours have the servo saver built into the bell crank setup.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:37 AM
sputnikwood

Yeah, the servo saver built into the bell crank I think over time will loosen up even after tightening it back up. I threadlocked the adjustable silver "screw" so it will stay in place. It's also important not to over tighten it, you will have to leave some slack for the saver to do its job.

i looked at the bell cranks again, opps i guess the left bell crank can't be used on the right due to it having only one arm instead of two on the right.

Name:	Bz79031.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	1284808  
Old 09-29-2009, 02:35 PM
dakotanut

Ok. So mine isn't broken. Just loose. Then I can play with it still. Good. I still want the aluminum parts though. I'll take a look at it when I get home. I hope so. I really like to run this thing and get to know it better. That away when I get to the track I'm better and better. Now I'm confused. I took this Volcano apart. I had to replace the chassis. You would think I would have noticed this. The bolt/screw that it goes on to is a pain to get out of the chassis. I would think I would have noticed it. So I need to just tighten that nut thing on top of the bellcrank?
Old 09-29-2009, 02:57 PM
UrcHobby

Yes just tighten the nut but not too much that it locks it completely solid. You want it to have a little spring play, so if you hit anything with the front tire it does not strip your steering servo gears.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:48 PM
dakotanut

Ok. Got it. Now to mess with it when I get home. YAY!
Old 09-29-2009, 08:13 PM
dakotanut

Ok. Here it goes. I found the problem. Once again I'm tired of all of this broken stuff. Any ways, I took it all apart. Found that the adjustment thing for the spring is stuck on so tight that I had to use the vise to get it off. So now the sleeve that the bell crank/servo saver rests/rides on is toast. So I need that also. Then I turned on the thing to check out the servo. It goes all the way to the ESC/battery box and hits it. So I opened it up and found the gears were all stripped. So now I need 2 more parts. I would like to go with a better servo. I'm not sure about that sleeve thing. I can't find it anywhere. This is just great. What is next?
Old 09-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Mickstix

This is just great. What is next?
Hehe.. (sorry to laugh, but we've all been throughthe same thing)Welcome to the wonderful world of RC cars!!Next to go will probably be the next plastic piece down, from the aluminum stuff.. I dont like to go all aluminum though,cause once it gets so ridig with all thealuminum, then the aluminum stuff breaks, and then it gets even more expensive.. The only real downside torunning these Redcat products is that we have to order all our parts.. The HP and Traxxas, AE, ect. stuff can usually be bought at theLHS, but they all break if ya play with em' enough..Once ya get so your not hittin curbs and stuff it'll be alot easier on thewallet!!Good luck!!!
Old 09-29-2009, 10:28 PM
UrcHobby

Ok. Here it goes. I found the problem. Once again I'm tired of all of this broken stuff. Any ways, I took it all apart. Found that the adjustment thing for the spring is stuck on so tight that I had to use the vise to get it off. So now the sleeve that the bell crank/servo saver rests/rides on is toast. So I need that also. Then I turned on the thing to check out the servo. It goes all the way to the ESC/battery box and hits it. So I opened it up and found the gears were all stripped. So now I need 2 more parts. I would like to go with a better servo. I'm not sure about that sleeve thing. I can't find it anywhere. This is just great. What is next?
Bill is this what you need to get you up and going?

Name:	Wu59646.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1285202  
Old 09-30-2009, 08:11 AM
dakotanut

Yes that will do it. I PMed you Kurt. I'm going to get the servo here locally. I'm going for an all metal geared servo. I hope I can get one that is inexpensive. I have no clue as to what to buy. If you don't think that this is bad, my Rustler also has a bad servo and receiver. I haven't used it at all since I got the new receiver and Sidewinder System. I turned it on and the ESC had all of the LED's flashing. So since they are both down, I put the Redcat receiver in the Rustler to test and the ESC worked. If it isn't one thing with me it is something else. Amazing isn't it? You know, there is good luck and bad luck. I've heard people say I'd rather have bad luck than no luck at all. Well, I have no luck at ALL! None!
Old 09-30-2009, 10:54 AM
UrcHobby

I sent you out the servo any way. Let me know if you need anything else.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:55 AM
dakotanut

I do and will. All I can say is thanks. I don't know what else to do. You are the dude. My support to you now.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:34 PM
dakotanut

I'm pissed off now. I got the bellcrank/servo saver and servo in. Got it all put back together and fired it up. Besides it dieing every once and awhile it lost steering again. I could hear some popping noises. So I go and get it and notice that servo is popping. Which ever way I move the wheels. It moves but pops and stutters. So I take it back apart and remove the servo. Open it up and one of the gears is stripped. JUST GREAT! Brand new and already broken. WTH? I took some pic's. Maybe yall can tell what I'm doing wrong or what is wrong. I have 2 questions. Is the Ackerman arm supposed to be tightly screwed to the bell crank? Are the turnbuckles supposed to be on top of the arm by the wheel of below it? Now for the pic's.

Name:	Ge94927.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1287717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95929.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	1287718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43432.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	1287719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22162.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	1287720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw19937.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1287721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Du20341.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	1287722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pr25158.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	1287723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fe14959.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1287724  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq17087.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1287725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ug43055.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	1287726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou87155.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	1287727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lv87764.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1287728  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.