Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Three line fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 12:56 PM
rexbirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three line fuel system

After untold years of using two line systems I am ready to try a three line system. The question I have is; what do you use to hold the two clunks together? I don't want them coming loose and getting the lines tangled up.

My three gasers now all have two line systems with a Tee in the line to the carb with a line from that running to a fuel dot. From what I am seeing a lot of people use a three line system instead. Is there any problem with using a tee in the fuel feed line on a two line system to fill thru as I am now?
Old 11-25-2011, 01:07 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Three line fuel system

Most people do not fasten the clunks together but you can connect them with a zip tie if you like.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Why do you want to still use the tee if you;re doing a three line system ??
If it ain't broke, don't fix it....Only problem with a two line is if the tee leaks....
Old 11-25-2011, 01:35 PM
repinfl
My Feedback: (40)

I think,for gas,the two line system is KISS! I have used three but
position the "second" (fuel/de-fuel)line in the tank straight
down as to not interfere with the engine pick up clunk.(Do this
mainly for nitro engine.)
Old 11-25-2011, 01:37 PM
rexbirk

My bad, I am using tee's now with my two line systems but was reading that some have had air leaks around the tees. I am also concerned that the air in the line to the fuel dot could cause fuel draw issues when the carb tries to pump thru the line.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Antique

Yup, another place to leak...Use zip ties...
Old 11-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been running three line setups for as long as I can remember, more than 10 years, and have never "tied" the clunks together in any way. Even when doing rolling harriers I've never had an issue with them becoming tangled. I have had issues with the TEE leaking when I was using a two line system and that's the reason I'm using a three line now.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:22 PM
TheRickster
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been using the "T" for as long as I can remember with no issues.. Simply a personal preference...

Rick
Old 11-25-2011, 05:31 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

When you live in an area that can be as humid as the Caribbean can be at times, having a Tee fitting in the feed line to the engine can cause problems other than an air leak, so the three line system works best for me.

Karol
Old 11-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Ed

" Is there any problem with using a tee in the fuel feed line on a two line system to fill thru as I am now? "

With a -T-, you are introducing 3 more potential air leak points, rather then a straight line to the Carb. Think about it. Another point is that some people use a filtered clunk. If you use a -T- with a filtered clunk, then you are putting unfiltered gas directly into the Carb line. To filter properly using a filtered clunk, you must use a 3 line system.

ed
Old 11-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Rick Sowell
My Feedback: (2)

Why would you need a clunk on the Fill/defueling line? I have used a 3 line system for years also, and have just run the fill/defuel line to the bottom corner of the tank. it pulls all but about a teaspoon of fuel out. never have had a problem with the lines getting tangled.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:21 AM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Rick Sowell

Why would you need a clunk on the Fill/defueling line? I have used a 3 line system for years also, and have just run the fill/defuel line to the bottom corner of the tank. it pulls all but about a teaspoon of fuel out. never have had a problem with the lines getting tangled.
Because people love making simple things complicated. Bragging rights?? Gadget nature?? .. your guess is as good as mine [:@]
I have examples (from this very forum) for every one of your fingers and probably the toes as well)

Old 11-26-2011, 05:56 AM
Jezmo

ORIGINAL: Ed

'' Is there any problem with using a tee in the fuel feed line on a two line system to fill thru as I am now? ''

With a -T-, you are introducing 3 more potential air leak points, rather then a straight line to the Carb. Think about it. Another point is that some people use a filtered clunk. If you use a -T- with a filtered clunk, then you are putting unfiltered gas directly into the Carb line. To filter properly using a filtered clunk, you must use a 3 line system.

ed
Very good point Ed.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:03 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

You running one or two lines to the header tank?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34515.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1691468  
Old 11-26-2011, 08:32 AM
Antique

Gassers don't need or use the pressure tap and Cline regulator, it's built into the carb...That;s where the idea for the Cline regulator came from, a Walbro pump...
Old 11-26-2011, 09:49 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Besides the reasons stated in favor of a three line tank, such as less possible leak points and not introducing air into the line going to the carb when re-fueling, there is another reason I like three line systems. With a two line fuel system, you are putting the fuel in before the tank clunk/filter, and can introduce crud into the fuel line and between the filter and the carb. Any crud that gets pumped will actually be trapped on the wrong side of the clunk/filter, and will go straight to the carb when the engine is run. With a three line system, the clunk/filer and line to the carb remain closed, and all fuel is filtered before it goes to the carb.

This assumes you are using a clunk/filter like the Walbro felt one, which you should be doing....

AV8TOR
Old 11-26-2011, 10:38 AM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

ORIGINAL: Ed

" Is there any problem with using a tee in the fuel feed line on a two line system to fill thru as I am now? "

ed
ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

Besides the reasons stated in favor of a three line tank, such as less possible leak points and not introducing air into the line going to the carb when re-fueling, there is another reason I like three line systems. With a two line fuel system, you are putting the fuel in before the tank clunk/filter, and can introduce crud into the fuel line and between the filter and the carb. Any crud that gets pumped will actually be trapped on the wrong side of the clunk/filter, and will go straight to the carb when the engine is run. With a three line system, the clunk/filer and line to the carb remain closed, and all fuel is filtered before it goes to the carb.

This assumes you are using a clunk/filter like the Walbro felt one, which you should be doing....

AV8TOR
Lets not make this any harder than it has to be. Simply put and inline filter up near the carb and use a 2 line system.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68423.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	1691581  
Old 11-26-2011, 10:57 AM
rexbirk

Wahoo,

Do you know who makes the filter in your post?
Old 11-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: TheRickster

Been using the ''T'' for as long as I can remember with no issues.. Simply a personal preference...

Rick
+1

Two line and three line fuel systems are a subject like oil and what brand of radio is best. There will always be different opinions with as many supporting reasons for the system that is chosen by the user.

I'm a 2 line guy, have never had a problem with a "T" leaking and I don't get crud in my carb screens as the fuel going into the system is well filtered.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:44 AM
apalsson

Been using the ''T'' for as long as I can remember with no issues.. Simply a personal preference...

Rick
Same here
If it's done properly, there are no issues with it
Old 11-26-2011, 11:56 AM
oldtyme

If gassers don't need or use the pressure system then even on a two-line system, what do you use the second line for? Just a vent?
Sorry, I'm brand new to gas.

Andy
Old 11-26-2011, 11:59 AM
apalsson

Just a vent line
Old 11-26-2011, 12:00 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

Rick
+1

Two line and three line fuel systems are a subject like oil and what brand of radio is best. There will always be different opinions with as many supporting reasons for the system that is chosen by the user.

I'm a 2 line guy, have never had a problem with a "T" leaking and I don't get crud in my carb screens as the fuel going into the system is well filtered.
+2 I use a 2 line system and never had any problems. If done right...you will not have problems. Also it is good to leave some gas in the tank to keep carb moist. Capt,n
Old 11-26-2011, 12:04 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: oldtyme

If gassers don't need or use the pressure system then even on a two-line system, what do you use the second line for? Just a vent?
Sorry, I'm brand new to gas.

Andy
The second line lets air into the tank as the engine pulls out the gas. You do not want to create a vacume in tank. Just think more about it!!!!
Old 11-26-2011, 03:06 PM
mbinkley

Thats the reson for the leak in the T so you dont need a vent line

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.