Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA Ignition Module

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 08:45 PM
stroker280
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA Ignition Module

Is there any way to check the DA ignition module to see if it's good other than the RCexl module checker? Does this make sense? I have the little electronic module from RCexl to check the ignition modules with. What I'am trying to say will it work to check the DA ignition modules. My original DA ignition module quite best I can tell. Ordered a new one from Chief Aircraft and it doesn't work either and doesn't work checking it with the little electronic module checker. The little checker works on my DLE ignition modules but it indicates both of my DA modules are bad including the new one I just got the other day. 140.00 dollars a pop is no joke for these things. Now I know why I'am seeing a lot of DA engines for sale here lately. Just wondering if the little module checker is compatiable with the DA modules. By the way I have a Da-50.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 10-13-2012, 09:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: DA Ignition Module

Are you serious? a DA actually failed? I don't believe it [X(]!!!!
This is a cut and paste from the sticky. BTW did you replace your hall sensor?

Below is JediJodi's instructions for a dle/rcexel
Take an old expendable servo extension and cut off the male plug end, separate the wires, strip a bit of insulation from each of the 3 leads and plug the other end into the sensor lead on the ignition module.

Put a good spark plug in the cap, doesn't need to be all the way seated but far enough for the hex of the plug to make good contact with the metal shell of the plug cap, plug a fully charged 4 cell battery directly into the ignition.

Test for battery voltage at the red and black wires of the test extension you made and plugged into the sensor lead of the module, if there is no voltage replace the module, if there is battery voltage->

Short the white and black wires together, every time you break this connection there should be a spark, no or intermittent spark=bad module, has good spark->

Remove the test lead and plug the sensor on the engine into the module and turn the engine over, no spark, replace the sensor, good spark->

Remove the spark plug, look down into the plug cap and turn the engine over, if you see spark arcing through the silicone boot to the metal shell, replace the spark plug cap, no visible spark but you hear a snap->

Put a small screw driver into the bottom of the cap, turn the engine over and you should observe spark jumping from the screw driver to the plug cap shell outside of the silicone boot, an arc of about 1/4"-3/8", if it does this there is nothing wrong with the ignition, if you hear an arc but it's not in the cap with the screw driver, it could be a problem with the
resistor in the cap or the high tension lead where it goes into the cap, replace the plug cap.

All of this can be done on a bench, the plug does not need to be grounded to the engine.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:59 PM
stroker280

Thanks for the reply mate. Hows everything down under. I will try that tomorrow. I had a concern about grounding the plug or a screwdriver like you mentioned but I will give it a try. I didn't replace the hall sensor because the only part online I could find for a DA-50 was the ignition module and the prop hub. I also have the RCexl conversion I bought for this motor also. I will call Chief on Monday if I find the new module I just bought is bad.

Thanks again
Jeff
Old 10-14-2012, 02:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

G'day Jeff, everything is good down under at the moment, no floods or bushfires to speak of. Hope you are as lucky up there.
Back to the engine... I doubt you got a dud one as a replacement, but not impossible, do the check as posted above, I'm guessing hall sensor.
Take out your kill switch if you have one to eliminate possibilities.
Hope it works out for you
BTW if you need parts go here http://www.desertaircraft.com/index.php
every part isn't on their site but make contact and they will help you with what you need.
Regards Mark
Old 10-14-2012, 04:09 AM
stroker280

Mark
Just got home from work and ran outside to the shop and checked like you mentioned. Your right it's definately the hall sensor. I had the spark plug out and spun the motor over with the elec. starter and moved the wires around on the hall sensor andthe plugstarted firing. Both modules are fine. I didn't even need a new one. I was trying to check the modules with the RCexl module tester. It doesn't work with the DA modules. It works great with the RCexl modules and that was what had me puzzled. Also when you check the voltage out on the DA modules with a multi meter the voltage read was .06 volts. Not the full voltage of the battery either. Thanks for the help mate. I will have two new hall sensors on the way Monday. Hope this helps anyone else having problems with their modules.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 10-14-2012, 10:33 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The DA ignition systems and their sensors operate completely differently than the CH Ignitions and RCEXL ignitions. The RCEXL ignition checker will not work on the DA, and I don't believe Jodi's well written test procedure for CH and RCEXL will work on them either.

AV8TOR
Old 10-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jody`s instructions are good for Rcexl, nothing wrong with them.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:07 PM
av8tor1977

You might have misunderstood me; I agree entirely. Jodi's instructions work perfectly for CH Ignitions and for RCEXL.

However, they are not for DA Engines ignitions. The DA Engines ignition is a completely different system.

AV8TOR
Old 10-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

You are correct, I read it as it wouldn't work on Rcexl either. My bad....
Old 10-14-2012, 10:30 PM
av8tor1977

AV8TOR
Old 10-15-2012, 08:34 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Capt,n
Old 10-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Ernie Misner

Are the DA modules made in the USA, how much $, and are they a viable option for replacing the ignitions on Chinese engines?

Thanks,

Ernie Misner
Old 10-15-2012, 10:53 AM
av8tor1977

I seriously doubt it. And there is nothing wrong with the RCEXL ignitions. CH Ignitions are commonly believed to be the best there are. CH collaborated with RCEXL, and had RCEXL make some changes to their ignitions before they would agree to import them and sell them alongside their CH units. RCEXL is a good ignition, and for around 50 bucks or so, the price is quite good too.

The only problems I have heard of about the RCEXL systems is when someone insists on running them on more than the factory recommended 6 volts max. They work fine on 4.8 volts.

AV8TOR
Old 10-15-2012, 04:42 PM
aerobear
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Are the DA modules made in the USA, how much $, and are they a viable option for replacing the ignitions on Chinese engines?

Thanks,

Ernie Misner
DA ignition is made in Australia. If my DA ignition dies it will be replaced by RCexl. You don't hear about DA problems
much, most likely because the owners just send it in rather than try and figure out what's wrong. Not that there's
anything wrong with that, just a different business model.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:44 PM
bcchi

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

I seriously doubt it. And there is nothing wrong with the RCEXL ignitions. CH Ignitions are commonly believed to be the best there are. CH collaborated with RCEXL, and had RCEXL make some changes to their ignitions before they would agree to import them and sell them alongside their CH units. RCEXL is a good ignition, and for around 50 bucks or so, the price is quite good too.

The only problems I have heard of about the RCEXL systems is when someone insists on running them on more than the factory recommended 6 volts max. They work fine on 4.8 volts.

AV8TOR
I find out things on this forum that I do not even no about.Funny how other people find out about these things.
BCCHI-Grumpy no two.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:58 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

ORIGINAL: aerobear

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Thanks,

Ernie Misner
DA ignition is made in Australia. If my DA ignition dies it will be replaced by RCexl. You don't hear about DA problems
much, most likely because the owners just send it in rather than try and figure out what's wrong. Not that there's
anything wrong with that, just a different business model.
I friend's died. Symptons were several dead sticks and the engine became more difficult to start as failure progressed, this spanned two seasons. New module solved problem,