Default RE: RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

Happy B-Day!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Piston
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Pat
Can't argue with the logic. As I wrote some time ago, and I was quoting you... static rpm and simple thrust mechanisms tell only a small part of the story. You are absolutely correct.
I don't agree with one statement you made though... nobody wants to pay for quality.. all they want is cheap...... What I don't agree is the word cheap.... I would change it to inexpensive. What guys do want is a quality engine at a reasonable price. It is how their thought processes work when they decide to buy the cheapest engines in the market place and hope that it performs like an extremely more expensive engine, that sometimes sets me back and has me shaking my head.

The engines made in Europe are good. There is no doubt in that. The issue is that there is a limited market for those fella's that want to pay nearly $700 for a 28cc engine -especially when the plane was bought second hand for $100. Most of the new planes - for instance - in the 20-40cc category will generally sell for under $500......Add the engine, servos and accessories and you will see $600 - $1000 of investment. This is a sweet spot for most flyers for that size of plane.

When customers buy product from us, we are always asking about what they are flying, how long they have had the plane or how long do they intend to keep a particular plane. The answers we get - have guys generally keeping airplanes for 2 - 3 years and then selling them for something new. The survey is by no means conclusive but for our company it shows that guys are always looking to try and fly different planes/engines etc. And what they want in a product is that it will perform to their expectations. In terms of engines, they want an engine that will run reliably, start easily, and give them minimal problems - but at a price they are willing to pay. You know what their justification is?..... In five years time there will be something newer and hopefully better and at a good price. Why do they want to spend a Porsche price when a Chevy price gives them most everything that they want.

And this is what our business strives to do. We provide products at a fair competitive price that will satisfy the performance and quality needs for its customers. Service is also a big part of it. Guys buy the cheap end of the spectrum and they can often spend a lot of time fiddling and fudging. Many guys love that sort of stuff and the best to them. But often you get the guys who can't really afford anything else and so instead opt for the product and end up being a nightmare for the company that sold them the product. Yes... you will get the fella's that have good success with these products too, but I agree with you that you get what you pay for.

You mention Walmart. Walmart is also one of the most successful businesses on the planet. They are definitely doing something right aren't they? You won't see many high end products there, but you do see families that make minimum wage to millions of $ shopping there regularly. Why... The products are sold for the price that the consumers are willing to pay. Their service policies are fair too. Why pay $1000 for a product that they can buy for $100 and get pretty well the same satisfaction from it? This is a strong feature and a draw of Walmart. In fact now you have the main stream big players producing products for them. These producers would rather make a 1,000,000 sales and take a lot smaller profit, than produce and sell a lot higher quality products with lower quantities. Oh.. and don't forget Target either....

Okay back to engine performance -
What is missing in your discussion (it is not criticism by any means). Efficiency... how the power is used and where is it in the rpm scale. There are engines that will produce their maximum torque only at high rpm. Since most of us fly at the mid range level for 95% of most flights, there is unrealized power. How efficient is the engine at maintaining prop speed in the mid range when you are doing an upline? Many engines have a weak mid range and the props will slow the engine, and the pilot will have to work the throttles. Look at videos of planes in a hover. Listen to the engines. Is the pilot continually burping the engine to maintain a position or is the engine providing enough power to keep the propeller turning without losing rpm?

There is no argument that for a given volume of fuel, there is a maximum number of btu that can be generated. It is how efficiently the BTU are converted to usable power that the fun starts. Some engines do it very well, others don't.

So, even though the power differences in similar size cc engines may be minor, performance factors can be miles apart. This separates the great engines from the not so great engines. It is this area that a lot discussions focus on.
You don't need expensive equipment except for your eyes and ears to determine an engines worth with this.

And Pat is correct when he says that weather differences, and how people tune an engine can affect the overall performance of engines. One persons rpm reading today could easily change tomorrow. The prop that a person uses will most definitely affect final performance.

But in the overall scheme of things, it will boil down to this.... An product with great quality/performance features selling at a reasonable price that the consumers are willing to pay will trump in sales and volume a product that may have greater quality/performance features selling at a much higher price. All things considered of course.

Here's a final thought....
In the 1940's after the end of the war. The Japanese economy and businesses were all but destroyed. Their products produced were of the poorest quality. An American - W.Edwards Deming basically single handedly transformed a country into an economic powerhouse.
My point....... one country or a company does not hold the secret to building a great product.

Cheers
Henry

Old 10-18-2010, 01:35 PM
apalsson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

I will post later what I think the Hoopala is about.....right now I am going to my exe exam....and Today is my Birthday to try & enjoy!!!!!!!!!!! Capt,n[img][/img]
Mate, I don't see any Hoopala unless you intend to kick up one. I fail to see the reason why.
Please also note that several people who actually know their stuff (T.O.M., Piston, Milton, Ralph) have already made their comments, all valid ones and solid points made on many years of experience and knowledge

On the other hand, I wish you Happy Birthday!!!!!!! Enjoy the day!
Old 10-18-2010, 02:17 PM
apalsson

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Truth be told, the strongest engines are not made in either America or China, but Germany and Belgium. The German engine has been proven thousands of times over to last pretty near as long, or longer than a Zenoa, but nobody wants to pay for quality. All they want is cheap.
I think you may have wanted to say Germany and Czech Republic
Old 10-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Tseres

While we are talking about countries. Here is something from Oz.

Santa came early this year. I just wish he had left the weather at the North Pole.

It's another piece for my IMAC plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84240.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1518991  
Old 10-18-2010, 02:52 PM
apalsson

Hey Tom,

NICE!!!!

I don't want to make you jealous or brag but I'm also in the process of upsizing - I am ordering a fully composite Raven (2.7M) from Polland, www.airtrade.pl
The initial order will be two of them, full composite, custom painted, a 116cc twin cyl engine of a certain Czech brand we won't mention, Power Distribution etc.

We are looking into being the Distriutors for Airtrade in Australia and New Zealand if all goes well
Move over CompArf - here we come

Not that I'm bragging here .... but ..... LOL
Old 10-18-2010, 02:53 PM
plane addicts
My Feedback: (271)

Very nice motor you have there.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apalsson;

Close enough

Piston,

You made this statement earlier:

"You mention Walmart. Walmart is also one of the most successful businesses on the planet. They are definitely doing something right aren't they? You won't see many high end products there, but you do see families that make minimum wage to millions of $ shopping there regularly. Why... The products are sold for the price that the consumers are willing to pay. Their service policies are fair too. Why pay $1000 for a product that they can buy for $100 and get pretty well the same satisfaction from it? This is a strong feature and a draw of Walmart. In fact now you have the main stream big players producing products for them. These producers would rather make a 1,000,000 sales and take a lot smaller profit, than produce and sell a lot higher quality products with lower quantities. Oh.. and don't forget Target either...."

I agree in principle but most can't seem to understand that the success of either of the businesses named generated a large portion of the destruction of the American production jobs base. They also forced the closure of a lot of local area small businesses wherever one of the big stores opened. People got a lot more than they paid for but unfortunately it was not in a direction they were contemplating. You saved $10.00 at the check out counter but you drove $1,000.00 worth of wages and profits out of the city, county, and country when you put that $10.00 in your pocket.

I disagree with not having the market for a good 28CC (or other sized) engine in a higher price class. Some companies sell all they can make and what very little is left over is sold to the hobby market. The best quality has a price. Always has and always will. What we have is a certain hobby population that really can't afford to be doing what they would like to do, so products were tailor made to fit their limited budget. The practice has worked out rather well in some respects. However, I foresee a large price increase for everyone on the horizon. It will come in ignition price increases.

Now one area I find certain Asian manufacturers to be extremely stupid. Yes, I said stupid, perhaps even beyond that. For less than $8.00 U.S. dollars they could make slight changes in their product lines and compete with the best of the best. But, no, all they want is as much money as they can grab today in order to have capital to re-start under a different name next week. Until they lose their personal arrogance (meaning pull their heads out of...) they will never be at the top of the engine food chain. They might make a lot of engines but long term reliability and life cycle will not be among their stong points. I'll be the last one in the world to bet a $300,000.00 airframe and $75,000.00 camera on an Asian engine product. Forget betting a life on them. The companies you represent are the worst of the lot.

Regarding the missing efficiency statement. I didn't forget it it, I don't bother to mention it anymore because it falls in with torque and RPM crossover. All people want to hear is how many RPM their engine will turn with this or that prop. Takes us back to propeller efficiency where most don't understand that different props are efficient in different RPM bands but not in others. All they want is the most RPM they can get from their engines, failing to understand all that high RPM is absolutely unneccessary when the engine is propped and used correctly for the application/type of flying. Unless they are racing those high RPM numbers are useless. I have this arguement all the time with a friend of mine. I can efficiently pull a 44 pound plane with a 28CC engine but it's done at lower RPM than most would find acceptable in this thread. You can efficiently fly a 140+ pound plane with a 100CC engine. You only need to know what you're doing.

Mid range can be tuned better in most engines via the pop off spring and jetting, but it takes a lot of time and effort to find that sweet spot. Squish design impacts this as well, but everyone keeps copying the same design. Smarter to prop and tune for the mid range, especially since most engines come with carbs that are truly most effective at only one end of the throttle response cycle.

OK, now that i've really stirred the pot I'll get out so I can see all the fun stuff that pops up in response to the above

In the mean time we can all sit back and enjoy the "my 28cc is better than your 28-30cc engine" until the moon turns purpal. It really is interesting to see all the stuff people come up with to pull an extra erg out of these small engines
Old 10-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: apalsson

Hey Tom,

NICE!!!!

I don't want to make you jealous or brag but I'm also in the process of upsizing - I am ordering a fully composite Raven (2.7M) from Polland, www.airtrade.pl
The initial order will be two of them, full composite, custom painted, a 116cc twin cyl engine of a certain Czech brand we won't mention, Power Distribution etc.

We are looking into being the Distriutors for Airtrade in Australia and New Zealand if all goes well
Move over CompArf - here we come

Not that I'm bragging here .... but ..... LOL
Thats Great. I know things are changing there at a fast rate also. Good luck with getting the distributorship. Have you thought about sponsoring anyone in the States. Maybe not a great flyer but one that can test durability at a rapid pace? (Like Me)

I'm putting my new engine in a PAU Extra. Not on the market for a few more weeks. No Rush. I got till spring. Now I'll probably hear how I can get a different brand that is better and cheaper. Like I did when I got my 30%. But it's my favorite plane and I'm getting it for me and not someone else. I just thought I'd add that before to much comment was made. Of course I'll give updates throughout the winter of my progress. So stay tuned.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:03 PM
apalsson

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man
I agree in principle but most can't seem to understand that the success of either of the businesses named generated a large portion of the destruction of the American production jobs base. They also forced the closure of a lot of local area small businesses wherever one of the big stores opened. People got a lot more than they paid for but unfortunately it was not in a direction they were contemplating. You saved $10.00 at the check out counter but you drove $1,000.00 worth of wages and profits out of the city, county, and country when you put that $10.00 in your pocket.
I wanted to throw in my 2c worth here because this very point strikes close to home for me. I seem to have spent a career in industries that are subject to the same trend, or first the electronics industry as an Ellectronics Engineer and later years, IT Service industry. In my early days, we all sat there happily repairing peoples' TV sets, radios and other electronic goods. How many hours do you pay a repair shop to repair and service your TV now?
Again, the IT game, I own and operate service centres where we provide warranty repairs of laptops from a few of the bigger vendors. A decent laptop used to eb around $3k, not you pick up one for $500.
Are they the same quality as before? Are the TVs as good as they used to be? Probably not.

We will simply have to accept and live with the fact that competition pushes down prices and forces out of business labour intensive, low volume industries. The sooner we accept this as a fact and learn to take advantage of the change, the sooner we can get on with other, bigger and better things. People have less disposable cash these days and are therefore more likely to pick the lesser cost item.
The market does not sustain a western run industry with the kind of salaries, wages and conditions westerners are used to or find acceptable.

There will always be a market for the top quality brands though (both the German and the Czech Republic one) but people will still buy based on price.
Most hobby modelers only run their engines in a lifetime as you run yours in a week or a month.

There is plenty of room for everyone here.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

ORIGINAL: michel gravelle

Hi

I have a question about the Aero YD-56 .

In the spec,s it says that it has a top range of 9500 RPM . And that it accepts a 25 X 8 prop , I was wondering what RPM I could expect ?

Michel
You are stacking two different extremes

The engine is not going to turn a 25 X 8 at 9500 rpm

Hi

The only thing I stack is donuts

I didn,t say that at all ,................................. you did ,.........................

I put one extreme ,........... prop 25 X 8 ,................. and than asked , What RPM,s can I expect .?

These are what the spec,s mark ,...................... most certainly I,m NOT going to do 9500 with a 25 X 8 prop

I am talking static of course ,..............

Sorry if I didn,t ask that right

Michel
Old 10-18-2010, 04:06 PM
apalsson

ORIGINAL: Tseres

Thats Great. I know things are changing there at a fast rate also. Good luck with getting the distributorship. Have you thought about sponsoring anyone in the States. Maybe not a great flyer but one that can test durability at a rapid pace? (Like Me)
LOL .... one thing I like about you is you never miss an opportunity
Tell'ya what, send me that nice P47 of yours and I'll "think about it" ...
Old 10-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Tseres

LOL .... one thing I like about you is you never miss an opportunity
Tell'ya what, send me that nice P47 of yours and I'll ''think about it'' ...
Hey Ari.

Everything has a price. How bad do you want it?
Old 10-18-2010, 04:21 PM
apalsson

Mate, bolt in that 56cc dong of yours and we'll talk
Old 10-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Q500RC

I agree Ari! Its one thing to inform people and quit another when you do what you do for the
purpose of causing problems. This has been a fun forum filled with info on Steve and Henry's
new line with many changes starting with but certainly not limited to the JC-28cc!

And I might add the JC-28 V2, YDA-56 and the YDA-112 Twin has had more good said about
them it than any other engine i've seen hit the market in some time! One thing I look for is
the feedback from the sport modelers themselvers!

We may not have dyno's but the proof is in the great comments coming from those who go
to the field weekend after weekend and come home with a smile on there faces and sit down
to their computers and share there joy from the weekends experiences and tell us WOW my
little 28cc pulls a 15lb plane around the sky and ran great!!!

When you get that week after week for a year then you can really feel good about a product
I'd say! But that just me!

Still after all of this we have some folks thinking they are doing something good by getting on
here and giving us all a tongue lashing by saying we have false advertising that our so called
28cc is only 27.6cc's!! Well great nut busters Batman we can't have that! Even though we
are very happy with our motors we just plain can't have that kinda of false advertising!

Let me tell you what that is that is exactly what our goverment wants to do to American's
tell you how much salt you can eat on your hamburger!! NO THANKS!

I appreciate the info but you don't have to beat us to death about it let us make up our own
minds on what we want to buy or not buy! Next thing ya know some of these folks will be
trying to sneak into your shop and replace your motor with a different brand because we
are just to stupid to decide for ourselves and we don't have temp guns and dyno's!

ENOUGH PLEASE!!! Now I know there have been several people in the forum including
myself that have asked for this repeated poor rethoric and harping to stop!

Antique I know you have more knowledge in gas engines than most and you have forgotten
more than most of us will ever know! I respect your knowledge and wouldn't have a
problem asking for your input if I felt I needed it!

It is however the tone of the conversation that seems bad to me not the tech input. It
seems by design to be directed at Henry and the JC-28 sold here in the USA by RC Aero Products!

That is what is offensive to me! Not your knowledge in gas engines! People can use knowledge
for positive feedback or to beat someone to death with it! In this case I see it as being used as
a club over Henry's head and that I don't appreciate! For goodness sake you have Steve in Aussie
land breaking out his Mics.!!

I've said my piece and in many cases so have others so can we get back to being friends and try
coming back to the forum with a smile on our faces after a good time at the field?

THANKS
Old 10-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Q500RC

Sorry about that by the time I posted Ari yours was a few back! LOL And Oh yes

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Captain
Old 10-18-2010, 04:38 PM
apalsson

No problem mate, I was actually busy flagging your post 5-Star!
I agree with every word in it
Old 10-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Tseres

Mate, bolt in that 56cc dong of yours and we'll talk
You don't really know what you are asking me to do. The bolt pattern is different the weight isn't the same and the muffler won't bolt up.
I'd rather build a new plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49430.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1519082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38688.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1519083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62517.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1519084  
Old 10-18-2010, 06:22 PM
apalsson

I'd rather build a new plane.
HAHAHA ... knowing your workmanship, I can only say "Go for it"
When it's ready, let me know and I'll send you my address details
Old 10-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Bob Parker
My Feedback: (18)

There you go Old Tom start building a lighter one. Ready to ship.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:26 PM
aussiesteve

"Jeepers Wally"
I go and get a couple of hours sleep and you guys have all the fun

Sure do agree with the majority of the posts though

Happy Birthday Captin -
I know you have a few health issues so ya probably won't enjoy too much cake or drinks - not good for the bowels on an old fella.

Happy flying

Ari - hurry up and get that second Raven to me. I am itching to do some build threads
Tom (S) - How many would it take for you to set upa production line for them?
Pat - as usual, you have hit the nail right on the head.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:30 PM
apalsson

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

''Jeepers Wally''
I go and get a couple of hours sleep and you guys have all the fun
HAHAH .... haven't you noticed, we use the tiume difference against you !
Old 10-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: Bob Parker

There you go Old Tom start building a lighter one. Ready to ship.
You better hurry and get your engine fixed. The one you are using has dibs on it. HE He!
I already have another kit.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Q500RC

Hey Old Tom I know you did a build thread on the P47 didn't you? Can I get a link so I
can go and read and not reask all those questions?? Thanks
Old 10-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Tseres

Ari. When our friends were in production mode I tied to get an 85cc on the list. Perfect size for a 4 blade 24-10 prop. That is the ideal size engine for the most common warbirds. But I couldn't get it done.[&o]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.