Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 05:47 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

Johnny zero,

The moderators are aware of what is going on and what is being said in this thread. Keep your cool, and let's all play nice!.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The info given was correct.
The V1 (Which also had a different Cylinder to the current unit) had 2 major issues.
1 - When the bore and stroke was actually measured and calculated, it was in fact a 26cc Engine.
2 - The crank pin was missing any way of retaining the rod and big end bearing (Done by most manufacturers as a "button" on the back of thecrank pin). this meant that either the rod deflected until it rubbed on the back of the case OR the needle set came out of the big end and rubbed on the back of the case.

Those were the two reasons for the total recall / replacement of the engines. I know it cost me plenty of my money too.

I did modify a couple of them to install the retaining button and they ran fine, in fact one of the more powerful of the Chinese 26cc's I have tried (which is most of them). The "Evo" (AKA - the Version 2) is a very different engine. Not bad power for its size.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:07 PM

Hey All
The JC 28cc V1 (the version that Mike Miller is talking about) did have problems. Any of the V1 engines that our company sold (August/mid Sept 2009) were all brought back and these customers received the new JC 28 V2. No questions asked. Then these V1 engines were going to be scrapped by us but Bill Jensen from BJ Engines, asked me if he could look at the engine and see if he could find a fix that would be effective and and would work. The engines would not be sold as new OR as 28cc engines. The overall engine performance are at the 26cc level.

Bill did succeed. He made the mods necessary. That said, he is selling the engine on Ebay as JC 26cc engines. He is totally taking care of all warranty 100%. When you compare the V1 and V2 engines, there are definite differences. The V1 has a slanted spark plug. The V2 spark plug is vertical.
Though JC built the engines, and parts are available for them Bill is very specific to describe the engine to potential purchasers about the engine and its history. Bill tells me to date that he has not received or has been asked for a refund on any of the engines. The engines are running as he specified. Our company is not promoting these engines for him or do we have any association with these engines.

I do get calls from customers who are trolling ebay and see the deal on the engines, and like Bill, I will tell them the history so that there is no misconception that these are the current JC 28cc V2 engines.
Bill Jensen can be reached at (203) 888-4819. He is one of the great engine guys and he will be very happy to discuss this with anyone.

I do hope that this does clear up some things.

Cheers
Henry

Old 10-17-2010, 06:17 PM
My Feedback: (44)

Sorry my bad.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

I have a question about the Aero YD-56 .

In the spec,s it says that it has a top range of 9500 RPM . And that it accepts a 25 X 8 prop , I was wondering what RPM I could expect ?

Michel
Old 10-17-2010, 06:28 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: michel gravelle

Hi

I have a question about the Aero YD-56 .

In the spec,s it says that it has a top range of 9500 RPM . And that it accepts a 25 X 8 prop , I was wondering what RPM I could expect ?

Michel
You are stacking two different extremes

The engine is not going to turn a 25 X 8 at 9500 rpm

Old 10-17-2010, 06:35 PM
My Feedback: (4)

OK, all you JC/Aerovate?Yda people, a simple question....
Since the cylinder is a G26 clone, 34x28 bore and stroke, and the JC/etc is advertised as 35x29 bore and stroke, I just put a stock G26 cylinder on my V2 JC?etc engine...EXACT perfect fit...False advertising maybe ? Does it even matter, or do the Chinese measure differently ? HMMM..Or does 28cc sound better than 26cc ?
FWIW, the JC?etc engine looks very good inside, nicely machined crankcasse....
How about you whip out your trusty caliper and do a little measuring......
Old 10-17-2010, 07:04 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Back in April I was talking to Henry at the Toledo show and was impressed at the quality look of the 28 he had on the table.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:16 PM

I think that I understand now......
Old 10-17-2010, 07:30 PM

We have been brainwashed for many years to believe that $499.99 is way cheaper than $500.00
Same thing, 28cc just has to be better than 26cc....
Old 10-17-2010, 07:35 PM

That's not at all what I ment.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:44 PM

Whatever,,,,
Anybody care to answer my question about engine advertised size ?????
I coudl bolt both cylinders to the foot thick pink granite table of a Starret computerized measuring machine and check ALL measurements...You might not like the results of Chinese VS Japanese quality control....
Old 10-17-2010, 07:47 PM

To Antique

Just because you put on a shoe and you can tie it up does that mean it fits? I think you are wearing out your welcome just like the others that want to come on here and start stuff. I come to this site to lurk around and learn information not to read posts from people like you running your mouth trying to bash peoples good work.

Now back to the shadows to do some reading.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:56 PM

Typical RCU response...If you actually comprehended what I SAID was the advertised size was larger than the actual size, and wondered why...I didn't bash the engine, I have one and said it looked very nice inside..back to your shadoww.....
I enjoy what I do, and will continue myth busting..If the moderators choose to let others get by with CREATIVE advertising, so be it...[>:]
Old 10-17-2010, 08:12 PM

I was out playing all day with a Yak and a 56. Video coming soon. Michel I want my 2 points bak.

So now I read that my 28 is actually a 26. So I'm thinking My 26 is keeping up with the advertised 30cc other brand. That must mean that that is a Bad Ass 26.

Carry on. Sorry to interrupt.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Antique
I enjoy what I do, and will continue myth busting..If the moderators choose to let others get by with CREATIVE advertising, so be it...[>:]
Hey Ralph,

I don't see anything in your posts here that warrants Mods to remove them. It looks like some healthy debate or exchange of opinions to me.
What Tom Seres said is interesting though ... if the EVO actually is a 26cc, then the power it generates is impressive.

There are a LOT of engines out there where the actual displacement is not accurately reported. Another brand's heavily advertised and discussed 20cc is actually a 23cc and a well known 30cc isn't a 30cc at all
Old 10-17-2010, 08:30 PM

I don't mean to confuse the issue here. I know you guys are talking about the 26. Well here is a 56.

For those of you that would rather skip the healthy discussion here is a vid you can watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycl0znOynsE

We made 5 flights. Ran out of gas on the fourth flight. He got carried away. Ben't the landing gear landing in a plowed field. Indiana Has a lot of farm land. I fixed the gear and Bob ( Who owns the plane) flew it again. The engine ran the best on the 5th flight. The video is parts of the first 3 flights. You can tell that Bob is still babying the engine but he is still having fun.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:32 PM

All of which only shows that the old original G26 was and still is all I was saying it was on this forum...Since it went from a 23 to a 26 years ago...BEFORE the Chinese engine revolution..Before Brillelli....Before almost any other small engine....The YDA/JC/etc engines are slightly stronger because of the reed valve...Slightly lighter because the crank is a cantilever with only 1 web...Not as convenient because it takes 4 holes in the prop instead of just one in the center...They haven't been around long enough to judge longevity...Who knows, the crank and bearings just might be strong enough to routinely turn 16,000 rpm like brand Z...Time will tell.....
Old 10-17-2010, 08:39 PM
My Feedback: (271)

That was the 56 not a 28.

Looks good Tom. Get her broken in and have some fun with that plane.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:42 PM

Geez - here it goes again

Before reading the statements below, please remember that I no longer deal in JC engines (there is a new distributor here in aus) or any other of the brands mentioned in this thread.

When I get back to my shop later today, I wil measuer the actual bore and stroke, I don't remember the exact figures but the one I measured from the first batch calculated to 28cc I am sure. (Pi R2 x stroke).

My most favorite "26 - 30cc" engines are the 3W 28I (Show me any chinese Or Japanese engine in the size range that wil outperform one of those when tuned correctly) and the MVVS 26 (not all that far behind the 3W in power). There is of course a compromise in both those products and that is the purchase price and the cost of parts when dumb thumbs strike.

WHILE I was a JC dealer. I sold 141 of the 28cc Version 2 and have got 3 still in my own planes. I never sold a Version 1 as they were nto acceptable for sale.
Of those 144 engines I had the following issues
4 x RCExcel ignitions failed.
1 x crankshaft snapped in half
one batch of carbs had dried out ineffective pump diaphragms that needed replacement.
One reed valve that was badly installed.

If we take the ignition problems (these are not exclusive to JC enignes) and the Carb problems (these are supplied already assembled by the manufacturer), that leaves 2 engines with a problem. One of those problems was easiyl fixed by replacing the engine for the customer, the other one was easily fixed by replacing the reed valve assembly. Of course there were a few issues that were created byt he customers themselves "opening it up for a quick look".

One of the engines in my own planes is probably the oldest flying Version 2 in the world. It runs a Biela 18/8 prop in a 27% Yak 55 on 40:1 Redline oil at a field where the ground level is 99ft above sea level in temperatures ranging from 12 degrees C to 42 degrees C and Relative humidity from 50% to 105% (did I miss any important parameters out?)

My flight report on these engines?

Quality - Acceptable
Power band - very Acceptable
Ease of use - Acceptable
Weight - Acceptable
Purchase price - very acceptable
"Shininess" - Very acceptable
Runs on B/S - Nope (needs petrol and oil to run)

Compared to my personal favorite units? - Not as good but significantly more affordable to the market that uses this size.

Remember - this refers to the JC 28 in particular - their 53cc and 106cc are a different kettle of fish - the history behind those is very well published around the place.
I hope the new products coming from them are as good as the 28 is, If they are, they will be the best brand form China - if they aren't - well - we all know the rest.

IT IS A HOBBY - ENJOY IT PEOPLE.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: plane addicts

That was the 56 not a 28.
Maybe a 58??
Old 10-17-2010, 08:48 PM
My Feedback: (271)

Dang I had it wrong all along lol.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the exact bore & stroke of these engines being discussed in this thread? I think a buyer has the right to know exact specifications of the dimentions & materials that go into any engine being sold.

You know what I hate is all the guys that say..."oh my what a powerhouse " of a engine...ect....but cannot tell anyone what the bore & stroke is or the exact cc displacement is! What is there to hide???? Step up to the plate.....
Capt,n
Old 10-17-2010, 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: plane addicts

Looks good Tom. Get her broken in and have some fun with that plane.
Thanks. It's Bob's Plane. Let him have some fun. He is a guy that helps everyone around. Sometimes at the expense of him not even getting to fly his own plane. Today was his day.

Have fun Bob![sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 10-17-2010, 08:52 PM

No comparison on the 3W 28. it is the king of the class....
Advertised 35x29 JC /YDA/etc is 27.88cc'..No way..
Cloned 34x28 actual cylinder on the engine is 25,408cc...
They're both smaller than advertised...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.