Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

New BME Aircraft 30% Extra330L

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

New BME Aircraft 30% Extra330L

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: BME Aircraft 30% Extra330L

Anyone have theirs out yet??
Old 03-29-2007, 10:09 AM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish. Between work, ski and putting the new Quique 86" together, I never get to the field.

It's ready to go, just waiting for the opportunity. Batteries are charged... I need to make some new 1:32 mix tough...
Old 03-31-2007, 10:55 AM
bnjones22

I have had mine out , it is flying very nice, all stock no lightening as of yet, wieghs 17 lbs 6 oz, the taurus 52 pulls very hard. We have lots of wind here so I may not lighten it. Here are a few pics, they aren't the greatest cause my friend wasn't using the zoom properly, the last one is of my fleet bipe, I'm gonna miss it .[]

Brad.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68869.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	653562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63059.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	653563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57839.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	653564  
Old 03-31-2007, 11:23 AM
bnjones22

Maybe this is better [8D]

Name:	Jh15311.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	653591  
Old 03-31-2007, 11:28 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Looks nice Brad...

I'm almost finished with my reviews... and will be able to finidh up mine... I really don't have that much left to do... just install the throttle servo, setup linkage and install receiver/battery...

I'm really close... so it shouldn't be long now...
Old 03-31-2007, 02:51 PM
jgraham10
My Feedback: (3)

Got mine pretty much done except for the graphics and wheel pants.
Engine mounted and cowl cutout.
Had the 366 running twice without the cowl but now have engine issues that I'm troubleshooting with Scott on and I'm sure it will be resolved.
Here are a few pictures of the airplane with most everything installed on it.
Looking forward to getting it up and flying.
John

Name:	Xu62556.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	653758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66495.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	653759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb74074.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	653760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67485.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	653761  
Old 04-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Ken-h

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

John,

Looking good! Hopefully you'll get that motor running.

Brad,

Sweet shot, looks like you started pimping it out. Is that David’s bling? Were back in the snow today, what’s up...its April 2nd in the NW already! I think I need to move to Texas or something to get some flying in.

Ken
Old 04-02-2007, 09:12 PM
jgraham10

Ken,
That is what I'm hoping as it is a drag.
Hey when you were building the prototype did you have any issues with the tank and the vent and fill tubes or did you just do a two line setup?
It seems that the tubes are not bent correctly as they were not easy to get into the tank with the proper angles.
I actually do not think that they are at the proper angles in the tank.
Thinking of getting some aerotrend line and replacing the neoprene with it that I put in there.
I also ordered some new hard tubes to possibly replace the lines in the tank.
The picture in the manual shows the three line setup but I cannot see how you can get the tubes in the tank the way the picutre shows.
The manual shows three tubes one bent the other two are not.
What I got was two tubes bent, one like the picture shows and another one that is bent different, I'm planning on taking the tank back out again so I will take a picture of the stopper with the three lines hooked up. and show you what I mean.
Looks like I could just change one tube and it should be good to go.
Come on down to Texas but you might have to fight the thunderstorms or wind.
We have had a number of storms the last week or two. I can only imagine what my field is like as I have not had the chance to go out there and see how it looks.
John

Name:	Rp43706.jpg
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	655716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97068.jpg
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	655717  
Old 04-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Ken-h

John,

No issues with the tank and I used the three line setup. The tubes are a pain once bent to get back in the tank but that goes for any tank. I never looked at the tanks in the production ones but I will tomorrow and see how that third piece is bent. I used the bent one shown in the picture as the fill line angled in a way so it was at the center of the tank inside the tank. With the two straight ones, I used one for vent at the top and the other for carb in the center. So looking at the tank assembled...the vent and fill lines go into the tank at the top and the carb line goes in at the center.

Also, never trust the rubber fuel tubing that comes with any kit from China. It really seems its not gas compatible and I have put out a warning against using it. Make sure you use Tygon tubing for all of your plumbing. I did use the rubber tubing in the prototype that came with it and had to replace it after a couple of months or so. I went out to fly one day and the motor would start and then die in about ten seconds. Went home and pulled the tank and the tubing had doubled in size and the clunk was now at the front of the tank...lol. Also make sure your clunk is not all the way against the back of the tank when you assemble it. What is your motor doing exactly?

Ken
Old 04-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Ken-h

John,

I stole this from Davids thread. If this is what your tubes look like you can cut one for your vent line and be done with it. I not sure why they put all those bends in it in the first place. Maybe David has put his together and he share with us what he did. But in any case, just looking at this photo it would probably be how I would tackle it. Once done it should look like the one in the first photo you posted.

Ken

Name:	Vt58366.jpg
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	655752  
Old 04-02-2007, 10:54 PM
jgraham10

Ken,
Thanks for the reply.
Here are a couple of pictures of the setup that I had used.
I have changed out the tubes with extras I had laying around and the tubing that came with the kit was thrown away as per the insturctions.
I have black neoprene in the tank right now and I'm thinking of changing to the aerotrend tubing for inside and outside the tank.
I must have missed the post from David on the tank setup, I do not know how as I have been following these threads but still that information is a big help on the setup using the stock
tubes.
Thanks
John

Name:	Vt56885.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	655816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12491.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	655817  
Old 04-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Ken-h

John,

Yours looks fine, should work ok the way it is.

Ken
Old 04-03-2007, 12:16 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That black neopreme is actually good stuff for inside the tank. The only advice I have is to cut it in the middle and add a nipple there. This keeps it from folding back and getting stuck in the front of the tank. If you made another clunk line for the fill you wouldn't have the two bent tubes and it wouldn't be so hard to get the stopper in. I personally would use a new Dubro tank and a Dubro gas stopper. It's not worth the risk of using any stock stuff for such an important part of the plane.

Name:	Pn35822.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	655866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11020.jpg
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	655867  
Old 04-03-2007, 07:51 AM
bnjones22

Hey Ken, yes this is Davids (Maudib), graphics. They are great. I am slowly dialing the plane in and it is flying very nice(I really like the knife edge spins and waterfalls it does). We are also under snow again here, but for us it isn't unusual and we really need the moisture. I haven't as of yet tried the BME(PAU) 23-3da prop but by the way this Taurus engine is coming around, it is going to turn it with ease. I will be trying it out within the next few trips out to the field. And about you moving,...here in ALberta we have a saying if you don't like our weather wait 15 mintues it'll change [8D]. Brad
Old 04-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Maudib

You didn't steal the pic Ken... you borrowed it... tee hee...

Actually since I already had a plumbed tank (A DuBro 16 oz that I often use in 50cc planes) I just used it. I did a 2 line system on it using a "T".

The supplied tank looks like a fine option and I agree that John's pics look fine.

I'm thinking that before he screw is tightened that the vent tube can be rotated down to get into the opening then twisted back in pace with needlenose from the outside (one jaw of the pliers INSIDE the tube and the other outside so as not to crush it)

Actually a pretty slick setup.

As joe said... neoprene is fine for fuel link and clunk line... but you really should out a 2" section of tubing in the middle of the clunk line... it is so pliable that it could easily flip to the nose of the tank on downlines or some hard snaps... and perhaps get lodged behind the vent/fill tubes...

Then if you sent to hover for a while, your line would be up above a less than full tank and a flameout could happen... (not good at a few feet off the ground... yikes!)

I prefer the tygon... it's stiffer so it won't drop to the nose, and outside the tank I can see the fuel in the line.

Tygon does expand a bit in gas and the oil in the fuel can allow it to slip off the tubes it's attached to... so I always solder DuBro fuel barbs to the ends where Tygon is attached... here is a pic of a 2 line stopper with the barbs soldered in place... (this pic is from another build but is shared for the barb use)

Name:	Ge96305.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	655982  
Old 04-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Ken-h

ORIGINAL: Maudib

Hehe...Thanks David!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:29 AM
Ken-h

ORIGINAL: newflyguy

Hey Ken, yes this is Davids (Maudib), graphics. They are great. I am slowly dialing the plane in and it is flying very nice(I really like the knife edge spins and waterfalls it does). We are also under snow again here, but for us it isn't unusual and we really need the moisture. I haven't as of yet tried the BME(PAU) 23-3da prop but by the way this Taurus engine is coming around, it is going to turn it with ease. I will be trying it out within the next few trips out to the field. And about you moving,...here in ALberta we have a saying if you don't like our weather wait 15 mintues it'll change [8D]. Brad
Hey Brad,

Well it stopped snowing at least and it's pretty nice today however. What prop are you running now?

Ken
Old 04-03-2007, 11:09 AM
bnjones22

Hey Ken,

It's a 22-8 skorepa, I have been using it for breaking in the engine, seems to be a good prop.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:11 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Maudib

Actually since I already had a plumbed tank (A DuBro 16 oz that I often use in 50cc planes) I just used it. I did a 2 line system on it using a "T".

The supplied tank looks like a fine option and I agree that John's pics look fine.

I'm thinking that before he screw is tightened that the vent tube can be rotated down to get into the opening then twisted back in pace with needlenose from the outside (one jaw of the pliers INSIDE the tube and the other outside so as not to crush it)

Actually a pretty slick setup.

As joe said... neoprene is fine for fuel link and clunk line... but you really should out a 2" section of tubing in the middle of the clunk line... it is so pliable that it could easily flip to the nose of the tank on downlines or some hard snaps... and perhaps get lodged behind the vent/fill tubes...

Then if you sent to hover for a while, your line would be up above a less than full tank and a flameout could happen... (not good at a few feet off the ground... yikes!)

I prefer the tygon... it's stiffer so it won't drop to the nose, and outside the tank I can see the fuel in the line.

Tygon does expand a bit in gas and the oil in the fuel can allow it to slip off the tubes it's attached to... so I always solder DuBro fuel barbs to the ends where Tygon is attached... here is a pic of a 2 line stopper with the barbs soldered in place... (this pic is from another build but is shared for the barb use)

Whoa, nicely done tank. The only thing I don't like about Tygon is that it goes stiff on the clunk line. Outside the tank I only use Tygon. Inside it's neopreme with the nipple to stiffen the line so as to avoid fold back. As long as you change your clunk line every season Tygon is ok. My buddy and I both just had problems with the stiff Tygon clunk lines so we are both very leary. I never knew how imortant proper tank setups were on gassers. I do now....

Edit: If I did mine again, I'd solder the barbs on. That neopreme usually stays on pretty good. Just try to yank one off some time. Can you use a regular soldering iron and rosen core electronics solder to solder on the barbs?
Old 04-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Maudib

I haven't had an issue with the line getting too stiff and not reaching all sides of the tank... just the conenctions without DuBro barbs slipping off after it stiffens.

But again either way is just fine. Each requiring a extra step (soldering fuel barbs or inserting a tube in the clunk line.

What black gas line is it that gets spongy and leave a black residue on your fingers after prolonged gas exposure... not neoprene right?
Old 04-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Maudib

Yes you can use regular electrical solder... or if you have solid core/flux like used in plumbing copper pipes that will work too...

steel wool and or alcohol wash the ends to clean them and off you go...
Old 04-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Ken-h

Thanks Brad,

I could not remember what you started with.

Ken
Old 04-03-2007, 08:17 PM
jgraham10

Thanks guys for the advice on the pickup line as a buddy of mine gave me the same advice and passed the pictures onto me. I planning on doing this but I want to get the engine running and tuned before I fly. I really considering the Aerotrend Blue Gas Fuel line as I think it is the best option over both neoprene and tygon tubing. I had a couple of tubes from a dubro tank I bought thinking I wanted to change out the stock tank for the dubro. That still may happen. I have some nipples ordered from tower and a few other things for the fuel system those should be here this week.

John
Old 04-04-2007, 07:13 PM
cloud_buster

does anyone have more video other than the one in bme webpage?
How about you Badfish I would really love to see that one up with all that bling :-) look awesome
Old 04-04-2007, 09:15 PM
badfish

I'll try. we got cold weather moving in again in the NE. I had it out last week twice. both times I had at least 5 flights on it. the plane is a blast. I think Ken mentioned how comfortable he was bringing the plane down low doing rollers. I would have to agree. I'm not that great at rollers but the plane really responds well. another thing that might make them easier with this plane is the roll rate seems to be a little slower. (compared to others I've flown at this size). they are big ailerons and hold the plane well from torquing while hanging the plane. but when doing rollers the plane doesn't seem to get out ahead of my thumbs.
another thing I noticed is the plane slows down well. chop the throttle to come in for a landing and you don't have to wait all day for the plane to bleed it's speed off. (I'm running a 22 x 8 menz btw.) I just recently put on some alum. Sullivan skylite tires 3.5". (more bling!) it adds a couple oz's. but 3" foam tires are borderline on the grass fields I fly off of. I also like to harrier land and the 3" seemed to want to dig in instead of roll. (field was soft from all the rain we've had.)
I also ended up moving my batteries from next to the wing tube to the rudder tray and it seems to be perfect. I had 1 CF dowel that holds the front of the hatch down fall out. It fell inside the fuselage. I thick CA'd it back in and added some to the other one. just a heads up.
steve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.