Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

New BME Aircraft 30% Extra330L

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

New BME Aircraft 30% Extra330L

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 02:34 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BME Aircraft 30% Extra330L

The firewall support desribed in the manual comes from gluing it to the 4 walls of the engine box (that's were it gets the proper trust angle) and adding 4 bits of triangular stock, two in front and two in the back (of the firewall).
I chose to add several more pieces of triangular stock so that more aspects of the box/forewall assembly are addressed. I will also drill three holes in each firewall side, through the side wall, and expoxy dowels intop the holes. Years of modeling = years of paranoia. I'll post some pix for you later - the fuel proofing is drying right now... Read the Precision Aircraft 35% Extra 330L thread and you'l see what I mean...

I know people who by default use fiberglass and/or CF sheets and expoxy them in and/or around the engine box. All good as long as it gives you peace of mind. [&:]

ORIGINAL: newflyguy

Thanks Ken,and Yarom,
these picks are very helpful. Is there any extra support required after these cuts are made?

Brad.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:38 PM
Ken-h
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: yarom

That's the only muffler I had available. I would rather use the Jtec (lighter) or go with a canister once someone goes through the pain and suffering of figuring out the exact header and canister combination that will work for all of us.

I have no plans for using smoke at all at this point.

Another question - when using a pitts muffler, would it be OK to cover the canister opening? It does not seem to vent anywhere unless one cuts some covering under the fuse. So leaving it open would just be asking for it to fill with dirt and fuel residue...

ORIGINAL: Ken-h

Ok, here are the picts of the before and after.

Don't know how Ken managed to fit the Slimline muffler in with so little grinding. I like clearance and I like some air flowing over the muffler.

First two pictures show trying to get the muffler to fit without modifying the firewall and side wall. Last two pictures are taken after cutting 1/2 inch off the bottom of the firewall (most of it's width) and removing some material from the side wall (left only).
Yarom,

I see you have a smoke muffler, I would think you want to keep as much heat as you could in it. All kidding aside, the distance between the firewall and muffler on mine is about a credit card. As far as cooling goes, you wont have any problems here. The Extra really vents air well and I've mounted the ignition on the right hand side of the motor box.

Ken
Yarom,

Regarding canister installation. That’s what we did, we installed a canister for the DA in one of the production planes to answer questions. This is a low wing aircraft, so we can only push the canister back so far. So you need to cut off no more than 1.5” from the header so there is no loss in performance and this is information straight from DA. Is there a particular question I did not answer? You can cover the canister opening or leave it open. DA's seems to run very clean and my tunnel is still fairly clean inside and it's seen a lot of use.

Ken
Old 11-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Yep... unless it's a tuned exhaust shortening the header won't significantly hamper performance. The tuned pipes for the DA are significantly longer than most canisters, and therefore probably wouldn't fit anyways (due to the wingtube as Ken mentioned)

I like the In-Fuse SIlencers sold by RC Showcase (they are JMB cans I think) they are quiet and have a "nubbin" on the end of the can to seat into an end-stop to prevent the can from moving backwards.... and they also sell these sweet little can mounts that use a lightweight aluminum bracket and an O-Ring to secure the can...

Here's a pic of it installed on a stand... you can see how it would apply inside a fuse... te back end would have a ply ring glued to the tunnel for the silicone grommet to fit the end of the can in, and the mount can be located at the opening of the tunnel and screwed/bolted to the FI former.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:07 PM
Ken-h

Thanks David,

That looks like something that may work as well.

Ken
Old 11-15-2006, 05:45 PM
yarom

Thanks Ken, it is very clear in terms of installation.

What I understand as well is that the KS 2.5 drop header and the MTW 75K are the right parts, together with silicon coupler and rings (and the can support in the fuse).

Some people seemed to be saying earlier that the 2.5 drop header did not fit well for them. Perhaps they were not using the flex header...
Old 11-20-2006, 09:11 AM
Maudib

Well guys... I have dropped the trigger on this one too... It is such a pretty plane and from the reports and pics I've seen (let alone the vids) I just have to try one out.

I just got UPS shipment notification... so it'll probably be just after Thanksgiving when I get it... I intend on building this as soon as it arrives so will be able to join you all in the build pics and tips...

Thanks Ken for such quick shipment! Looking forward to getting it in hand.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:01 PM
zzw26n
My Feedback: (45)

David,

What Engine & Muffler you going with? I hope it's a DA-50 and MTW Canister and a New Build Thread.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:38 PM
Maudib

Well I do have a DA50 sitting here... but with stock muffler... I've also considered the Brillelli 60cc as well...

I really wan't looking to drop another $200 (with shipping) on an exhaust... I do have a JMB (RCS IN-Fuse SIlencer) though... hmmmm.

Would just need the header... and the install would be nearly identical to other cans...

We'll see... I'm hashing out what I'd like to do over the next few days...

New thread? Well... that might not be a bad idea since this has gotten pretty long (330+ posts) wthout much "building" going on... tee hee...

If the guys here don't mind... we could do that and have everyone jump in from ground zero on a clean thread all about the building/flying...
Old 11-20-2006, 02:54 PM
zzw26n

I think the New owners of BME Aircraft would appreciate it too; PAU / BME 30% Extra 330L Build Thread by Maudib
Old 11-20-2006, 02:57 PM
bnjones22

I like the idea
Old 11-20-2006, 03:00 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

post a link here so i know when you start your build thread, please[8D]
Old 11-20-2006, 03:06 PM
Maudib

Uh... you mean PAU - Performance Aircraft Unlimited 30% Extra 330L...

We can do that I suppose...
Old 11-20-2006, 03:32 PM
zzw26n

Besides, it's been a couple months since you did a thread, this will be good for you too!
Old 11-20-2006, 03:38 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

Ya he's starting to feel the itch isn't he.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:25 PM
Digger44
My Feedback: (4)

Thats a great idea, I'll be starting mine sometime next year. It's really tempting to get started with the boxes just sitting here. Don't have the motor or servo's yet, It will have to wait until after the holidays.[&o] Be great to have another build thread to follow.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Ken-h

Your welcome David,

Looking forward to seeing you put this together.

Ken
Old 11-23-2006, 05:46 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI all, well I think the new owners of BME are great, the service is excellent too. My BME Extra arrived all in tact, just like it left the factury, not a scratch on it. The kit and the covering really looks good. I did have a flaw in the cowl and they replaced it really quickly.
I already have the BME Yak and am very satisfied with its performance, can"t wait to assemble my new Extra 300.
Rcpete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38710.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	565570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45132.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	565571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50420.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	565572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90104.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	565573  
Old 11-23-2006, 08:30 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: rcpete347

HI all, well I think the new owners of BME are great, the service is excellent too. My BME Extra arrived all in tact, just like it left the factury, not a scratch on it. The kit and the covering really looks good. I did have a flaw in the cowl and they replaced it really quickly.
I already have the BME Yak and am very satisfied with its performance, can"t wait to assemble my new Extra 300.
Rcpete
rcpete347,

Congrats on your new purchase!! I too have the PAU Yak and love it.. I've been hinting to the wife about one of these for Xmas..I'm jealous,this Extra looks awesome..

Frank
Old 11-24-2006, 11:02 AM
zzw26n

Pete,

What are you using for power, servo's, etc. ? What does your YAK weigh?

thanks, zz
Old 11-28-2006, 10:49 PM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I am a step or two ahead of you Pete!

My setup:
All Hitec gear on servos:
5645MG's on Elevators
645MG's on Ailerons
5955TG on Rudder
81MG for choke

Smartfly Power Expander, plus Regulator with failsafe switch
JR 770S Rx, failsafe enabled.
Kokam 2cell 2000 mah rx pack
4 cell NiMh 1100mah Ignition pack

DA50 with Bisson muffler (to be changed out for canister later)
Pete Models Carbon 3" spinner
Mejzlik 22x10 cf prop

Throws set for IMAC.
Engine is installed now and all that's left to do is CG, lateral balance, and final radio setup.

Spar
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21540.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	568526  
Old 11-29-2006, 11:09 AM
Maudib

Hi guys...

I wanted to let you know that my Extra 330L arrived! It actually came in yesterday afternoon and I havd a chance to give it a good once over:

First impressions?

VERY NICE...

It arrive double boxed and unscathed. Paint and covering is excellent... no drips or scratches to speak of. Paint very closely matches the covering.

Construction of the fuse looks really nice... no loose joints, proper amount of glue, etc.

The design is well thought out... as there are two slots for throttle/choke servos and two different sized rudder servos (a standard and giant scale).

It's built sturdy for sure... and if anything is overbuilt than under. Those worrying about it being fragile will not have any worries.

A nice plus is the cowl ring design... this is somethig you don't see in ARF aircraft this size (or most any size for that matter) and makes for a positive and secure cowl mounting. No worries about drilling and mounting the cowl... or screws coming loose and routing out the fiberglass.

Nice CF wingtube, stab tube and supplied rod for making CF pushrods.

Hardware is first rate and very usable.

Fuse, wing and stab bags included. Surfaces straight and bevels sharp. Holes pre-drilled for hingepoint style hinges. (included)

Simply put... the plane looks great. I found no issues at thus far...

I'm excited to get building in the next couple days... will start the Build and Fly thread soon and post a link here.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:24 PM
xtraflyr

ORIGINAL: Maudib

Hi guys...

I wanted to let you know that my Extra 330L arrived! It actually came in yesterday afternoon and I havd a chance to give it a good once over:

First impressions?

VERY NICE...

It arrive double boxed and unscathed. Paint and covering is excellent... no drips or scratches to speak of. Paint very closely matches the covering.

Construction of the fuse looks really nice... no loose joints, proper amount of glue, etc.

The design is well thought out... as there are two slots for throttle/choke servos and two different sized rudder servos (a standard and giant scale).

It's built sturdy for sure... and if anything is overbuilt than under. Those worrying about it being fragile will not have any worries.

A nice plus is the cowl ring design... this is somethig you don't see in ARF aircraft this size (or most any size for that matter) and makes for a positive and secure cowl mounting. No worries about drilling and mounting the cowl... or screws coming loose and routing out the fiberglass.

Nice CF wingtube, stab tube and supplied rod for making CF pushrods.

Hardware is first rate and very usable.

Fuse, wing and stab bags included. Surfaces straight and bevels sharp. Holes pre-drilled for hingepoint style hinges. (included)

Simply put... the plane looks great. I found no issues at thus far...

I'm excited to get building in the next couple days... will start the Build and Fly thread soon and post a link here.

maudib,
Congrats on your new Extra!!! Please keep us up to date on your build and fly.... What are you goin to use for power and what kind of exhaust will you use? I say go the Canister route,so we can see whats involved.. The pitts style muffler is really a no brainer..

Thanks,
Frank
Old 11-29-2006, 12:51 PM
zzw26n

spar
, how did you attach your canopy? nice set-up too, you should have a great IMAC machine!

maudib
, BUILD THREAD ! sweet, glad your going to do this one. I'm going to follow your lead on this one!

Ward
Old 12-05-2006, 06:26 PM
yarom

Ken, for the throttle servo, do you recommend switching the carb to the arm is on the left (like in the earlier picture)?

I have the throttle arm on the right side and the only way I can think of installing this servo is on the floor of the motor box using some sort of servo support so it lies sideways. This way the servo is lying low, at the same level of the arm, about 5" behind the arm, direct shot, but not as serviceable as in the installation I have seen from you guys.

Could you post the detail of how you did the choke lever?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:35 PM
xtraflyr

Ken, for the throttle servo, do you recommend switching the carb to the arm is on the left (like in the earlier picture)?

I have the throttle arm on the right side and the only way I can think of installing this servo is on the floor of the motor box using some sort of servo support so it lies sideways. This way the servo is lying low, at the same level of the arm, about 5" behind the arm, direct shot, but not as serviceable as in the installation I have seen from you guys.

Could you post the detail of how you did the choke lever?
For the choke, I use the KISS principle.Put a ball end on one side of a threaded rodand hook it to the choke,and the other side let it long enough just to come out of the cowl and then just bend the end into a circle or just an L,so you can grab onto it.Find a way to support the rod. With my Yak I pull the choke flip it until it pops,push the rod back flip it until it starts..

Hope this helps with your Extra,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.