Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Thunder Tiger Pro .46 owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 02:33 AM
Grumpy Monkey
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Tiger Pro .46 owners

What mufflers are you using on your TT pro's. I am looking to install a pitts muffler on a sideways mounted pro and my first pick wasnt a winner. The bolt holes didnt match up. I was just wondering what aftermarkets you guys were using that bolts up. Everyone has mufflers for OS,ST, etc but none for the TT. Are the mounting holes the same width as an OS .46fx, or an OS 40FP or anything similiar?
Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Warren
Old 06-17-2002, 03:32 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They should be the same as the OS46FX

Jim
Old 06-17-2002, 08:09 AM
FCC

Actually the die of TTPro46 is the same as OS46FX... Really nice copy... and from inside the TT is junk.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:45 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by FCC
Actually the die of TTPro46 is the same as OS46FX... Really nice copy... and from inside the TT is junk.
That's a crock! The TT .46 Pro came out BEFORE the OS .46 FX!
Old 06-17-2002, 12:07 PM
rcflier_gi
My Feedback: (2)

The TT .46 & OS .46 do have the same muffler mount dimension.

TT pro series is a VERY GOOD series on engines. Performance is excellent as well as fit and finish. You can't beat the price. Numerous people use them in our club with great results. You can get them for the same price as the OS LA series and the TT Pros are higher power, ball bearing and have a dual needle carb unlike OS LA air bleed carbs. The OS FX are great engines as well but cost about $40 to $60 more than TTs.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:53 PM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

FCC: it is very obvious you have never owned or even been around a TT.46 Pro with that kind of a statement. I will not delete your comment, but leave it. I think I have seen more TT.46 engines at the field than any other engine of that size, and with very good performance & a fair price I expect to see many more used in the future.
Old 06-17-2002, 01:33 PM
Jazzy

OK. Lets put the COPY thing to rest.

I did some research a few months ago. In short, this is what I've gleamed:
Some years ago the chief engineer for O.S. left the company for reasons we can only speculate at. (His name is a bit of a jumble in my mind right now...) This engineer apparently used HIS diesigns to start the Thunder Tiger Engine Co.
It is my understanding he left O.S. when the company was bought by Great Planes. There were some changes made by the new ownership regarding the manufacturing processes. The 'peeling liner' and bearing problems began shortly after the changes were made.
In the meantime Thunder Tiger has grown with great success providing the modeling community with excellent and powerful products.

The above information was taken from my own research and the knowledge and experiences of long-time impartial modelers at the field. Debate it all you want but do your homework first.

Isn't it funny that usually only the devout (and sometimes blinded) O.S. users do the name calling and manufacturer bashing? Even I, a TT believer, try not to slam a manufacturer-except maybe VMar.

Warren, the Slimline Pitts for the 46FX is an exact match for the Pro46. I thought they are now listed for use on TT engines...?

Jeff
Old 06-17-2002, 03:35 PM
Grumpy Monkey

Default Thanks

Didnt mean to get a manufacturers war going over this. The fact of the matter is I have a TT PRo and I like it!. I have always used OS's and I like them too. Thanks to everyone who responded.
Jazzy, I was browsing through Tower to find a muffler and they are listed as ST and OS. The one I bought was for a ST .40 GS and its about 1mm off center to center on the mounting holes. I will try the one for the .46fx.
Thanks again,

Warren
Old 06-17-2002, 07:49 PM
desmobob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Thunder Tiger Pro .46 owners

Originally posted by Warbird Fanatic
What mufflers are you using on your TT pro's. I am looking to install a pitts muffler on a sideways mounted pro and my first pick wasnt a winner. The bolt holes didnt match up. I was just wondering what aftermarkets you guys were using that bolts up. Everyone has mufflers for OS,ST, etc but none for the TT. Are the mounting holes the same width as an OS .46fx, or an OS 40FP or anything similiar?
Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Warren
Warren,

As you've already read, the mufflers that fit the OS .40 or .46 FX will fit the TT Pro .46. I have several of the Slimline and Bisson brand Pitts mufflers and they both work well for me.

Don't listen to anything about the TTs being "junk." I have over two dozen engines from Super Tigre, O.S., Saito, Magnum and Thunder Tiger. The TT Pros are the most user-friendly and very dependable. I think they are easily the "best buy" in model airplane engines.

I have a TT .46 Pro on my SIG Ultimate Fun Fly. I have the Tower Hobbies .46 muffler on it; a great combination!

Enjoy your TT,
Bob Scott
Old 06-17-2002, 11:38 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Originally posted by FCC

I'll put this 139mph Shrike with TT 46pro up against anything you got of equal displacement. By the way, my reserve engine for this is the 46fx!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	14737_8393.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	9387  
Old 06-18-2002, 01:51 AM
Grumpy Monkey

Default What happened here?

To all of those who actually had relevant info to my question...Thank you.
To the rest, my wasnt who made a better engine, so why did this thread get turned into a bashing war? Cant we all just get along

Warren
Old 06-18-2002, 04:55 AM
bgi

No, wait! You can't reply to this thread without slamming OS for rip-off prices, or Saito for not making 2-strokes, or... or... or... yea - Irvine for being so expensive, or... or... TT for coming from OHMYGAWD Taiwan, CAN YOU!!?!?!?
Old 06-18-2002, 08:39 AM
ShempHoward

OS is owned by Futaba not by Great Planes/Hobbico which is merely the US Distributor and should be blamed in part for any complaints about high prices.
There is a distinct resemblance between the TT46 and the 46FX which is believed to have been the result of one of OS's top designers defecting to TT and getting the TT46 Pro out on the market well before the 46FX.
They both have the same exhaust port dimensions and therefore should both accept the same aftermarket mufflers.
Regardless of what anybody says the 46FX is actually several hundred RPM stronger than the TT46 Pro and this info is contained in several magazine test reviews which I trust far more than the often exaggerated
claims made here and on other sites about what owners of other brand engines are getting in rpm's. I recall a snot nosed kid on RCO from South Alabama, or thereabouts, making obviously wild claims about what his 46FX's were turning in stock form right out of the box as an example of how some people like to tell tall stories of how their particular engine brand runs. It nearly always boils down to a Ford vs. Chevy type argument so read the test reviews - thats what they are there for. C. Lee's performance data is the reaL thing.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:03 AM
Sport_Pilot

Shemp,
Even OS engines vary a bit from engine to engine. And it's not just quality control. How the engine was treated during the break-in has a lot to do with it. Even the temperature, humidity, amount of dust and pollen in the air during break-in and its first post break-in flights can make a 300 RPM difference. If you read Clarance Lees column closely he only runs the engine for 20 minutes of break-in. He will run it more if it will not idle or transition properly. IMO this means that the numbers are almost worthless. TT engines are tighter than I recall OS engines being. That and the short break-in can account for the 300 RPM difference. Also I have noticed that the FX does better with big props, and the TT Pro with smaller props. It would appear to me that the TT Pro is more like the SF without the long stroke than the FX. They are certainly timed for higher RPM than the FX.

That said the TT Pro is a better engine if you want to go fast. But I won't own another TT unless I get a used one cheap. ACE Hobbies service is horrible!
Old 06-18-2002, 12:25 PM
Jazzy

Warren, sorry about the ranting. Some of us cannot resist the opportunity to voice our opinions.
If a muffler is stated to fit the O.S. 46FX it will fit the TT Pro46. You can go directly to Slimline or Bisson on-line and view their products. Tower doesn't always advertise all of the products available from the brands they carry.
Part of the reason many brands advertise a fit for O.S. is they are generally the most popular engine. Once they produced what was accepted my most as The Best engines you could buy. Times change but attitudes, like streets, don't change in equal relation.

Shemp, Glad to see you stop back in! Haven't seen ya in a while!
I see you still equate RPM with strength...
If Futaba does own O.S. I stand corrected. (I did say it was my, "understanding," not trying to imply fact.)

Sport Pilot, I sent an engine back to ACE a little over a year ago and received excellent service. Maybe the relocation of their facilities has something to do with service quality as of late. Sorry to hear of your difficulty.

Essentially folks, if you pick an engine and like it, stick with it. If you don't like it try another. With so many to choose from it is hard to go wrong as each engine has it's own high points and low points.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:42 PM
f2racer

Default Re: Thunder Tiger Pro .46 owners

Originally posted by Warbird Fanatic
What mufflers are you using on your TT pro's. I am looking to install a pitts muffler on a sideways mounted pro and my first pick wasnt a winner.
This thread kinda got off topic here. Any 46FX muffler will work with a Pro-46. I've got a Tiger Shark Pitts Muffler for 40-52 Engine. Holes line up perfectly. A little bit louder than stock (I'm guessing that most pitts mufflers will be louder due to lack of baffling)... Makes almost 500 more rpms using an 11x6 prop. I bought the Tiger Shark muffler because it was cheap. But I'm really impressed by the quality. Looks as good as any of the Bisson or Slimlines that I've seen at LHSs...
Old 06-18-2002, 04:01 PM
Grumpy Monkey

Regardless of what anybody says the 46FX is actually several hundred RPM stronger than the TT46 Pro and this info is contained in several magazine test reviews which I trust far more than the often exaggerated
Its all irrelevant to the original question at hand, but... In all my reading, I have never read any review that has been derogatory and unbiased. I recently bought X plane based on X review and the review was so far off it wasnt even funny. The plane will just not fly based on what is in the review. I have tried and a couple guys at my field have tried and it wont do it. This plane recieved rave reviews and it was all a crock. Just think, If I am givin a product to review from a major manufacturer, and I slam it in print in a major publication, do you think they will ever send me anything again. Hell NO! I take reviews like a grain of salt now. It was the first review I actually took there word for, and I got burned. My mistake. $ is the driving force in all of it and most of it is B.S anyhow. I like to read them mostly to get specs and info. If I am really that interested, I will do the tests for myself and make my own decisions. All I do know is I like my TT Pro, it is reliable, starts right up hot or cold and runs like a champ and that is all there is to it. Period. So if you want to slam something, please do it in another thread. Sorry for gettin hostile, but all I asked was a simple question and got some good answers (thank you) and a whole lot of other FLUFF that I have to sort through to get relevant info.
Hmmm, I feel better now

Warren
Old 06-18-2002, 04:09 PM
Sport_Pilot

Sorry Warbird Fan,
But by the time i read this your question had been answered. I saw some posts that were completely inaccurate and over generalized. Like all TT's are junk. Or all pacific rim engines are junk, etc. But I must admit, I enjoy a good argument.
Old 06-18-2002, 04:11 PM
rcflier_gi

Amen Warren
Old 06-18-2002, 04:26 PM
Cyclic Hardover

I have the TT46pro and 46fx, Also 61pro and fx. I am swapping stuuf between them all the time. Everything should fit fine. 61fx is everybit as healthy as the 61fx.

As far as what happen to your original question, this happens all the time. You start a subject on Hobbico Retracts and a couple days later you slamming the transmitters with frequencys that have not been made for 30 years.

The fault here lays on the moderators. if they see a reply which is not the same or at least directly related, they should automatically delete it. That is how this crap gets started.
Old 06-18-2002, 06:14 PM
Elwood

Originally posted by Cyclic Hardover

The fault here lays on the moderators. if they see a reply which is not the same or at least directly related, they should automatically delete it. That is how this crap gets started.
Moderation is not an easy job. There is a very fine line between over moderating, and not moderating enough. From what I have seen these past few months, the forums at RCU are first rate thanks to the community here and any junk posting is revealed for what it is. We have to be careful not to over moderate. This can be worse than a forum unchecked.
Old 10-27-2002, 11:25 PM
Pete OConnor

Default OK, so who has the best price

I've decided on the TT pro46 for my application. At the moment Tower is $74 for the TT. Is there a better price out there for this motor???
Thanks,
Pete
Old 10-27-2002, 11:49 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

A little more local-
http://www.creekhobbies.com/acb/show...D=1419&CATID=7
Old 10-28-2002, 08:38 AM
fiery

The TT engine designer who used to work for OS in the "good old days" of OS is Kazuhiro .... ummm ..... forgot his second name while typing!

Help me out here guys!!
Old 10-29-2002, 05:28 AM
jmercer52
My Feedback: (14)

Kaz Maraha.....I think

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.