Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Everything Radial Engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 05:19 PM
the Gnome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Everything Radial Engines

Hey Nils,

as I mentioned above, what about the big Kankge Monocoupe 90? The GeeBee Sportster from Eurolight ( www.eorolight.aero ) seems to be a good choice also. Great Planes has a Stearman and a Super Stearman that may fit the Saito, I think.

What's Your oppinion?

gnome
Old 06-24-2007, 05:27 PM
the Gnome

Hey again, The eurolight website is

www.eurolight.aero ,

You can find a 110'' ARF Beaver on

www.frankenmodellbau.de

(under "PRODUKTUBERSICHT" and then "MOTORFLIEGER"),

here is the Kankge Monocoupe

http://www.advantagehobby.com/produc...4&cat=0&page=1

gnome
Old 06-24-2007, 05:48 PM
nilsreinert123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hei ,thank`s for the links , i need to find a plane that fits my air strip ,which is only 80 metres long. So i want a plane that can land slowly . All of them looked great though! The Kangke monocoupe is cheap ,and will probably be fine:-)
Old 06-24-2007, 06:56 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: nilsreinert123

Hei!

What is a good and a bit slow flying ARF model for any of the 5 cylinder radials ( asp 400 / saito 325) ?

-Nils Reinert

--------------

I know it isn't a scale model, which is probably what most folks want, but it doesn't cost $700 either. I'm talking about the Great Planes Giant Aeromaster ARF or ARC.

This is the model in which I am going to install my Saito 3.25 R5 radial.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-25-2007, 03:01 AM
the Gnome

Hey Nils, I remember too that the Monocoupe has flaps and Kankge claims, that the start and landing distance with carefull use of the flaps is nearly not to measure. I also have a very short field, 100m with a 4m high wall at the beginning, and my Monocoupe 70 lands easily.

Holm und Rippenbruch,

gnome
Old 06-25-2007, 04:27 AM
nilsreinert123

Sounds great! How is the ASP 400 compared to the Saito? is the quality good ,i have very good experience with my Saito 90 r3 ,but not so good experience with a SC 2 tway engine ,belive SC and ASP are the same brand.. The ASP 400 is much cheaper than the Saito 325 though.
I am running my 90r3 with out any onboard glow ,and it is very reliable. So if i am buing a ASP 400 i hope it will be as reliable as the Saito.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:24 AM
the Gnome

Nils, I would not fly a radial powered model without onboard glow, it seems, that the rather horizontaly low cylinders of the R3 don't tend to flame out, but on a five cylinder this may sometimes occur. With onboard glow the ASP or Magnum will be as reliable as every other five cylinder radial, I think.

By the way, here is a short video of a Magnum 400, You can find it under

"Berichte" and then Udet Flamingo behind the page withe the 8th chapter of the building story (Baubericht) on the web site:

www.mgliestal.ch

Holm und Rippenbruch,

gnome
Old 06-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Didg

I understood that the 325 R5 would be to heavy an engine for Kangke's 1/4 scale Monocoupe.
The 170 R3 is said to be ok for power and bang on for weight with this model.

I'm going to be ordering one of these Monocoupes soon and would prefer to fit a 325.
But apart from balance issues, from what I can gather, the front end of the aircraft has not been designed to support this kind of weight.
However, if you can fit a 325 in the cowl and can get it to balance ok, then let me know how you and the airframe get on.
As I said, I'd prefer to fit a 325 over a 170 if at all possible.

Didg.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:58 PM
nilsreinert123

I am trusting The Gnome and i have a 3 cylinder saito 90 on a Corsair 60 ,so i will anyway go for a 5 cylinder on my next project ,probably the Magnum 400 ,since it is much cheaper. I am just doing research here ,and takes advises from experienced people to find the right plane.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:50 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nils,

We have a Kanke Monocoupe flying at my field. I'm 99% sure that an OS 1.20 Surpass is powering it. It flies very scale like with some power to spare. With that engine, an incredible amount of weight had to be added to the nose. The 170R3 puts out about the same h.p. as the Saito 1.20, so it may be a good fit unless you need more power.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:59 AM
the Gnome

Nils, I have had the Kankge Monocoupe and a Saito 325 R5 as a project two years ago, I think, Didge is right, as on nearly all ARF kits You will have to strengthen the fire wall for the fife cylinder. as I remember, the servos for elevator and rudder are mounted underneath the stabilizer, so if You fit the receiver and battery at the same place, may be You will only need little additional weight to balance correct.

What I remember too is, that the distance between the bubbles for the valve covers on the cowling is a bit too wide, so You must either cut the cowling between the bubbles or cut the bubbles and fix them at the right place to fit the Saito. On my project I made the modification with moving the bubbles to the correct position.

I did not finish the Monocoupe and sold it again, because I purchased the Aero for my Saito engine. I know several ARF GeeBee Sportsters here in Germany flying with OS or Magnum radials, and the combination works really good, inspite of the extra weight, so I think You must not be affraid. The only thing I was thinking over was eventually strengthening the landing gear.

Holm und Rippenbruch,

gnome
Old 06-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Didg

Hey Nils,

Another model you could check out is Aero Works' Stearman.

http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=232

The vids are excellent too.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:10 PM
nilsreinert123

WOW ,that was really something ,i liked it! and it is not too expensive, thank you for the link. the Stearman is a classic.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Didg

I don't know if you have an Aero Works distributor in Norway.
If not, try Fusion Models here in the UK.

http://www.fusionmodels.co.uk/
Old 06-27-2007, 03:57 PM
TURBINATOR

I'm about ready to order my Aeroworks Stearman. Will be putting in a Saito 325 in it. The video on their site sold me.

Jeff
Old 07-04-2007, 03:32 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Well guys. have enjoyed and apped the info on the thread immensely. I finally have a 325 running on a 1/4 Fleet. I have three tanks through it and will run it a little every other day till I get some fuel through it enough to fly it. I'm smacking my hands to keep from leaning it out abit but I know the engine will tell me when to do it. As rich as I have to run it, it's a mess to clean up after!!! Ha. Ha. Man the sound is worth it all. Will get a vid or two of it real soon. Is there anyone else thats in the process of breaking a Saito 325 in right now??? Bill r. Realy want to thank you for the help on the past as all the others with there post. I have a 170 that I want to hang on a Peashooter but feel I need to work on that one. It has been setting up on the shelf a year or two and I'v oiled it right often but I tried to turn it over the other day and found no compression. I guess the rings have set up and will need a teardown. Thanks for all the post and help. Roy aka Hooker53
Old 07-16-2007, 10:01 PM
sebthefly

It all seems to have gone quiet on the thread.... I have been sitting back watching and keeping quiet but I think it's time to take a dip. I bought an ASP(Magnum/SC) 400 a few months ago and was pretty happy with it visually when it arrived. A month or so went by and I got around to making a stand and the on-board glow system had arrived so it was time to fire it up.... It was an easy start. Second or third flip and off it went. Sounded mighty fine even with just the stub exhausts. I ran a tank or two through it (CoolPower four stroke fuel) and gradually increased the revs during the runs and also lowered the idle speeds. Naturally I had it set very rich for run in so the transition from idle to mid revs was a bit spluttery but it sounded great at mid and high revs. The idle was rough. After a total of about 30 mins of run time I was turning it over by hand and it seemed to have a big variation in compression between cylinders. 3 of them felt fine 1 was below the others and 1 was almost non existant. I ran it again and put the infrared thermo on it and sure enough there was one cylinder running cool and one cold. Bugger.
Naturally as it was bought directly out of China there was going to be no after-market help there. So I pulled the offending cylinder (#2) off and extracted the valves. The quality of the internals is pretty nice. All the alloy parts (Cylinder heads, pistons etc) are beautiful. The steel parts (ie the valves) however appear made out of old railway spikes. Very poor machining and it was easy to see what the problem was. The valves were simply not seating correctly. Out with the fine lapping paste and 10 minutes later I was reassembling it. Fired up again and it was better. But I was now unsure about the condition of the rest of the motor so I have now striped it down completely. I am glad I did too as all the ball bearings used are of low quality and were showing signs of corrosion. The cam rings and followers and the pushrods are all of the same below-average quality shown by the valves, but there is little to be done about that for now I guess. The Cam rings and followers do not appear to have been hardened and there is substantial wear shown even after only 1 hours running . So I am about to install new bearings throughout, lap all of the valves and re-run it. My feelings so far are that I would now spend the extra money (yes I know its a lot more) and get something from Saito or OS (probably a Saito 450 triple radial). I bought a new Saito FA 82a single a couple of weeks ago for an ARF Cub on floats and it is a lovely bit of engineering. Real quality. The Magnum/ASP is a fair way behind in the terms of the metalurgy within. So although I am not delighted with the magnum, nor an I slamming it. It is a budget engine and it has some budget parts. The Chinese makers are heading in the right direction and when they get closer to OS and Saito, then you will have a real choice to make.

Seb
Old 07-16-2007, 10:48 PM
nilsreinert123

Thats sad to hear , but yesterday i ordered an ASP 400 from conrad.com in Germany[8D] ,for 820 euro.

Looking forward to receiving it and fire it up!

Maybe your`s from a bad party or something?

-nrg
Old 07-17-2007, 03:44 AM
gdutruy

Hi guys,

I'm proud to say that I've recieved my second Seidel ST-726 past week (second hand). It runs really well after setting up all the valves. This engine will be mounted on a Balsa USA stearman (as the other ST-726 does).

I'm now on the projet to build a Ziroli DC-3. Did someone saw on of these with radials installed ???

Gilles
Old 07-17-2007, 04:12 AM
woodworm

Gilles, you are crazy...

Woodworm
Old 07-17-2007, 06:41 AM
Cybertom

Woodworm,
Can we see a picture of the BUSA Stearman with the radial installed? Better yet do you have a video?
Old 07-17-2007, 08:58 AM
gdutruy

Sorry but my limited english made a misunderstood.

the first stearman is not finished yet too, i'm actually uncovering it because I wasn't happy with the colour scheme as i bought it. He was originally monted with a seidel ST-525 but i decided to replace it with the St-726. (who said "too much power is just about right" ???)

I bought a second ST-726 for a friend to install in his stearman that is waiting for the paint job too. The goal is to fly these big birds togheter with nice engines in a very few month.

Cybertom, if you are interest in photos of the stearman as i bought it, i can retry to upload them because it's not working yet.

Gilles

Old 07-17-2007, 10:11 AM
TURBINATOR

Seb,

Thank you for your objective observations with the ASP 400. Good info to take note of when making a decision on engine choices. Remember, some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

Jeff
Old 07-17-2007, 11:31 AM
the Gnome

Hello Seb, You can improve wear characteristics and lifetime of the non hardened parts by coating them with dicronite plus, it's a wolfram disulfid coating that has 70 ... 72 HRc and reduces friction dramatically. You can find it under www.dicronite.com . I used it to protect the vave train parts of a Porsche 356 Carrera, and it works.

gnome

Holm und Rippenbruch
Old 07-20-2007, 04:59 PM
nilsreinert123

I have changed my plans ,and have not purchased the asp 400 yet , the reason is that i want a smaller engine and the 7 a and 7 b technopower looks like could be better for my use. they actually have the same weight as my saito fa90r3. The only bad thing is that they are more expensive.
How is the sound on these engines? and quality?

And does anybody have a Technopower 7 for sale??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.