Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 08:17 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

The original 5.0 in the 79 LTD had piston slap. Even replacing the pistons and honing the cylinders couldn't fix it. Apparently when the block warmed up the cylinders distorted, and caused the slap. It eventually went BOOM one day driving up my street to the house. 25 MPH and CLANGCLANGCLANGCLANG. Bought a JY engine and had it bored .030, new pistons, honed to fit, manually gapped the rings in each cylinder, had the decks milled, the cam and crank line bored, and that was the beginning of the blue printing. It also only got Castrol GT oil.

What I would like to do if I ever had $30K burning a hole would be to build a Factory Five Coupe with a Coyote in it. It would be one saweet ride. Aint no Saito gonna power it though.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:56 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

so here is where I am at with the Mustang, I have 3 engines I can use and each engine gives me a different problem I have to get around, what engine would you go with ?

Saito 100 Single)
if I mount it upside down the engine will be troublesome to start and prone to miss fire or flame out, the head will stick out the bottom of the cowl a good 20mms or more,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100aero.gif
Views:	28
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	2261580  

Last edited by the Wasp; 08-08-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:00 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I should say that even tho grain is involved beers are good carbs too

This is the extent of my mechanical knowledge
Old 08-08-2018, 10:04 PM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hart

I should say that even tho grain is involved beers are good carbs too

This is the extent of my mechanical knowledge
well then I guess you will never own an engine like that LOL
Old 08-08-2018, 10:09 PM
Rudolph Hart

Jim did you have a sister like this too?

Jim i like scale sounds so i'll restrict my comments to the saito fa100 you are thinking about for the midget mustang.There is no problem,mount it sideways as i've done with the fa115 in mine see pic back a few posts.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:19 AM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

[QUOTE=the Wasp;12453793]so here is where I am at with the Mustang, I have 3 engines I can use and each engine gives me a different problem I have to get around, what engine would you go with ?

Saito 100 Single)
if I mount it upside down the engine will be troublesome to start and prone to miss fire or flame out, the head will stick out the bottom of the cowl a good 20mms or more,
Old 08-09-2018, 02:34 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Jim, that K&B 100 muffler has long, wide baffles in the muffler that weave back and forth and when one it's side they create deep boxes that will fill with lube oil. You might want to grind notches in what will become the bottom end of the baffles so the oil won't get trapped.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 08-09-2018 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Add picture
Old 08-09-2018, 03:22 AM
Jesse Open

Jim, I forgot to tell you to check your PMs. I left the tracking number for your Saito FA-100 .
BTW, Should you need any welding done on that K&B muffler, just let me know. No problem reworking the outlet tube or even repairing holes that you regret having there
Old 08-09-2018, 03:32 AM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wasp
it sounds like you don’t want to cut the cowl. If it’s going to bother you that much go electric. You won’t get the Beautiful sound of a Saito 100 but you wouldn’t have any holes in the cowl that don’t look normal.
Now if it were me,I would side mount it and show that Saito off but that’s me.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:35 AM
Jesse Open

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44

Now if it were me,I would side mount it and show that Saito off but that’s me.
Me too!
Old 08-09-2018, 06:56 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44
But a little back ground on me, my dad was a 30+ year mechanic and i had to work with him since I was five. He always did the job the right way because he was so worried about call backs it drove him nuts sometimes and sometimes i had to pay the price for his frustration. He would always say “doctors buried their mistakes but mechanics have to live with them” I do thank him for all his knowledge, it sure has saved me a ton of money over the years.
Hi Capt, yep, been there too, but not so much with frustration. My dad painted a lot, so I was cheap labor for chipping off paint, sanding, and general grunt work. Yes, we did chip off paint and I hated every minute of it. My dad finally opened a speed shop in Florida, but it failed because he was an uber perfectionist and he lost money left and right because of that. He never accepted the "time is money" business concept, so he tinkered rather than repair and replace with another customer. Sort of sad to hear about, but it was inevitable. I was in the service and not around to see him loose the business. After that, he owned a bar.

BTW, the YS talk is almost as bad as OS stuff. This is a Saito forum. Let's deviate back more to just Saitos, ok? Oh, and another thing that must be said: YS's are not as easy to tune and stay tuned as any Saito as far as I've seen. I have Saitos that have flown for years without touching a needle. And, no fuel system cleaning, etc every year. A properly tuned and broken in Saito just needs glow fuel (preferably with castor}, 3 vdc to crank, and go fly. (this wasn't aimed at you Captain but is a side rant)

Last edited by blw; 08-09-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:56 AM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I totally agree we all run Saito’s for a reson. That’s because there really cool looking and they preform pretty much without flaw.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:28 AM
Jesse Open

Originally Posted by blw
Hi Capt, yep, been there too, but not so much with frustration. My dad painted a lot, so I was cheap labor for chipping off paint, sanding, and general grunt work. Yes, we did chip off paint and I hated every minute of it. My dad finally opened a speed shop in Florida, but it failed because he was an uber perfectionist and he lost money left and right because of that. He never accepted the "time is money" business concept, so he tinkered rather than repair and replace with another customer. Sort of sad to hear about, but it was inevitable. I was in the service and not around to see him loose the business. After that, he owned a bar.

BTW, the YS talk is almost as bad as OS stuff. This is a Saito forum. Let's deviate back more to just Saitos, ok? Oh, and another thing that must be said: YS's are not as easy to tune and stay tuned as any Saito as far as I've seen. I have Saitos that have flown for years without touching a needle. And, no fuel system cleaning, etc every year. A properly tuned and broken in Saito just needs glow fuel (preferably with castor}, 3 vdc to crank, and go fly. (this wasn't aimed at you Captain but is a side rant)
Just one comment since you asked we drop the YS and for some reason followed up with your negative opinion on YS tuning.
I have been flying both YS and Saito since the late 1970s and early 1980s. Contrary to what many seem to think my experience has been, the YS is quite stable and with its excellent regulated fuel system very easily stays in tune for extended periods. While I do take the fuel system apart for over-wintering, once set up in the spring I doubt they require any more tinkering than an average Saito. If indeed they were troublesome, I would be one of the last to accept them. The YS .91AC is a real workhorse that is easy to start and has abboutthe best idle and transition of any 4 stroke I have used in that range of sizes. Of course, the power is hard to match as well.

I love mySaitos too.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 08-09-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:51 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

There is nothing wrong with YS they are a well built engine. Its just for some of us they seem to be more touchy in the adjustment department and not as easy as Saito to start. This could be a user issue and not an engine issue but I think we do have a tendency to stay with what works for us.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:56 AM
the Wasp

I knew all you guys would pick the Saito LOL,,, LOL I guess you guys could not set your bias aside LOL

Pete, that sure is a funny video LOL.. I had 3 older brothers, only one was worth anything, boy the stories I could tell you.. I have seen your photos of your plane, but can you take one more and post it, please buddy, to show me how your exhaust exits the cowl, that would be very helpful !

Dave, my K&B came with the baffles removed, it also came with a one peace head, I have got to find a plane that it will fit in !!

blw) I blew it badly, I had the chance to buy a never started YS 91 for only $230, the price sat on it for about 1 year,, and I think I could have got the seller to pay the shipping,, I passed on it and now I regret it, it was my bast chance to date to actually own an engine with a blower on it, and I passed on it

Jim
where you been, what you been doing, who you been doing it with, maybe you better not tell

Last edited by the Wasp; 08-09-2018 at 09:59 AM. Reason: I screw up, all right <<<< that sounds like a blues song
Old 08-09-2018, 05:28 PM
Rudolph Hart

Jim gary is giving you good advice see pic here of my fa82 and how it sits in the decathlon.Straight exhaust is a pipe off my fa200r3 or the fa182td can't remember.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:47 PM
Rudolph Hart

Nice clean topside.Don't run too bigger pitch prop if you want to keep an eye on it in flight.

Refuelling valve at rear of mesh section.The fa115 is a tight fit but well cooled.

Circle at top left is where the exhaust header does not quite fit in the cowl.Look close and you can see the main needle extension and an old tuning ref marked with texture.Flexi exhaust and silicone 40mm long extension clears the cowl nicely.Glow stick point to the left.

Ok here's some close up pics of how the fa115 is mounted in my cmpro midget mustang.As i keep saying,your midget is bigger so you'll have more room to fit the fa100 in the cowl.Easy peasy.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:54 PM
Rudolph Hart

If you take dave's advice and fit a fa100t flip it upside down like this pic of my h9 taylorcraft with fa182td.Flexi exhausts are good.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:55 PM
the Wasp

Pete, thanks for the extra photos , I just found I have a engine mount that is drilled for the OS 61, so I can now mount my Saito to the Mustang and see just how it fits,, I will reply later or tomorrow, maybe I will put the K&B in my P-40,,, if it fits LOL

thanks !!

Jim
there are some really good people on RCU
Old 08-09-2018, 10:05 PM
Rudolph Hart

I use this pic to try and describe what you feel like mentally at times while flying a midget that's well tuned.

Glad it helped,don't get me confused with the nice people here i'm a rude old fart and don't you fergit it! what's the AUW for your midget? mine flys at 4.5kgs so it's heavily loaded and easy to fly no matter how windy it gets.One of the advantages of having that much power for it's size and shape is that it really is faster than an emu! ever seen a bunch of emu's outrunning the artillery? they can really giddyup when they have to.It likes to boom and zoom.

ps barry i hope your dad's bar had a better class of patron than is common here and especially in nz.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:17 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Pete, it looks like the high speed slip stream wore some of the paint off of that plane, it must be the 115

I haven't heard from the NZ guy concerning the plans for the PA 36
Old 08-10-2018, 04:54 AM
Jesse Open

Here is an in the cowl pic of a 45 degree mounted FA-82 in my Toledo Spl. Note the centered muffler. The muffler is a modified YS salvaged magnesium casting with an oversize, machined from bar aluminum tail. The inlet had been broken by a friend in a crash so I welded it up and re-drilled at a new angle.

Jim gary is giving you good advice see pic here of my fa82 and how it sits in the decathlon.Straight exhaust is a pipe off my fa200r3 or the fa182td can't remember.
I had the same plane (If that is a Seagull) with a YS.63.
In that one, I went 90 degrees because that valve cover was about all that went outside the cowl. Made for a very clean installation.
I used a home-made pair of elbows and managed to get the muffler on center, out the bottom.
Gobs of power and a nice flying plane.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 08-10-2018 at 05:17 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:06 PM
the Wasp

I use this pic to try and describe what you feel like mentally at times while flying a midget that's well tuned.

Glad it helped,don't get me confused with the nice people here i'm a rude old fart and don't you fergit it! what's the AUW for your midget? mine flys at 4.5kgs so it's heavily loaded and easy to fly no matter how windy it gets.One of the advantages of having that much power for it's size and shape is that it really is faster than an emu! ever seen a bunch of emu's outrunning the artillery? they can really giddyup when they have to.It likes to boom and zoom.

ps barry i hope your dad's bar had a better class of patron than is common here and especially in nz.
Pete, the only info I have is

Wing Span.......... 59.5 inches/ 1510mm,
Wing Area.......... 667 sq in/ 43.0 sq dm,
Flying Weight.... 7.5 lbs/ 3400 G

Jim
if you don't do it some one else will
Old 08-10-2018, 06:09 PM
the Wasp

Rudolph Hart) One of the advantages of having that much power for it's size and shape is that it really is faster than an emu! ever seen a bunch of emu's outrunning the artillery? they can really giddyup when they have to.It likes to boom and zoom.
thanks for the good info, cause I sure don't want no powderpuff

Jim
my Cat like's cheeze
Old 08-10-2018, 06:17 PM
the Wasp

I didn't get to mount the Saito to the Mustang today,

Jim
I don't mind when she sends money or brings her girlfriends with her, but the wife wont let her in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.