Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 12:19 PM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
I have one of those and a 91, neither of which I have run yet. Still looking for a test stand. That really cool one posted earlier at not in stock.
The YS are different but not at all difficult for anyone with an open mind and decent understanding.
A little fuel system purging and cleaning in the fall , initial tuning in spring and they are wuite reliable and stable for the entire season.No worse than a typical Saito, often better.
That 1.15 is awesomely smooth. Much lower vibes than a similar size Saito single.
You will love that engine if you take the time to learn it.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:35 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by blw
Hi Old Fart- Yes, I was very very fortunate to see all that stuff all my life. I never understood how he learned things. It was like the knowledge just brushed off things and jumped into his head. He just somehow learned electronics one day and began making money on the side repairing TV's. We were a bit poor in the 1950's, so he worked on TV's and was one of the first mechanics for European imports in Atlanta. He cleaned up a lot of money working on the first VW beetles. We had a used '57 bug with a suicide gearbox- first wasn't synchronized. He put an upright Porsche engine in it. It was basically a drop in and go fit back then.He drag raced in that and brought home the trophies. It had a vinyl like accordion fold sunroof that slid back. He later read an article in Road and Track or Hotrod magazine about putting a Chevy Corvair engine in a Karman Ghia. He found a used Ghia and he stuffed the Corvair engine in the back. It looked like a factory build. I never got to drive any of those. He bought a Cobra 289. I remember uncreating it with him. He put that in a Volvo. That was probably the first S 2000, lol. It was insanely fast.

Somewhere around here there's a photo of me taken around 1955. I was sitting on the gas tank of his Bonneville.
Your dad sonds like my kind of guy. I've never had any problem seeing how things work. I don't have na originating bone in my body but I savvy the skinny of most anything I can get a good look at. Same thing with electronics; I just get it.

That Corvair engine into a Ghia must have been something to see. I had a couple of Corvairs with HP engines. One with the HC pistons & 4 carbs and another with the turbo. I put one engine together with the 110 HP heads and the turbo. Went like a stripe-arsed ape but blew the exhaust seals regularly. Had it in a '66 Corsa; great little road car. Ancient history.....

I ran YS engines in warbird racers. Those engines were beautiful. I think I still have a modified .60 two stroke. Just had to avoid getting an alky bath in running the YS's.

CR
Old 08-07-2018, 05:24 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

you
Originally Posted by Hobbsy

Jim, would the 100-T fit in there? A mere fun suggestion..
Dave, and you have a Saito 100T don't you ,, well I just checked again for you, yes, the 100T will fit nicely inside the cowl side to side, but to get the engine in I had to put one cylinder in first, then turn the engine to point the crank forward, so with that there is 2 things to add>> A) you would have to cut a hole in the top of the cowl for the carbs, or other wise you could not get the engine forward enough for the prop hub to pass threw the front of the cowl, I guess it would work well if you mounted the engine upside down,,, and B) you would have to cut out a patch on one side (or even both sides) of the cowl to get the cowl around the engine once the engine is mounted to the engine wall,, but I tell you if you didn't mind cutting out the sides of the cowl and mounted the engine upside down it would fit very nicely in there, but then you would have to hook up the exhaust pipes....

Capt, boy for a plane with only a wing span of 59" it sure seams to have a huge fuselage, just meaning that it's fuselage has a lot of "area" to it, more than any other plane of this size that I have ever had.. I really like it's "Tri-Horn Control Arms" that came with it..

it's considered a .60 size plane, but I would think a 1.20/1.25 would be really nice in it

Jim
you can call Jim, or you can call me Jim Bob, but just don't tell any one
Old 08-07-2018, 05:29 PM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
If you really want to go fast...The YS 1.15.

Absolutely the smoooooothest running single cyl in the 1.00 to 1.25 class. YS115FZ-WS
I don't need another engine, so please please don't temped me, I want my engines to fly, and I already have 1 to many, I would really like to put my K&B 100 in my Mustang, but the muffler is a bit big

Jim
it it doesn't work, then there is something wrong with it
Old 08-08-2018, 01:21 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

90-T all done, as yet unrun since rebuuld.

Lottsa stuff that goes round and round and up down, in this case back and forth.
Thanks Jim, I now have a 90-T I refurbished, I missed another 100-T at 125 bucks, I think you saw it, it sold fast. The same gent I got the 120 DP from.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:56 AM
Jesse Open

It should be interesting to see how the FA-182 cam sets work out ..
About the only difference I can see is that the gear is wider across the face of the teeth. I didn't have a chance to measure the real differences that would account for Saito originally using the 65 series cams in that engine.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:21 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Hobbsy it's a Saito kit!
Old 08-08-2018, 04:40 AM
Hobbsy

It certainly was for a while, I enjoy working on them, I've rebuilt engines from a Yamaha 50, Honda 50 a 54 Ford 239 up to Chevy 350's and a Farmall tractor or two. It's pretty much all the same. The 54 Ford 239 had the oil pan solid full of ice. New bearings by Federal Mogul fixed it right up. And a new oil pump.
I am currently waiting for an aluminum back plate for a Saito 82a.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

So what are you doing with all these engines?
Old 08-08-2018, 05:10 AM
Hobbsy

Except for the ones on planes, I just have them, it's probably foolish but that's the truth. I only fly Saitos and OS four strokes now.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:16 AM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wasp
i know this plane. I love the world models. ARF’s. They are a good plane plane company. If you are interested i have a wing for that plane if you won’t it PM me and it’s yours.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:20 AM
Jesse Open

Are those back plates on back order again? I do keep at least 5 of them on hand. Let me know if you need one. Pleas do let us know how those 182 cams work in the 90 twin.

By the time I got to do my first full-size car engine there were already quite a few mower, chainsaw and motorcycle engines under the belt, Even an old Wisconsin V-4 from grandpas irrigation pump down on the farm. My dad used to do all the work on grandpa's farm gear.
. We had quite a shop at high school and were able to bring engines in for rebuilding. We had valve grinding equipment, Kwik-Way boring machines and Sunnen hones all donated to our shop by GM.
My first "Car" engine was a 4 cylinder for the $50 Model A Ford that I bought from a neighbor at age 15. The teacher and I had to make plugs for the con-rod big end and pour the babbit into the rods .We then bored the big ends to size with a laminated shim pack between the rods and caps. He was a real bugger about detail. Many of us stayed after school and he loved to stay as well. Sure miss those early days. Some engines are a bit different from others.
The seed was sown though, it has been a love affair with building and restoring engines of all kinds from 1929 Henderson fours to V12 Jags, 6 cylinder Hercules, the odder the better.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:20 AM
FlyerInOKC

Sounds like fun! The only automotive engines I have rebuilt were a 78 Honda Civic motor and the six cylinder out of a Ford Granada. A lot of work but fun.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:19 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

First engine I rebuilt was a 292 straight 6 in a 67 C30. Man was that a torque monster. Could take off from a dead stop in 3rd gear, which happened often with that three on a tree shifter. Think it is in first, oh heck no, went back in third. Last full size engine I rebuilt was a Ford 5.0/302 for a 79 LTD wagon. Did that in the early 90's and put 300K on it. I did a blueprint on it, spent a lot of time grinding and polishing and washing of that block and heads, but was worth it. Great runner. Moved that 79 wagon along nicely, and had straight pipes and glass packs. I buried the needle in the dash on the Interstate once, estimate about 130 MPH, it took quite a while to come off the peg which was about 95 MPH, the numbers ended at 85 and there was about another inch of travel before the needle disappeared. Still had some go left, but the roof started booming and scared the crap out of me, did not expect that, so backed off.

Now if I had more knowledge of air flow, CFM, intake tuning, etc. back then I could have made that thing a rocket on wheels. Today it is way too easy to get power out of a motor with all the ready build bolt on parts, wasn't like that back then, and aftermarket heads were very pricey. Today though, a 5.0 crate with a whipple can pump out 700+ HP, with no mods. Open up the heads, port and polish the intake runners, larger injectors, and it can easily break 1000 HP. The stock bottom end is very strong.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:07 AM
the Wasp

It should be interesting to see how the FA-182 cam sets work out ..
About the only difference I can see is that the gear is wider across the face of the teeth..
hummmmmmmmm,,, Gary, I am sure the Cams in my 100T are the older Cams, they click, the 182 Cams should fit the 100T too, correct ??

Jim
I caught my Cat sleeping once with his tail sticking straight up, I wonder what that meant (true story !!)
Old 08-08-2018, 08:11 AM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44
Wasp
i know this plane. I love the world models. ARF’s. They are a good plane plane company. If you are interested i have a wing for that plane if you won’t it PM me and it’s yours.
thank you for the offer, I may need it LOL LOL, but I don't have room for it right now

Jim
I have crashed before, and I will crash again, I promos
Old 08-08-2018, 08:11 AM
FlyerInOKC

I remember the puny little 305 in my 77 Impala. It developed a whopping big 110 hp, what a wimp. It wore the lobes off the cam at about 120K miles. I put new cam, lifters, and timing chain set in it. I went with a fuel economy cam the engine wasn't worth hopping up and I would sell the car in a couple years later. I bought with 6,000 miles on it in 1977. The orginal owner had bought it for his wife and she passed away suddenly. He was going to drive until it was repossessed it or until someone bought for what was owed on it. He spent $6800 on it I bought it for $4616 so I figure I got a deal at the time. I remember it had GM's bright idea of putting plastic teeth on the cam gear so I bought the set even before pulling the pan and inspecting.. The original cam gear was cracked in at least 8 places and a couple of teeth were gone.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:36 AM
Jesse Open

Originally Posted by acdii
First engine I rebuilt was a 292 straight 6 in a 67 C30. Man was that a torque monster. Could take off from a dead stop in 3rd gear, which happened often with that three on a tree shifter. Think it is in first, oh heck no, went back in third..
We got to build quite a few of those engines at the shop back in the 1970s. The local circle track initiated a 6 cylinder class for "econo" races. Suddenly the Chevy/GMC 292 became a very hot item. Many of the V-8 parts crossed over and those buggers did put out a goodly dose of power! The "econo" class cars often outran the V-8s as it turned out. I built the smaller 250 Cubic Inch version for my 1964 G10 work van . Used 11.25:1 pop up pistons along with the 1.94 inch intake valves. A Clifford Research cam and an Edelbrock 4bbl manifold with a Carter AFB carb. The van came from the factory with a little 194 CI originally but it did have 1 12 bolt 4.11 rear axle . Used the original 3 on the tree linkage to control the 4 forward gears on the Muncie 4 speed. The reverse gear was selected from a second lever mounted on the engine's "dog house". You simply put the column shift in neutral and slapped the "R" lever back. Took a little getting used to but it worked.

Originally Posted by the Wasp
hummmmmmmmm ,,, Gary, I am sure the Cams in my 100T are the older Cams, they click, the 182 Cams should fit the 100T too, correct ??
I don't really know for sure Jim. They are different P/N than the original, FA .65 based cams that were used in the FA-90T engines. I had noted the pic Dave had posted earlier where he has the FA-182T series cams in the pic. I asked him then if those were the cams he actually used, he affirmed. I do believe there is at least one dimensional difference between the two .
Old 08-08-2018, 10:58 AM
the Wasp

I don't really know for sure Jim. They are different P/N than the original, FA .65 based cams that were used in the FA-90T engines. I had noted the pic Dave had posted earlier where he has the FA-182T series cams in the pic. I asked him then if those were the cams he actually used, he affirmed. I do believe there is at least one dimensional difference between the two .
thanks, I will look into it more

Jim
yee-up, I was bitten by a chicken wen I was seven, and today I have a Saito twin, hummm imagine that
Old 08-08-2018, 11:35 AM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Geez. You guys are something. Do you all in joy working on engines? I have overhauled a couple 350’s and a 7.3 diesel, helped with a couple TSIO 540 and a couple IO 320s. But all the anxiety that I suffered after rebuilding just wasn’t worth it. But a little back ground on me, my dad was a 30+ year mechanic and i had to work with him since I was five. He always did the job the right way because he was so worried about call backs it drove him nuts sometimes and sometimes i had to pay the price for his frustration. He would always say “doctors buried their mistakes but mechanics have to live with them” I do thank him for all his knowledge, it sure has saved me a ton of money over the years. But to in joy rebuilding or working on engine’s was lost years ago. I struggle today just to work on this awesome little Saitos.
They are so simple and so cool it awesome.
I would like to thank all of you for your help and support that you offer.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:33 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

My dad nearly had a heart attack when he came home to find the 292 in pieces all over the ground, but had faith in me to get it back running and I did. I was 16 at the time, and that truck ran great. We kept it until 1983. Wish I still had it though, would make a great project truck.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:40 PM
Hobbsy

Ford 302's have always run stronger than the numbers would indicate, my current one in a 1995 F 150 has 215,000 on it and is as quiet and smooth as the day I bought it with 12 miles on it. It's never seen any oil other than Castrol SynTech.

I think I could assemble a Saito with a blind old on, funny thing is I've never had to work on one that I bought new.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:11 PM
Hobbsy

A few years ago there was some interest in four stroke Diesels, my Saito .80 will fire up unaided and run on Davis Diesel fuel, in the picture it is turning a Bolly 13.5 x 8 at 8,792 rpm. Idle was 1,541.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:28 PM
Jesse Open

Originally Posted by Hobbsy

I think I could assemble a Saito with a blind old on, funny thing is I've never had to work on one that I bought new.
Right now, I have 24 Saitos, most were bought used, a few were abused badly .

I bought a brand new 30 Open Rocker when they first came out around 1979. Believe it or not, I have replaced bearings in that one. It happens, no problem.

The only other that I have bought new up until this year were a FA .62 and an FA .82. No work on those aside from moving the vent and they have been run a LOT!
This year I bought a new FA-100 twin, a 182TD and a new, old stock 1.70 R3 radial. I haven't run any of those yet. I have a life long pattern of buying used, abused and broken machinery of all types. Fixing and improving the stuff is a big part of the enjoyment IMHO.
Out of over 55 Brit bikes (lost count long ago) only two ran when I bought them. The rest came home in boxes and baskets but were rode out of the garage as solid, reliable mounts.
My first Ford Model A was a basket case as was the 1940 Chevrolet that I moved up to in 1967 and used as a daily driver till 1975. Many cars have come and gone since then and at least half came here not running, often in need of an engine.

215K miles today is no big deal for a car. My 1983 Guzzi, air cooled motorcycle had 198K miles of year-round riding when I sold it in 2009. It has well over 215K on it now and it too runs as smooth and quiet as new.

If you run any engine hard enough, long enough , it will require service sooner or later.

I look forward to wearing out that .62 and the .82 so I can go through them, recalling all the fun I had while wearing them out.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 08-08-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:19 PM
FlyerInOKC

I remember my father in-law telling me about his first car back in 1940, it was a model A. It would jump time and he would have to coast to the side of the road and reset it. Eventually it got to where it wouldn't run at all. It died a long lingering death from old age.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.