Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 06:21 PM
FNQFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Re your queries about the ARF Lanzo, did you get it off Paul Farthing or Mick Walsh. That model did well at Canowindra Easter Do 2 years in a row with the Saito 62 fitted. My mate Jim was one of te instigators in getting the ARF project off the ground and says to all new comers to use Payboys inDuration and 85% Bombers in Texaco. I am using a YS63 powered Feathermerchant in Duration and have used many other types in Texaco but the ARF Bomber is my current project because of lack of time before the Dalby Do in June
The Dallaire is a 75% unit with a 63 in front something different for Duration.
For kits Dave Brown used to build some short kits but Klarich in the USA is the one to go to if you have the money
Get onto Paul Farthing or contact the boys in SAM 1788 in NSW for more info they aren't to bad for Mexicans.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I was playing with my fairly new Saito .56GK today, I ran about 8oz of 5% WildCat Premium Extra through it just because that was in the tank from running an Enya yesterday. I filled the 16oz tank with 15% Premium Extra and ran about 8oz of that through it with a Bolly 12.5x6 and got 9,550 rpm. I switched to a Graupner 12x6 and got 10,650 rpm. This was all with a TurboHeader on it. I didn't think the Bolly would pull that hard. I then placed my plain .62 on the test stand with a Graupner 12x7.

Both engines wore stock velocity stacks.

RPM with stock cast muffler 9,970
RPM with TurboHeader===10,210
Glow plug in the .56 was Taipan 4c
Glow plug in the .62 was a Fox Miracle.

All these readings are about 50 rpm below the actual peak which tended to wonder a bit but were rock steady when richened one click.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:40 PM
FNQFLYER

Try a respectable amount of Nitro around 15 tp 20% as per the makers recomendation and use a Saito plug works a treat in both humid and dry climates
Old 04-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Hobbsy

It was in fact 15% when I took the rpm readings, glow plugs rarely change the top rpm but on occasion they do.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:34 PM
FNQFLYER

I will dispute the point on glo plugs in correct length or heat range can affect the performance no worries at all. In Old Timer use this can be used to very great effect in the Texaco event and for duration I laways use a new plug for the last race (fly off) of the day, always good for a few more very vital RPMs
Old 04-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Hobbsy

We're talking Saitos designed for everyday sport use not hyper racing engines.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Jonnyspeed
My Feedback: (2)

Only have one, a .72, but it is the best nitro engine I have ever owned. It sat in a plane for 4 years without running or any kind of prep. I changed the plug, fueled it up and it purrs like a kitten. I run mostly electrics now, but I keep this one around because you just can't beat that pure Saito sound
Old 04-25-2010, 01:55 AM
Ernie Misner

Is the $20 bearing separator the same as or different from the 2 pieces that W8eye showed that he got at Harbor Freight Tools? Anyone have a picture of the bearing separator if they are different?

Thanks loads,

Ernie
Old 04-25-2010, 02:00 AM
Ernie Misner

A question about a lazy way to lube the rocker arms..... after using an ample amount of after run oil, if I store the plane for a week or so with the cylinder pointing straight down, will some of the oil eventually seep past the lifters and run down through the pushrod tubes into the rocker area???

Thanks loads guys, and PS - I think I have seen this happen a couple of times.

Ernie
Old 04-25-2010, 03:28 AM
mike109

G'day up there in FNQ.

I know Paul well though I bought my Lanzo Bomber through eBay from the other bloke before I found that Paul had them. I am glad that my Saito 62 is OK to use in this as that is what is in it.

I used to live in Cowra which is near to where Paul lives in Canowindra.

I am actually a member of Sam 1788 but not a very active one. I have been at a couple of the Easter events to help out with the food for the Saturday night BBQ.

I had a look at Klarich site. I am using a Mac and the site won't load properly though I discovered it will with the Google Chrome browser. Looks interesting and I will investigate further. I also know Brownie. I have one of his Dalaire (full size) kits here but I lost the plan in a house move.

Thanks for the info.

I almost made it to Cairns once but we turned inland a few miles short. I would like to get up that way some time. Several of my more interesting teachers from school days came from Cairns.

Cheers from Dubbo.

Mike

Old 04-25-2010, 08:04 AM
Hobbsy

Ernie, I am not one of those guys who worry about the rockers getting lube, I have yet to see a dry one. I use STP Power Steering fluid as a rocker lube and either it says forever or they are getting lubed from oil bypassing the valve stems. I don't pour oil down the pushrod tubes either, the lifters get plenty of oil from below. I think guys spend too much worrying about a non issue where the valve train is concerned.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:46 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Is the $20 bearing separator the same as or different from the 2 pieces that W8eye showed that he got at Harbor Freight Tools? Anyone have a picture of the bearing separator if they are different?

Thanks loads,

Ernie
Ernie- the bearing separator is on the right as it shows up here. That is the tool with split halves. You can see how they grip under the lip of the thrust washer.

The puller is the other tool with several grip fingers which grip the separator, and a center threaded rod that goes on the end of the drive shaft. You screw that in and this pulls the thrust washer off.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:47 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks loads,

Ernie
Ernie- the bearing separator is on the right as it shows up here. That is the tool with split halves. You can see how they grip under the lip of the thrust washer.

The puller is the other tool with several grip fingers which grip the separator, and a center threaded rod that goes on the end of the drive shaft. You screw that in and this pulls the thrust washer off.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Rudolph Hart

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Ernie, I am not one of those guys who worry about the rockers getting lube, I have yet to see a dry one. I use STP Power Steering fluid as a rocker lube and either it says forever or they are getting lubed from oil bypassing the valve stems. I don't pour oil down the pushrod tubes either, the lifters get plenty of oil from below. I think guys spend too much worrying about a non issue where the valve train is concerned.
There are plenty of people here worried about that.Some have put an extra crankcase breather to the cam box area and if memory serves you did too.If the oil is being pushed up from the crankcase past the lifters as you say then where's the cam in all this?
Old 04-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Hobbsy

I did do that to my 1.50S and it was a failed experiement and I said valve stems not lifters. You can see the blocked vent I put on the cam housing in this picture.

Sorry, here's a betta pitcha.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90101.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	1424788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94388.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1424789  
Old 04-25-2010, 12:19 PM
mk1spitfire

ORIGINAL: blw

Thanks loads,

Ernie

Would heating the front thrust washer elimanate the use of such tools to remove??
Old 04-25-2010, 12:52 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

I have only heard of it happening once.

I owned one of the first OS FS-120 (non surpass) engines in the USA in 83-84. I bench ran the engine considerably and I was dismayed to find that the valve train was squeaky dry upon checking the valve clearance. For the remainder of the time that I owned the engine, I manually oiled the valve train. I then sold the engine to a friend, who then sold it to another friend. This last friend flew the engine quite a bit. He experienced excessive wear in the valve train and had to replace the rocker arms and shafts.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-25-2010, 02:18 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: mk1spitfire

ORIGINAL: blw

Thanks loads,

Ernie

Would heating the front thrust washer elimanate the use of such tools to remove??
You sometimes have to heat them for removal even with using the tools
Old 04-27-2010, 05:20 AM
gwoodward

Gentlemen,
I have a FA/100. I had to replace the crank, my plane tip stalled and landed in the bushes. The prop must have hit a branch, not much damage to the plane. I ordered a new crank and bearings from Horizon. After replacing the crank the engine now has a bad vibration. At high RPM you can't feel the high speed needle. The shake is more like a buzz. The tech at Horizon told me it could be the timing. I have readjusted the timing 6 times with no difference. I have tried 2 different balanced props with and without the tru turn spinner. Has anyone ever heard of a new crank being out of balance?

Thanks' Glenn
Old 04-27-2010, 09:59 AM
spaceworm

Bad new bearings perhaps?
Old 04-27-2010, 12:19 PM
gwoodward

thank you,

I'll try buying new bearings. Is that a problem you have seen before. The shaft feel snug, no play in the bearings.
Glenn
Old 04-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Ernie Misner

I believe there is an easy to double check the timing. With the piston at TDC (not compression stroke) both valves should be open a little. Is this correct guys?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 04-27-2010, 02:18 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes
Old 04-27-2010, 06:28 PM
FNQFLYER

Common problem with most 4 strokes, when replacing the bearings, ensure that both crankshaft bearings are firmly bedded into their respective places, even a little misalignment can case vibratiion, in my case cause the destruction of a YS 63 in a Duration event climb (13,000rpm with a 13.5 x 6.5 prop) while going vertical
Old 04-27-2010, 06:40 PM
FNQFLYER

My Saitos (in fact all my 4 strokes) are not Hyper racing engines rather they are all engines operated within the manufacturers specifications. Have to be I travel to far to competitions to have less than totally reliable engines. All performance is gained by tuning, fuel mixing and adherence to the manufacturers specs. Especially such things as the oil content of fuel etc.
With regards to your Bolly props guard them with your life and if you can get any of the 12.5 x 5.5 props I designed for the YS 53 and the 13.5 x 65. ones for the YS 63 you will find that they work very well on your Saitos. Bolly have ceased production for some time now and I would almost kill to locate some of his stock.
The club I belong to SAM 84 has had a long love affair with Saitos that was started by my flying partner Jim and myself and combined with the YS 53 / 63 we feel we have the best combinations for O/T flying in thios country.
There are a number of various conversions for various OS 4 strokes around but none really come up to the Saito for both reliability and performance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.