Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

How do you fly your planes?

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!
View Poll Results: A poll
I fly as if my hair''s on fire - Full throttle all of the time!!!
4.23%
Maybe not full throttle all the time but I still like speed!
31.83%
I've found that speed isn't as important as gracefulness.
50.42%
I like to fly liesurely with a lawn chair and a glass of tea.
7.61%
My style of flying puts spectators to sleep.
4.23%
I fly half asleep.
1.69%
Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

How do you fly your planes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 07:28 AM
H5487

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you fly your planes?

This thread is not intended to bash those pilots who perform certain manuevers (the sky is big enough for all of us) but it is intended to see if vintage and oldtimer pilots are just as conservative in their flying as they probably are in other aspects of their modelling.

Personally, I've never been much into carnival rides because I don't care for having my body yanked around. I don't like throwing up either! [sm=52_52.gif] Therefore, if I were a pilot in WWII (like most of us fantasize about), I doubt that I would volunteer to fly fighters. I'd probably opt for either bombers or cargo planes. My style of RC flying also tends to lean more towards leaving the shiny side up. There are those who probably think that straight-and-level is boring but that's how I like to fly.

However, I think some manuevers are just plain wrong for some scale plnes. As an example, there is NOTHING I find more absurd than watching a model B-29 doing acro or 3-D. I think such manuevers are just so out of character for this genre of airplane! They didn't fly this way in real life so I just can't get into watching a model do it either. Don't get me wrong; I appreciate the skill necessary to do good acro. It's just that it seems very odd to me to watch a scale representation of a four engine bomber do it.

What do you other vintage flyers think?

Harvey
Old 01-01-2012, 07:38 AM
lazyace
My Feedback: (126)

Default RE: How do you fly your planes?

+1
Old 01-01-2012, 07:50 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you asking about our preferences as modellers, spectators of full-sized flying, or as as participants in full-sized manoeuvres?

For myself, in all three cases, I like big, open manoeuvres. I don't care much for violent or aggressive flying styles, as I find these both ugly and "mechanically unsympathetic".

And, in the spirit of debate, I'l add that it's much, much more difficult to fly slowly and accurately, than it is to fly quickly and accurately. Anyone gonna take the bait?
Old 01-01-2012, 08:07 AM
H5487

ORIGINAL: bogbeagle
Are you asking about our preferences as modellers, spectators of full-sized flying, or as as participants in full-sized manoeuvres?
As modellers.

My post regards flying scale models in ways that their full-size counterparts could never do. Perhaps a better way of asking would have been: How do you feel about flying scale models in non-scale ways?

Harvey
Old 01-01-2012, 08:15 AM
H5487

I don't care much for violent or aggressive flying styles, as I find these both ugly and ''mechanically unsympathetic''.
''...mechanically unsympathetic'' - I like that.

Harvey
Old 01-01-2012, 08:25 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a preference for seeing scale models flown in a "scale" manner ... as nearly as that can be done. I know how difficult a task that is. So, when I see it done well, I'm filled with admiration.

When I see a scale model flown carelessly, I tend to be a bit dismissive of the pilot. A weakness of mine, I admit ... 'cos it doesn't really matter, does it?

At our flying site (which is open to the public) I get the impression that spectators prefer models which present the illusion of reality, over those models which are "whizzy-whizzy".

For me, nothing compares to seeing a fine model make a fine landing.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:31 AM
H5487

Good landings are definitely scoring points for me because I know all too well how hard a smooth one is to pull off. However, it's the takeoff where I form MY impression of the pilot because if the model rolls five feet and then climbs out at an 80 degree angle doing 700mph, I rarely continue watching.

Harvey
Old 01-01-2012, 08:57 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ever hear of Tex Johnson?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_khhzuFlE
Old 01-01-2012, 09:10 AM
H5487

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

Ever hear of Tex Johnson?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_khhzuFlE
Yes I have but even if Tex Johnson barrel-rolled a 707, I still don't think of it as an acro performer. Just because somebody can make an airplane do something once doesn't make it a normal part of their flight routine and if it's not part of their normal routine, it seems odd to watch it fly that way.

Harvey
Old 01-01-2012, 09:54 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I find it more of a challenge to fly a plane in a scale fashion. Nice co-ordinated turns and scale speeds.
Drives me nuts to watch a Piper Cub flying at twice the scale speed and going almost unlimited vertical. Nice long take-off runs and scale speeds and maneuvers are what catch my attention. I do most of my flying at under 1/2 throttle when flying scale planes. Just doesn't look right having them zip around the sky.
Anthony
Old 01-01-2012, 11:45 AM
bem

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I learned to fly RC in 1973. I flew pattern (F3A) in 1970th in competitions. I did not fly that bad back then.You must admire the young people today that fly so much better then we was able to back then. Personally I prefer smooth precise manuvers regardless oftype of plane, it is just so nice to watch. The so called "3D" flying in later years are not that easy but for me not as nice to watch, it is fun for a while to watch and do - yes I have tried it - but the type of gracefulness I like to see is not quite there. But I know it is very difficult to fly good IMAC and other type of this more vivid acrobatc flying. And the indoor depron planes the youngsters fly incredibly good fascinate me, if we had seen that back in the 1970th we probably would not have believed our eyes. Yes I fly indoor with some depron planes also. Manuvers I hate? Indoors it is rolling circle to the right... (to left no problem)and inverted flying turning with rudder - man that is reallly backwards to do a turn inverted with rudder. Manuver I like in generalis for example a really loooong slowroll or knife edge with a pattern plane. I like to watch RC Jet flying in hands ofgood pilots also but I have never tried RC jet flyingmyself.

/Bo
Old 01-01-2012, 01:01 PM
1320Fastback

I agree that lots of types of flying is not easy. read 3D

For me I like scale flying and really like scale Helicopter flying. Yes the 3D heli flying is incredibly tough and requires years of practice but flying it like a real heli also does.

I mainly fly airplanes and try my hardest to keep lines straight and all maneuvers crisp and clean.
I like to fly with a purpose.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:01 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

I have to agree. I fly some 3-D, so I agree that learningthe throttle and controls skills needed is difficult, especially without gyros. But the manuever I had the hardest time learning was a smooth, slow, axial four point roll that took the length of the field to complete. I'm still trying to perfect it. Anyone can hit the sticks androll like crazy, few can make a smooth, slow roll without changing direction or altitude.

For myself, in all three cases, I like big, open manoeuvres. I don't care much for violent or aggressive flying styles, as I find these both ugly and "mechanically unsympathetic".

And, in the spirit of debate, I'l add that it's much, much more difficult to fly slowly and accurately, than it is to fly quickly and accurately. Anyone gonna take the bait?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:12 PM
TravelairR
My Feedback: (7)

I tend to like scale flying, maybe because I started this older and don't have the quick reflexes to fly 3D. I'm always working to improve my take offs and landings and use the rudder to turn. It just feels better to me and looks better to me when I'm flying.

Harry
Old 01-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

What I like: smooth, purposeful takeoffs and landings which demostrate to me the pilot is really in control. Also a nice, big, scale aerobatic routine is cool, too. Oh and a nice tailslide gets me interested, too!

What I don't like: flying that shows that the pilot has what I call "runway fright", where the plane jumps off the runway barely above stall speed on takeoff, usually veering to the left, wallowing all the while like a wounded duck... then floating and bobbing around all jerky jerky-like on landing, bleeding off excessive speed only to finally drop it in at the end of the runway. It is almost like the runway is repelling the airplane! Heh heh.

One more, the dreaded loop-then-roll... When every loop must be followed immediately by a quick roll. barf!

Hee hee, well, you asked!
Old 01-02-2012, 12:50 AM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

I learned to fly rc back in the early eighties. Back then I was a thumb flyer. I would see these guys
flying with their fingertips and how smooth their landings were. I thought man I wish I could fly That
smooth. Then I started flying 1/2 A planes. They were so quick that I was over controling with my thumb.
So one day I started flying with my thumb & pointer finger pinching the sticks. That small plane made
me a better pilot.. I don't fly 3D but those guys who do can do some funky manuevers real close to the
ground. I think if I was to take it up it would make me a better pilot still. The only manuever I really hate
is when my plane does the auger manuever.

R.L.
cub brother #31
Old 01-02-2012, 02:01 AM
dgliderguy

Anyone ever tried doing aerobatics to music, with headphones? Pick a nice, sweeping sound track with full orchestration and lots of strings, and you will soon discover a whole new way of flying.

I learned this trick with a .40-size GP P51 that I used to like to throw around the sky in a most unscale-like fashion. Then, one day a guy turned me on to flying to music, and suddenly my maneuvers were breathtakingly graceful. The loops ate up most of the sky, rolls were slow and surprisingly axial, and even my hang maneuvers had an aspect of transcendental grace to them. I didn't even realize I was doing it, until after I got back to the pits, and my buddy said "Man, I didn't know that Mustang could fly so SCALE!!" Changed my whole outlook on flying that plane.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:45 AM
H5487

I decided to change the name of this thread from "What kind of manuevers do you like or hate?" to "How do you fly your plane?" because it more accurately describes the resulting posts/discussion. Also, upon reflection, "What kind of manuevers do you...hate?" casts a more negative slant than I wanted.

Thanks, guys, for your responses. While this has hardly been a scientific survey, it does indicate that the readers of the Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC forum tend to fly more conservatively and I imagine that a lot of this has to do with age. I suspect that the regulars to this particular forum average a little older (and thus, possess higher degrees of patience and gracefulness that often accompanies age) than some of the Fly-Like-Your-Hair's-On-Fire threads on RCU. That's probably a safe assumption that doesn't need a large research grant to figure out.

I've also added a poll just for the fun of it.

Harvey
Old 01-02-2012, 04:08 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone once described 3-D flying as being like throwing a cat up in the air and watching it all the way down. I couldn't agree more.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 01-02-2012, 04:17 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Someone once described 3-D flying as being like throwing a cat up in the air and watching it all the way down. I couldn't agree more.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
+1 here with that !
Old 01-02-2012, 05:25 AM
MajorTomski

Since this is a vintage thread lets start with the two vintage planes I've owned.

I flew my trusty old Commodor RC'd free flighter like a free flighter. Most tiimes I'd climb up wind a ways then trim it to fly big slow circles a 1/3 to 1/2 throttle and let it fly where it wanted too. When it got downwind of the field I'd straighten it out go back upwind and do it again. The exception to this was just shooting touch and go's.

I have (awaiting recovering) a Great Planes standard Aeromaster that was flown with a YS91. Since it was a 60's pattern plane I flew it in a SCALE like patten mannor. Big slow loops and rolls. The most aggessive thing I'd do with that was a snap roll which may continue to a spin. My wife said it was my Happy Plane, it flew like it was happy doing it

Otherwise, like most of you I fly very scale like. I too like the challenge of makeing my take offs and landings look as full scale as possible. My first 2012 flights yesterday were with my BUSA Fokker Eindecker 90 just putzing around at 1/3 throttle.

Happy New Year and Happy Landings
Tom
Old 01-02-2012, 05:45 AM
clpahodges
My Feedback: (3)

I prefer flying smooth, coordinated maneuvers. A person that I used to fly with called it "swooping". I am not a 3D flyer. I do not have a problem with someone flying 3D, I know it is difficult. It just doesn't like my fire. What really looks ridiculous to me is that B-29 or Cub hanging on the prop.

Also, I agree with some others. A nice takeoff or landing is both fun to do and pleasing to watch. A nice takeoff or landing in a strong crosswind is really satisfying.

Bill Hodges
Old 01-02-2012, 06:02 AM
joebahl

I dont have a problem with 3-D flying as long as they dont do it 4ft in front of my face while iam flying mine nice and scale looking.This goes for heli's also .More and more clubs are making places at the club field so they can fly as wild as they want to with out scaring normal flyers or spectators or wildlife.lmao. joe
Old 01-02-2012, 06:49 AM
kwm1953

I normally fly into the ground.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:01 AM
joebahl

ORIGINAL: kwm1953

I normally fly into the ground.
AAAAH a canada bush pilot eeh ! Just kidding mate. joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.