Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Whats in your field box?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Whats in your field box?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 06:11 AM
Magical_Merlin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats in your field box?

Newbie here looking for the essentials in your field box. Starting to pick things up and want some help. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:11 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Whats in your field box?

Fuel, fuel pump, glow plug igniter, chicken stick and or an electric starter, battery for electric starter, glow plug wrench, spare glow plugs, after run oil, cleaning supplies for the plane, basic tools like screwdrivers and prop nut wrenches, a selection of nut's and bolt's, glue's, and I am sure that I have missed a couple of things. Good Luck, Dave
Old 08-21-2007, 07:31 AM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

I made a field box out of a Stanley two tier toolbox. I use several engines on my airplanes and try to keep some basic materials for that purpose. the tool box has a place for my battery and fuel and electric panel mounted at the bottom front of the lower tier. a basic box with materials like DavidAgar has explained will get you a good start. after you get your field box set up you will know what your needs will be,most people that come to the field now days except for a few of the older fellas don’t keep a chicken stick. I also keep a decent pair of thick welding type gloves in my box i use for when hand crank with the chicken stick.most of my propellers are apc and those things are sharp and can cause severe damage to your hand and fingers as any propeller can.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:35 AM
acarter

Some Essentials, these are just what i use, some poeple have different methods
-power panel
-hobby battery 12V
-glow driver
-electric starter
-plug wrench, also works for prop nut
-extra bands
-extra props
-fuel pump
-extra glow plug
-fuel
-assortment of pliers, screwdrivers, ect.

you do not need everything listed here but they are nice to have
Old 08-21-2007, 08:42 AM
[]TEX[]

Power panel
12v power source
fuel pump
igniter
spare plugs
plug wrench
fuel line
fuel
zip ties
quick charger
charger leads
starter
pliers
hex wrenches
notes
CA
servo tape
black sharpie
screwdrivers
nut drivers
shop towel
Old 08-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Dave trimmer

an essential for me is my quick charger, if i ever forget to charge a battery or i left it on by mistake I plug it in and 15 minutes later, I'm ready to go.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:17 AM
bigchap

rudimentary first aid kit,magic tape,spare spinner and prop nut.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:12 AM
spiral_72

Tissues, lighter, lighter fluid..
Old 08-21-2007, 11:51 AM
acarter

Don't forget the good ol' trusty garbage bage to carry the ashes
Old 08-21-2007, 11:55 AM
goirish

Shame on you acarter--
Old 08-21-2007, 12:08 PM
The Internet Killer

volt meter ????
Old 08-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Dr1Driver

I carry only the bare necessities. After over 20 years of R/Cing, I've discovered you don't really need much at the field.

1. In the bottom of the tool box: A tool to fit every fitting, nut, bolt or screw on your plane. Surprisingly, this isn't much. I carry a couple of allen wrenches, a Phillips and straight blade screwdriver, a pair of needle-nose and straight pliers, a pair of side-cutters, fold-up scissors, 100MPH tape, an Xacto knife, and a toothbrush.

2. In the top of the tool box: A spare for anything that could fail and be easily repaired at the field to keep me in the air for the rest of the day. This stuff is landing gear and wing bolts, prop nut, wheel collar, fuel tubing, servo arm, servo screw, CA hinge, control horn.

3. In the flightline box: Manual fueling system and fuel, chicken stick, spare props, spare glow plugs, Glow plug wrench, idle-screw driver, glow lighter, tach.

If this sounds like a lot, well...the tool box is 13" x 7" x 3", and the flightline box is a modified GP E-Box.

Dr.1
Old 08-21-2007, 01:29 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

ICE AND A SIX PACK

all the above and i like a full set of allen wrenches. chargers and a "Widget plug set" that is a soldered up universal (custom to your stuff) set of plugs for charging...glow plug driver, radio, airplane rx and elect starter battery.

2" wide clear packing tape!! a must for minor covering boo boos.

extra aileron lead

i also have a "magic box" that i can get about anthing a new guy needs ..clevis, misc nuts and anything at all for SSC combat planes from spare carb parts, linkages etc., as i can and have replaced each and evey part at one time or another flying combat.[>:]

I am a registered nurse so I carry the mother of all first aid kits!![sm=72_72.gif]
Old 08-21-2007, 02:17 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

A length of rope to hold the plane. I have a few planes without landing gear and they're short so the rope on our tables at the field won't reach. I bring a piece of 1/4" braided rope to add on to reach and tie off my planes so the props can hang over the opposite side of the table.

somegeek
Old 08-21-2007, 02:29 PM
KW_Counter

An extra fuel tank set up to catch the fuel that comes out of the tank when it reaches full.
No need to put this on the ground or to waste it.
KW_Counter
Old 08-21-2007, 03:58 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Field Box,

Pictures are worth a thousand words and quicker! Here's my box and the drawer is full of everything I always needed and didn't have. Well it's there now. Even a manual fuel pump to back up the electric if it fails. Nothing like ending a pretty day because of a bad pump. I just take out the props seperate for the plane or planes I'll be flying.

Gibbs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66295.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	746520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89948.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	746521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84560.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	746522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69386.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	746523  
Old 08-21-2007, 09:22 PM
Alex7403

As less as possible, as little as possible, only the must for flying, the rest helpful stuff is in my trunk.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20171.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	746797  
Old 08-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Wild Foamy

hmm, lets see

First Shelf: tweezers, pen, clutchbell, screwdrivers, chicken stick, pritt stick, allen keys, 4 x Tmaxx primary drive gears, an old 21BB Piston and liner, Glowstart and some hinges

Second Shelf:
Rubber bands, 7,000 wt Differential oil, 5,000 differential oil, a new syringe full of 1 hr epoxy, a 21BB underhead, 2 props, a traxxas EZ-start motor, a few Clutchbell bearings

Third Shelf: lots of servo horns and accesories, some needle files, glow wrench and glow plugs, 21BB engine case, a few more allen keys, a ruler, 2 more shredded primary drive gears

Bottom of the toolbox:
Hobby knife, fuel pump, mole grips, more screwdrivers, mroe allen keys, some string, some stickers, 2 7.2v stick packs, more rubber bands, 2x Tmaxx suspension arms, 4 x Savage shock absorbers, bottle of Tipex, After run oil, some masking tape

Quite often i will go to the field with just fuel, a pack of mini screwdrivers, my chicken stick, glowstart and glow wrench and nothing else, most of the stuff in my toolbox is random c**p that ive gathered over the years which i never use.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:57 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: alex7403

As less as possible, as little as possible, only the must for flying, the rest helpful stuff is in my trunk.
I couldn't agree more here. I have seen guys that have enough tools and materials with them at the field that they could build a plane there. And it shows when they are trying to carry a field box to the flight line that weighs 1,100 lbs!!!!! In my flight box I only carry what I need on the flight line, AND NOTHING ELSE. Fuel, battery, field charger, fuel pump, fuel catch tank, tach/battery meter, tent stake and rope, electric starter, chicken stick, and glow driver. That's all I need on the flight line and that's all I take out there. I do have a small toolbox that I leave in the truck that has allen wrenches, open and box end wrenches, screwdrives, extra glow plugs, props, fuel tubing, and a small assortment of screws and bolts. If I can't fix it at the field with this small collection of tools then it probably shouldn't be fixed at the field anyway because the repairs require more than I have. I seen more than my share of crashes caused by people in a hurry to get in the are and rushed a repair, or did a quicky repair that didn't hold. If it's not an easy repair I put the plane back in my truck and take it home to repair. But I usually take 2-4 planes to the field so I'm not grounded by one that needs to go home to be fixed.

Ken
Old 08-22-2007, 04:48 PM
NCIS

Ken,

I agree totally! My field box that is pictured above weighs less than the gallon of fuel and battery with what I have in it. The drawer isn't to big and I just carry enough stuff to fit the normal everyday nuts, bolts, and allen head bolts. Plus a small phillips and standard screwdriver. Oh, I always take along a small needle nose plyers. I've seen some of those repairs where they end up in crashed or additional damage. This Winter I'm going to build my own table for the pit area like a few other members have done and inside they have everything locked up. Then I won't even have to lift a finger or a fieldbox. Plus it will be built by me for my style of planes and nobody else will use it. That way I'll always know I have a table even on event days.

Gibbs
Old 08-22-2007, 10:21 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

I pack 2 boxes.. one for starting and one for setup/repairs..
The startup box is a Hobbico Ultra Tote.
It has the fuel, Dave Brown pump, 12v battery, starter panel, Starter motor, cordless glow driver, spare battery for glow driver, corded glow driver (backup plan c if the cordless dies), screwdriver for idle screw, locking forceps (fuel line pinchers ans small parts grabber), 1/4 drive socket handle with a glow plug size deep well socket, cressent wrench for prop nuts, spare glow plugs, globee tach, windex and paper towels.

the other box has rubber bands, spare props, assorted screws, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, a leatherman, x-acto handle and #11 blades, packing tape, CA, 5 min epoxy, servo arms and screws, battery meeter, wheel collars, clevises, and some fuel tubing
Old 08-23-2007, 04:30 AM
forestroke

I'm an everything into one:

power panel
12V cell
glow stick
glow adapter
starter
extra props
extra glow plugs
prop wrench
screwdrivers
allen wrench set
pliers
cutters
electric tape
4-stroke adjustment set
windex
cleaning rags
tachometer
bunch of rubberbands
fuel
electric fuel pump
72mhz signal detector (whatever it's called)
couple of frequency badges
think thats about all...

heavy as hell...
Old 08-23-2007, 04:40 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

What's in my field box you ask?

Well, let's see: I see three old glow plugs, one new OS-F, one OS-8 glow plugs, some dirty paper towels, an electric starter, a chicken stick, a glow driver.. in fact, three glow drivers, two broken props (these are quite old because I have not broken a prop in a couple of years now), and a new APC 12-8 and a new 15-10, both in the bags they came in, a busted spinner (probably from the broken prop), one spare RX battery, and let's see... ah, there's also a 12 volt gel-cell for the electric starter, one clothes pin (spring type), a few over-streteched rubber bands plus about a half box of new ones, a frequency banner, and a roll of scotch tape. There is also a small handful of grass blades from when the guy was cutting the grass while I was at the field a few weeks ago.

I also have some tools scattered around on the top of the box and in the drawers. Enough, I imagine, to do an adequate field repair.

Ok. You shamed me into cleaning it out and re-stocking it [&o]